User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 42
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LAYGO:

I've been reading ARFCom for years as a guest, but I registered just to say thank you for these comments. My fiancée is a psychologist for the VA. She deals with those guys too and I hear her words echoing in your statements. Our Father's served and she saw what the VA did and didn't do for them & she wants to change that. I sincerely appreciate what you and she does for our vets.

THANK YOU.
View Quote
Wow, Henderson Defense- You are awesome!
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
We haven't lost any bolts in our 20" guns and that includes one that just went down for "keyholing". I believe I purchased the barrel from Del-Ton about five years ago and it more than served it's purpose.

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blain:

@Hendersondefense

Sounds good Ron!  What info did you find out?

Thanks!
We haven't lost any bolts in our 20" guns and that includes one that just went down for "keyholing". I believe I purchased the barrel from Del-Ton about five years ago and it more than served it's purpose.

V/R
Ron
@Hendersondefense

Any idea on the round count for those setups?

Thanks for the updates.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried to rent a m16 at the shitty place in Myrtle Beach like 10 years ago.  They had a 6 hour wait so I was out.  I think they tore that place down when they widened the road.  You could make bank there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Exactly!

The forward assist assy and dust cover assy are still in excellent condition and it's MUCH easier to just transfer those parts over to a new stripped upper receiver. That poor upper has done it's time and now it's time to just fade away into the depths of a box full of parts that have been sacrificed tot he gun gods

V/R
Ron
View Quote
It'd be interesting to have pieces like this on the wall showing these off to customers, also kinda like a food offering to Buddha.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:08:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HendersonDefense] [#5]
We had a couple of weapons go down today. One of our M134 "miniguns" suffered a crack in the main housing and we lost another M4 upper that snapped at the extension of the upper receiver. I guess we've lost quite a few uppers in this manner. This Colt M4 already had it's upper swapped once prior to this catastrophic failure today. It happened on the second to last round and it only twisted slightly when it stopped functioning. The RSO immediately replaced the weapon and gave her a new a magazine but again, nobody was injured, the barrel assembly moved forward no more than an inch and twisted just slightly.

I don't know who made this upper but it's an Anchor-Harvey forging with "M4" engraved on the face of the receiver.

Edited to add: This upper receiver was put into service on 27 MAR 18 but we have no records of who manufactured it where we got it from. I don't know how it ended up on the line because the barrel was Charles Daily Defense (marked CDD 5.56 1/7 NATO) and I don't know how we ended up with it. The only thing I can think of is that we took it in trade and the staff put it into service as we don't sell these parts at Battlefield Vegas.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:31:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerForged] [#6]
We had a couple of weapons go down today. One of our M134 "miniguns" suffered a crack in the main housing and we lost another M4 upper that snapped at the extension of the upper receiver. I guess we've lost quite a few uppers in this manner. This Colt M4 already had it's upper swapped once prior to this catastrophic failure today. It happened on the second to last round and it only twisted slightly when it stopped functioning. The RSO immediately replaced the weapon and gave her a new a magazine but again, nobody was injured, the barrel assembly moved forward no more than an inch and twisted just slightly.

I don't know who made this upper but it's an Anchor-Harvey forging with "M4" engraved on the face of the receiver.

Edited to add: This upper receiver was put into service on 27 MAR 18 but we have no records of who manufactured it where we got it from. I don't know how it ended up on the line because the barrel was Charles Daily Defense (marked CDD 5.56 1/7 NATO) and I don't know how we ended up with it. The only thing I can think of is that we took it in trade and the staff put it into service as we don't sell these parts at Battlefield Vegas.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/b8HC0BN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wUnjRAh.jpg
View Quote
Good Lord
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]

V/R
Ron

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:05:55 AM EDT
[#8]

V/R
Ron

View Quote
That will make cleanup much easier.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:49:25 AM EDT
[#9]

