Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/31/2015 4:15:39 PM EDT
I know this topic is pretty beat to death, but I have a Geissele SSA in my gun right now and am thinking about selling it for a Larue MBT. For those that have both, what would you recommend? I hear the Larue is a bit crisper than the Geissele? In the long run will the Larue be more resistant to wear due to being milled from tool steel rather than cast? I know the KAC 2 stage triggers wear out relatively quickly, but have not heard much about geissele triggers in this regard.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Having shot both back to back at an MOA All Day Challenge, I would say that there is so little difference between the two that you're wasting your time moving from one to the other. I think the Geissele trigger has a more glass rod like break while the MBT has a more carrot like break. Honestly, unless you shoot a LOT and constantly, you probably won't feel much difference between the two. Both that I tested were within a few oz of their advertised pull weight.

ETA: I have two Geissele triggers in rifles already and love them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the following Geissele triggers: ssa, g2s, s3g, and hi speed match.
Also have the MBT which is now on my tac optics 3 gun rifle.
Would choose the MBT over the ssa, g2s and s3g.
The s3g has been replaced on my other 3 gun rifle because it's started doubling  and tripling on me.
Got rid of the g2s and the ssa is in my sbr.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I used the MBT for a few thousand rounds and ultimately went back to an SSA.  
The reset on the MBT was sluggish and I just didn't like the shape of the shoe.  
The MBT is right between an SSA and an SSA-E, so I ended up putting the SSA back on my CQB gun and the SSA-E went back in the SPR.  

The MBT is a helluva nice triggger, I just preferred the SSA and the SSA-E.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the wide face of the MBT. Both are great triggers.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I am using the SSA and the MBT. I like the feel of the MBT a bit more. I also like the wider trigger face.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
In terms of the crispness of the break, anyone that I know who can appreciate a good trigger has ranked it like this:

SSA; SSA-E; MBT; Hi-Speed

Agreed with the above 110% though that the reset is sluggish.

As such, I only recommend the MBT on a dedicated precision rig when you do NOT want an adjustable trigger.

But it is a DAMN crisp trigger, IMHO better than all of geissele's non-adjustable options, HOWEVER, since I would not run the MBT in anything other than a dedicated precision rig, I find the SSA-E to OVERALL be a better trigger.  I've had 2 SSA-E's that I could detect a tiny bit of creep in.  Not much, but it was there.  In the Larue, I can't feel any, at all.

If Larue could snap up that reset, it would be near perfect.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a ssa-e and a MBT and I like the MBT slightly better just because of the wider trigger face
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I would compare it more to the SSA E.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Unless they want to send me one to evaluate, I'll be sticking with Geissele..... just like if I want a mount I'll go with Larue.  Call it brand loyalty or ignorance, either way they both still get my money. I might have to go take a gander at this trigger though just to see the claims
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been looking at getting a nice trigger for my 12" SBR / mini recce.

What do you guys suggest? Which of the Geissele options should I look at or should I just get the larue?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What do you guys suggest? Which of the Geissele options should I look at or should I just get the larue?
View Quote

I don't have a LaRue, yet, but it will be my next trigger.  All my Minis have an SSA, except for my 12.5 Noveske has the SSAe.  The SSA has been my favorite all around trigger.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

SSA or G2S.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Then might I suggest you keep your finger on the trigger next week of two ...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a LaRue, yet, but it will be my next trigger.  All my Minis have an SSA, except for my 12.5 Noveske has the SSAe.  The SSA has been my favorite all around trigger.

Will do
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does this mean?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I think if you read in between the lines , they will go on sale very soon , perhaps Black Friday!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We worked meticulously to set the reset to perfect, you want something slightly off perfect.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In terms of the crispness of the break, anyone that I know who can appreciate a good trigger has ranked it like this:

As such, I only recommend the MBT on a dedicated precision rig when you do NOT want an adjustable trigger.

But it is a DAMN crisp trigger, IMHO better than all of geissele's non-adjustable options, HOWEVER, since I would not run the MBT in anything other than a dedicated precision rig, I find the SSA-E to OVERALL be a better trigger.  I've had 2 SSA-E's that I could detect a tiny bit of creep in.  Not much, but it was there.  In the Larue, I can't feel any, at all.

We worked meticulously to set the reset to perfect, you want something slightly off perfect.  

Reset length/location is perfect!  Just needs a little more force if it's going in a non dedicated precision rig.  Just add some spring options :)
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm down for picking one up as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What does this mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does this mean?
It means Black Friday sales

You don't know about these sale events?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I highly recommend at least trying a Larue trigger first. They are EXTREMELY refined and a pleasure to use. I own both Larue and Geissele triggers and the Geissele triggers are excellent for their purpose, which is different for each model. However the Larue is something special for multi-purpose.

Give it a try first if you can!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
^^^

Well dang, is it not enough that it will shoot a spit ball across the room ?

View Quote

Fuck no, its plenty!  But a spring set for those wanting to run a gun a little faster would be really slick.

I think your trigger is a perfect fit for say....an SPR or a 20" match rifle.

