User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Posted: 6/27/2015 2:12:11 PM EDT
Hi Folks,

A forum member asked me if I would give some insight into how our M4's handle on the range because I've started threads on the AK's, pistols and .50 Barretts.

Here's a little background on what we do. We operate a high-volume range in Las Vegas. You can't bring your personal weapons in and rent lanes for an hour. Customers use only our weapons and our ammo. We only use factory new ammo and zero reloads. We keep maintenance log on EACH and every weapon to include cleanings, parts replaced and any other issues that need to be noted. We shoot approximately 400,000 rounds down range each month and the numbers have actually gone up a bit for May and June. Tourists get to shoot everything from Type 99 Arisaka's, M1 Garand C and D's, MP-44's, G43's, M2HB's, 240's, 249's, MG42's, MG34's, M-14's, Luger's, Swedish K's, M203's, M79's and you get the point. Some weapons are very rare historical weapons that rarely come out of collections or museums and see the light of day.

Here are some "facts" about OUR experience with M4's on the range.

- Some of our M4's have well over 200,000 rounds down range. Barrels have been replaced, gas tubes have been replaced, BCG's have been replaced but what sets it apart from the AK47's is that upper and lower receivers continue to function. AK's get to about the 100,000+ round count and rails on the receiver will start to crack. It's an easy fix with tig welding but they crack. We have yet to lose an upper or lower receiver from cracking.

- We get about 20,000 rounds out of bolts before we start experiencing issues. The headspace gauge will start getting closing on NO-GO but not close on field. We will lose a lug on the bolt. The bolt will start skipping over rounds in the magazine and fail to insert a round. We use LMT and Daniel Defense bolts and some will actually go longer but at about 20,000 rounds is when we will start to see issues appear.

- Gas tubes will erode away at the FSB after 12+ months

- Charging handles will "stretch" allowing the locking lever and spring to fly out

- Hammer pins and disconnectors on the 8.5" full-auto's will break after approximately 4,000-5,000 rounds regardless of the buffer weight

- We have yet to lose a single flash hider as compared to muzzle brakes on an AK-47. The muzzle brakes will literally split in half, looking a like bird with his beak open and go flying down range.

- We no longer use ANY piston conversions or factory pistons guns with the exception of the HK-416 "knock-off" TDI upper. I purchased a FACTORY brand-new MR556 and it started keyholing after only 10,000 rounds. I was SO pissed because I spent all that money on the gun and it couldn't last 10,000 rounds. I had barrels from before we even opened the range with 1,000's of rounds on them from J&T Distributing (chrome-lined) that didn't keyhole well into the 80,000-100,000 range. I don't know who makes or made the J&T barrels but I was so pissed that actually wasted the money on a MR556 and that's all I got from it. I purchased two of the 14.5" TDI knock-offs approximately 6-8 weeks ago and they have been on the line daily with ZERO issues. I only purchased them because people will come in specifically request the "416" and even they've never handled a weapon their entire lives, they KNOW that the top half isn't the "416 like in COD/MW".

- USGI mags have outlasted all of the other brands. We use UGSI (Brownell's with tan follower) and on a mag for mag basis, they have outlasted Pmags and a few of the other mags that we get from mfg'ers with new weapons. We don't have to worry about various generations with different weapons like the MR556, SCAR, F2000, Tavor or a couple of others that use AR15/M4 magazines.

- Cleaning bolts and carriers is such a pain in the ass as compared to our AK's, G36's, SCAR's, ACR's and most other platforms. We throw them in the ultrasonic cleaner filled with Simple Green (EPA, OSHA and disposal concerns for us) and they never full remove the carbon from the bolts. The armorers spend so much time cleaning them and keeping all the parts together as compared to most other platforms.

- The only piston system to last on the range so far is the HK416 and TD415 system. Ever other systems we have tried has failed in one way or another. I won't say who's broke or how they broke so PLEASE don't ask. Each mfg has their own system for cleaning intervals and we may not follow their way. We have a way of cleaning and keeping records that suits our needs because of so much use.

