Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2015 10:53:05 PM EDT

Trying to decide between a 20" and a 18". I realize the velocity difference is minimal but the recoil impulse is not.

I've had a 20" some years ago and from what I recall, it shot softer than a 16".
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
20"  
Quoted:

Trying to decide between a 20" and a 18". I realize the velocity difference is minimal but the recoil impulse is not.

I've had a 20" some years ago and from what I recall, it shot softer than a 16".
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#2]
If you could feel much difference between the two...then you're a better man than me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe rifle weight and gas port size will play larger roles than barrel length and port location.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#4]
If I was going 18", I would go with a rifle length gas system.  18" with mid length should have a bit more of an impulse than 18" or 20" rifle gas, though as mentioned, the gas port sizes of any barrel will obviously effect that slightly as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#5]
If you can actually tell I'd be surprised...it's not like 5.56 is a heavy recoiling cartridge.  I have both a 20" rifle upper and an 18" mid upper, I can't tell the difference between the two at all

I'm sure there is some degree of difference but it's probably a cunt hairs difference that in the end is inconsequential.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I just put together a 18" mid length. Barrel is from BA. No noticeable difference. I am using an A5 buffer for both though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure if this data has much relevance, but I'll add my experience to this anyhow. I have a 16" mid length and a 20" rifle.  The 20" rifle only throws the brass about four feet from the gun and shoots softly. The mid length 16" hucks the brass probably closer to 10 feet away and feels a bit harsher.  Now whether that is a product of the rifle length vs the mid length, I don't know?  Maybe it's because of the gas port size alone and has nothing to do with the length.  Oh forgot to mention, identical ammo shot through both guns while noting this difference.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting data, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe rifle weight and gas port size will play larger roles than barrel length and port location.
View Quote

This. I have a 14.5" middy with a H2 buffer and SF MB556 that shoots softer than my 18" Middy or my buddy's 20" rifle length. I will agree with Blain and say that if you go with the 18" barrel, go with a rifle length gas system.

You can tune AR's with adjustable gas blocks and various buffer weights depending on the ammo you use and really have a soft shooting set up.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:You can tune AR's with adjustable gas blocks and various buffer weights depending on the ammo you use and really have a soft shooting set up.
View Quote

^^this^^
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#11]
20 or 18 barrel, but get rifle length gas system.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Out of your two options the 20" with rifle length gas. I have an 18" rifle length gas with adjustable gas block (also has a surefire muzzle brake) that shoots softer than my 20" A2 HBAR. If I had the adjustable gas and muzzle brake on the 20" I doubt it would be much softer than the 18" and if it did it would probably just be due to the extra weight(HBAR vs med profile). Both are much smoother than say a 16" w/ carbine gas.

So to sum it up: Rifle length gas is smooth in either length. Adjustable gas block and muzzle brake on top of that is smoother.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#13]
18 or 20 rifle gas.
20" rifle gas, with rifle stock, is indisputably the softest shooter of ALL configurations.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top