Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/4/2017 5:58:35 PM EDT
Is there a "more correct" bbl length, 10.3" vs 10.5" inches for the EOD Carbines?

I was reading an old Small Arms Review article about MK18's, and the article stated that 10.5" was the initial length then it was decided to go to 10.3" It seems to me then that either would be appropriate for a clone, just one would be earlier than the other. Those in the know please chime in.

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1381
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#1]
You had me confused at "EOD Carbine".  I was an EOD operator for more than 35 years, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody would think an EOD operator needed a special firearm.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You had me confused at "EOD Carbine".  I was an EOD operator for more than 35 years, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody would think an EOD operator needed a special firearm.
View Quote
US Navy EOD falls under Naval Special Warfare (NSW)...  Therefore they had the Mk18 which was a 10.5" M4 upper.

It seems to me that the OP is attempting to build a clone of what EOD may or may not have carried.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you follow the link you can read about it. Evidently someone in the chain of command thought it would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:05:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

US Navy EOD falls under Naval Special Warfare (NSW)...  Therefore they had the Mk18 which was a 10.5" M4 upper.

It seems to me that the OP is attempting to build a clone of what EOD may or may not have carried.
View Quote

99.999999% of all Mk18 uppers are 10.3", not 10.5".

OP, every one of the USN "EOD rifles" I've seen have been 10.3".
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

This.

Not only is he wrong on the 10.5 part, but also on the EOD having Mk18's part. The Mk18 Mod 0's spent their lives on a ship as they were intended to, and EOD doesn't. Lol don't believe me, ask the dude who was there.

@usnguns
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not exactly.....they fall under Navy Expeditionary Combat Command.

.....and the uppers are 10.3" CQBRs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not exactly.....they fall under Navy Expeditionary Combat Command.

.....and the uppers are 10.3" CQBRs.
View Quote
Guess the last nearly sixteen years of EOD deploying with NSW threw me off...

So what's the story on BUPERS? www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/specwarops/Pages/default.aspx
or the recruiting page: https://www.navy.com/careers/special-operations

My bust on the length - it was a middle of the night post.  Although, weren't there 10.5% LMT barrels at one point?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Navy EOD was attached to my unit in Afghanistan.. so far as I can remember, they just had regular ol M4's like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]
10.3"

/thread
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
was this an actual argument over 0.2" of barrel length?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top