Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 6:20:21 PM EDT
Im pulling the trigger on a SLR adjustable gas block tonnight Is there any reason to like one style over the other?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Set screw GB are smaller and are for fitting under smaller hand guards.  Clamp on style is a little more secure so that say.  I've never had a set screw gas block budge after it was mounted.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Set screw GB are smaller and are for fitting under smaller hand guards.  Clamp on style is a little more secure so that say.  I've never had a set screw gas block budge after it was mounted.
View Quote

Pretty much this.

If I am going under handguards I generally use a set screw model.  When I installed a SLR on an AR10 which would reside outside the handguard, I ordered the clamp style.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a dimpled barrel, the set screw type makes it essentially automatic to get the gas port aligned.

Clamp on types I would suggest for non-dimpled barrels.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a dimpled barrel, the set screw type makes it essentially automatic to get the gas port aligned.

Clamp on types I would suggest for non-dimpled barrels.
View Quote

This is my thought as well.  Now that the low profile clamp on are becoming more readily available, that's exactly what I will do...  Dimple gets set screw and non dimple gets clamp on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Everybody
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
A DD .625 clamp on would touch sometimes on my NSR rail.  The set screw gas block from brownells fixed that issue.  Any one want a $50 DD gas block?  HA.

This is not a WTS.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
For what it's worth, I've got the SLR clamp on gas block under the thin MI SSK rail on my DPMS G2 and it clears the rail just fine.

-bob
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for set screw types, as they can be pinned.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top