Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2015 10:38:27 AM EDT
Are all lower parts kits created equal? I do not need the milspec trigger or grip because I picked up LaRue items on their sale.  If some kits are of better quality, i will pay the premium.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Are all lower parts kits created equal? I do not need the milspec trigger or grip because I picked up LaRue items on their sale.  If some kits are of better quality, i will pay the premium.
View Quote

What I prefer to do is to buy separate parts. This way, I get only what I need. I also buy enough to have spares of the springs and detents as well. As far as where to get good quality parts for not a lot of money, PSA. I have used a number of their upper and lower receiver parts and they have all been good. Never a problem with fit or function.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I once bought a DPMS parts kit.
Something broke and my lower would shoot auto while trigger was pressed.

Replaced all FCG parts with another brand I had on hand (CMT i think) and fixed the issue.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#3]
They're all similar, but not all the same.  I know Spikes LPKs comes with stainless steel spiral pins instead of roll pins, and the parts are made by KNS precision.  I'm not sure about other LPKs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used lower parts kits from most reputable brands and the quality of the parts have been the same for the most part.  The only real difference I've noticed is with a Spikes kit.  It came with coil roll pins instead of split roll pins for the trigger guard and bolt catch.  The coil pins from Spikes were significantly easier to install then the split pins in my experience.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Stag, DD, and Spikes for me.

Not sure how many Stag kits are to be had, now.

I am like the only guy here that had horrible luck with PSAs junky kits, and won't buy another
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stag, DD, and Spikes for me.

Not sure how many Stag kits are to be had, now.

I am like the only guy here that had horrible luck with PSAs junky kits, and won't buy another
View Quote

I've had excellent luck with Rock River Arms and Aero Precision LPKs. The stock triggers that have been included in the Aero LPKs are some of the nicest "stock" AR triggers I've felt.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Biggest difference for me is some kits use "notched" hammers and others use "rounded" hammers. This difference is only important if one uses .22 lr conversion kits, as the kits only function with a rounded hammer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Anderson makes and sells a lpk without grip, or fcg, that runs about $25.. hard to beat, imho
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anderson makes and sells a lpk without grip, or fcg, that runs about $25.. hard to beat, imho
View Quote

I've used this kit and was very happy, I also go to redbarn armory and build custom lpk's, you get a little discount to upgrade.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think they are all created equally. I have had big problems with PSA, little problems with CMMG and no problems form WOA, Spikes and Colt.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Red Barn Armory has their "build your own" lower parts kit so you just get what you need.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
woa colt do lwrc for me
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I've only used DD LPKs, and they've all been flawless thus far.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I've used dozens of LPKs from PSA as well as LPKs from other big names.
Since I can buy them from PSA without trigger groups and with a custom grip (MOE+ is my favorite) I'm not paying for parts I don't need (since I always use aftermarket triggers).
They are as good as anything out there.

Regardless of who you buy the LPK from, they are not making the parts themselves. They are purchased from a contractor, and these contractors sell to multiple companies. For all we know, DD and PSA get their parts from the same source.

Joe

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've used dozens of LPKs from PSA as well as LPKs from other big names.
Since I can buy them from PSA without trigger groups and with a custom grip (MOE+ is my favorite) I'm not paying for parts I don't need (since I always use aftermarket triggers).
They are as good as anything out there.

Regardless of who you buy the LPK from, they are not making the parts themselves. They are purchased from a contractor, and these contractors sell to multiple companies. For all we know, DD and PSA get their parts from the same source.

Joe

View Quote

Considering DD makes everything in house aside from some screws, we know otherwise.

Mind you, I have no beef with PSA.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They're all similar, but not all the same.  I know Spikes LPKs comes with stainless steel spiral pins instead of roll pins, and the parts are made by KNS precision.  I'm not sure about other LPKs.
View Quote

I used a spikes lpk on my latest lower. Everything went together great. I did notice it came with their billet mag release.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I once bought a DPMS parts kit.Something broke and my lower would shoot auto while trigger was pressed.
Replaced all FCG parts with another brand I had on hand (CMT i think) and fixed the issue.

