BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2016 1:52:35 PM EDT
Thinking about replacing the trigger in my go to rifle. It currently has an act in it but was thinking about throwing that in a new lower I'm doing and upgrading

My first thought turned to geissele obviously but I know the mbt is getting good reviews

What would you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Geissele SSA or LaRue MBT with the heavy spring if you want a two-stage.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thinking about replacing the trigger in my go to rifle. It currently has an act in it but was thinking about throwing that in a new lower I'm doing and upgrading

My first thought turned to geissele obviously but I know the mbt is getting good reviews

View Quote

Look no further than the Wilson Combat TTU
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
What is wrong with the ALG ACT?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Im in love with the ELFTMANN TACTICAL triggers.

Highly recommended
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing.

Like I said, moving it to another rifle and thought about trying something new
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
For HD or other high stress - 4.5 lb two stage SSA, although I use an SSA-E with a lot of range and drill time.  It's 3.5 lb pull through might be a bit light under stress if you don't spend a lot of time with it.  Most of my hunting rifles are set for about 3 pounds with single stage triggers, so that is my norm and I consider that safe.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Right now I have the Spikes NiB trigger with JP red/yellow springs in mine till my LT MBT trigger comes in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 to the Geissele SSA.  Bill has a video that explains which trigger to get for every scenario.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]
A single stage like the ALG ACT is fine, but something like the SSA really shines.  I have been using mine long enough that I have gotten used to it and after assembling my wife's new AR with ALG QMS is really made me appreciate the SSA.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an SSA-E in my HD gun and I like it, but I probably won't buy another.

If you like 2 stage triggers, then it's an excellent trigger. I would personally prefer a single stage that's a bit lighter.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Geissele SSA is an awesome trigger. I love mine and have never had any issues with it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Food for thought... under High Stress situations... your fine motor control ( trigger finger control ) goes out the window.

So much so, that even simple hand motions can get all catty whumpess.... ( Part of the reason Flex cuffs are pre-assembled and ready to go )

We have all seen Police videos showing accidental discharges during arrests.... those accidental discharges are from your body ( and hand ) tensing up from the stress.

Tensing up enough to pull the trigger.... so don't go to light in a SD / HD weapon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I would go MBT over SSA.  I don't see the reason to spend $75 extra when the MBT feels just as good, uses a full power hammer spring and has the same lock time.

I haven't tried a Wilson Combat trigger, but I've heard nice things about them.  They cost a lot more than the MBT though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#14]
SSA-E
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would go MBT over SSA.  I don't see the reason to spend $75 extra when the MBT feels just as good, uses a full power hammer spring and has the same lock time.

I haven't tried a Wilson Combat trigger, but I've heard nice things about them.  They cost a lot more than the MBT though.
View Quote

They have them for  $125 if you can wait. I have to find out if they charge right away or when they ship and expected wait time
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They have them for  $125 if you can wait. I have to find out if they charge right away or when they ship and expected wait time
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They charge when it ships.  I would expect 6 weeks minimum for delivery and probably closer to 8 weeks.

I ordered another 12/28 and the order just shipped.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They charge when it ships.  I would expect 6 weeks minimum for delivery and probably closer to 8 weeks.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ordered the mbt.

Couldn't pass it up at $125. Your talking half the price of an ssa and I highly doubt it's half as good
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just ordered the mbt.

Couldn't pass it up at $125. Your talking half the price of an ssa and I highly doubt it's half as good

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just ordered the mbt.

IMO, good choice.  As long as you don't mind waiting a bit.  The next step up in triggers is the Geissele Hi Speed Match, and it's not an HD trigger.  The biggest reason I replaced an MBT with a Hi Speed match is because of the 4ms lock time.

I would love to see Larue make a Hi Speed competitor that is fully adjustable and has a second stage weight that can be set in the 4 to 8 oz range.  It won't be in my HD rifle though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never paid more than $160 for an SSA. Wait until they're on sale, or better yet, a GS2 on sale, which feels and functions exactly like the SSA.

I bought a few more GS2s when PA had their sale over Christmas, and paid $115 each.

Geissele triggers are made of S7 tool steel just like the MBT but some of the parts are forged first. I'll stick with my Geisseles.

Joe
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a fan of the SD-C, however I need another good trigger for my 308, and am trying to wait until the flat face MBT comes out. I'll order the day it's here, I'm not sure I can wait that long though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I've never paid more than $160 for an SSA. Wait until they're on sale, or better yet, a GS2 on sale, which feels and functions exactly like the SSA.

I bought a few more GS2s when PA had their sale over Christmas, and paid $115 each.

