Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 1:16:00 PM EDT
Wondering what do you base your decision on? Everything I have has a FH. All 16" barrels  , inc one middy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Wondering what do you base your decision on? Everything I have has a FH. All 16" barrels  , inc one middy.
View Quote

What I can mount my suppressor to.  

Beyond that, personally prefer flash suppressors to brakes, but I also a) like front heavy weapons, which takes care of a lot of the recoil mitigation (as does having a suppressor mounted), b) relative to a flash suppressor, no matter how well designed to reduce or mitigate is - a brake is always going to be louder and have more concussion and blast, which also relates to c) I like to shoot at night, so flash suppression, while not as big of deal, IMHO, as some make it out to be, is always welcome.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Beyond that, personally prefer flash suppressors to brakes, but I also a) like front heavy weapons, which takes care of a lot of the recoil mitigation (as does having a suppressor mounted), b) relative to a flash suppressor, no matter how well designed to reduce or mitigate is - a brake is always going to be louder and have more concussion and blast, which also relates to c) I like to shoot at night, so flash suppression, while not as big of deal, IMHO, as some make it out to be, is always welcome.  

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

I'm the opposite.  

I prefer surefire muzzle brakes because I am not clearing rooms with my mates as a civilian, so I don't care about muzzle blast.

My vortex flash hider pings every time I shoot, and it drives me nuts.

And one day, I'll own a suppressor.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the Ping!  Now that I am switching everything over to AAC 51t mounts for the can, it pings even better

Brakes are obnoxious at the range.  Brakes on my SBRs at the range make people blood thirsty.

I do have a few Linear comps that are nice
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I love the Ping!  Now that I am switching everything over to AAC 51t mounts for the can, it pings even better

Brakes are obnoxious at the range.  Brakes on my SBRs at the range make people blood thirsty.

I do have a few Linear comps that are nice
View Quote

Everything he said.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess it gets a little fuzzy depending on barrel length as to which is more helpful...and where you shoot...and when you shoot (day/night)...and talking about 5.56/.223 instead of bigger calibers...and on and on.  For example, I have one of those Kel-Tec PLR16 plinker pistols, 5.56.  A 9.2" barrel in this gun at this weight "could" benefit from a brake, but if you ever fire this pistol in low light or darkness, you'll probably choose a good flash hider...unless you enjoy Hiroshima-like blinding flashes.  Frankly, even in pistol 5.56's, I don't find them to recoil any more than a full-size, service duty 9mm...92FS, etc.  I'll take the flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wondering what do you base your decision on?
View Quote

Flash hiders for me. I don't find the recoil on a 5.56 bad enough to warrant the noise/blast of a brake.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't shoot without a can on, so all brakes for me. Greatly protects the life of your cans and all.

Well, I do have one 10.3" that's a dedicated light and handy KISS rig. That one sports a flash hider since I never run it with a can.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Flash hiders for me.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I base the decision on whether I want flash reduction or recoil reduction  Cost and cosmetics are also considerations.  Now that we can have sound suppressors in WA, mounting a can may also become a consideration for me.  So far the cost and paperwork have kept me from doing it.

It's not like the AR kicks hard, but most of my ARs wear brakes because I really don't need flash suppression.  Recoil reduction is more useful to me than flash suppression, and increased muzzle blast isn't an issue (for me) because I always wear ear protection when I shoot.  That said my A1 clone wears an A1 flash suppressor for cosmetic.  I have a vortex on my "go to" AR.  I also have A2 flash suppressors on a couple others (because the barrels were threaded, A2 flash suppressors are cheap and ARs don't look right with just a thread protector).  My $0.02.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Flash hider for flash suppression (duh) and an adjustable gas block to to lessen felt action.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I shoot in and help run an outlaw 2gun league where 75% of the shooting is done with an AR. New guys show up all the time running FHs, then as they try harder and harder to get to the top of the scores, they inevitably swap the FH for a MB. MB is a huge help when fractions of a second between followup shots count. But none of us are in combat where flash matters. It all depends on your situation.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I shoot in and help run an outlaw 2gun league where 75% of the shooting is done with an AR. New guys show up all the time running FHs, then as they try harder and harder to get to the top of the scores, they inevitably swap the FH for a MB. MB is a huge help when fractions of a second between followup shots count. But none of us are in combat where flash matters. It all depends on your situation.
View Quote

This has been my experience. if it is for gaming, brake/comp. I use a flash hider for my HD rifle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
weapon - FH and/or suppressor

Game gun - brake/comp

range only  gun - whatever
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
For me personally....for the most part.....

If the rifle is scoped it gets a comp.

If it's not scoped I run a FH.

I do have two rifles that use comps (not scoped), but there aren't fireball makers.

One of my scoped rifles with a Rainier Mini-Comp is a 18" barrel with rifle gas that shoots VERY soft and I can get back on target very quickly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#15]
SO, a middy with a FH and a carbine with the MB are comparable results? or, am I way off on my thinking?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
SO, a middy with a FH and a carbine with the MB are comparable results? or, am I way off on my thinking?
View Quote

What would gas system length have to do with it?  (As far as blast etc)

A brake will calm the rise more than the gas system IMO if that is what you mean.

Still not a big enough deal for me vs the blast and noise
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A brake will calm the rise more than the gas system IMO if that is what you mean.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, you hear a middy is a little softer shooter , by that easier for the follow up. So, if the brake is achieving the same results, that was my point of comparing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I shoot 95% of the time at a fairly busy range where there's an occupied bench within a few feet of me. I've shot next to guys with brakes and it's absolutely miserable. I don't want to be that guy so I stick with FHs...even with a FH people get pissed and have accused me of having a brake on my rifle
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:28:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Competition rifle: brake
Mostly used with suppressor: brake
Want to piss off the guy next to you: brake
Everything else: flash hider
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I simply don't think anything less than .308 caliber needs a muzzle brake. Flash-hiders on the other hand - hell, who doesn't need those...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I shoot 3 gun and use a modified Miculek brake... when you are trying to squeeze off a shot at 400m on a 10" MGM flash target in a good crossing wind, you need all the help you can get to keep down scope movement for a potential follow up ( or two)
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I shoot 95% of the time at a fairly busy range where there's an occupied bench within a few feet of me. I've shot next to guys with brakes and it's absolutely miserable. I don't want to be that guy so I stick with FHs...even with a FH people get pissed and have accused me of having a brake on my rifle
View Quote

Ask them if they would rather you put a tampon on the end of it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#23]
A my ars wear  A2FH EXCERPT MY 14.5 for legal reasons.   the a2 is the most effective FH  from the numerous threads on the topic and it is  important to me that bayonets fit on my ars  I have tried a phantom but it ripped up my soft case. I also put the same comp the scar 17 has on my 308 but it is very loud
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A my ars wear  A2FH EXCERPT MY 14.5 for legal reasons.   the a2 is the most effective FH  from the numerous threads on the topic and it is  important to me that bayonets fit on my ars  I have tried a phantom but it ripped up my soft case. I also put the same comp the scar 17 has on my 308 but it is very loud
View Quote

Simply not true. works well for the cost though.

I run all FH's but have been thinking about switching one of em over the a brake.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I run all FH's but have been thinking about switching one of em over the a brake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he meant most effective for cost....
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Flash hiders for me. I don't find the recoil on a 5.56 bad enough to warrant the noise/blast of a brake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wondering what do you base your decision on?

This for me
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I shoot suppressed 99% of the time so brakes for me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top