Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2017 8:50:30 PM EDT
I have been looking at the LWRCi DI rifles for some time now and I am trying to determine why there seems to be so much negativity toward their rifles? I understand there were some management issues years ago and that many people are not piston fans, but their new DI line seems to have a lot to offer at a reasonable price.

As a lefty, I can appreciate the fact they have a very nice full ambi lower and charging handle. Whether you prefer the coating or not, the bolt carrier is a very useful one piece design. Their barrels have always been considered accurate and I don't believe there have been complaints about reliability. I know their barrel fluting is typically not desired and while I would prefer a different design, the reduced weight is a big plus in my mind. I had two of their piston guns years ago and sold them because they were so front heavy. These seem significantly lighter.  

I am not a big fan of the proprietary rail system, but the new M-LOK rail looks really nice. Lastly, the price seems very reasonable for all of the features they are offering.

So why does nearly every LWRCi thread end up with a bunch of bickering when people chime in claiming their rifles are garbage and to go buy another brand with far less features for more money? I don't get it....

As I mentioned, I have had a couple of their rifle previously, but sold them because of the weight, not because of a function issue. I am considering trying one of their DI rifles, which is why I have the question. Looking at everything objectively, I would think there would be more positive remarks and recommendations for their rifles.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno, my buddy has a REPR and he loves it......  
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I love mine
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
my M6A2 is going on six years with many rounds and no issues.

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Great rifles, and even better customer service.

Have 2 PSD SBRs and a few M6ICs, one M6DI.

I'm guessing any of the discontent is from Paul Wise who worked for LWRC in the very early days.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of the posts I've seen about the LWRC DI rifles have been positive.

I owned two of them, but sold them because as much as I wanted to love them, I just couldn't. Solid machining, and fit/finish was amazing. It was a great rifle to look at.

The reason I sold them was due to performance. It grouped decently, but the felt recoil was a bit odd compared to my other rifles. I tried tuning the buffer system with heavier buffers and a Geissele spring, but it still felt overgassed, even at 16" midlength.

Obviously, this is all subjective. I'm still glad I gave them a chance, but it wasn't for me.

Their M-Lok handguard is amazing, btw!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've honestly never heard anything but good things about LWRCi, even though I've never owned one.

If I were to get a piston rifle, it would almost certainly be made by them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an M6A2 SPR for about 5 years now. Very accurate in fact one of my most accurate AR's and have  never had a single problem.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#8]
LWRC makes great rifles, and there are some great deals right now on the DI guns now that the price has been lowered.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#9]
All i can say is i love my DI.  I got one of the pre-mlok versions when they went on sale a couple months back for an absurd price (something like $1020 after shipping and transfer).   I think they're a good deal at their normal price (~$1500) in comparison to their competition at that price point (DD and BCM).   I felt like i was stealing getting it for $1k.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I think most of the negativity would come from the guys that hate piston systems, and maybe Paul having worked for them.

I've handled quite a few of their rifles (never shot one unfortunately), and they all felt a little front heavy, but otherwise I was always impressed with the fit and finish.  If funds allowed, I'd certainly look into one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
No issues with mine other than them releasing the mlok handguard a month or so after my purchase.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, the gun culture has lots of fanboi's and haters that aren't always driven by qualifiable facts.  Opinions are great, but sometimes bias enters the picture.

While I have one LWRC, the rest of my 10 AR's are DI's built by me.  As far as issues, I've only had to drill the gas port on one of those home builds to get it to perform 100%, and I've had no issues whatsoever with the LWRC.

On sdrake's comment about recoil, I was curious as to what specific model and gas length size he had.  I found something interesting.  I had an M6A2 with carbine gas that had a little more felt recoil than my DI AR's all of which have mid to rifle length gas systems...two pistols excluded.  There was an immediate issue with an ambi control attributed to a component in the upper, and the dealer took the gun back and swapped for a new upper.  The new one was an M6A2-S which has a mid-length gas system.  The dealer just said..."upgrade for your troubles".

