Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2015 5:45:06 PM EDT
First the ejector broke and I replaced this and then the bolt broke in two pieces.

I spoke with David at Radical and he indicated that the ejector breaking could lead to a problem like the bolt breaking. He also said that this is the first he had seen this happen to in over 50K bcg's. All sounded very questionable what he was telling me. But they did replace the bolt.

Now I was replacing the muzzle device using a barrel extension torque tool and the barrel extension came loose from the barrel w/o a lot of force. I have heard that they are supposed to be torqued to 150 lbs.

I'm not planning on wasting my time to get them to send me a replacement barrel. I'm sure I would have to suffer through more of their poor attitude and trying to associate blame with something I did. Also when the bolt broke I was not comfortable using the replacement they sent me and bought a new Spikes BCG.

I've already purchased a new barrel.

I'm not mad but I am beyond skeptical of the quality of parts they are selling in their guns.

There is more value here to others to share my experience
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of their barrels in a future build box. This does not instill much confidence.

My barrel is a 16", 1x7 mid-length melonited.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one of their barrels in a future build box. This does not instill much confidence.

View Quote

I had one of these barrels on a RECCE build and I was not happy with it all. It was very inconsistent in accuracy. I changed it out with a 16.1" Douglas SS RECON 1/8 barrel from Compass Lake Engineering. What a difference. I bought the Radical Firearms because it was cheap and I figured I would give it a shot. All said and done, I threw away $65 learning a valuable lesson. I spent a little over $300 for the CLE/Douglas barrel and it is worth every penny. This is not to say that all Radical Firearms barrels or ARs are junk. A few guys have had good luck with them. A majority have not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

kind of in the same boat just put the 7.62x39 barrel on a pistol build and haven't had time to shoot it yet..
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Now I was replacing the muzzle device using a barrel extension torque tool and the barrel extension came loose from the barrel w/o a lot of force. I have heard that they are supposed to be torqued to 150 lbs.
View Quote

That is why you don't hold a threaded on part to remove a threaded on part at the other end of the barrel. You cant really fly the improper installation flag when you don't use proper disassembly procedure.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes I agree,but a muzzle device should have a lot less torque that the barrel extension.
That is if it was ASSembled correctly in Tejas,it is a "High End" barrel after all.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

kind of in the same boat just put the 7.62x39 barrel on a pistol build and haven't had time to shoot it yet..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a X39 barrel from them as well. Haven't assembled it yet.
Primary Arms are a dealer. So that was endorsement enough.

Hope it works out when I get it together.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the same as i was thinking pa sells it must be gtg. The barrel itself looks great and had no issues installing it. Its on a fun range plinker so no big deal if its not super accurate
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's the same as i was thinking pa sells it must be gtg. The barrel itself looks great and had no issues installing it. Its on a fun range plinker so no big deal if its not super accurate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too purchased it based more on Primary Arms' reputation. Still hoping it'll be worth the 65 bucks during the Xmas time sales.

I have some other barrels in mind if it decides to be less than ideal.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First the ejector broke and I replaced this and then the bolt broke in two pieces.

I spoke with David at Radical and he indicated that the ejector breaking could lead to a problem like the bolt breaking. He also said that this is the first he had seen this happen to in over 50K bcg's. All sounded very questionable what he was telling me. But they did replace the bolt.

I'm not planning on wasting my time to get them to send me a replacement barrel. I'm sure I would have to suffer through more of their poor attitude and trying to associate blame with something I did. Also when the bolt broke I was not comfortable using the replacement they sent me and bought a new Spikes BCG.

I've already purchased a new barrel.

I'm not mad but I am beyond skeptical of the quality of parts they are selling in their guns.

There is more value here to others to share my experience
View Quote

Yeah, they only recommend using a barrel vise clamp to change muzzle devices.  I noticed it on their website earlier this week after I unscrewed the barrel extension when replacing a muzzle device and it took about 50 foot-pounds.  I guess it's one more reason to spend more with better known manufacturers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if they are treating the barrels after the extension is installed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top