BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2017 10:48:33 PM EDT
I've been trying to put together a "do-all" carbine.  The goal is something I can use for predator hunting, 3gun, self defense, plinking, shooting out to 200m-500m, etc.  I wanted it to be more accurate than what it was replacing without sacrificing reliability, or too much weight.

I started with a basic DPMS I bought years ago, which was starting to open up accuracy wise.

I added a 16" midlength barrel from Ballistic Advantage, 15" dickmod rail, and a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x.

This is how it sits now (but with the scope mounted):

I was trying out some different bullet weights this weekend, (unfortunately it seems to like heavy weight bullets) and I noticed the trigger seems especially heavy.  I'd like to get something lighter, crisper, but not too ridiculous.  I don't want or need a $300 trigger.  Actually under $200 would be great.  I'm also not sure if I want a single or two stage trigger.  

What would you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been very happy with the RRA NM triggers for many years...
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Larue MBT for $125 is damned hard to beat in the price range you're talking about.  It's a 2-stage and falls between the Geissele SSA and SSA-E in quality of the break.

Now the caveats:
--First, I don't have nearly the number of rounds through my MBT-equipped rifles as I do under my Geissele-equipped rifles (the MBTs are fairly new), so longevity is yet to be proven...but I have faith in Larue manufacturing and expect a long life.
--Second, the face of the MBT is fairly wide and the edges a little sharp (although that may have improved recently).  Some people don't like the feel of that face.
--Third, the $125 price is a "I can wait" price, so you may have to wait a little while for it to ship...but someone posted a few days ago that theirs shipped 20 minutes after he placed the order.  Times vary, but if you can't tolerate that, there's a more expensive "I want it now" option (maybe $199? check their website).
--And fourth, a bunch of people don't like Larue purely because the company owner/founder is a bit abrasive sometimes.  If you shop according to the personality of the owner, this might matter to you.  On the other hand, he's been very generous to his customer base, and as far as I'm concerned, he can say nasty things about my mother as long as he keeps selling me high-quality parts.

Bottom line, the MBT is not a "bargain" trigger.  It's a very good trigger...at a bargain price.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
It does not meet your price range, but I have a Wilson Combat TTU 3G trigger unit in my all around AR15.  The rifle is my home defense AR and I use it for 3 gun.  The trigger helped to improve the accuracy of the rifle tremendously.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#4]
LaRue trigger is really nice, I just got one an really like it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The trigger you're looking for is a Giselle SSA.  They are perfect for the parameters you stated.

But OlGunner's post is spot on.

I've got three of the Giselles and love then but  l really want to try the LaRue trigger.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice looking gun.  Gisselle, all the way.  The standard price is outside your range, but if you wait, eventually you'll find some kind of deal.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:13:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally I absolutely love my Del-ton 2 stage, especially since it can be had for $100 or under. About a 4-4.5lb overall, with a plenty clean enough break and almost no overtravel, finishing with a good reset. There's crisper and shorter and lighter triggers out there, but for a do-all build (which is exactly what mine is for), I really can't find fault with it.

But, if I ever get another trigger, I'm likely going with the LaRue MBT because I really want to try that out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#8]
My G2S from Geissele meets all your parameters OP, and I'm very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:23:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure there is a "Do-All" rifle

As mentioned LaRue MBT and Geissele G2S good for the $$$.  I dropped CMC Standard 3.5 Flat in my last build to T&E.  They offer a variety of triggers.  The price ($195) is at the top of your budget, so check Midway or Rainier Arms for deals.

I say it's time to build another rifle  
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
My vote is for the RRA NM triggers too.

I'm curious on the difference in accuracy/AR performance for each shot, all parameters exactly the same (including different scenarios), between identical trigger type $100 vs. $300 trigger.

IMO not enough difference to really matter.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Get the LaRue trigger and don't look back... I just got one and love it. And I put it on my "Do it all" " Mid length as well with a 1x5 LPV.

And it is a "do All" gun...

Good long/med range precision rig... fast up close and personnel.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the RRA NM trigger, and the ALG Enhanced Combat trigger.  Happy with both!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Hiperfire you will never go back
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#14]
The JP Rifles adjustable trigger is the best trigger I've ever felt. You can mix and match springs to change the pull weight within the range of 3-5 lbs, set the takeup and overtravel to your preferences and have it all in a milspec type trigger for around $125 (Brownells) and a modest amount of gun smithing, or $200 for the JP EZ Trigger if you don't want to hone the trigger for the selector.  Everyone who has shot my rifle with a 3½-4 lb pull, 3mm total travel trigger liked it.  I also recommend using inexpensive anti-walk pins with it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was trying out some different bullet weights this weekend, (unfortunately it seems to like heavy weight bullets) and I noticed the trigger seems especially heavy.  I'd like to get something lighter, crisper, but not too ridiculous.  I don't want or need a $300 trigger.  Actually under $200 would be great.  I'm also not sure if I want a single or two stage trigger.  