Now, while this is not a night-and-day difference, I can detect a notably softer recoil in this S model and feels much more akin to my DI AR's with mid-gas.  Hey...it's not like 5.56 has much recoil anyway, but this S model is more pleasant.  So that's why I ask sdrake about his experience with his LWRC(s).

Edit:  Ooops...missed where sdrake mentioned a mid-length gas system...so...nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been enjoying my piston SPR for a few years now and it has performed very well through a few thousand rounds. I just recently picked up one of their DI guns for just over $1k shipped which also included, for free, a set of their backup iron sights.. can't beat that deal. I've started shooting the DI gun a bit and it has performed well so far (only about 90 rounds). The recoil impulse does feel a bit different than my piston SPR, but I also don't have it set up with the optic I want yet (Trijicon Accupower 1-8 red mil ret in a Geissele mount is on the way). For what you get with the ambi lower, which I really love and it is a true ambi lower (bolt catch AND release), I really don't think you can beat the deal. There are a lot of great ARs out there and I don't have any experience with most of them, but so far I have been impressed and satisfied with my LWRCs. I'll definitely try more brands in the future and currently have plans for my first SBR build (or just a pistol build), but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another LWRC either.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably just bias from those of us that don't really care for piston driven AR's.

IMO, they make great guns, even though I would only purchase a DI model.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been enjoying my piston SPR for a few years now and it has performed very well through a few thousand rounds. I just recently picked up one of their DI guns for just over $1k shipped which also included, for free, a set of their backup iron sights.. can't beat that deal. I've started shooting the DI gun a bit and it has performed well so far (only about 90 rounds). The recoil impulse does feel a bit different than my piston SPR, but I also don't have it set up with the optic I want yet (Trijicon Accupower 1-8 red mil ret in a Geissele mount is on the way). For what you get with the ambi lower, which I really love and it is a true ambi lower (bolt catch AND release), I really don't think you can beat the deal. There are a lot of great ARs out there and I don't have any experience with most of them, but so far I have been impressed and satisfied with my LWRCs. I'll definitely try more brands in the future and currently have plans for my first SBR build (or just a pistol build), but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another LWRC either.
View Quote
   Would you please let me know who the retailer is?  I have been wanting one of these rifles and a set of sights would push me into making the purchase.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Full ambi, mlok LWRC for $1,000 is a great deal. I agree with some people that the spiral fluting on their barrels is cheesy looking.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think most of the negativity would come from the guys that hate piston systems, and maybe Paul having worked for them.

I've handled quite a few of their rifles (never shot one unfortunately), and they all felt a little front heavy, but otherwise I was always impressed with the fit and finish.  If funds allowed, I'd certainly look into one.
View Quote
I don't believe Paul has been part of them for a long time and they seem to be an evolving company these days. That being said...I am more concerned about the product than a soap oprah from years ago. The new DI product has definitely piqued my interest and the price seems right.

Thank you for all of the replies, please keep em' coming.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#18]
"I agree with some people that the spiral fluting on their barrels is cheesy looking."

I thought the exact same thing , and then I totally forgot it when I started pulling the trigger .
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#19]
great guns and lots of fun, i havent ever had a issue
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Myself and everyone I know that have or previously owned LWRC rifles have been very satisfied with their performance and quality. The only knock I had was they were front heavy compared to standard DI rifles configured in a similar manner.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Best rifles I've ever owned.

Accurate, reliable, superbly made

I need another one

Begs the question, where is best deal??
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I owned one of their 6.8 shorties and it was a great rifle for what it was.  When they were selling at 1k, I think they were prob the best deal out there.  I'm also really digging operatorx's rifle.  Head to head against and SR15 or MRP, I'm going with the KAC or LMT but those are a bit more pricey.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, is there a specific thread you're referring to? Most of the recent ones I have read were very positive; specifically regarding the DI platform. I picked mine up on the EE for $850 shipped and have been very pleased. It really is a quality tool, and for the price, a no brainer for what you get.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't know OP.

I've never had an issue with my SPR and I haven't read lots of complaints nor people with issues.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Great rifles, and even better customer service.

Have 2 PSD SBRs and a few M6ICs, one M6DI.