- There is company that has an AR system that has some "parts don't need lubrication" and that failed before the end of the first day. I don't think some mfg's understand that people REALLY use their weapons and when you're rocking full-auto all day they NEED lubrication. My armorers and RSO's were laughing when it seized it up because we knew there was NO way it would last on our range.

- The parts that we see break more often are the bolt cam, bolt lugs shearing off, firing pins and gas keys shearing off the bolt carrier.

These are just a few of the things that I can think of on the top of my head. Please feel free to ask questions and I will try to respond sooner than later depending on my schedule.

V/R
Ron

ps: I am sure there are some grammatical errors as I tend to read the words into a sentence that are not there. Some sort of dyslexia-type of issue that plagued me through eight years of college.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 4:32:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stickyheat] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

I will talk to my operations manager on Monday and get some ordered up. It would be nice to see how well they do on our range.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
I’m very interested to hear how these hold up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By stickyheat:

I’m very interested to hear how these hold up. They use the same Aermet 100 alloy and a dual spring extractor like the KAC E3 bolt.
View Quote
Just FYI, KAC representatives have never told the public about the steel material used on the E3 Bolt.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't know how I missed this thread.

I'll be visiting you guys next month for some full auto fun while I'm out there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]

I will talk to my operations manager on Monday and get some ordered up. It would be nice to see how well they do on our range.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Awesome
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:19:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#5]

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blain:
Question about your contract with LMT.  Have you tried using their "Enhanced" bolts in your ARs?  They supposedly have never broken one, and you mentioned that it's cheaper for you to buy higher quality first and get more life out of it.

I'd love to see you test those out.

Those and the fully plated Chrome BCG from daniel defense.

Also, any progress on the highlighted part from your earlier post below?

V/R
Ron
@HendersonDefense That's great to hear, I'm sure you'll be pleased.  The only thing I'd make sure to mention is to have them give you some spare extractors / springs as they use a different dual spring design vs. the traditional. I'm sure for you they'll throw in a whole bunch (and even some extra extractors) for free!
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the informative content, Rob.

Have you extensively used a Sig MCX, or did were those avoided because of your previous experience with piston ARs?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#7]
thank you
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:47:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J_Meh_Cray_D] [#8]
quote error
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:49:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J_Meh_Cray_D] [#9]
Originally Posted By VeryTraumatic:
Thanks for all the informative content, Rob.

Have you extensively used a Sig MCX, or did were those avoided because of your previous experience with piston ARs?

Thanks.
View Quote
THIS. For the Love of God and All That Is Good, THIS. Would be interesting to see how the Rattler and the Virtus line handle that kind of usage. Sig says, "To Hell And Back" so lets see how it manages.

On SigTalk a user is shows how to replicate a hammer follow malfunction.  You can slowly ease the Bolt forward and keep pressing the trigger... the hammer will go before the Bolt is in battery.  Also the receivers are 6061 Aluminum?

I'm very tempted to get the Rattler, .300BLK but have a feeling I'm walking into a mistake.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By J_Meh_Cray_D:

THIS. For the Love of God and All That Is Good, THIS. Would be interesting to see how the Rattler and the Virtus line handle that kind of usage. Sig says, "To Hell And Back" so lets see how it manages.

On SigTalk a user is shows how to replicate a hammer follow malfunction.  You can slowly ease the Bolt forward and keep pressing the trigger... the hammer will go before the Bolt is in battery.  Also the receivers are 6061 Aluminum?

I'm very tempted to get the Rattler, .300BLK but have a feeling I'm walking into a mistake.
View Quote
You should probably wait for at least the 4th gen of the MCX.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 7:56:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chucky2] [#11]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Question about your contract with LMT.  Have you tried using their "Enhanced" bolts in your ARs?  They supposedly have never broken one, and you mentioned that it's cheaper for you to buy higher quality first and get more life out of it.

I'd love to see you test those out.

Those and the fully plated Chrome BCG from daniel defense.

Also, any progress on the highlighted part from your earlier post below?

V/R
Ron
What would be cool would be to get a few of these enhanced bolts from each manufacturer (DD, KAK, JP, ARP, etc) run them and see how enhanced they really are.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:20:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThrustMyStoma] [#12]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Ron,

Sharps Rifle Company also makes an NP3+, S7 tool steel plus heat treated Reliabolt at a cheaper price (89$) than LMT or JP. I use them in my heavy use suppressed SBRs and have no problems.

