Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 12:16:50 PM EDT
I realize keymod & magpul are sexy, and will admit the original AR pistol grip needs some work, but who here actually LIKES the original style handguards & 6 positions stocks that come with most rifle kits these days?? Any reason you like them besides the price?? Thanks, Bill
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I like 'em except for that A2 grip. It was designed for a different style of shooting (elbow out).

I like the standard furniture because it's simple, feels "right", and it's what I've trained on so I'm used to it. Muscle memory and all....
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I kind of like the finger groove on the A2 grip but that's about it. It's too skinny and rough otherwise. I do like the original handguards on an FSB AR. Actually considering replacing my KAC on my 6920 with the original milspec plastic handguard. Looks a lot better in midlength though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a fan of it. I can live with the handguards but the stock and grip I have to replace with Magpul.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
All my ARs have the original stock, charging handle, bolt release, and A2 grip. I bought a magpul grip once, but put the A2 grip back on because I didn't like it.

I usually do change the hand guards though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the fat M4 handguards but thats about it ive been shootin and building them 25 years and theyve come along way since then.I love the feel of the magpul handguards,I use the MIAD grip fills my hand better and I use Vltor gen2 mod stocks regular M4 stocks just dont have the comfort,durability and and space for storage that the current stock I use offers
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I still like 4 position car stocks and A1 or A2 grips. I prefere triabgular handguards.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All my ARs have the original stock, charging handle, bolt release, and A2 grip. I bought a magpul grip once, but put the A2 grip back on because I didn't like it.

I usually do change the hand guards though.
View Quote

This.  Mine all sport a KAC RAS but the rest of the furniture is oem.  Only Magpul are mags.  Works for me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
What a coincidence. Yesterday out of boredom, I removed all the "mods" I've done to a 6920 (FDE stuff from Magpul, quad rail, etc...) and reverted back to M4 stock, A2 grip, hand guard, trigger guard. Though I did leave in the QMS trigger and BCM charging handle.

I couldn't stop admiring the beauty in it's simplicity paired with a 20 rd aluminum mag. It almost felt like a new rifle again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty old school-ish, as I've been using/building ARs for 36yrs. All my ARs still have a FSB. Some use oem style hand guards. My first AR bought in 78, as of a few days ago. No keymod here...

3 others using oem-ish stuff. I personally like the hand guards. Not so much the M4 stock.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My only current AR wears an A1 grip (Because A2 grips suck hairy ass), 7-hole skinny handguards, and a repro CAR stock on a 6-pos RE.

If I really want to tart it up, I might consider putting some Izzy handguard wraps on it.

Only Magpul thing that rifle has is a 20-round PMAG I used to sight it in.

It's actually standing by for a rattlecan paintjob tomorrow, when it's nice and warm out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Keymod is sexy? I have some really sexy steel shelving at the house then. Keymod is a fad?

I've never been overly amazed by all the doo-dads we all add. An example, I think you start getting into extremely limited gains with buttstocks... but since it's the most visible change one can make, it's super popular.

The most gains are from a quad rail (non-freefloated! omg!) and the most is a flat A3 type upper receiver.

That said, one thing I like that (with some delay) followed the railed receiver and quad rail was the folding front sight. Nice and out of the way for optics. That said, the only mil weapons this has happened with is the newer monolithic types. Nothing en masse yet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Even though I have Magpul and B5 Systems only builds, I still have a all stock middy build.
Just something classic about it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont mind stock furniture, it works. The only thing a OEM stock is missing is a bit of storage and there are saddles you can fix that with, pads you can slip on them.. I do prefer some rails up front, the whole free-float thing is overblown unless you are a target/competition shooter.  There are enough people not satisfied with the looks/function of stock furniture that a whole industry has popped p to satisfy the demand, it probably more former than latter but dissatisfaction is still dissatisfaction whether it stems from aesthetics or ergonomics.

Keymod sexy?...Key mod is a fat chick that can cook real well , pure function in my book but there are dudes that like fat chicks ...
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the skinny guards.  They are great on a light retro rifle
I do not like the A2 grip.  I think I have a bakers dozen if anybody is building an a2 castle.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#15]
As an SR shooter, they're not bad, but not good.

A2 stocks are too long for offhand, A1s are too short for prone. The "M4" stocks usually have wobble in them and don't have enough cheekpad for me.

The A2 grip is a good proportion, but I'd like it to be bigger.
The only OEM I really don't like is the oval carbine handguards.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes I do, sometimes I like MOE, but I don't do 'rails'.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sometimes I do, sometimes I like MOE, but I don't do 'rails'.