What would you guys recommend?
View Quote

I'd get an RRA NM 2-stage trigger (4.5#).  You could go with the Varmint option if you want even lighter (3.5#).  In either case, under $90 delivered and the triggers are excellent.

http://www.ar15sales.com/store/miscparts.html
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for the MBT. Great trigger and a very modest price. It is a two stage, but works well for just about any shooting style.

Another inexpensive option is the Velocity, which is a self contained drop-in. About the same cost as the LaRue, but it is a single stage and available in several pull weights.

Then there is the ALG ACT. This seems to be everyone's favorite for an enhanced mill spec FCG.  Around $70.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure there is a "Do-All" rifle

As mentioned LaRue MBT and Geissele G2S good for the $.  I dropped CMC Standard 3.5 Flat in my last build to T&E.  They offer a variety of triggers.  The price ($195) is at the top of your budget, so check Midway or Rainier Arms for deals.

I say it's time to build another rifle  
View Quote
OP....you need to first decide on a 1-stage or 2-stage trigger.  It would narrow down the recommendations by half.

I love, love, love my Geissele triggers (when I prefer a rifle with 2-stage pull).  For a couple of nice single-stage triggers, I have several CMC 3.5-lb. curved triggers. and they've been great. Can be found on E-bay for under $150.  I also am liking the Rise Armament RA-140 3.5-lb. curved trigger that can be had on E-bay for around $110.  I have two of these and imo, they are the best bang-for-the-buck out there.

I wish you luck in your decision.  Lots of good choices.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OP....you need to first decide on a 1-stage or 2-stage trigger.  It would narrow down the recommendations by half.

I love, love, love my Geissele triggers (when I prefer a rifle with 2-stage pull).  For a couple of nice single-stage triggers, I have several CMC 3.5-lb. curved triggers. and they've been great. Can be found on E-bay for under $150.  I also am liking the Rise Armament RA-140 3.5-lb. curved trigger that can be had on E-bay for around $110.  I have two of these and imo, they are the best bang-for-the-buck out there.

I wish you luck in your decision.  Lots of good choices.
View Quote
Yea... I'm not sure if I want a single stage or two stage.  If a single stage, I'd think it would need some take up since this isn't going to be a range gun only.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#19]
LaRue MBT
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]
For the price the MBT is hard to beat.  The poster above hit it spot on with his review of it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LaRue MBT
View Quote
Yup!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Geissele SD-C, basically the SSA with a flat trigger face. By far my favorite general use trigger, and I own or have owned most of the popular ones.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#24]
My favorite trigger is a SSA-E, but the MBT is pretty damn nice for the money.

I just bought one, and it shipped next day at the 'I can wait' price.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Larue MBT-2S (same trigger everyone else is referencing). This is almost a do it all trigger. First stage take-up freaks some shooters out at first, but those people are a very small sample from the bucket of folks who have only shot stock GI triggers (even your average internet commando has come to know and love the Larue MBT). Once you become accustomed to the Larue, you will truly appreciate how crisp the break is, along with the improved accuracy. This price is an added bonus.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#26]
MBT vote here.  Price hard to beat, feel is excellent, made from S7 tool steel, and love the way the trigger shoe\face feels.

I have 5 MBT, several RRA NM, 1 G SSA, some mil-style-spec.  Still want a G SD3G.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#27]
G2S is a great trigger.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#28]
If you decide single stage, I love the PoF 4.5lb.  It goes for $160, I got it on sale for $116 and it comes with KNS pins.  I personally favor single stage, this has become my favorite I've experienced yet, but I've had two-stage users try it and find it awkward because it breaks fast and surprises you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#29]
For general all around use on an AR, Geissele SSA is the tried and true solution.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:45:25 AM EDT
[#30]
+1 on the Larue MBT
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:39:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you decide single stage, I love the PoF 4.5lb.  It goes for $160, I got it on sale for $116 and it comes with KNS pins.  I personally favor single stage, this has become my favorite I've experienced yet, but I've had two-stage users try it and find it awkward because it breaks fast and surprises you.
View Quote
THIS. It's my favorite trigger as well. I also like the cheapo PSA EPT triggers. But for a clean break, short reset, I LOVE the POF 4.5. I like "do all" triggers as well, which is why I will NOT (!) have a trigger less than 4.5#. Just don't do it. 4.5 is the LOWEST you'll want to go with anything that you may ever use for self defense use. I think 4.5 is the perfect fine line between accuracy and "duty" use. Not sure if they still do, but JoeBob's used to have them for $125 including a free LPK (all POF triggers come with KNS pins as well).
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:51:11 AM EDT
[#32]
If 3 gun is the goal then I'd look no further than Geissele's 3 gun trigger, SD3G. It's amazing but will bust on your price as it is roughly a $250 dollar trigger.

