Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2015 12:49:20 PM EDT
Hello everyone. New to the forum and AR15's

I am starting my first build. I have a  Aero Precision flat top upper and lower receiver. I have a PSA 16" midlength A2 profile barrel and bolt carrier group.

I am wanting to run a handguard that goes almost to the end of the barrel. I like that look, Will this be an issue? Do i just need to run a low profile gas block to accomplish this? Also, Is a H2 buffer ok to run on midlength gas system? I plan on running wolf ammo and want it to be reliable with this ammo.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a decent start. You should be able to just switch to a low profile gas block to get your long rail on. I would suggest getting a new gas tube and roll pin and just swap in out all at once instead of trying to drive that tiny pin out and switch the gas tube over to the new block. You also cut down the front sight base to allow your rail to fit. Google "cut down fsb" or "diy low profile gas block". As far has your buffer, I wouldn't run heavier than an H buffer if you plan on shooting wolf and tula unsupressed. You could always try it if you already have the h2 buffer and if it doesn't run reliably then swap it out. I have a 16" midlength upper with A2 sight base and I run it with an H buffer. I've never had any malfunctions yet with anything from Tula steel to m855 ammo.
'
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Would i just use a rifle length handgaurd to achieve the look i am after?  Or is there anything longer than that?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Handguard won't be issue, a 15" will be right up to the end of the barrel, a 13.5" would do the trick too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
How much do you plan on spending for a hand-guard? I have found that i have become increasingly weight conscious for my purpose built rifles, no so much for range toys. Try making a quick list of your priorities for your hand-guard, that will limit and narrow your search so when you find one, you will be happy with it and you wont waste so much time browsing online retail stores. For example - priorities might be COST, WEIGHT, MLOK, FULL LENGTH RAIL, COLOR, etc. For you cost might not be a concern, or weight or Mlok. It all depends. If you feel lost or overwhelmed by the selection, search google images for AR Fore end, and find a model that looks interesting and check it out, research is key, knowledge is power Else you will be trying to sell your HG in a month on EE because you impulse bought. Just remember, when you are all finished with your build and finally have your rifle good to go, you will realize that designing and building your rifle is just as much fun and rewarding, as shooting it. So don't jump at the first opportunity to buy something, you will probably regret it. Take your time. Also, black Friday is at the end of the month.... Deep deep discounts. I would offer one suggestion, without starting a HG war. ALG makes a new model HG with full length rail on top for around $150, not sure exactly. I bought their V1, and found it to be of very high quality, excellent finish, light and cheap. ALG is, of course, a sister company to Geissele. Enough said.  I also like the Midwest Industries super light Mlok series HGs.  Search EE for a used model, once you find one you like. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking a 15" Midwest Industries Gen2 DSS
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was thinking a 15" Midwest Industries Gen2 DSS
View Quote

Good choice. I have 2 and really like the MI rails. They will come with the proprietary barrel nut so no need to purchase one for your build.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
get a low profile gas block .750

Midwest Industries Gen 3 MLOK 15in handguard

that is money right there
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top