Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2014 2:19:25 PM EDT
Didn't  know where else to post this, didn't think it belonged in GD. Just need a little help. Two weeks ago I put an LE6940 on layaway, but since then I started looking hard at a DD M4V5. I know there are differences but there's only a couple of hundred dollar difference, LE is $1k and DD $1200. The cost is not the issue, what I want to know is there enough difference in the two to make a difference. I've shot some LE's but not the DD. I'm not looking to make many changes . I do know your limited to what you can do with the LE and maybe through my ignorance the changes I make to a DD would be small, I would think triggers on both. I'm giving my daughter my Oracle and keeping a Sig. Being both, the LE and DD, are fine rifles I just won't to hear from people that own or have owned both and give me your opinion. Simple answers are fine. NO pissing
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Both very well made with high quality parts and both stand behind their products. With the DD you're paying a little extra for the rail system. My first and only AR platform is a DDM4v5 so I don't have any comparison analysis but I cant say enough good things about the v5. One thing you'll have to consider is the v5 does not come with sights which would be an additional cost to your $1200 price tag
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were me, and you plan to make minimal changes either way... I'd sell the Oracle and the SIG, then buy two Colt's. That way, you and your kiddo would both have rifles of equal (very good) quality, and no odd-balls that would likely spend most of their time in the safe anyway considering your new purchase.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it were me, and you plan to make minimal changes either way... I'd sell the Oracle and the SIG, then buy two Colt's. That way, you and your kiddo would both have rifles of equal (very good) quality, and no odd-balls that would likely spend most of their time in the safe anyway considering your new purchase.
View Quote

Does this mean you're a colt man all the way? But your prob right.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
$1k for a 6940 that's a great price grab it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The barrel and handguard alone make the DD well worth the additional $200.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Um hm kinda what I thought. But I don't know if there is a wrong choice, so far, I don't see one. I place the DD on a higher level, but when I can get the LE for that kind of money, idk.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The barrel and handguard alone make the DD well worth the additional $200.
View Quote

See there? That's definitely an influence . yes it is
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd spend the extra cash and pick up the DD.....it's a better rifle.
Is the Colt a bad rifle? No,.....the DD is just better.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]
See that's really the deal, the LE is a great buy for a good rifle, but the DD is a great rifle for a great price.. Again, is there really a bad choice, I don't think so. I'd really like to have them both. Nothing will be a safe queen, don't care about frufru.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Better rail, lighter, you can swap the rail out later if you want, mid length gas system, better stovk furniture.  I wouldn't even consider the 6940 because of the antiquated monolithic rail (not a good thing).  That model should go the way of the dodo bird, Colt 6720 at like $800 would be a nice option though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like you know the DD is a superior rifle, and the extra $200 won't make or break you - the choice seems pretty clear to me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It sounds like you know the DD is a superior rifle, and the extra $200 won't make or break you - the choice seems pretty clear to me.
View Quote

You SO right
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats what I'm thinking. You seem to like the DD quite a bit just from your posts.

The 6920's have been $850ish lately. You could always take what you would have spent on the DD and sell the Oracle and buy two 6920s, giving you the ability to keep one in new safe queen condition for the kiddos and use/abuse the other.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely not. I'm not even really an AR guy. I have however, owned an LE6920 and have no doubt that Colt makes a very good rifle for the price. I also don't doubt that DD makes a better rifle than the Colt. The point of my post was to say that I believe both rifles to be better than the Oracle or the SIG, and that if cost was a consideration... I'd split the difference by selling the two lesser rifles and buy two Colt's so that the OP and his daughter each have a rifle of very good quality. I'd rather have 2 very good rifles, than 1 outstanding rifle and 2 mediocre ones.
 For what its worth... I don't even own a Colt anymore.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#15]
All of ya'll have made great points which I appreciate, I've kind of had that feeling in the back of my mind to think about the 6920 and 6720 , to not go with the 6940. I know it has no bearing regarding the DD. It was a toss up of the three colts prior to my interest in the DD. I know vanilla is boring but damnit, so many decisions. Lot's of food for thought. I've brought up my Oracle to my BIL, we fixing to go outside and shoot the hell out of it. We'll see.thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#16]
BTW, I do know PSA has the 6720 for $800. Or at least they did
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#17]
cone

coner

conest
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 6940 and bought it because of the monolithic upper. I wanted a rifle as indestructable as possible that i could afford . It is very accurate  with alot of different ammo . the down side it is heavy , you cant play barbie and dress it up and the factory trigger sucks but is usable . I wouldnt get rid of it for anything . I have no doubt the daniel defense is a great rifle . I never owned or shot one but the reviews are hard to ignore . the question is can you live with the colt as is or will you want to be able to change the handguards and the likes ?  I love my colt but wont dis the D.D. either .
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I own both. I would take the DD any day, all day. Regardless of money. Just sayin......
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#21]
As far as the Colts, I would rank them:

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#22]
They are both quality guns, pick which ever feels more "right" to you.
I have both and wouldn't consider one better than the other.  I like the monolithic rail of the 6940 though.
Colt has its military legacy and DD has its superior customer service.
All company's make lemons here and there...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I own both. I would take the DD any day, all day. Regardless of money. Just sayin......
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think this.

Quoted:

Hard to argue with this.

No wrong choice, just maybe a better one...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Dupe
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

In your professional opinion, what makes the DD a "better" rifle?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I have also owned both. I still own the DD. I have built my last 5 instead of buy, but they all have DD LW barrels except for one WOA SPR.
The DD rifle is:
- lighter
- has QD attachment points
- a more ergonomic longer rail IMO
- midlength gas
- better stock IMO
- comes with VFG if you use one
- plastic hard case
- CHF barrel
- and EXCELLENT Customer service.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The DD barrel is CHF. The DD barrel is a 16" mid - not a 16" carbine. The DD barrel is more accurate. The DD handguard is lighter and longer.

Handguard aside. The DD barrel itself is worth the added cost of admission.

And if fit and finish matter to you, well, we know which rifle will come out on top there as well.

DD customer service is also second to none.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The DD barrel is CHF. The DD barrel is a 16" mid - not a 16" carbine. The DD barrel is more accurate. The DD handguard is lighter and longer.

And if fit and finish matter to you, well, we know which rifle will come out on top there as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of this is personal preference and does not make it "better" in any fashion.  
The long handguard is negative in my opinion, but that's just my opinion and what I like.
The barrels are the same in the accuracy department, my DD and Colts shoot identical groups..and I have many of them.  If you notice a difference than your a better shooter than anyone I know.
The mid length gas system has zero relevance to anything.  "They say" the mid length gas system is supposed to be easier on the action, but I have yet to break anything in any of them.  Nor has anyone else in my community.

I will definitely give a nod to DD customer service, I've had to use it a few times and they are pretty fast and helpful.
This is the only area I find them "better" though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Lot's of great feedback, best thing I could do IS find a way to get them both. More than likely at that point , still keeping the Sig and saying goodbye to the Oracle. I do believe that if the time comes that they have to be relied on, I prob won't be saying I wish I had one of the others. My daughter can claim any of them, don't matter to me for they stay at my house. She's at college, she comes home they're ready. I love shooting with her, and she can shoot. I've been shooting fro 50 years, her about 2 years. She has the knack, unmistakably.Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A lot of this is personal preference and does not make it "better" in any fashion.  
The long handguard is negative in my opinion, but that's just my opinion and what I like.
The barrels are the same in the accuracy department, my DD and Colts shoot identical groups..and I have many of them.  If you notice a difference than your a better shooter than anyone I know.
The mid length gas system has zero relevance to anything.  "They say" the mid length gas system is supposed to be easier on the action, but I have yet to break anything in any of them.  Nor has anyone else in my community.

I will definitely give a nod to DD customer service, I've had to use it a few times and they are pretty fast and helpful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't the 6940 have a proprietary barrel and barrel extension?

That alone right there is a quantifiable negative.  Main reason I'd never own one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]
If you think one is significantly "better" than the other, you are fooling yourself.

They are both great rifles and either would serve you well.

I'm not a huge fan of the Colt 6940 (although most report that they are very accurate).  If I were looking at Colts, I would log on to PSA and get myself a 6720 with free shipping for $799.  I'd order a BCM KMR rail, and you would have an outstanding light weight carbine at a phenomenal price.

If were looking at DD's, the V5 would not be my choice.  I would likely get one with their new Keymod rail system (assuming that it is of similar weight and profile to offerings like the KMR).  

The point is that they are both great guns, and the differences are mainly personal preference items.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#33]
M4A1, I wouldn't put a Colt and DD even in the same ballpark in the accuracy department.

I've owned factory rifles from DD, Colt, BCM, KAC, Noveske, Spikes and LMT. The DD barrels been by the far the most accurate non SS barrels I've yet to encounter.

And I'm far from alone in that conclusion. I have buddies who refer to DD barrels as CHF match barrels. Frankly, I've long sold all my SS barrels, and will never own another. They give me a negligible increase in accuracy over DD barrels at the cost of additional weight, much shorter barrel life, and they can't take the cleaning/elements abuse that DD CHF barrels can either.

