Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 5:47:28 PM EDT

Does anyone have any experience with Toolcraft BCGs offered by cryptic coatings? I've only heard good things about Toolcraft, but I haven't seen ANYTHING about CC. I came across one review on google, but it's written by someone who is very opinionated and ignorant. I'm only interested in the nickel boron bcd, but the copper-colored one looks interesting. Anyone own one of these?

I'll be buying a BCG for my build this upcoming week......I'll include the link to CC's storefront below.
-Andrew

Cryptic Coatings Store!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I just recieved mine last week and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed, and im not much for wonder products. I had a lengthy email conversation with the owner a decided to give one a shot. Its slick as snot and easy to clean, and the coatting is very hard. I went with mystic black. It also holds fire clean pretty well
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
They sure are pretty.  I have been trying to justify a reason to buy one

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just recieved mine last week and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed, and im not much for wonder products. I had a lengthy email conversation with the owner a decided to give one a shot. Its slick as snot and easy to clean, and the coatting is very hard. I went with mystic black. It also holds fire clean pretty well
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback! Excited to see I'm not the only person who has discovered them. I'm not into the flashy-colored ones, and I'm not too concerned with how "slick" their magical coating is. I'm just wanting a reliable bolt with a solid company that stands behind their products. And I don't like buying things from California, but that's just a personal preference. lol. I think I'm gonna try one out...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I also asked about possible embrittlement issues, there answer

"We don’t use any chemicals with any level of hydrogen atoms. That’s import as hydrogen embrittlement is the issue with many heat treatment and chemical processes. A simple answer to your question is just "no"."

review truth about guns
Link fixed please check it out!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They sure are pretty.  I have been trying to justify a reason to buy one

View Quote

Do it!
phosphate is boring and nickel boron is soooo yesterday lol imho money I spent well for once
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I also asked about possible embrittlement issues, there answer

"We don’t use any chemicals with any level of hydrogen atoms. That’s import as hydrogen embrittlement is the issue with many heat treatment and chemical processes. A simple answer to your question is just "no"."

review truth about guns
Link fixed please check it out!
View Quote

Thank you for fixing! <3
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Neat concept. I am curious as to:

-Thickness of coating?
-Were the BCG's made with this tolerance in mind, specifically for CC's coating?
-Would love to see a cam-pin with some rounds on it to assess "wear". I know my QPQ cam-pins wore exceptionally slowly. The CC coating looks to do the same based on that one link.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#8]
No thanks. I don't fall for the whole marketing hype of coating BCGs in fancy coatings. My standard phosphate BCM works just fine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Neat concept. I am curious as to:

-Thickness of coating?
-Were the BCG's made with this tolerance in mind, specifically for CC's coating?
-Would love to see a cam-pin with some rounds on it to assess "wear". I know my QPQ cam-pins wore exceptionally slowly. The CC coating looks to do the same based on that one link.
View Quote

2 to 3 microns
Heres a chart of all there coatings on there site
chart
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't see anything bad about it at all. Keeping my eye on this one!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can't see anything bad about it at all. Keeping my eye on this one!
View Quote

Right on
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL at the 450.00 titanium bcg.....I'll stick with BCM.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LOL at the 450.00 titanium bcg.....I'll stick with BCM.
View Quote

That's not meant to compete with BCM. It's a "game gun" BCG meant for tuning in conjunction with a super light buffer and adj. gas block. It also looks killer well made! Your BCM would suck for that application, and it would suck for what you use your BCM BCG for. Total apples/oranges. Like trying to race a Dodge 2500 at the Indy500, or mudride an indy car.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I installed one--a keyed carrier--in my Mega-based 308 and have a full BCG incoming for a AR15 build, both mystic black.  I will get out of the way the part that they aren't cheap, and that a lubed, standard BCG will function just fine for less.  

But I like trying new things, and I'm OK spending the extra money for that end.  I have BCGs in phosphorous, chrome, NiB, and now Mystic Black...  While none of my rifles are safe queens, I'm not likely to push anyone of them to an extreme that will test just how good/ better/ meh the coated BCGs are.

That said... Quality seems quite good.  The finish is very smooth, and charging the rifle was noticeably smoother with the CC carrier vs that original phosphorous one.  Cleanup is quicker, though I'm waiting for the 5.56 bcg for a high round test run.  That is a tougher proposition with the 308.  