V/R
Ron

View Quote
Front actually fell off
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MRW:
wow.  So avoid Charles Daly ARs?  I never know they offered them.  CD is simply a rebranded line IIRC.  They don't make their own stuff.
Does the hive think that was a material flaw, or could it be an installation error, overtorqueing of the barrel nut perhaps?
View Quote
This has happened to every upper receiver we've used to be honest. I just don't pictures in time before the RSO's start tearing things down. It's happened to Colt, Daniel Defense, PSA and every other brand we use. It's just part of the game when going through a high volume of ammo

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#12]
That's fascinating.  I wonder if you'd get any more life out of a steel upper.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
That's fascinating.  I wonder if you'd get any more life out of a steel upper.
View Quote
That or the LMT monolithic upper, LWRC monoforge upper or the Mega monolithic design.

All should have a bit more support around that point on the AR, probably would deal with the stress a bit better over time.

Thing is, I doubt it matters much for us as if we can afford to shoot that many rounds we can easily afford to simply replace the upper.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Thermal fatigue...?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#15]

This has happened to every upper receiver we've used to be honest. I just don't pictures in time before the RSO's start tearing things down. It's happened to Colt, Daniel Defense, PSA and every other brand we use. It's just part of the game when going through a high volume of ammo

V/R
Ron
View Quote
How many rounds does that take before that happens?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AASG:

View Quote
i would guess a couple hundred thousand.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rusten] [#18]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
Damn dude! That thing looks tits. Love it!
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:58:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#20]
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
This + I think you mentioned this has never happened to any of your 20" barrel ARs!

@Hendersondefense Any updates on the LMT enhanced bolt orders?  Chris Bartocci made a great video about them here and mentions in thousands upon thousands of rounds he hasn't been able to break one yet!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZkK70Miz60
Enhanced AR/M16/M4 Bolts and Bolt Carriers - Part 1
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I wonder if constant uneven forces contribute to that, and if you trued the receivers if that would fix it or make it last longer before a break?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By pavlovwolf:
I wonder if constant uneven forces contribute to that, and if you trued the receivers if that would fix it or make it last longer before a break?
View Quote
I would wager its heat/cooling along a stress point (the end of the threading)

I doubt a normal semi AR would see this, the only other failure like this has been with mil m4s, ie guns shot a lot and abused.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:

I doubt a normal semi AR would see this, the only other failure like this has been with mil m4s, ie guns shot a lot and abused.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:
Originally Posted By pavlovwolf:

Yup that's exactly what I thought as well. Heat/cooling cycles over and over and over. High heat at that, everybody rents an M4 or M4A1 to shoot burst or F/A.
Highly doubt most of us here will ever experience that failure except maybe those with M16 lowers
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Ron,

As always the info is greatly appreciated!! Should be up in your neck of the woods before the end of the year, looking forward to it.

Question: Do you mainly run A2 hiders on your rifles? Do you use any breaks/BMD's to assist with the muzzle climb? I know at my local indoor range not many people can stand being in a lane next to me for that reason.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ShooterDrew:
Ron,

As always the info is greatly appreciated!! Should be up in your neck of the woods before the end of the year, looking forward to it.

Question: Do you mainly run A2 hiders on your rifles? Do you use any breaks/BMD's to assist with the muzzle climb? I know at my local indoor range not many people can stand being in a lane next to me for that reason.
View Quote
All of our M4's/AR15's use A2 flash hiders with the exception of the M16A1's with the birdcage flash hiders.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#26]
@Hendersondefense you ever get those LMT bolts?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 2:26:12 AM EDT
[#27]

All of our M4's/AR15's use A2 flash hiders with the exception of the M16A1's with the birdcage flash hiders.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
My buddies took me to Battlefield Vegas for my bachelor party recently, so I finally got to see your range first-hand.

