Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/15/2016 3:39:54 PM EDT
What would be a fair asking price for a pre-Clinton AWB Colt 6520? I bought it new less than a year into the ban, and I rarely shoot it. It's been serving as my home defense AR. It's 100% stock except for the Elzetta light mount I put on it. Sadly, it has the stupid blocked lower. Round count is estimated at less than 1,000 rounds. Like I said, I rarely ever shoot it.

I don't have any pics of the whole rifle, just a close-up or two.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought only the "Sporter" version had the block.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought only the "Sporter" version had the block.
View Quote

I dunno. This one sure has it. Knowing how Colt was back in those days it doesn't surprise me that mine has it and others don't.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a NIB 6550 and was told it's worth $2,250?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
There are still a few states that would be happy to be able to buy a preban.  My best guess - 1200 to 1500 for them.  For non ban states 6-800.

A few years ago I picked up a Canadian Colt 6520.  It was a used PD gun.  They had a dozen or so of them for a little over 600 each.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Like was said above, it only has some extra value in ban states or to someone thrilled by the rollmark and markings on the rifle.
Things have changed in the industry in the last 25 years.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#6]
700-850 tops.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are still a few states that would be happy to be able to buy a preban.  My best guess - 1200 to 1500 for them.  For non ban states 6-800.

A few years ago I picked up a Canadian Colt 6520.  It was a used PD gun.  They had a dozen or so of them for a little over 600 each.
View Quote

I just picked up a Canadian PD trade in 6520 for $700
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Wish I had spare cash to offer, would love to have it as a mate to my 6720...
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Buds just sold a bunch of PD 6520s for $699.....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1940624_Colt-AR15-A2-Govt-for--699--good-deal-or-no-.html
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The thing is I would just use the lower as a base for something else if it weren't for that stupid block in the lower. I know it can be drilled out, but I'd rather not do that. I'd just rather sell the whole thing and start from scratch on another AR or use that money to fund something else. I want a Benelli M4, but they just seem overpriced and I'd like an ACOG too. My 13 year old son REALLY wants me to get the M4!
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The thing is I would just use the lower as a base for something else if it weren't for that stupid block in the lower. I know it can be drilled out, but I'd rather not do that. I'd just rather sell the whole thing and start from scratch on another AR or use that money to fund something else. I want a Benelli M4, but they just seem overpriced and I'd like an ACOG too. My 13 year old son REALLY wants me to get the M4!
View Quote

In good shape you might be able to pull $850-1000 for it.  Colt stopped making A2's...and some people still like them.  They're a handy carbine, but pretty useless if you want to use optics.  Preban isn't work much these days (maybe one or two states where it matters).  The block kills it for most people as well as you're limited to a semi auto or Colt C-style BCG.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In good shape you might be able to pull $850-1000 for it.  Colt stopped making A2's...and some people still like them.  They're a handy carbine, but pretty useless if you want to use optics.  Preban isn't work much these days (maybe one or two states where it matters).  The block kills it for most people as well as you're limited to a semi auto or Colt C-style BCG.
View Quote

I hate to sound like a used car salesman and I'm not trying to sell it here, but it's in excellent condition. Hardly fired that much considering it's 22 years old.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I hate to sound like a used car salesman and I'm not trying to sell it here, but it's in excellent condition. Hardly fired that much considering it's 22 years old.
View Quote

Well then.   It doesn't really matter what we tell you it's worth.  The only way to know for sure is to put it up for sale and see what the consumers are willing to pay.

Mark it for what you want and see what happens.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shoot for the moon then.  If you still have the original N/1 stock and 6 hole CAR handguards on it, and didn't part them out at any point, then it will return a little more value.  I paid $500 for my last 6520 (built in 2000) with a C style carrier but no sear block.  The sear block is not a desirable feature, and the only reason I'd purchase a rifle with one would be because I needed a preban lower.  An SP-1 Carbine will have a much higher value than your 6520.  So will a Green Label unblocked 6520.  If I were looking for one in the EE I wouldn't pay more than $900 for yours personally.  Especially not since a bunch of 6520's just hit the market (Canadian Diemaco lowers at that) for $699, and you can buy a new 6720 for $800 that comes with an M16 BCG and is more optic friendly.  Find the right buyer and you may get more.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well then.   It doesn't really matter what we tell you it's worth.  The only way to know for sure is to put it up for sale and see what the consumers are willing to pay.

Mark it for what you want and see what happens.

Good luck.
View Quote

I meant I wasn't trying to sell it in this thread, I appreciate all the info I've been given. I haven't fully decided if I want to sell it, I was just curious about the value. I didn't mean to sound like a pompous ass.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't let them get to you, you just asked for some info. They gave you there opinion. We all know what that's worth.
Go to Gun Broker and sign in to search sold fire arms. See what others are paying for pre bans. I recently sold an A2 H-BAR to a fellow
in one of those bad states up north. 1400.00, In a non ban state, it's only worth one price. In a ban state, much more.
Mike
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top