My choice for a do all trigger would be a Geissele G2S. It will meet your price requirement at roughly $150. It's a great trigger as well.

I have 2 Geissele SSA-E's and it is my preferred trigger.  

Can you tell what brand I like?

Edit to add: I would also look at a MBT I just can't recommend it as I don't have any experience with that one. I'm not saying only get a Geissele, it's just what I have experience with (and a RRA 2 stage which is decent for the money but I prefer Geissele).

Good deal on a SSA-E in the EE (I am not affiliated in anyway with the seller) SSA-E

Another good deal on SSA-E and 3 gun in your price range. Again no affiliation with the seller SSA-E and 3 gun in EE
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Just a note to point out that the Larue MBT is on sale right now for $99 (not a "wait for it" price, so hopefully they'll ship pretty quick). That even comes with their "chassis" for mocking up the FCG so you can see how it works.  Not sure if that's a plus or minus, but for $99 plus shipping, it's a heckuva value.

I should also point out I'm not an all-Larue all-the-time fanbois.  I do have a few of their barrels, several of their triggers, and a bunch of their scope mounts, but I also own and shoot triggers from Geissele, CMC, Timney, KAC and others--all of which are outstanding gear.  If any of THEM become available for $99, I will stack them all deep.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#34]
In reference to what we mentioned earlier AIM has the POF for $124 right now too.  As of today!

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPOF00457&name=POF-USA+AR15%2fAR10+4.5lb+Trigger+w%2f+KNS+Anti+Rotation+Pins&groupid=8045
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
I saw that.  Played with some different triggers this afternoon, and I think I like two stage triggers.  Any idea what the lead time will be on these sale triggers?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Larue MBT is my go to SPR and general purpose trigger. You missed the $99 sale that happened today.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Larue MBT is my go to SPR and general purpose trigger. You missed the $99 sale that happened today.
View Quote
Well shit...

I finally got to sit down after work, dinner, and doing the dad thing.  I was going to order it tonight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
LaRue trigger is really nice, I just got one an really like it.
View Quote
+1 Just got mine a week ago. Now im not sure what to do with my SSAs...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#40]
You shouldnt have a problem finding a Geissele g2s, ssa or ssa-e in your price range
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I have the MBT and G2S. Both are good to go.

I am really looking forward to the new SSP triggers and will be trying those when they become available.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hiperfire you will never go back
View Quote
This. For the price, you can't beat their EDT, I have it in all my AR's now: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XHTEDT&name=HIPERFIRE+HIPERTOUCH+EDT+Performance+AR+Trigger&groupid=2357

Tomac
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Send them to me for proper disposal.  They will go on serious duty grade rifles.  Not saying the MBT two stage isn't that durable and rugged, but we know the SSA is a combat proven two stage trigger.  There is a long history of excellent performance and reliability under extreme conditions with both the SSF (full auto) and its civilian semi auto equivalent,  SSA in military and LE ARs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#44]
My first, and only, "nice" trigger was a Geissele SD3G, and... it was a night and day difference. I would HIGHLY suggest looking at their site, doing some digging, they even have a "trigger selector guide" tool, and then taking advantage of the 25% off sale going on right now at a few sites. I just ordered two more. Primary Arms has them for $180 plus a few bucks for shipping. I haven't seen a side by side comparison with the Larue MBT version, so that may not be a bad route either.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nice looking gun.  Gisselle, all the way.  The standard price is outside your range, but if you wait, eventually you'll find some kind of deal.
View Quote
All Geissele products are now on sale at Primary Arms. The triggers should be in your price range now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Try an MBT.....  Youll end up getting more!  Just ordered my 4th yesterday.  So all my mil-spec triggers are gone and I have 4 MBT's and one G2S in my guns.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Larue MBT or if you want a tiny bit more weight a Geissele G2S. I prefer the Geissele, the larue is a little lighter but both are great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Ended up ordering a G2S from Primary Arms for $126 today.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Send them to me for proper disposal.  They will go on serious duty grade rifles.  Not saying the MBT two stage isn't that durable and rugged, but we know the SSA is a combat proven two stage trigger.  There is a long history of excellent performance and reliability under extreme conditions with both the SSF (full auto) and its civilian semi auto equivalent,  SSA in military re and LE ARs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send them to me for proper disposal.  They will go on serious duty grade rifles.  Not saying the MBT two stage isn't that durable and rugged, but we know the SSA is a combat proven two stage trigger.  There is a long history of excellent performance and reliability under extreme conditions with both the SSF (full auto) and its civilian semi auto equivalent,  SSA in military re and LE ARs.
I'm only playing, I still love my SSAs and plan on keeping them but if I could go back and do it again, I'm not sure the SSAs merit the extra $110 over the MBT. I feel like the quality of the SSA and MBT are very evenly matched. The price does not show that, however. Can't go wrong with either in all honesty as they are both outstanding.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top