Reliabolt

@HendersonDefense
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ThrustMyStoma:

Ron,

Sharps Rifle Company also makes an NP3+, S7 tool steel plus heat treated Reliabolt at a cheaper price (89$) than LMT or JP. I use them in my heavy use suppressed SBRs and have no problems.

Reliabolt

@HendersonDefense
View Quote
There has been several broken reliabolts, I have yet to hear of a broken LMT enhanced bolt.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#14]
How is this not a sticky yet
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JK-919:
View Quote
+ a billion
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BMad316:

There has been several broken reliabolts, I have yet to hear of a broken LMT enhanced bolt.
View Quote
Yeah, I've seen a couple of them not work when people showed up to classes
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#17]
@HendersonDefense as a quick thanks for the invaluable info log out and log back in!

Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TIML:
@HendersonDefense as a quick thanks for the invaluable info log out and log back in!

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 11:43:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: omegaspeedy] [#19]
Originally Posted By paduce:
Hi again Ron.

Found a thread going right here in this forum titled: "bought a PSA upper." It's a few threads down here on this front page.

Member "Zerlak" disputed member "lazyengineer" when lazyengineer praised PSA gear.

Zerlak stated: "Actually he posted that he had numerous PSA bolts go down very early and at low round counts. He couldn't figure out what was wrong/different about them.

The Colt bolts are his longest lasting."

The "he" being you Ron.
View Quote
Just read this entire thread over the last few days and have to say it's a treasure! Ron's contributions here have been superb! This thread is a thing of legend!

Re the dog fight in the PSA forum, I'm guessing it stemmed from the experience Ron had when PSA skimped on the second cap screw on their 9mm AR BCG's and used a pin instead. That cost saving measure poked it's head out in the form of gas keys breaking off in short succession (obviously after many rounds down range but not as many as a colt :D). Here's a quote from Ron, around Page 10 of the thread.

"The PSA 9mm bolts are a bit different from the Colt models and I don't know if it was to cut costs, increase production or what the reason is but they shortened the key on top and eliminated one of the cap screws. We have Colt bolt carriers with 200,000+ rounds that continue to run but the PSA bolts (four out of five) have suffered from a lost key. The one cap screw shears (also held in by a roll pin) and the weapon can no longer be charged back because the charging handle has nothing to grab. Again, I don't know why the didn't use the Colt design of two cap screws (just like a standard 5.56 gas key uses) instead of one but we have yet to lose a key on a Colt bolt carrier. Since the key is only used for charging the weapon, the armorers decided to just weld the key in place and that has fixed the problem so far."
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Great thread. Thanks Ron.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#21]
@Hendersondefense

Any update on the Enhanced LMT bolts?  Did you pick up spare extractors / springs with them?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Also wondering about the LMT bolts and possible longer life
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:57:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thornejc] [#23]
Originally Posted By MattCrush:
Also wondering about the LMT bolts and possible longer life
View Quote
If he comes back and says that they don't last any longer than a normal bolt I'm going to be pissed haha.  These things are pricey.  I definitely would like to see him run an SR15 as well bc I am really interested in comparing the reliability and longevity of the standard Colt milspec bolt vs LMT enhanced vs E3 (and I sure as hell don't have the money to do it )
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I apologize gentleman, we still haven't purchased the bolts. We haven't needed any due to our amount in inventory but I know they are starting to run low.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I apologize gentleman, we still haven't purchased the bolts. We haven't needed any due to our amount in inventory but I know they are starting to run low.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
@HendersonDefense don't forget to order extra enhanced extracors and extractor springs with the bolts as those are proprietary parts, and are the only part of the bolt that should wear and need replacing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AR18:

Actually, I do not have a problem using the POF cam rollers on my gp AA setups and on the td. It actually to me made the systems moved smoother.

My TD415 upper runs overgassed but that something was already made know by the guys in the go forum. I need to go to a H2 bufffer to correct that problem.