And to top it all off, I have had helpful and informative email exchanges with Gary, CC's POC, and received a handwritten thank you card from them.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#15]
smoother recoil, faster cyclic rate, reduced carbon fouling.

I had no idea a coating could do so much
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I installed one--a keyed carrier--in my Mega-based 308 and have a full BCG incoming for a AR15 build, both mystic black.  I will get out of the way the part that they aren't cheap, and that a lubed, standard BCG will function just fine for less.  

But I like trying new things, and I'm OK spending the extra money for that end.  I have BCGs in phosphorous, chrome, NiB, and now Mystic Black...  While none of my rifles are safe queens, I'm not likely to push anyone of them to an extreme that will test just how good/ better/ meh the coated BCGs are.

That said... Quality seems quite good.  The finish is very smooth, and charging the rifle was noticeably smoother with the CC carrier vs that original phosphorous one.  Cleanup is quicker, though I'm waiting for the 5.56 bcg for a high round test run.  That is a tougher proposition with the 308.  

And to top it all off, I have had helpful and informative email exchanges with Gary, CC's POC, and received a handwritten thank you card from them.  
View Quote
The BC has only four relatively small bearing surfaces, rails under the key, and the bottom corner of the front half. It's doubtful you could feel a difference, and even so, after 200 rounds when the surfaces burnished you could not.

Your other logic is sound though, and the coating do look neat.

However, they do not offer ME any advantage over cosmetics so I will just look at pics of them in other's rifles
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The BC has only four relatively small bearing surfaces, rails under the key, and the bottom corner of the front half. It's doubtful you could feel a difference, and even so, after 200 rounds when the surfaces burnished you could not.  

However, they do not offer ME any advantage over cosmetics so I will just look at pics of them in other's rifles
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already have all phosphate and sometimes its cool to try somthin different, the major thing I like about it is the cleaning lol
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#18]
This is not General Discussion.  Don't post nonsense, please. - Old_Painless

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I already have all phosphate and sometimes its cool to try somthin different, the major thing I like about it is the cleaning lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Understood! I have a few hobbies so spending money on how a gun looks is usually not high on my list. I do think the copper colored one is pretty neat looking though!

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

How is this not general discussion? A question about a BCG is about as general as it gets.....

That coper colored one is pretty neat!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How is this not general discussion? A question about a BCG is about as general as it gets.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He means no posts with silly memes, like the one you posted. Tech forum has a standard to keep the threads from turning into shit shows.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He means no posts with silly memes, like the one you posted. Tech forum has a standard to keep the threads from turning into shit shows.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My fault guys sorry lol
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My fault guys sorry lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My fault guys sorry lol

No prob. Post up some pics and review of that fancy BCG when you can!

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#25]
It also looks killer well made! Your BCM would suck for that application, and it would suck for what you use your BCM BCG for
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It also looks killer well made! Your BCM would suck for that application, and it would suck for what you use your BCM BCG forhttp://goo.gl/FD5Gqx
View Quote

Well they have a mil spec option and titanium option. I got the mil spec with the black coating. Just waiting on the barrel and muzzle device for this build and then to run it into the ground. I will keep round count and post a review.

" />
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Dupe
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Holy dupes sorry
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#29]
One of my pet peeves is bolt carrier manufacturers advertising "Grade 8 Socket Head Cap Screws"!

If they are indeed using them they are in all probability cheap "off shore" manufactured. Since around 1991 the standard for U.S. manufactured Socket Head Cap Screws is ASTM A574 which is STRONGER than the old Grade 8 standard.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One of my pet peeves is bolt carrier manufacturers advertising "Grade 8 Socket Head Cap Screws"!