<a href="http://s209.photobucket.com/user/INLAND44/media/Guns/chopped_zps76055b49.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/INLAND44/Guns/chopped_zps76055b49.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s209.photobucket.com/user/INLAND44/media/Guns/DSC01101.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/INLAND44/Guns/DSC01101.jpg</a>
View Quote

Picatinny rail 12 o'clock  
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I still have the old waffle-stomper, 6-position, GI-style stock on my Stag Model 2.  I want to replace it, but it's been there for 5 years now...
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the original stuff just fine.  For the one that would actually get "used" if it came down to it gets a rail for mounting a light, but as far as the ones for just shooting I prefer the original handguards.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I dont mind stock furniture, it works. The only thing a OEM stock is missing is a bit of storage and there are saddles you can fix that with, pads you can slip on them.. I do prefer some rails up front, the whole free-float thing is overblown unless you are a target/competition shooter.  There are enough people not satisfied with the looks/function of stock furniture that a whole industry has popped p to satisfy the demand, it probably more former than latter but dissatisfaction is still dissatisfaction whether it stems from aesthetics or ergonomics.

Keymod sexy?...Key mod is a fat chick that can cook real well , pure function in my book but there are dudes that like fat chicks ...
View Quote

Same here.

When I started I just had to have the latest and greatest furniture and the more rail, the better.  

But a stock gun with a 20rd mag just feels so light and handy.  Now, I get as excited with a retro carbine as the latest fully optioned wundergun.  

On storage, I just want storage space for ear plugs and a change of batteries and I just taped them to the inside of the A2 grip.

For lights I just bolt a rail section through some handguard cooling holes and use a handgun light.

Light, handy, and perfectly capable for most any situation.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I've spent a lot of money on aftermarket furniture, and almost always inevitably end up returning to mostly stock parts -

For pistol grips, I've tried the Ergo, the MIAD, the Lonestar Ordnance, the Tango Down (16 - small model), the HK416 (more vertical grip posture), the Hogue... and probably a couple more I've forgotten - oh, and the classic A1.  

The funniest was the MIAD - I went through just about every single grip combination available with the parts in the full kit.  I ended up... with a five-piece, FDE A2 grip.  Skinny back-strap, and finger nub front-strap.  

I still prefer the A2 the best, and the only other grips I've got are on clones where appropriate.  I keep swapping the back out thinking that maybe, "this time," I'll like an aftermarket grip - and it still never pans out.  

Same with stocks - the only aftermarket stock that has stood the test of shooting and time has been the SOPMOD, I either use them, or standard M4 or CAR stocks - I've had Vltor - Mod and Clubfoot, MagPul M93B, CTR, ACS, and UBR, and again, probably a couple more that are currently escaping me... of them, the CTR lasted the longest, I think going about six months before the M4 stock went back on.  Like pistol grips - I continue to buy and try more to no avail.  

Handguard-wise, it's a different story, though - where I use mostly railed handguards.  "Feel"-wise, however, though, I actually like the M16A2 best - love Retros and the "look" of the A1 and triangular handguards, but actually hate the way they feel - the MagPul MOEs do nothing but replicate that "feel," IMHO - which does them no favors in my eyes.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I hate the A2 grip and fat handguards. The 6-position stock doesn't bother me though, not unless I'm wearing a thin t-shirt as the aggressive texturing on the butt tends to dig in a little more than I'd like.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#23]
My go to wears skinny car handguards.

I've since moved my aimpoint to it.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Stock furniture doesn't bother me bit.  I still have an LEO/GOV marked 6920 with all stock plastic and it ain't gonna change.

I do like a MOE grip and stock, and the BCM Mod3 grip is pretty nice too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/ozvTvnb.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't like the a2 grip. I use ergo. I despise 4 rail handguards.  I like the standard ones that they all come with. Other than my tack driver they all have carry handle rear sight a fsb. Cheap carbine stocks are my go to.

As far as electronic sights, lights and other tactical stuff...not my style.

I also prefer 2 point slings. The redi-mag 1.2 is awesome. It holds tight when not in use and easily and quickly adjusts for fire. It goes on everything.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Love the looks of this set up.. I am an RDS aficionado but the rock solid simplicity is hard to argue against. Going to be hard not to grab a Colt 6933 upper or a P.S.A CHF 12" upper and not build one exactly like this with the stock DD SBR lower I have coming in. I would probably have to slip a Vltor A-5 buffer /tube/spring in there though
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Modded, but old school. jhud did the upper.  I like em as issued.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I prefer it for the most part.  Do like the Tangodown BG16 grip though.  And I prefer the CAR stocks when I can get them.  Should have hoarded more years ago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Love the looks of this set up.. I am an RDS aficionado but the rock solid simplicity is hard to argue against. Going to be hard not to grab a Colt 6933 upper or a P.S.A CHF 12" upper and not build one exactly like this with the stock DD SBR lower I have coming in. I would probably have to slip a Vltor A-5 buffer /tube/spring in there though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is the 12" PSA upper, its been an amazing buy for $400 complete.