Ron, keep bringing in the good info. I would like to see how far does your guys tds hold up.
View Quote
Add LMT and DD bolts are definitely GTG?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#27]
@Hendersondefense

How many cycles do you find the tan follower brownells USGI mags to last vs. the M3 Pmags?  How many cycles do you figure one magazine goes through in one day at your range?  One week?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
View All Quotes

The LMT's?

I wonder if they used just the bolt, or if they used a whole BCG? I've heard several tales of people having problems putting the LMT bolt in a standard BCG, and issues with short stroking in midlengths.

The LMT bolt is meant for use in their enhanced BCG, which has a longer track for the cam pin. It also vents gas out of the ejection port; it's designed around the M4A1 carbine, a 14.5" carbine-gas barrel and H2 buffer, running M855 or other full-power 5.56 rounds. It really comes into its own when a suppressor is added.

Only reason the military never adopted them is because they won't function in an M16.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By rb889:
The LMT's?

I wonder if they used just the bolt, or if they used a whole BCG? I've heard several tales of people having problems putting the LMT bolt in a standard BCG, and issues with short stroking in midlengths.

The LMT bolt is meant for use in their enhanced BCG, which has a longer track for the cam pin. It also vents gas out of the ejection port; it's designed around the M4A1 carbine, a 14.5" carbine-gas barrel and H2 buffer, running M855 or other full-power 5.56 rounds. It really comes into its own when a suppressor is added.

Only reason the military never adopted them is because they won't function in an M16.
View All Quotes

The LMT's?

Pretty sure it's the carrier you're thinking there and not the bolt. The carrier has the extra vent hole in it to help with excess gas, which has nothing to do with the enhanced bolt.

I put the LMT Enhanced bolt with a standard carrier in a 14.5 midlength and it ran like a top, no issues what so ever. This was with all range of ammunition too, including some weaker .223 loads.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

Pretty sure it's the carrier you're thinking there and not the bolt. The carrier has the extra vent hole in it to help with excess gas, which has nothing to do with the enhanced bolt.

I put the LMT Enhanced bolt with a standard carrier in a 14.5 midlength and it ran like a top, no issues what so ever. This was with all range of ammunition too, including some weaker .223 loads.
View Quote
Yea I’ve run several in standard carriers and they have always been perfect.  He’s def thinking about the carrier (which has always worked perfectly for me as well)
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 5:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GHPorter] [#31]
-snip-
The LMT bolt is meant for use in their enhanced BCG, which has a longer track for the cam pin. It also vents gas out of the ejection port
View Quote
Not to nit pick, but the green highlighted portion above is precisely what the holes in the scallop on the side of a standard bolt carrier do - vent gas out the ejection port.  LMT may vent more because of the extra hole, but it’s not something they invented.

Edited to fix typo.  My fingers sometimes go sort of phonetic when I'm typing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JK-919:
View Quote
Because nobody would read it then lol
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:20:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesP81] [#33]
Much earlier in this thread, @HendersonDefense stated that he had observed fewer failures out of the 20" ARs, though it was qualified by the caveat that they put fewer rounds through those guns.

If there is something to it, I'm wondering if it's due to the length of the gas system or the stock / recoil system.  In other words, would we expect a 20" AR with a carbine buffer and tube be as prone to failure as 16" carbines, or would they be more like the 20" rifles with fixed stocks?

Asking because I'm thinking that a Magpul Fixed Carbine stock (which still mounts on a carbine buffer) or a Magpul SL might be a damned good combination with a pencil profile 20" rifle barrel.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JamesP81:
Much earlier in this thread, @HendersonDefense stated that he had observed fewer failures out of the 20" ARs, though it was qualified by the caveat that they put fewer rounds through those guns.

If there is something to it, I'm wondering if it's due to the length of the gas system or the stock / recoil system.  In other words, would we expect a 20" AR with a carbine buffer and tube be as prone to failure as 16" carbines, or would they be more like the 20" rifles with fixed stocks?

