Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2015 7:11:11 PM EDT
This is the first AR that I have built in it's entirety from the ground up. I have assembled quite a few lowers... I have most of the components on hand(Lower is assembled already) and the rest are in the mail. I'm hoping to have her fully assembled by this weekend!! Tell me what you think? I know, I know need pics...I will post them immediately after the build is fully assembled.

AR-15 Custom build sheet

Lower: Spike’s Tactical Honey Badger (Forged)
Upper: Spike's Forged M4 Upper Receiver Assembly SFT50M4
Barrel: Spike’s Tactical 16" FN Mid-length CHF 5.56 w/ M4 Extension
BCG: WMD Guns Nickel Boron
Trigger: Geissele SSA-E
Charging Handle: AXTS Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle
Gas Block: Troy Low Profile Gas Block - Pro Grade (SS) .750
Gas Tube: Armalite Mid-Length Gas Tube- PA-GSTB-MID
Hand Guard: BCM KMR 13”
Muzzle Device: YHM-28-5M1 PHANTOM MUZZLE BREAK/ COMPENSATOR Aggressive 1/2"-28 Thread
Stock: BCM Gunfighter MOD-0
Grip: BCM MOD-3
Bolt Release: Seekins Precision
Mag Release: Seekins Precision
End Plate: Noveske QD End Plate
Pins: KNS Precision trigger group pins REMOVED. Geissele pins utilized instead.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

This is the first AR that I have built in it's entirety from the ground up. I have assembled quite a few lowers... I have most of the components on hand(Lower is assembled already) and the rest are in the mail. I'm hoping to have her fully assembled by this weekend!! Tell me what you think? I know, I know need pics...I will post them immediately after the build is fully assembled.

AR-15 Custom build sheet

Muzzle Device: YHM-28-5M1 PHANTOM MUZZLE BREAK/ COMPENSATOR Aggressive 1/2"-28 Thread

Pins: KNS Precision trigger group pins

View Quote
Pick one and ditch the other.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR-15 Custom build sheet

Hint: pick the SSA-E and ditch the KNS pins.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR-15 Custom build sheet

This man has the right idea.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Please explain to a noob builder why I need to ditch the pins? The trigger isn't going anywhere...
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Please explain to a noob builder why I need to ditch the pins? The trigger isn't going anywhere...
View Quote

KNS pins and Gieselle triggers don't play nice together.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you are willing to trust a Geissele trigger, trust the pins that Bill sends with it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not just buy a bcm upper and lower instead if a mix master special?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because I wanted to build an AR from scratch and not just pull it out of the box like most people do...And it's going to be cheaper. :D
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you are willing to trust a Geissele trigger, trust the pins that Bill sends with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hrmmm, pretty vague responses...So I should just use Bill's pins huh? lol   ;)
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because I wanted to build an AR from scratch and not just pull it out of the box like most people do...And it's going to be cheaper. :D
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Geissele triggers do not work well with KNS products. Bill geissele has said this on many occasions. If you to purposely sabotage your build then go ahead and use the KNS.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You bought a $200+ trigger that came with pins designed by the man that designed the trigger.

Why not use 'em?

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok.

Geissele triggers do not work well with KNS products. Bill geissele has said this on many occasions. If you to purposely sabotage your build then go ahead and use the KNS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

I realize that the kns pins are totally not needed, particularly on a new build that includes giessele triggers...but I wanted them just because, installed them on two guns - have no issues whatsoever thus far with giessele sd3-c triggers.  But, now I'm having second thoughts if you can point to failures, just for my own edification.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ok.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Gotcha, thanks for the response. I was not aware that Bill said this...
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I realize that the kns pins are totally not needed, particularly on a new build that includes giessele triggers...but I wanted them just because, installed them on two guns - have no issues whatsoever thus far with giessele sd3-c triggers.  But, now I'm having second thoughts if you can point to failures, just for my own edification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Then I would ditch the Geissele and get the Spikes trigger or maybe an LMT 2-stage. Well, thats actually not would I would do personally (Id keep the Geissele), but if youre set on KNS pins then I wouldnt go against the advice of Geissele's owner......

Also, since its a mostly Spikes build, why not a Spikes NiB BCG? Not that WMD is bad.

Edit: looks like a quality build, just giving you my $.02 which is what its worth
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You bought a $200+ trigger that came with pins designed by the man that designed the trigger.

Why not use 'em?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not use 'em?

I spent $189, annnnd I wanted to use different ones?? That's one of the cool things about AR's, customization. Until it was brought to my attention that "they do not play well together".
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Check it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Check it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Check it.