I'm guessing any of the discontent is from Paul Wise who worked for LWRC in the very early days.
View Quote
I am thinking that this is correct.  Though it seeems odd to say that Paul Leitner Wise (as in the LW in LWRC) "worked" for the company.

I know nothing about the discontent and I may be completely off base with thinking that the guy did more than work for a company that was named after him.  I will say that the few LWRC rifles that I have handled seemed to be nice guns.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:56:15 AM EDT
[#26]
While I don't own one, I have shot them and the ones I have handled were very nice and well made. I would buy one...personally, I do not read much of anything negative about these rifles.

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP, is there a specific thread you're referring to? Most of the recent ones I have read were very positive; specifically regarding the DI platform. I picked mine up on the EE for $850 shipped and have been very pleased. It really is a quality tool, and for the price, a no brainer for what you get.
View Quote
No specific thread, just been my experience through the years. I have followed LWRCi for a long time, but fallen off the last two years, so some of the negativity I remember is not current and probably related to the piston rifles they sell. If you Google and look on various forums, it's not hard to find.

It looks like their current offerings have positive reviews, so I am most likely going to take the plunge on a new DI rifle. If anyone has pics, please post em' up!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I run mine with a Steiner P4XI.

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Full ambi, mlok LWRC for $1,000 is a great deal. I agree with some people that the spiral fluting on their barrels is cheesy looking.
View Quote
Agreed, I bought one though.  Only about 300 rounds down range, seems a bit more accurate than my KAC with 77gr TMK.  

Didn't the company have issues delivering ordered rifles a few years back?  I think that's part of their reputation.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Agreed, I bought one though.  Only about 300 rounds down range, seems a bit more accurate than my KAC with 77gr TMK.  

Didn't the company have issues delivering ordered rifles a few years back?  I think that's part of their reputation.
View Quote
Agreed. I think their IC product line was delayed, which created some negativity. Their IC line produced the full ambi lower, which I am a big fan of, so I guess it was worth the weight.

I am hoping to find one this week with the M-Lok rail.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I own their PDW and it's pretty great. Amazing fit and finish and a very "cohesive" package. I'm buying their DI gun next week. Never heard anything negative about them except their pricing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Would you please let me know who the retailer is?  I have been wanting one of these rifles and a set of sights would push me into making the purchase.
View Quote
D&L Shooting Supplies in Warwick, RI. I found it on Gunbroker and the extra sights are what made me bid on that specific auction as well. Not sure if they have anymore in stock, but it is a great deal!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't seen one with the MLOK go that cheap - usually the MLOK models have been going for just north of $1200. Maybe someone found one around $1000 though. That would be a great deal!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#35]
There's a lot of trend following, sensitivity, brand loyalty and self compensating in this consumer market. Can't really tell if someones feed back is motivated by emotions and ego. Additionally 2 people having a fault/problem will be amplified and echoed by 2000 others on the internet. I have not heard anything bad regarding LWRCi - with that being said, if you want one just get it and give it a try.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I haven't seen one with the MLOK go that cheap - usually the MLOK models have been going for just north of $1200. Maybe someone found one around $1000 though. That would be a great deal!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/860942000229?upc_only=1&mobile=true

Been below $1,100 for two or three months now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/860942000229?upc_only=1&mobile=true

Been below $1,100 for two or three months now.
View Quote
Yes but I don't think that is the MLOK version. I got my standard DI rifle with free LWRC iron sights for like $1059 shipped. The MLOK versions I have seen have been around $1200-1300.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#38]
LWRC rifles are good to go one guy I know worked for the State Dept and his own had over 80,000 rounds with no problems and very few clean ups .
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#39]
How do these compare to the DDM4V7 ?
I kind of wish I would of gotten one of the LWRCi rifles instead of the DD I bought.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I would say that in terms of cost / quality, these $1000 LWRCi's are the best post-MAGA AR deal to date.