With a slightly more forceful reset, it would be a perfect fit on something like....a RECCE, a 16" precision rifle that is short enough to use to kick a door

With the price cut you've made on the triggers, its an excellent option and one I hope more people consider, because it really is that good.  But some buyers may find a more forceful reset will make it a better fit for their rifle.

I could use your trigger on nearly every rifle I had if you had some different spring options.  Right now for my door kickers (using that term loosely), I use a KAC 2 stage and a couple of Wilson TTU 2 stages, the Paul Howe version.  They could both easily be replaced with your trigger if I could get them to easily run a little faster, and a heavier trigger spring would accomplish just that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank y'all for the reviews. It sounds like I might as well stick with the ssa for now. I think on my next gun I'm definitely doing the larue due to a combination of their awesome reviews, cheaper price, and all the cool stuff they send you when you order !
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I have both.  
I just can't explain but like the feel of MBT better over SSA.

It must be the MBT LaRue hat that's messing with my mind!!

J/K aside, I like MBT better.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#26]
the Larue feels better on the finger
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know this topic is pretty beat to death, but I have a Geissele SSA in my gun right now and am thinking about selling it for a Larue MBT. For those that have both, what would you recommend? I hear the Larue is a bit crisper than the Geissele? In the long run will the Larue be more resistant to wear due to being milled from tool steel rather than cast? I know the KAC 2 stage triggers wear out relatively quickly, but have not heard much about geissele triggers in this regard.
View Quote

Where have you heard this? I own rifles with the KAC installed and yet to have one wear out on me. the one with the most round count is just under 17k with no changes at all to the trigger or springs.

To address your question, I agree with with what some have posted and like wider trigger face of the Larue and would buy that over a SSA but, I would most likely buy the SSA-E if I only could have one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:00:21 AM EDT
[#28]
What is the deal with the reset?  Admittedly I've never used a larue trigger, and Mark knows I can't wait to take a swipe at his products, but I just can't fathom it's reset being an issue for a CQB. Even Miculek slaps the trigger/comes fully off of it. Slap it, kiss the stop, come off it as fast as you can to lessen weapon movement. The longer you hold the trigger back, the more the gun moves, which imo makes shooting to reset a negative. I just can't rag on the LT for an alleged lack of a "powerful" reset character or whatever. Can someone say why they feel it's an issue?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:46:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What is the deal with the reset?  Admittedly I've never used a larue trigger, and Mark knows I can't wait to take a swipe at his products, but I just can't fathom it's reset being an issue for a CQB. Even Miculek slaps the trigger/comes fully off of it. Slap it, kiss the stop, come off it as fast as you can to lessen weapon movement. The longer you hold the trigger back, the more the gun moves, which imo makes shooting to reset a negative. I just can't rag on the LT for an alleged lack of a "powerful" reset character or whatever. Can someone say why they feel it's an issue?
View Quote

I have an MBT, and perhaps my senses aren't attuned to what they're saying because I don't know what in hell they are talking about.

The trigger has a pronounced reset and it's fairly short.  It's not a 3-gun trigger and I'm not a competitive shooter by any stretch.  But I find it to be plenty fast.  I put a "wave" of empty cases in the air the other day just to see what it felt like at full tilt.  

I just don't understand.  I believe them, I'm just not quite sure of the issue they describe.

It really is a fantastic trigger.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:12:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have an MBT, and perhaps my senses aren't attuned to what they're saying because I don't know what in hell they are talking about.

The trigger has a pronounced reset and it's fairly short.  It's not a 3-gun trigger and I'm not a competitive shooter by any stretch.  But I find it to be plenty fast.  I put a "wave" of empty cases in the air the other day just to see what it felt like at full tilt.  

I just don't understand.  I believe them, I'm just not quite sure of the issue they describe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What many are "complaining" about is that there is very little pressure pushing your finger forward during reset. After you've captured the trigger, as you slowly release it, you don't have much resistance trying to push your finger forward to the reset.

This was about the only negative I found with this trigger when I tested it earlier this year. Over time, it's become a non-issue for me, and the MBT has taken over in my precision and hunting rigs. Out of three lowers I use for hunting and testing products, two have MBTs installed.

As to the OP's question. The SSA and MBT aren't even on the same level, IMHO. If you want a more apples to apples comparison, you need to compare the MBT to the SSA-E. I have all three triggers, and the MBT is my pick for a precision role.

The SSA is a fantastic "do all" trigger, don't get me wrong, and it can work well in a variety of roles. However, it was never made to be an uber crisp trigger for a DMR or precision rifle, like the MBT. That's where the SSA-E comes in to play.

Being that the MBT is now just $199, it's a no brainier for someone looking for an uber crisp 2-stage trigger.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I own all four of these and would list them in exactly this order. If I wanted a non-adjustable precision trigger, it would be the MBT. I do prefer the curved shoe of the Geisselle over the flat MBT, but it's not a huge deal.

