Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2016 7:05:03 PM EDT
Just picked up an ar-15, lower is an Anderson Mfg and the upper is an AA in 50 Beowulf.

Have been hunting, shooting and handloading for about 20 years, everything from 20 Practical, 223, 243, 6mm BR, 270, 30-06, 338-06, 7mm WSM, 357, 40 etc..  but new to the Beowulf.  

Tried a search sorry if this has all been covered but a cple of questions:

Load data:  Have seen AA's page, anywhere else to get good data, especially for cast and/or subsonic loads?

Cast bullets:  Have cast before but not for an ar.  Seems like you'd want to keep the hardness up and the velocity moderate, how about functionality?  

Basic stuff:  Ben doing a lot of research and will continue to but any links/tips on some basic Beowulf know how?  Things I need to know/watch out for?  

Basic intentions with this build are an accurate thumper for now, would eventually like to look into a suppressed system.  

Any and all info appreciated.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Should I have posted this in a different section?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I would post it in the Reloading section under the Armory Topic area.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Subsonic is gonna be iffy depending on your gas system. Bullet weight needs to be 500+. Pressures are low, I use powdercoated plain based bullets. I've done the bare lead with lube thing, it makes a mess and tends to collect on the tail of the bolt, not an issue with powdercoating.

For supers, it's hard to beat the Rainier 335grn plated bullets from midways for around $00.20 a piece, available as HP or solid.

Don't buy into the AA mags too deep. GI mags are easily converted and work fine.

I think the new #10 hornady manual has load data also.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome thanks.  Will keep digging and post again as needed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I read many years ago that the only collapsible stock to pass Bushmaster's testing of their .450 was an Vltor. Thus, when I put together my bigbore setup, I stuck with an Vltor or an A2.

No clue if it's true or not.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to know, thanks.  

New to the AR so need to read up some more on the different types of stocks etc.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top