We've seen lots of $800 AR's going for $450, but this is the only $1600 AR for $1000 that I can recall.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#41]

I absolutely love my IC-Di fantastic rifle I paid about ~$1250 for it but that was before the current sale that is going on. Very accurate in my shooting experience and I have not had any issues with it in the ~2,500 rounds I have down the pipe so far!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#42]
You have the exact model I want as I think the grey looks distinctive and will stand out in my safe from all the black ARs.  Trying to find one at a price close to the regular black model is a bit of a challenge.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/YbQqCh5h.jpg

I absolutely love my IC-Di fantastic rifle I paid about ~$1250 for it but that was before the current sale that is going on. Very accurate in my shooting experience and I have not had any issues with it in the ~2,500 rounds I have down the pipe so far!
View Quote
That looks great. I got mine out yesterday and put a few hundred rounds through it. Had a Proctor (Troy) comp installed and the thing is super flat shooting now. I also got some time behind my new Trijicon Accupower 1-8 and that damn scope is awesome! I haven't had a chance to stretch it past 50 yet, but initial observations are that the glass is super clear, it seems to be a true 1x, and it is basically red dot fast. Eye relief is good and shooting both eyes open is comfortable and not a problem at all (not sure if it is with other scopes as I don't have much experience with variable power optics).

Side note: I'd like to start posting pics, but we all know about Photobucket and for some reason this forum on Tapatalk sucks (at least on my phone). Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That looks great. I got mine out yesterday and put a few hundred rounds through it. Had a Proctor (Troy) comp installed and the thing is super flat shooting now. I also got some time behind my new Trijicon Accupower 1-8 and that damn scope is awesome! I haven't had a chance to stretch it past 50 yet, but initial observations are that the glass is super clear, it seems to be a true 1x, and it is basically red dot fast. Eye relief is good and shooting both eyes open is comfortable and not a problem at all (not sure if it is with other scopes as I don't have much experience with variable power optics).

Side note: I'd like to start posting pics, but we all know about Photobucket and for some reason this forum on Tapatalk sucks (at least on my phone). Any suggestions?
View Quote
I take pics on my phone and then make albums on Imgur.  Then I wait til I get home and link my imgur albums to my posts.  

Not exactly what you're asking but this one has worked for me for awhile
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#45]
For those who have bought the LWRCi DI, how is the factory "enhanced trigger."?

I know it's Nickel boron coated, wondering whether it's good to go as is, or if I should plan on getting an aftermarket trigger.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use a site called postimages.org and it works great. Photobucket sucks.

For those of you with experience using both, how does LWRC's ambi lower compare to a Knight's lower? Aside from the LWRC having a right side bolt hold and release snd the KAC only having right side release, which do you prefer?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
For those who have bought the LWRCi DI, how is the factory "enhanced trigger."?

I know it's Nickel boron coated, wondering whether it's good to go as is, or if I should plan on getting an aftermarket trigger.
View Quote
The trigger is fine and good all around, but as far as whether you'll like it, or not, depends on your expectations and intended use of the gun.

Their trigger basically compares to an ALG ACT, BCM PNT, or a Spikes Battle Trigger. Nothing spectacular, just a polished up/coated mil-spec unit.

Like I said, it's a good all around trigger that suits most people's intended use just fine. Don't expect it to compare to a Geissele or LaRue two-stage, though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The trigger is fine and good all around, but as far as whether you'll like it, or not, depends on your expectations and intended use of the gun.

Their trigger basically compares to an ALG ACT, BCM PNT, or a Spikes Battle Trigger. Nothing spectacular, just a polished up/coated mil-spec unit.

Like I said, it's a good all around trigger that suits most people's intended use just fine. Don't expect it to compare to a Geissele or LaRue two-stage, though.
View Quote
I agree with this. It is a good mil-spec unit that's been polished up. I am probably going to try a Geissele in my DI gun and that will most likely lead to a Geissele in the piston gun too.. and then in my other AR build.. because, well.. Geissele. But yeah the stock LWRC trigger will get the job done, it's just a little heavy for my taste.

By the way guys, thanks for the info regarding uploading pics to this forum.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#49]
This thread needs some pics! Piston gun is tan. DI gun is black. Aimpoint T1 on the piston gun and Trijicon Accupower 1-8 in a Geissele mount on the DI gun.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#50]
After I saw what IV8888 did to that piston POF there is no other piston gun I'd but than that.
Omg wait, you said di. Never mind lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top