Thank you for posting this (no sarcasm). This is a real answer...Looks like I'm ditching the pins.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thank you for posting this (no sarcasm). This is a real answer...Looks like I'm ditching the pins.
View Quote

No problem. Good move.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a really nice project, and I understand why you want to go this route instead of buying a complete rifle.

Now that the compliments have been made, I will join the "Ditch the KNS Pins" chorus. Many knowledgeable people consider them superfluous, and even if they are not, Geiselle specifically recommends against their use with his triggers. You're paying a considerable amount of money for a fantastic trigger, so why do something that may make the trigger pull not as good as it was designed to be.

Hope that wasn't too vague.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I spent $189, annnnd I wanted to use different ones?? That's one of the cool things about AR's, customization. Until it was brought to my attention that "they do not play well together".
View Quote
Worth a read.

And, I completely understand that, but not at the cost of replacing a superior product with one that is nothing more than a gimmick.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Back to the topic at hand- sounds like a good parts list, and it will be a fun experience. Enjoy it, OP! Be sure to post pics when Its all done.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Then I would ditch the Geissele and get the Spikes trigger or maybe an LMT 2-stage. Well, thats actually not would I would do personally (Id keep the Geissele), but if youre set on KNS pins then I wouldnt go against the advice of Geissele's owner......

Also, since its a mostly Spikes build, why not a Spikes NiB BCG? Not that WMD is bad.

Edit: looks like a quality build, just giving you my $.02 which is what its worth
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

This poster is not the builder, I am. I'm going to ditch the pins, I'm keeping this trigger!!(I actually just swapped them out lol) and I have had this BCG for quite some time from other builds and I don't want to buy another at this time. Thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Pins walking out isn't a common issue even with a stock trigger.  Almost all of the people, including myself, that have had this happen did not install the trigger springs correctly.  If you are getting them for looks go for it, but I have seen fewer builds with them and they seem to be going out of vogue.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pins walking out isn't a common issue even with a stock trigger.  Almost all of the people including myself that have had this happen did not install the trigger springs correctly.  If you are getting them for looks go for it, but I have seen fewer builds with them and they seem to be going out of vogue.
View Quote

Yes I admit, I bought them for cosmetic reasons lol. In light of them possibly hindering the trigger function they have been swapped out already. That's why I'm on this forum...always something to learn.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Back to the topic at hand- sounds like a good parts list, and it will be a fun experience. Enjoy it, OP! Be sure to post pics when Its all done.
View Quote

TY Sir!! I will post pics. Hopefully this weekend. It looks like the most tedious part is going to be lining up the GB and placing dimples in the barrel. I believe I am fully capable if doing this, I shall see lol...
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes I admit, I bought them for cosmetic reasons lol. In light of them possibly hindering the trigger function they have been swapped out already. That's why I'm on this forum...always something to learn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pins walking out isn't a common issue even with a stock trigger.  Almost all of the people including myself that have had this happen did not install the trigger springs correctly.  If you are getting them for looks go for it, but I have seen fewer builds with them and they seem to be going out of vogue.

And that is the right attitude to have OP; good for you. Too many times someone will come in here and get all butthole hurt because knowledgeable members crap on one of their ideas and the OP goes full blown retard instead of listening to reason... unlike you! That's a solid build spec sheet and don't forget to post many pics of it when she's done!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is hope.

Good job.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And that is the right attitude to have OP; good for you. Too many times someone will come in here and get all butthole hurt because knowledgeable members crap on one of their ideas and the OP goes full blown retard instead of listening to reason... unlike you! That's a solid build spec sheet and don't forget to post many pics of it when she's done!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ty sir....Hey, we all have something to learn right...I just wanted a logical reason, and this reason was provided. I will not argue when logical concise reasons are in front of me. I'm pretty happy, already looking forward to watching it all come together and learning in the process!!  Pics will come.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Check it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Check it.

Honestly, I went with kns out of ignorance, I was like "I can haz more better?"

Anyways, I suppose I should swap back giessele>colt pins?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Honestly, I went with kns out of ignorance, I was like "I can haz more better?"

Anyways, I suppose I should swap back giessele>colt pins?
View Quote

I would, yeah.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#31]
It all came together last night!! Test fire will happen on Monday.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15625075/AR%20Build/AR-1.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15625075/AR%20Build/AR-2.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15625075/AR%20Build/AR-3.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15625075/AR%20Build/AR-4.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15625075/AR%20Build/AR-5.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15625075/AR%20Build/AR-6.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15625075/AR%20Build/AR-7.JPG
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top