As far as reset goes:

I shot a match this weekend that required mostly double taps. I found a few times during the match I did not reset my finger enough for the second round. I had the same issue with an AR-gold trigger, which while it has a much shorter reset, provides even less reset pressure, which is the main complaint here. I never had this issue shooting the SSA-E that the MBT replaced. However that being said, I am noticeably quicker on the double taps with the MBT than the SSA-E. I will keep the MBT on and just train with it. This rifle sees 75% precision and only 25% rapid fire so I didn't want to put a 3-gun trigger on it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like an organic problem to me, rather than an issue with the trigger. I release the trigger as fast as I can. Less harmonics the quicker you press it and let it loose. Frame contact or lower contact at full pull is where movement is worst. Get off the trigger!
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#34]
The way I look at it is, do not knock it until you have tried it. Once you have, you will love it. For those that want a stronger reset, you just need to have more trigger control. I have no problem with the MBT reset. I LIKE IT.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The way I look at it is, do not knock it until you have tried it. Once you have, you will love it. For those that want a stronger reset, you just need to have more trigger control. I have no problem with the MBT reset. I LIKE IT.
View Quote

It's not about trigger control. I have excellent control, that I've spent a LOT of time perfecting.

It's all about feel, and with triggers, feel is always subjective.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sounds like an organic problem to me, rather than an issue with the trigger. I release the trigger as fast as I can. Less harmonics the quicker you press it and let it loose. Frame contact or lower contact at full pull is where movement is worst. Get off the trigger!
View Quote
I'm glad you addressed that here. I'm finding that riding the reset is best utilized for static positions that require precise shots at long to medium distances, while what you described is what I do for CQB carbine classes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm glad you addressed that here. I'm finding that riding the reset is best utilized for static positions that require precise shots at long to medium distances, while what you described is what I do for CQB carbine classes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. At least with my level of skill, there is too much potential for trigger slap moving the weapon off target by a quick press-and-release.

Relevant to the subject at hand, I have an MBT that I have played with but not shot extensively, I like it, but also really like my Geisselle's as well. I have S2G, SSA, SSA-E, SD-C and maybe some others. All have been 100% reliable, and all are superior to LMT and KAC 2-stages that came factory in several of my guns.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Guess I'm tagging this to finally add a MBT to all the G triggers I've got
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its only an issue because its opposite of nearly every other AR15 trigger out there, including geissele, which many are used to.

When running the trigger at speed, I like a little push against my finger.  I do come off the trigger when running fast and tend not to ride the reset.

Its strictly a feel issue.  When I feel the trigger pushing my finger forward, I know exactly where that trigger is.  When there is a very light push, I lose that sensation of the trigger being where it "should be" and sometimes will short stroke it, or feel like I have to slow down to feel the trigger.

Again, training issue.  My fault.  But I know I'm not the only one that prefers a more forceful reset and would happily sacrifice some first stage weight for it to feel like most other triggers out there.

Hope that makes sense?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wilson Combat is a series of fantastic triggers worth looking at.
View Quote

Got two of the Paul Howe 2 stages.

Cant agree more.  It actually feels like a 1911 trigger with a very light/short "pre travel" (first stage) and a crisp 2nd stage.

Really really like them, and I can run them as fast as my old SD3G's, but slow down and place a round at distance if needed.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

You wont be disappointed.  Again, I like to call it the non adjustable Hi-Speed.  Excellent trigger.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You wont be disappointed.  Again, I like to call it the non adjustable Hi-Speed.  Excellent trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Figured it would be GTG , I tried one of the 3.5# single stage triggers and found that was a disappointment
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Figured it would be GTG , I tried one of the 3.5# single stage triggers and found that was a disappointment
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You wont be disappointed. Again, I like to call it the non adjustable Hi-Speed. Excellent trigger.

Whose 3.5lb single stage did you try?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
J

Turns out we made those heavier trigger springs ... they are hanging out in the stress tester ... looks like they'll break in at 6.0 lbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
J
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its only an issue because its opposite of nearly every other AR15 trigger out there, including geissele, which many are used to.

When running the trigger at speed, I like a little push against my finger.  I do come off the trigger when running fast and tend not to ride the reset.

Its strictly a feel issue.  When I feel the trigger pushing my finger forward, I know exactly where that trigger is.  When there is a very light push, I lose that sensation of the trigger being where it "should be" and sometimes will short stroke it, or feel like I have to slow down to feel the trigger.

Again, training issue.  My fault.  But I know I'm not the only one that prefers a more forceful reset and would happily sacrifice some first stage weight for it to feel like most other triggers out there.

Hope that makes sense?

Turns out we made those heavier trigger springs ... they are hanging out in the stress tester ... looks like they'll break in at 6.0 lbs.

Sweeeeeeeeet
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
^^^

Team has orders to get you one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

^^^

Team has orders to get you one.
View Quote

Will you be selling those sir?

I wouldn't mind trying one, just to measure the change in total pull weight.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You wont be disappointed. Again, I like to call it the non adjustable Hi-Speed. Excellent trigger.

Was the Blue one that went around a bit ago, actually I'd say the trigger it's  self was fine just , I think I like the 2 stage much more
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top