Geissele triggers are made of S7 tool steel just like the MBT but some of the parts are forged first. I'll stick with my Geisseles.

Joe
View Quote
G2S's are a good choice.  Another decent option is the B-G2S-E, which gives you the feel of an SSA-E with the cost cutting techniques of the G2S.  It's a Brownells exclusive and I've seen them as cheap as $150, but normally they're about $180.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Food for thought... under High Stress situations... your fine motor control ( trigger finger control ) goes out the window.
So much so, that even simple hand motions can get all catty whumpess.... ( Part of the reason Flex cuffs are pre-assembled and ready to go )
We have all seen Police videos showing accidental discharges during arrests.... those accidental discharges are from your body ( and hand ) tensing up from the stress.
Tensing up enough to pull the trigger.... so don't go to light in a SD / HD weapon.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't put your finger on the trigger.  3lb or 7lb won't make much difference.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think an mbt is too light
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not just about that.  It's about breaking a shot before you want it to.  If it's too light of a trigger, it can happen.  I've done it a few times in not so stressed situations....  Just at the range.  It wasn't like it was dangerous, it's just not when I wanted the the shot to break.  I prefer something heavier than 5# on my serious guns.  

Having said all that, all of my hunting guns have lighter triggers than 5# and I never had a shot break before I wanted it to under buck fever situations.  And the lighter trigger probably aided me a few times in hitting my target. So......  It's not a hard and fast rule for me, but something to consider.  I have a 4.5# (approx) 2 stage RRA NM trigger on my go to AR right now.  But I prefer the 7# or so, single stage on my Colt 20" a2.  It doesn't seem to hinder me all that much.  But you do have to wrestle with it a bit more.

I also have a lower with a 2 stage varmint RRA trigger and it breaks at just under 3.  To me, that one gives me issues sometimes.  It's so light I feel like I just think about  touching the trigger and it's going off.  I find it annoying at times.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Take a look at the Hiperfire EDT before you buy anything.
V
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think you meant to state that the SSA does not have a full power hammer spring.  It does.

From Geissele's website:

"A full force hammer spring is used for quick locktime and positive ignition of all types of ammo. There is no lightened hammer spring used.."

"The hammer is lighter than a standard AR15 hammer. The lightened hammer favorably decreases locktime and increases accuracy of the weapon, especially for snap shots.."

(Italics above are mine).
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't think you meant to state that the SSA does not have a full power hammer spring.  It does.

From Geissele's website:

"A full force hammer spring is used for quick locktime and positive ignition of all types of ammo. There is no lightened hammer spring used.."

"The hammer is lighter than a standard AR15 hammer. The lightened hammer favorably decreases locktime and increases accuracy of the weapon, especially for snap shots.."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From Geissele's website:

No, that's not what I meant.  Both the MBT and SSA use full power springs and have similar lock times.  My point was just that they're equivalent in quality.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, that's not what I meant.  Both the MBT and SSA use full power springs and have similar lock times.  My point was just that they're equivalent in quality.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Geissele's website:

That's what I thought you were saying, but was not sure.  Even the SSA-E has a full force hammer.   I have not tried the MBT, but if it is similar for $75 less then, that is a great option.  I just like the known quality and individual final inspection on the SSA line of triggers. Wouldn't Geissele's G2S (random inspected) version of the SSA be competitive in price with the MBT and have the same performance as the SSA?  Never tried one, though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
That's what I thought you were saying, but was not sure.  Even the SSA-E has a full force hammer.   I have not tried the MBT, but if it is similar for $75 less then, that is a great option.  I just like the known quality and individual final inspection on the SSA line of triggers. Wouldn't Geissele's G2S (random inspected) version of the SSA be competitive in price with the MBT and have the same performance as the SSA?  Never tried one, though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From Geissele's website:

One of the things that gives the MBT an edge over the SSA/SSA-E is that LaRue now ships them with two trigger springs: the original that puts the MBT in line with the SSA-E's pull weight, and a heavy spring that puts it in line with the SSA's pull weight. All for just $199 (or $125 when on sale).

It's hard to beat that. I still love my Geissele triggers, but the MBT is really hard to pass up; especially since it's cheaper.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#31]
SSA or a mil spec are the way to go
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1 to the Geissele SSA.  Bill has a video that explains which trigger to get for every scenario.
View Quote

Link to video?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just ordered the mbt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ordered the mbt.

