Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2015 5:34:01 AM EDT
Del-Ton has never been on my radar before, most of my stuff is BCM or DD etc.  Their 20" govt profile kit recently caught my eye, mainly due to the price point.  I wouldn't mind having another 20" but I'm not really willing to spend too much on one as it won't see a lot of use.  Will someone used to higher end AR's be disappointed at all?   The barrel does not appear to be chrome lined, so that alone is giving me pause.  Thanks for any opinions.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I built my Dad a m16a1 clone using their 20" lighter weight profile barrel and he has been extremely happy with the accuracy out of it.  He keeps his well oiled and doesn't shoot it that often (I make him take it out every couple of months).  Gas port was the right size and had no issues with function.

They offer a AR15.com member discount if you go through their Industry section and contact them.  They also give military discounts.  I can't remember which is better or which we used.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one of their Dissipators it shot as good as my 6920. You may find that you like it more than your expensive AR's and wonder why you spent so much on them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I would appreciate a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a tier 83 operator who tends to build a rifle, take it to the range a few of times to sight it in and then not do much else with it. I may shoot one of my AR's five or six times a year. I have never fired a shot in anger or under any sort of extreme condition. My mag dumps usually consist of loading five shots and then shooting a group before checking the spotting scope. In other words, my opinion is worth absolutely nothing when it comes to AR-15s . . .

That said, my current main AR-15 sports a 16" Del-Ton midlength lightweight 1:9 twist barrel (Cromoly only, not chrome lined). I am 100 percent satisfied with this barrel. It's plenty accurate. I routinely manage 2 inch groups at 100 yards from the bench, using a 4x scope, even with factory ammo.

I also have another 16" midlength lightweight Del-Ton that was built using a Del-Ton kit. The only things about this gun that aren't Del-Ton are the Anderson lower and Magpul furniture. So, far, I've probably run a whopping 200 rounds through this gun. It ran fine. Accuracy seems OK, but I've only used open sights. Kit went together without a hitch.

So, for what my opinion and experience are worth (which is practically not at all), I'd say Del-Ton is definitely good to go. If you're like me and your AR's serve no meaningful or critical purpose and you subject them only to the most casual use possible, Del-Ton is as good as anything else on the market. Frankly, I have no doubt Del-Ton products would be up to much more challenging uses but I can't speak to that. Only you can decide how demanding your requirements are.

Just trying to keep it real, here, folks . . .
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the email from midway and if a guy wanted to build an A4 that one would be hard to pass up.  I can't speak of their quality though, I've never owned one.  But dang....  424 for the whole gun except lower receiver.  Can you get one for less than 100 dollars now too?  I guess you need a rear sight too.  But wow.  Good deal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Very good to go.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, it does seem like a pretty good deal. I already have a lower and a carry handle, so I wouldn't need to round up any parts and I'd have a decent A4 for $424 plus shipping.  Still kicking it around, thanks for the replies.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got the email from midway and if a guy wanted to build an A4 that one would be hard to pass up.  I can't speak of their quality though, I've never owned one.  But dang....  424 for the whole gun except lower receiver.  Can you get one for less than 100 dollars now too?  I guess you need a rear sight too.  But wow.  Good deal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing wrong with Delton.  Many guys, including me, have built up a rifle using their parts.  Not "top shelf" but decent stuff for the price.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a LW carbine upper 1:9 twist years ago that was very accurate with 55 gr. bullets.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#10]
should be fine..
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my 16" Seirra mid length.
It's one of my favorites to shoot, of the seven ARs I have .
Very solid and mine has virtually no play between the upper & lower reciever.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive tried two uppers and both were poor with rough chambers and CS was lacking.  Get a govt profile Bravo company 20inch upper for just at $500 shipped.  You will not be rolling the dice with a BCM.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Normally that's the route I would take, but this would be an occasional shooter, so it's hard to justify the extra $.  The BCM upper would be $510 and I would still need to add a complete A2 stock kit, lower parts kit, and handguards.   I'm sure it would be better quality just trying to decide if it's worth $250 more than the Del-Ton considering my intended use.  

Quoted:
Ive tried two uppers and both were poor with rough chambers and CS was lacking.  Get a govt profile Bravo company 20inch upper for just at $500 shipped.  You will not be rolling the dice with a BCM.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell yeah it's GTG.  I have an M4 KISS thats a beater ranch carbine and it's seen alot of use, abuse over the years enduring mag dumps, bouncing around on backhoes and 4x4 Mule and it still cranks them out where I'm aiming.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Del Ton Sport here.  I'd recommend Del Ton for anybody looking for an AR.  Mine has been fine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had good experience with them.  They used to be considered an entry level outfit like Doublestar.  They didn't make high end stuff, but their guns worked well.  A few years later, they started hitting the "mil-spec" features pretty hard and their prices still remained quite reasonable.

I had one rifle that must have had a short detent spring on the rear take down pin, because I  could tilt the rifle and it would open on its own.  A guy at the shop I purchased it hand delivered it back to Del-Ton with my filled out warranty card, and I had the rifle back in a few days, fixed.

The only real problem I heard was with that bad batch of bolts they had a few years back, and it seemed to me they made it right fairly quickly.  I also got the e-mail for the 20 inch kits, and if I had the extra cash, I would get a couple of them.  I have been through more than a handful of non chrome lined ARs and I have never experienced a problem with them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I like and use Del-Ton, never had a problem with them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought one around the time they had the lot of bad bolts. Several years later I found out about the bolts and contacted them about it. I explained the markings on the bolt and they could not verify for sure whether or not it was from the bad lot. they told me to 'keep and eye on it'. I explained that it was a duty gun, and I don't think 'keeping an eye on it' is a good idea when I could be in a life or death situation with it. They didn't seem to care. Long story short, I had to go buy a new bolt before I could be confident and eventually bought a whole new gun. With that being said, the del ton is a good shooter and has never failed me. But due to their customer service and the fact that they don't care if their faulty product could cost a life, I cannot recommend. Sadly for them, I had praised their products and recommended them to many shooters. I personally built over half dozen kits for friends and family.  Not anymore.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Since someone else posted pics...here's the old mans before the Nodak lower came in.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I used a delton 16 inch upper with a 1:9 twist chrome lined on a bushy lower and it is good to go I shoot it weekly about 100-150 rounds and it has been flawless besides one hiccup with green tip ammo but that might have been my fault. I was shooting my .308 and left it out in the sun on the shooting bench and on the first round the case got stuck in the chamber after the round was fired and it took a barrel rod and and a mallet to remove it. After that no problems and it groups pretty well at 100 yards
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#21]
The top gun is a Bushmaster ORC .308 with a nikon scope (Trying to find a better scope now)
The bottom is a Bushmaster lower and a delton upper. Im looking for a 18-20 inch upper now

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I had tentatively decided to pull the trigger on getting this kit, but sadly by the time I made my mind up the sale has ended.  I just checked Midway and they are once again on sale, but this time for even less than the original sale price!?    For $399.99 I don't think I can pass it up this time.  Over 200 in stock, go get 'em.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had tentatively decided to pull the trigger on getting this kit, but sadly by the time I made my mind up the sale has ended.  I just check Midway and they are once again on sale, but this time for even less than the original sale price!?    For $399.99 I don't think I can pass it up this time.  Over 200 in stock, go get 'em.
View Quote

$399 is below "dealer cost" . . . or at least it's below the price that DelTon charges FFL's on its website. I'm quite sure Midway pays less than that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]
my experience has always been positive
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top