Accuracy and reliability are excellent.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Not a fan of ANY of it.

I like CTR and VLTOR stocks for improved cheekwelds and QD sling attachment.

I like Hogue grips for better ergonomics and stickiness.

I like lightweight free float handguards, to improve accuracy, weapon control, and the ability to easily mount lights when needed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I love OEM furniature. A2 grips, mil spec CAR or waffle stocks, standard handguards, A2 stocks. I like all of it, that being said I think not having a rail is a disadvantage on a go-to rifle. But would have no problem taking an A2 grip and a CAR or waffle stock into harms way. Same would go for the A2 stock on an A4. But my current go-to on a car-bean is a MIAD and SOPMOD.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I prefer stock furniture myself.  It works and I don't need taticool stuff to feel manly.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm by no means an expert, but I do not like the feel of the original grips at all. Out of the grips I've used the Magpul MOE + is my favorite. I'm a fan of the rubbery grip. I also prefer a modular rail... like my wilson combat trim rail
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Love the original style handguards In all lengths.
A2 pistol grip is ok, but that gap behind the trigger guard is awful.
Standard carbine stocks are simply terrible. A2 stocks are far too long, but I do like the Colt CS stock.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Love the original style handguards In all lengths.
A2 pistol grip is ok, but that gap behind the trigger guard is awful.
Standard carbine stocks are simply terrible. A2 stocks are far too long, but I do like the Colt CS stock.
View Quote

Magpul trigger guard solves that problem. No need to replace the grip to cover the gap.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I do for the most part however I really like the feel of Hogue grips. The 20" used to wear a KAC M5 RAS. I sold it because I just didn't feel the need for a rail.

Two of my three ARs'.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I really like the A1 grips, for some reason.  I just picked up 3 more.

I am about to have a great northern grip sale on the EE.  Each one I sell will come with a free A2 grip
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#39]
my 20" rifles are stock. My carbine still has the M4 stock but I changed the grip and forearm.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've spent a lot of money on aftermarket furniture, and almost always inevitably end up returning to mostly stock parts -

For pistol grips, I've tried the Ergo, the MIAD, the Lonestar Ordnance, the Tango Down (16 - small model), the HK416 (more vertical grip posture), the Hogue... and probably a couple more I've forgotten - oh, and the classic A1.  

The funniest was the MIAD - I went through just about every single grip combination available with the parts in the full kit.  I ended up... with a five-piece, FDE A2 grip.  Skinny back-strap, and finger nub front-strap.  

I still prefer the A2 the best, and the only other grips I've got are on clones where appropriate.  I keep swapping the back out thinking that maybe, "this time," I'll like an aftermarket grip - and it still never pans out.  

Same with stocks - the only aftermarket stock that has stood the test of shooting and time has been the SOPMOD, I either use them, or standard M4 or CAR stocks - I've had Vltor - Mod and Clubfoot, MagPul M93B, CTR, ACS, and UBR, and again, probably a couple more that are currently escaping me... of them, the CTR lasted the longest, I think going about six months before the M4 stock went back on.  Like pistol grips - I continue to buy and try more to no avail.  

Handguard-wise, it's a different story, though - where I use mostly railed handguards.  "Feel"-wise, however, though, I actually like the M16A2 best - love Retros and the "look" of the A1 and triangular handguards, but actually hate the way they feel - the MagPul MOEs do nothing but replicate that "feel," IMHO - which does them no favors in my eyes.  

~Augee
View Quote

lol, I had the same thing happen with the MIAD.  It was the only combination that I liked.

I think the A2 grip is the best out there for me.  I still would like to try one of the Hogue pistol grips.  They do have more "finger grooves" but they appear to have roughly the same profile as the A2.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Me.  

I don't even like M4 hand guards. I use XM177 hand guards.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am about to have a great northern grip sale on the EE.  Each one I sell will come with a free A2 grip
View Quote

Where did you find them? The EE? I want one to try out.

eta:  the A1 grips
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, a guy had 3 of them, and I snagged them all.  I got my last one from APEX, they have good used ones for sale quite often.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top