If they are indeed using them they are in all probability cheap "off shore" manufactured. Since around 1991 the standard for U.S. manufactured Socket Head Cap Screws is ASTM A574 which is STRONGER than the old Grade 8 standard.
View Quote

I'm not sure where to find that specific information without sending a few emails, but it's a possibility the material is cited here in the USA. Toolcraft has filled a few DoD contracts for BCGs. And while I am in the military, I'm not 100% sure how all that works. I'm assuming all the material is cited here to fulfill military contracts....
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#31]
That's a good question. We sincerely believe we are using the highest quality US made bolt available. We will do our best to follow our supplier back to the source and get to everyone on this.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#32]
There are no tolerance changes needed to the manufacture specification for  the Mystic Coatings. There are allowances made for NiB coating.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I sent an e-mail to Cryptic on Sunday afternoon asking some questions on the bolt carrier. I had a reply in 20 minutes with attached photos. Most impressed with that turnaround on a Sunday.
I ordered a 308 carrier group in NiB yesterday, should be here tomorrow. I'll post my thoughts when I get it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought a Tool Craft bolt from Cryptic Coatings to complete a BCG I had laying around.  I was very surprised at the quality as it is VERY nice.  (noob analysis)  It is just a standard bolt with no special finishes.  Their specifications are solid and under a magnifying glass it shows.  I will say, it made enough impression on me that I will be trying one of their complete BCG's if I need a replacement or start a new build...

http://www.crypticcoatings.com/bolt-assembly-complete/
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I sent an e-mail to Cryptic on Sunday afternoon asking some questions on the bolt carrier. I had a reply in 20 minutes with attached photos. Most impressed with that turnaround on a Sunday.
I ordered a 308 carrier group in NiB yesterday, should be here tomorrow. I'll post my thoughts when I get it.
View Quote

I received the carrier today The coating is mirror like with almost no machining marks. Looks great and for $210 a great deal.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd certainly try a "used" complete BCG in "Mystic Bronze" as that "looks" sexy as fuck for about $150 but... I'm not paying $235 for any BCG on the planet, not even a Titanium BoomFab my brotha!
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I received the carrier today The coating is mirror like with almost no machining marks. Looks great and for $210 a great deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That didn't include the bolt too? Or for even a little more? What finish did you choose?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Really liking the copper finished carrier.
Does the tail of the bolt clean up pretty easily?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#39]
They have a lot of fancy science speak about the BCG coatings on their website. I want to see what it looks like after a thousand rounds. The perfect multiple colors screams red flag to me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They have a lot of fancy science speak about the BCG coatings on their website. I want to see what it looks like after a thousand rounds. The perfect multiple colors screams red flag to me.
View Quote

I'm running one in my 14.5" .308 with a can. It cleans up with a paper towel and after a couple thousand rounds it looks like new.

It is honestly the best BCG I own as far as fit and finish go.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm running one in my 14.5" .308 with a can. It cleans up with a paper towel and after a couple thousand rounds it looks like new.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post pics and rifle specs please.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That didn't include the bolt too? Or for even a little more? What finish did you choose?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$210 for a complete bolt carrier group.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that IS a little more tempting at that price. I tried ordering a .223/5/56 in the Mystic Bronze finish and the price was $235. Maybe I cab pick one up on the EE for less than $200... It would look sweet in my new MEGA build and the current NB BCG could go in one of my back up Spikes builds.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll get some pics up tomorrow. I went shooting today and will get some before and after pics. The bolt is pretty dirty because of my can.

When I got the mail today I recieved a hand written thank you note from Cryptic. I thought that was nice.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who uses those?  Even BCM uses the Grade 8 (albeit domestic)....I"m not saying it with a "tone" either.  I'm genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Who uses those?  Even BCM uses the Grade 8 (albeit domestic)....I"m not saying it with a "tone" either.  I'm genuinely curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do a search among reputable U.S. suppliers for socket head cap screws and see if ANY of them list "Grade 8". I bet you only find ASTM A574.

I guess what I'm getting at is we are so ingrained that "Grade 8" is the end all, be all that the carrier retailers state GRADE 8 because they think we will buy Grade 8 but we wouldn't if they listed ASTM A574 even though ASTM A574 is STRONGER!
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Got my complete BCG early this week. This thing makes me a happy camper, for sure.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Do a search among reputable U.S. suppliers for socket head cap screws and see if ANY of them list "Grade 8". I bet you only find ASTM A574.

I guess what I'm getting at is we are so ingrained that "Grade 8" is the end all, be all that the carrier retailers state GRADE 8 because they think we will buy Grade 8 but we wouldn't if they listed ASTM A574 even though ASTM A574 is STRONGER!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toolcraft has a DOD replacement contract.  I highly doubt they're using cheap materials.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top