Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2015 6:36:47 PM EDT
Hi all,
Am looking at getting my first AR.  Have been looking at the Daniel Defense line (specifically the M4A1 $1819.00 MSRP).  I have even considered the build option (the more I look at that, seems that you can really get in over your head and don't really save all that much money).  And then today I was surfing the 'net again (this is where you really get into a lot of trouble...WAY too many choices out there...sensory overload almost!), I came across an AR being sold by Gander Mtn....the FNH USA FN 15 Tactical Carbine Rifle $1399.99, what I like about this AR is the price for one, also it comes with 16" Match-Grade Cold-Hammer Forged Barrel, Three-Prong Flash Hider, Midwest Industries LWM Handguard, M-LOK Mounting System, 30-Round Magpul PMAG Magazine also Magpul sights where the Daniel Defense has none.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try to budget in a good amount of ammo, some decent  mags (USGI or pmags), a light and RDS  or other good optic.  And go with a carbine that's a bit less if you have to.  Colt is selling 6920's for much cheaper than that.  A LPK might be wise too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Daniel Defense makes great stuff from what I've heard, can't go wrong with that although it is pricey. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a Colt 6940 and a used aimpoint for the same price. While you should take your time and get used to iron sights, you're definitely going to want an optic once you get the itch....
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the 6920 - great starter AR-15
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#4]
+2 on the Colt 6920
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:40:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Building your own AR isn't really about saving money (unless you are looking to do that specifically, then by all means it can be accomplished, see: PSA). It's more of making an AR to suit your needs at a custom level, where you are in charge of what goes on and what stays off. Not everything off the shelf works for everyone. there is also that point-of-pride feeling, knowing that your rig was built with your own hands.

But with your assumed budget of $1800, you could put together quite a nice weapon, custom tailored to your needs and wants.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
A 6920 was my first. Great rifle and I still have it. Just recently purchased a DD M4V5LW, and OMG, it is awesome. You really can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]
6920 (or 6720 if you want a thinner/lighter bbl) is a great place to start, you'll have quality right out of the box w/cash left over for optics, mags, ammo, etc.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#8]
DD URG + lower of your choice
http://www.westernsport.com/product-p/dd-23-004-13150.htm
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
how much are you planning on shooting it? Ive got a fair share of AR's from DPMS up to a DDM4V11. The Daniel Defense is AMAZING, but my PSA, and tricked out DPMS are still fun to shoot. Building your own gun is on a different level though imo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
You may want to try and score a Colt from your local Walmart.  They have been firesaling the AR's as they won't be carrying them anymore.  Locally, they have been selling the ARs for half price, so you can get a Colt 6920 for under $600.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top