Asking because I'm thinking that a Magpul Fixed Carbine stock (which still mounts on a carbine buffer) or a Magpul SL might be a damned good combination with a pencil profile 20" rifle barrel.
View Quote
It is a well known fact in the industry that the 20" AR (the original platform) is the most reliable of the variants.  That's how the gun was designed, and yes it has to do with the gas system and to a lesser extent the rifle buffer / spring.  Army testing has also confirmed this fact.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#35]

It is a well known fact in the industry that the 20" AR (the original platform) is the most reliable of the variants.  That's how the gun was designed, and yes it has to do with the gas system and to a lesser extent the rifle buffer / spring.  Army testing has also confirmed this fact.
View Quote
We use M16A1-style rifles (non-Colt lowers) every day of the week now because of the various packages and to my knowledge, we have zero issues with those. When I stop in there today, I will get information on the performance of the M16A1 and M16A4 configurations that customers shoot all the time.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
Not to nit pick, but the green highlighted portion above is precisely what the holes in the scallop on the side of a standard bolt carrier do - vent gas out the ejection port. LMT may vent more because of the extra hole, but it's not something they invented.

Edited to fix typo. My fingers sometimes go sort of phonetic when I'm typing.
View All Quotes
-snip-
The LMT bolt is meant for use in their enhanced BCG, which has a longer track for the cam pin. It also vents gas out of the ejection port
Not to nit pick, but the green highlighted portion above is precisely what the holes in the scallop on the side of a standard bolt carrier do - vent gas out the ejection port. LMT may vent more because of the extra hole, but it's not something they invented.

Edited to fix typo. My fingers sometimes go sort of phonetic when I'm typing.
While they didn't invent the vent hole, they changed the position on the enhanced bolt carrier. Run suppressed and you note the difference post haste. Rather than at the side direct, they moved higher towards the top.

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
While they didn't invent the vent hole, they changed the position on the enhanced bolt carrier. Run suppressed and you note the difference post haste. Rather than at the side direct, they moved higher towards the top.

https://lmtdefense.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/L7Q3.png
View Quote
You're absolutely correct.  The post I responded to sounded like venting the excess gas out the ejection port was new, which is not true.

The evidence shows their enhanced venting DOES make a (often HUGE) difference, especially when you are running full auto and/or suppressed - especially suppressed because of the increased pressure.  Managing the pressure dump from inside the carrier reduces wear and internal stress, and should make the gun run a lot cleaner, too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
Recent Reliabolts or that early batch with the bad heat treat?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:00:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thornejc] [#40]

You're absolutely correct.  The post I responded to sounded like venting the excess gas out the ejection port was new, which is not true.

The evidence shows their enhanced venting DOES make a (often HUGE) difference, especially when you are running full auto and/or suppressed - especially suppressed because of the increased pressure.  Managing the pressure dump from inside the carrier reduces wear and internal stress, and should make the gun run a lot cleaner, too.
View Quote
In addition to the modified cam pin track that increases time it takes to unlock the bolt, allowing for pressures to drop thus reducing the stress on the lugs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 4:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K5FAL] [#41]
Originally Posted By M4A1Carbine:

Quite simply, many people who spend $1500+ on high end rifles don’t want to believe you can get a reliable AR for less than half that. There is a lot of marketing to the same effect.

I’ve always recommended people look at PSA premium ARs and use the money they save on optics and ammo.

Thank you for the continued updates. They are very much appreciated.
View Quote
lol I have a Trijicon TA31 and Geissele SSA-E on my Palmetto A4 build.  Sounds crazy but I wouldn’t have it any other way, though.  It’s CHF premium but I’m starting to become a believer in their Freedom line of products as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Checking back for LMT or any other updates
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#43]
We use M16A1-style rifles (non-Colt lowers) every day of the week now because of the various packages and to my knowledge, we have zero issues with those. When I stop in there today, I will get information on the performance of the M16A1 and M16A4 configurations that customers shoot all the time.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
@Hendersondefense

Sounds good Ron!  What info did you find out?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#44]

@Hendersondefense

Sounds good Ron!  What info did you find out?