While our time there was relatively short ($$$), it was an unforgettable experience. Plus, everything worked and nothing broke, so thanks for all your hard work!
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Awesome thread! Thanks for all the info.. very interesting reading through the posts. How are the SCAR16's holding up these days?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I think at this point we need a summary of findings.  I will have some time next week and see if I can put together
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By myhatinthering:
I think at this point we need a summary of findings.  I will have some time next week and see if I can put together
View Quote
That would be great!
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By everready73:
That would be great!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By everready73:
Originally Posted By myhatinthering:
That would be great!
Seconded!

I’m also kind of a dork when it comes to creating random Excel files. So, if anyone wants some assistance, let me know.

I’d likely be willing to take this on individually. But, not knowing if @myhatinthering has any affiliation with BFLV, I don’t want to get started if he’s got access to additional data that’s not found in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Those fancy LMT bolts every make it into the rotation?
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#34]
The only things he should need spares of on the LMT enhanced bolts are the proprietary extractors and extractor springs.  LMT should provide him with some extras of those free of charge with all the business he gives them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#35]

V/R
Ron

View Quote
Damn

Seen that happen before, but never one the cracked off.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I bet he has some hot updated info for us!
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
Awesome thread! Thanks for all the info.. very interesting reading through the posts. How are the SCAR16's holding up these days?
View Quote
I second this. Looking to purchase a scar 16 here soon. Was wondering how they hold up. Not that it would change my mind as I run maybe 3k rounds of 5.56 a year and would not nearly punish it like you guys do but would be interesting to know!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JohnMH92:

I second this. Looking to purchase a scar 16 here soon. Was wondering how they hold up. Not that it would change my mind as I run maybe 3k rounds of 5.56 a year and would not nearly punish it like you guys do but would be interesting to know!!
View Quote
SCAR's are STILL kicking butt on the range. We've lost a few more bolts over the last year but still not even close in comparison to AR15 bolts.

I apologize that I haven't been been updating the various threads but between work and personal life, it's just been non-stop. I am taking six of the staff to Big Sandy in a few weeks and I plan on talking  to them about helping me out updating the various threads.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:13:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Any Palmetto State Armory AKs on the line yet?  I know Josiah was looking at making it happen.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#41]

SCAR's are STILL kicking butt on the range. We've lost a few more bolts over the last year but still not even close in comparison to AR15 bolts.

I apologize that I haven't been been updating the various threads but between work and personal life, it's just been non-stop. I am taking six of the staff to Big Sandy in a few weeks and I plan on talking  to them about helping me out updating the various threads.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Do you guys have any Beretta ARX100s running, and if so how are they doing?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:43:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Kvjavs:
Any Palmetto State Armory AKs on the line yet?  I know Josiah was looking at making it happen.
View Quote
We are waiting for them to arrive. I let them know that I am hoping for the best because it's another avenue for us to purchase products without being at the mercy of imports.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:44:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Do you guys have any Beretta ARX100s running, and if so how are they doing?  Thanks.
View Quote
We do have one Beretta ARX100 that we cut down the barrel and put on the line as an SBR but NOT full-auto. It doesn't get a bunch of use but zero issues since putting in the line some time ago.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#44]
We do have one Beretta ARX100 that we cut down the barrel and put on the line as an SBR but NOT full-auto. It doesn't get a bunch of use but zero issues since putting in the line some time ago.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:

V/R
Ron
Anybody break a knuckle on the brass deflectors yet?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MattCrush:
Those fancy LMT bolts every make it into the rotation?
View Quote
@Hendersondefense any update on this.  Thanks for all the great data!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#46]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnMH92:

V/R
Ron
We're thankful for whatever you give us Ron! Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#47]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Thanks.  Guess they just aren't that well known to the public.  I don't know how your shop is set up, but maybe if it was "on display" it'd get more use since it looks more like a Star Wars blaster than anything.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Any update on the PSAK-47s? Very anxious as an AK nut.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:04:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#50]
Will you be getting many of the new Brownell's HK 416 kits for the range?
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top