View Quote

CMT is good stuff, Noveske used to use/recommend them at one point to build their lowers.
Not sure if they still do.
They are smooth to install, I've done many with CMT.

Have had trouble with DPMS kits that some friends gave me for their builds as well.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

CMT is good stuff, Noveske used to use/recommend them at one point to build their lowers.

Have had trouble with DPMS kits that some friends gave me for their builds as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I once bought a DPMS parts kit.Something broke and my lower would shoot auto while trigger was pressed.

All LPK's are not created equal.

We've encountered a few that require "fitting". Also, quite a few we've seen have CRAPPY out of spec roll pins, so much so that we starred buying 100 pks of spiral (coil) pins McMaster Carr. It makes things go together so much easier when everything fits.

In addition, MIM LPK's are starting to show up from China
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had great luck with Spikes. Last build I did I used individual parts instead of a whole LPK. Used a trigger from one company, bolt release from another, magazine catch from another etc. So by the end, I managed to use a single roll pin from the whole LPK. If you go that route, a LPK is a waste of money.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a Windham LPK for my son. It'll be gtg, right?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I like purchasing from Rock River, I can place an order for 20-detent pins, 6-firing pins, etc.

Many suppliers don't like orders for individual parts unless you are purchasing 500-1000 units.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Most of the LPKs I've bought in the last several years have had good quality FCG parts.  I'm talking about "known good" parts makers, like Schneider hammers, etc.  That is not to say that all of them have "felt good" when first assembled...  But if you employ due diligence and clean the crap off of the parts before you install them - especially the hammer and trigger - and lube the hammer and trigger bores before the pins go in, the stock trigger isn't awful.  I haven't been worried about coiled pins versus standard roll pins because I have never had a problem with standard pins, but I suppose they are nice.

I've never had a "problem" with any LPK, though once I wound up with a part missing from one - the vendor sent the replacement part as soon as they got my email and I had it in a couple of days.  I only use kits (or FCGs) that have standard, rounded hammers.  Notched hammers aren't only bad for .22 kits, they suck with 9mms as well (and no, that "9mm hammer" isn't "the way to go," either).
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I've just bought Colt and never had a problem with them.   You can order only the parts you need from Brownells
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:19:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I only purchase Colt LPK's. Just got another one  in two days ago. Bagged marked SOCOM. Came with an ambi selector. They do cost a little more than the generic brands, but at least you know you're getting quality.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:10:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I have developed some preferences, like ALG ACT triggers, the RRA star selector switch, and the Strike Industries bolt catch.  Most of the rest of the parts are pins, springs, and detents, that stuff is pretty generic. I've been buying LPKs with the FCG and adding the specific parts I want. I'm going to look into this custom LPK from Red Barn.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I will try the BCM enhanced LPK the next time I build. I have used WOA in 5 builds with good results, but I always replace the mil trigger and pistol grip. The BCM come with their version of a Geissele ACT trigger as well as a Bravo Mod 3 grip.

BCM LPK
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I will try the BCM enhanced LPK the next time I build. I have used WOA in 5 builds with good results, but I always replace the mil trigger and pistol grip. The BCM come with their version of a Geissele ACT trigger as well as a Bravo Mod 3 grip.

BCM LPK
View Quote

Thanks for the link! I use WOA for my builds and will try these BCM LPKs when I do my next build!
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I like Rock River and DSA. I am sure others are just as good. I know DSA actually makes their own hammers and triggers.They probably buy the castings and machine them like a lot of them do. The reason I have been using DSA lately is that they have some really good deals on combination parts kits. You can get a lower parts kit(rounded hammer) with a mil spec extension tube and buffer, and grip upgrade with Hogue or MagPul. It pencils out pretty good. Craig
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top