Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2016 8:24:18 AM EDT
I found what appears to be a great deal on the Christensen Arms CA-15 Recon - $2200 with no tax in MT. There isn't a whole lot out there about this gun in the way of reviews, but what I did see was mostly positive with the only downside being the cost. I figure at $2200, the cost is good compared to the normal price. Christensen guns in general seem to have mixed reviews - some people love them and some people say they are junk. There also seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there surrounding the use of carbon fiber barrels, so I'm not sure what to believe. For what it's worth, I do not plan on dumping 3 30 round mags through the gun in rapid succession and trying to melt the barrel. The gun supposedly has a bull barrel and can do so at a very light weight thanks to the carbon fiber.

Thoughts?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#1]
What is your intended use?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Coyote/predator hunting in MT predominately and I'd like to play with steel at long ranges for practice.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Coyote/predator hunting in MT predominately and I'd like to play with steel at long ranges for practice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would look at Larue  if I were you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which model?  Just curious, why not the CA-15?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I would stay away from polymer, not sure about carbon fiber though. I think bushmaster dove into them for awhile. Don't think there were good reviews.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just simply wouldn't trust the carbon fiber and haven't heard enough good about CA to recommend them

Larue has a great reputation of putting out high quality, accurate rifles. You can get a Predatar from larue for about $1800, which is cheaper than the CA you're looking at
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Christensen site says billet upper and lower, so the carbon fiber is just for the barrel (so not similar issue as polymer lowers etc)

Other than that, don't know anything about them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Christensen site says billet upper and lower, so the carbon fiber is just for the barrel (so not similar issue as polymer lowers etc)

Other than that, don't know anything about them.
View Quote

Yeah the barrel and handguard is carbon fiber.  What happens with the polymer lowers?

Thanks for the education!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to wonder how Christensen is getting Keymod to work on carbon fiber handguards... The machining required for in-spec Keymod slots is not trivial. You can't just cut Keymod-shaped holes in a handguard and call it good (not saying that's what CA is doing)...
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I've sold a bunch of them and have had no issues. The barrel is a steel barrel wrapped in carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Get it. The 3 I have shot have been AWESOME. Don't worry about the larue nut huggers saying the larue is the best because they have the 1moa all day challenge here on arfcom.... yet are decidedly absent from the snipers hide accuracy challenge..... those larue fan bois are the first to call my JP rifle a pile of junk because it didn't come with dillo dust....
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get it. The 3 I have shot have been AWESOME. Don't worry about the larue nut huggers saying the larue is the best because they have the 1moa all day challenge here on arfcom.... yet are decidedly absent from the snipers hide accuracy challenge..... those larue fan bois are the first to call my JP rifle a pile of junk because it didn't come with dillo dust....
View Quote

lol.  what is the snipers hide accuracy challenge you speak of?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:59:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't see that particular Christensen AR15 on their site.  Is this a new rifle or one no longer offered?  The three AR15's on their site look like they're described as SS barrels.

Carbon fiber.  I'm old enough to remember when it made the scene over the years into the performance automotive arena, motorcycles, bicycles, and by this time into all manner of doodads.  Done right and used in the right places, it's damn good stuff.  It's quite possible that the bulk of an AR could be made out carbon fiber.  It would probably carry an astronomical price.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I didn't see that particular Christensen AR15 on their site.  Is this a new rifle or one no longer offered?  The three AR15's on their site look like they're described as SS barrels.

Carbon fiber.  I'm old enough to remember when it made the scene over the years into the performance automotive arena, motorcycles, bicycles, and by this time into all manner of doodads.  Done right and used in the right places, it's damn good stuff.  It's quite possible that the bulk of an AR could be made out carbon fiber.  It would probably carry an astronomical price.
View Quote

This rifle is no longer being offered.  It came out a couple years ago and has since been replaced by their VTac model.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#15]
If i were going to spend 2k, id get a Larue or KAC.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If i were going to spend 2k, id get a Larue or KAC.
View Quote

This. Known quantities. Resale, consistent rep for quality, reliability, and accuracy. You may get all those things with the Christensen arms, (except resale) but they don't have the rep that the LaRue, and KAC do. If you're most concerned about accuracy go LaRue.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top