SSA's are had for 170.00.  Not near half but certainly makes the MBT attractive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Use the ALG ACT in the one you have. You can always buy another trigger for the new lower. The ALG ACT works well for what you are describing. No 2-stage or any other fancy trigger is needed. You want a dependable and simple and smooth single stage and that is what the ALG ACT is.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

For some reason the TTU is overlooked on this board.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it seems like if it isn't a Geissele, it's crap. Even though I've seen several posts from members who have both the Geissele and the Wilson TTU and they state the Wilson is BETTER!!!

I also like the idea of the secondary sear in case the weapon is dropped.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#37]
$35 trigger job
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#38]
LaRue MBT with the heavy trigger spring.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I was bad. Ordered a ssa for $189 shipped.

Already ordered a mbt for the waiting price

Nothing like back to back comparison I suppose
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Exactly.  

I have Jewel 1-1/2 OUNCE triggers with no safety on a couple competition rifles, and I have never had a ND!  

I DO keep my finger off the trigger until I am ready to fire though, and I don't think I would want those triggers on a HD weapon.....  
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I was bad. Ordered a ssa for $189 shipped.

Already ordered a mbt for the waiting price

Nothing like back to back comparison I suppose
View Quote
Nothing wrong with trying both.

As the owner of an S2S, SD-C, several MBT's and a Hi-Speed Match, I doubt you will spend the extra $50 again if you can still get a MBT for $125.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

For HD/SHTF, this

or a good milspec trigger.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#43]
SSA.

The only match grade trigger the military trusts to work under hard use.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

For HD/SHTF, this

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For HD/SHTF, this

That is my sentiment exactly. Keep the K.I.S.S. theory in mind when it comes to a fighting carbine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm using a sd-c, sd-e, g2, and a mbt is on its way.  Right now, the sd-c resides in my HD gun.  Maybe the MBT will end up in it, I don't know.  It will be changing soon due to my form 1 approval and my Omega getting out of jail soon.  Might as well try a new trigger too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:17:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, all these threads about HD triggers and people keep going on about lighter triggers are dangerous in a stressful situation, could go off when you're running around with your finger on the trigger, trip, etc.  Perhaps in military/LE use there are situations were you need to be moving around with your finger on the trigger, stage the trigger, etc.  For civilian HD use if your trigger is on the trigger it should be because you're about to pull the trigger.  Realistically how much difference is 2 lbs or so going to make if you accidentally hit the trigger while moving or an involuntary reaction.  The difference is psychological more than anything.  You see the same arguments with CCW handguns.  You need a heavy trigger and manual safety or else the gun will go off when holstering, something gets in the trigger guard, you unintentionally pull the trigger under stress, etc.  The real problem is people excessively handling the loaded gun, unnecessarily drawing and reholstering, and not keeping their finger off the trigger until they intend to fire.

Most LE "accidental" discharges(one could argue most unintentional discharges are really negligent, not accidental) are likely with handguns that have significantly longer trigger pulls than an AR, and pull weights the same as a mil spec AR trigger, if not a good bit heavier.  A lighter trigger is going to help with accuracy and be more enjoyable to shoot at the range/hunting, and there's probably a 99.9% chance that's the only place it will actually be used.  And it will help with long range shooting.  It's pretty unlikely it's going to make much difference one way or the other in a HD situation.  Counting on an extra 2 lbs or so of pull weight to make up for poor gun handling or high stress is asking for trouble, and handicapping you in the areas where the trigger will make a big difference.

The Hipertouch EDT that was already mentioned has springs for 4.5 lb and 5.5 lb pulls while maintaining full power hammer strikes.  It's also designed to reduce the risk of dirt or a loose primer in the FCG causing a malfunction.  The trident 4 lb trigger also has full power hammer strikes.  Both are under $100.  Basically as good as or better than an ACT with reduced power springs without the risk of light strikes.  The MBT seems to be the best deal at the moment if you can wait a couple months and want a good 2 stage trigger.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:00:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah, it seems like if it isn't a Geissele, it's crap. Even though I've seen several posts from members who have both the Geissele and the Wilson TTU and they state the Wilson is BETTER!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TTU in 2 of my HD ARs and it is my favorite trigger.  Spikes NiB/JP springs in another and ACT in 4th.  I'm waiting on my MBTs and depending on what I think of it in my LR308, the 2nd may replace the ACT.
G2S and a cpl SSAEs are in scoped ARs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#49]
I like the CMC single stage triggers for this purpose. I probably coming up on 10k on my with zero problems and the trigger has stayed consistent from day one back in 2012 to now.

I don't see the point in a 2 stage for HD and while a single stage isn't ideal for precision shooting I don't feel like the CMC holds me back when shooting for accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I've a stupid question about 2 stage triggers in general. Can I back off the shot after the first stage or am I committed to fire at that point?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top