Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 9:17:22 PM EDT
About a 2 years to be exact. It was a gift from my uncle that I've never had the desire/time to do anything with. So I'm looking to get rid of this rifle. The problem is I don't know much about the AR-15 platform (at all) . I'm a long time lurker on this site (mainly handguns), but I recently made an account in hopes that an AR-15 expert could ball park the value/fair price of this equipment. The rifle is brand new, never been fired. Also, this is not an attempt to sell the gun through this thread. Just looking for a valuations/opinions. Any help would be much appreciated!

PICTURES

http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/mistersmith13/library/AR15?sort=6&page=1
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#1]
In this market, I wouldnt pay more than $500 for it based on the pictures. Nothing personal, but ar15s, factory and parts, are cheap and plentiful at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I think if you shot one and learned more about the AR platform youd want to keep it
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#3]
It is most definitely NOT a seller's market right now. Unless you're desperate for cash at the moment, I would strongly urge you to keep it. You'll either shoot it more and learn to love it or at the worst, have a reasonably good investment that you can dump for $1000+ in the next panic.

Do you have other semi-auto rifles? Every American needs one IMO.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you would be very disappointed with what it would go for.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you would be very disappointed with what it would go for.
View Quote

+1. If you MUST get rid of it, wait till the next panic. If you go shoot it, you'll want to keep it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have always preferred hand guns but a couple years ago I shot a friends AR. I now have 4 and an AK. Or at least I did until the boating accident. In today's  market you can get a sub $500.00 AR like the one in your pictures. Unless you need the money I would suggest try it you may like it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#7]
PSA lower (not sure if it's a complete lower or a stripped lower with a build kit) and what looks like a DPMS upper (the barrel is marked 1/9 twist DPMS) so, it's not even a complete factory rifle and is what would be considered a Frankenbuild. To top it off, the two manufacturers listed are on the low end cost wise compared to some of the others out there and, you could possibly build your own for somewhere in the vicinity of $500 +/- dollars.

As other have stated, it's a buyers market and you wouldn't get much for that rifle so, you should definitely think about keeping it for now unless you can find someone that really doesn't know much about AR's and will pay what you think it's worth. For someone that does know, I'd be surprised if you could get more than $500 for it and that's stretching it. I would most likely offer $300-$350 but, that's just me.

Since it was a gift, why not give it back to whoever gave it to you since it's obvious you don't like or want it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 for about the $500 +/-

Kinda like Jboy's idea if you aren't in the need of some cash why not gift it to someone else.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The only plus side to that gun is that it is one of the original PSA lowers, and if the serial starts with AP it was made by Aero Precision.  Other than that, it is a $500 gun, and even with that lower, it doesn't raise the price much.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely worth less than imagined. Maybe I'll keep it and try to get some type of optic for it. Thanks again. Also, its not really a give back situation, my uncle is very wealthy i already told him i might sell it, hes not bothered.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Since it was a gift, why not give it back to whoever gave it to you since it's obvious you don't like or want it.
View Quote

Since  OP did not own AR 15 type of rifles, his uncle gifted him an entry AR hoping he'd become an AR  enthusiast.
OP looks the gift horse in the mouth.
A bottle of Wild Irish Rose wine would have been a better gift.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:54:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I love Irish rose! Cant get it up in MN anymore though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Shoot it!!!  I guarantee you'll have a blast...and then you'll get BRD.

I don't always shoot guns, but when I do, I shoot an AR15.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Shoot in I guarantee you will want to keep it. To be honest the market is in the tank right now, lots of supply few buyers, if you truely want to sell it wait until the next panic and get top dollar for it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:55:28 AM EDT
[#16]
sell the barreled upper then get a factory palmetto upper premium chromelined barrel ....you could sell that barreled upper for at least $200 to $225 shipped then add $50 out of pocket and get a better upper save the BCG and charging handle for the new upper.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#17]
You can build that exact gun for 550 so 500 is about right
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Every man needs to have a rifle on hand.  At least that one is free and looks serviceable.

And if you get into AR's it's a great rifle to get to learn on, it's already optic ready, and relatively stock so you can really experience the how's and why's of different mods as you install them.