Thanks!
View Quote
We haven't lost any bolts in our 20" guns and that includes one that just went down for "keyholing". I believe I purchased the barrel from Del-Ton about five years ago and it more than served it's purpose.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#45]

We haven't lost any bolts in our 20" guns and that includes one that just went down for "keyholing". I believe I purchased the barrel from Del-Ton about five years ago and it more than served it's purpose.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Hotdamn brother the 20 inch guns just keep on running. Eugene Stoner was a genius! Great thread!
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Bumping/tagging.

Also, with regards to "super bolts" like the LMT, the JP, and the Sharps--In addition to the problematic Relia-bolt, Sharps has a DLC-coated XPB, for "Xtreme Performance Bolt". I'm curious as to how these premium bolts hold up as well, I'm debating whether it's worth getting one in my current rifle.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Just finished reading this thread.  WOW!

It's pure gold.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#48]
One last word about my staff. I hired a new driver two weeks ago. Everything looked good; infantry E5 who was running and gunning and DD-214 matched up with application. After all was said and done about his service, he called him out on smoking pot. He admitted that he's had issues adjusting since being home and he was hoping that it would help him relax but instead made him more depressed. He said he heard about a place where it' mostly GI's working together in a military-style environment and he was hoping he would fit in. I told my manager to hire him on the spot and start issuing him uniform, boots and get him out for a whiz quiz and background check ASAP. Two days later he walked up to me and asked if he could talk. I said of course as my staff know that I have an open-door policy for personal matters. He told me that he thinks this is the best thing that's ever happened. He said he's tried to get jobs at other places but when you go from 100 miles per hour to zero it hits you hard. When just a couple months ago when you were shooting people down range and you have your boys with you everyday life gets turned upside down when you can't talk about it with fellow employees who will think you're crazy and going to do something stupid. He looked at me with those same eyes I get from so many of the staff and said thank you for doing this. He said he needed to get back in uniform, he needed to talk to guys who are on his level and have been there, done that and can cope with words that come out of his mouth.
View Quote
I've been reading ARFCom for years as a guest, but I registered just to say thank you for these comments. My fiancée is a psychologist for the VA. She deals with those guys too and I hear her words echoing in your statements. Our Father's served and she saw what the VA did and didn't do for them & she wants to change that. I sincerely appreciate what you and she does for our vets.

THANK YOU.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#49]
(Sucks I had to cull the comments so short to fit 2000 character limit for new accounts, but I do understand why.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By LAYGO:
I've been reading ARFCom for years as a guest, but I registered just to say thank you for these comments. My fiance is a psychologist for the VA. She deals with those guys too and I hear her words echoing in your statements. Our Father's served and she saw what the VA did and didn't do for them & she wants to change that. I sincerely appreciate what you and she does for our vets.

THANK YOU.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LAYGO:
One last word about my staff. I hired a new driver two weeks ago. Everything looked good; infantry E5 who was running and gunning and DD-214 matched up with application. After all was said and done about his service, he called him out on smoking pot. He admitted that he's had issues adjusting since being home and he was hoping that it would help him relax but instead made him more depressed. He said he heard about a place where it' mostly GI's working together in a military-style environment and he was hoping he would fit in. I told my manager to hire him on the spot and start issuing him uniform, boots and get him out for a whiz quiz and background check ASAP. Two days later he walked up to me and asked if he could talk. I said of course as my staff know that I have an open-door policy for personal matters. He told me that he thinks this is the best thing that's ever happened. He said he's tried to get jobs at other places but when you go from 100 miles per hour to zero it hits you hard. When just a couple months ago when you were shooting people down range and you have your boys with you everyday life gets turned upside down when you can't talk about it with fellow employees who will think you're crazy and going to do something stupid. He looked at me with those same eyes I get from so many of the staff and said thank you for doing this. He said he needed to get back in uniform, he needed to talk to guys who are on his level and have been there, done that and can cope with words that come out of his mouth.
I've been reading ARFCom for years as a guest, but I registered just to say thank you for these comments. My fiance is a psychologist for the VA. She deals with those guys too and I hear her words echoing in your statements. Our Father's served and she saw what the VA did and didn't do for them & she wants to change that. I sincerely appreciate what you and she does for our vets.

THANK YOU.
This

Ron you are a good man and changed that NCOs life.

Well done

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top