JMO
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:51:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Purchase a rear sight & a box of ammo for it. Then take it to a range sometime & fire off a few rounds. Who knows, maybe then you'll gain some appreciation for the thoughts, expenditures, efforts, & feelings your Uncle put toward gifting to you your first ever AR-15.

Or better still, invite the man to go shooting with you, so that when you get that dumb-ass smile on your face the first time you fire it, he can have that look that says "There's hope for you yet".
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Purchase a rear sight & a box of ammo for it. Then take it to a range sometime & fire off a few rounds. Who knows, maybe then you'll gain some appreciation for the thoughts, expenditures, efforts, & feelings your Uncle put toward gifting to you your first ever AR-15.

Or better still, invite the man to go shooting with you, so that when you get that dumb-ass smile on your face the first time you fire it, he can have that look that says "There's hope for you yet".
View Quote

Do this op
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I love Irish rose! Cant get it up in MN anymore though.
View Quote

They have pills for that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Donate it to your local PD........
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#23]
When the zombie apocalypse starts I'll bet you'll wish you had kept it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#24]
You will love the inherent precision and great versatility of even a basic AR.  Some of my least expensive guns were gifts from a relative or inheritances.  I now have too many long guns to all fit in my 32 slot safe at soon to be 65 years of age.  Those basic guns form the heart of my collection.  My first pre teen single shot 22.  My first single shot 12 gage.  The .30-30 my dad gave me that I shot my first deer with (since stolen from my car), the first rifle I bought with my own money.  The rifle I inherited from another relative that took my largest deer.  Another shotgun (semiauto) that just "fits" me and reminds me of all the bird shooting he and I did together.  Most of the others are higher grade arms that I have picked up over the years.

The ones given me all tell a story and are now heirlooms, regardless of current modest value in most cases.  My free advice:  Honor you're uncle for thinking enough of you to buy it.  If he is local, go shooting with him.  Look at his face, see the smile.    I don't care how rich he is, he gave you this for some reason besides its cost. One day be will not be here.  Build some memories with it.  It is not every day someone thinks enough of a family member to bestow on them something that may have cost him far more than its current value.

Put an inexpensive folding rear sight on it, like a simple Magpul MBUS ($50-60), buy some bulk 55 or 62 grain ammo and go shoot the rifle.  You may get hooked.

If you want to put an optic on it Walmart or any sporting goods store will have the basic "high rise" version of the little Bushnell TRS-25 micro red dot.  This has a riser in the box to lift it up to match the height of your stock and to put the dot up over the top of your front sight.  It is plentiful, durable and dependable enough for practice and range use and under $100.

Remember how much your uncle must have thought of you.  He is a rare person in today's America.  When the time comes that you can do something like this for your own child or a close relative, do it to honor them as he has done you, and to keep the Second Amendment alive and vibrant.

Forgive my soapbox moment. but stuff like this needs to be said from time to time, even if the hear of this post is not technical.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Look, nobody here has given you bad advice.  The most basic facts are that the AR market is at it's lowest in years and you have a very entry level model.  My advice?  Keep it and shoot it.

I started my now double digit AR collection with one rifle VERY similar to what you have.  It's a great platform to learn on.  First of all, they are a blast to shoot.  The more you shoot, you'll get an idea of what you really like about your AR and AR's in general, and what you'd like to change.  You've got a very basic carbine.  Somewhere down the road you'll decide that a full-auto bolt group and a chrome lined barrel with a mid-length gas system are an absolute must if you want to be respected in the AR community.  And you'll decide that you can't possibly continue to shoot the rifle without a trigger upgrade and a red dot sight.  You'll start collecting tool and parts.  Change your mind about a thing or two in the process, like adding a rail and sling mounts as long as your breaking thins down, etc.  And you'll freak yourself out the first time you start disassembling the real guts of the rifle because you'll realize there a half a billion parts (screws, washers, springs, pins, etc.) involved in just swapping the GRIP.  But you'll get it together in the end and shockingly it will all work.  You'll put about 500 rounds through it and then realize the whole time you've been shooting you were also gathering a parts list in your mind for your NEXT AR build.

Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

this
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top