To each their own, but I personally wouldn't put a Colt barrel in the same sentence as a DD barrel.

And I guess you're one of the guys who finds most of the mid gas benefits as "hypothetical," but I'll add that from a dwell time perspective, mid is ideal for a 16" barrel.

I find 16" carbines to be a hot, overgassed mess. There's a reason why so many people are running Sprinco Red springs and H3 buffers in their 16" Colts just to get them in the same ballpark as a 16" mid with just a standard carbine spring and an H buffer.

If less muzzle rise and a smoother recoil impulse don't matter to you either, then once again, to each their own.

Though I also don't find the benefits in less parts wear from mid gas, and the added durability of CHF to be hypothetical either. So, for me, there's worlds of difference between a DD and Colt barrel from accuracy, durability, parts wear, recoil impulse, etc.

I've said my piece.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That alone right there is a quantifiable negative.  Main reason I'd never own one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they do, but why would that mean anything?
If you need to replace your 6940 barrel you order a new one from SAW.  If you need to replace your DD barrel you order one from DD.
Just trying to understand why that be a deciding factor that's all....
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#35]
OP: Flip a coin or you already know which one you like over the other before you asked the question. They are both fine ARs. Most items on ARs are disposable items once they break anyway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
M4A1, I wouldn't put a Colt and DD even in the same ballpark in the accuracy department.

I've owned factory rifles from DD, Colt, BCM, KAC, Noveske, Spikes and LMT. The DD barrels been by the far the most accurate non SS barrels I've yet to encounter.

And I'm far from alone in that conclusion. I have buddies who refer to DD barrels as CHF match barrels. Frankly, I've long sold all my SS barrels, and will never own another. They give me a negligible increase in accuracy over DD barrels at the cost of additional weight, much shorter barrel life, and they can't take the cleaning/elements abuse that DD CHF barrels can either.

To each their own, but I personally wouldn't put a Colt barrel in the same sentence as a DD barrel.

And I guess you're one of the guys who finds most of the mid gas benefits as "hypothetical," but I'll add that from a dwell time perspective, mid is ideal for a 16" barrel.

I find 16" carbines to be a hot, overgassed mess. There's a reason why so many people are running Sprinco Red springs and H3 buffers in their 16" Colts just to get them in the same ballpark as a 16" mid with just a standard carbine spring and an H buffer.

If less muzzle rise and a smoother recoil impulse don't matter to you either, then once again, to each their own.

Though I also don't find the benefits in less parts wear from mid gas, and the added durability of CHF to be hypothetical either. So, for me, there's worlds of difference between a DD and Colt barrel from accuracy, durability, parts wear, recoil impulse, etc.

I've said my piece.
View Quote

Hmmm interesting.  I know the dwell time looks good on paper with the mid length, but I don't see a difference.  Not even felt recoil.
Of a the brands I own (Colt, FN, DD, LMT and Noveske). The only one that has outperformed in the accuracy department is the Noveske.  The rest have been on par with eachother.  But YMMV
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you need to replace your 6940 barrel you order a new one from SAW.  If you need to replace your DD barrel you order one from DD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just looked on SAW and couldn't find the replacement barrel.  Only thing I found on Google was a reference to SAW at some point in time carrying them but they cost $850.  Of course this was on a forum so who knows what the validity of that post was.

For me, I'm against anything proprietary on such a modular system unless it offers a measurable gain when compared to standardized parts.  The KAC E3 bolt is one due to the reported increased life span of it.

What does a 6940 add to the equation when compared to a standardized AR other than shortening your list of options should you want to upgrade it or replace parts?

ETA:  Also, when I want to replace my DD barrel, I order one from a list of 20+ retailers where I can shop for the best price and I'm almost guaranteed to find one in stock.  The 6940?  Your stuck with possibly 1 retailer or going direct with the manufacturer.  

Of course this may not be an issue for you, I'm just conveying why it prevents me from buying one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I just looked on SAW and couldn't find the replacement barrel.  Only thing I found on Google was a reference to SAW at some point in time carrying them but they cost $850.  Of course this was on a forum so who knows what the validity of that post was.

For me, I'm against anything proprietary on such a modular system unless it offers a measurable gain when compared to standardized parts.  The KAC E3 bolt is one due to the reported increased life span of it.

What does a 6940 add to the equation when compared to a standardized AR other than shortening your list of options should you want to upgrade it or replace parts?

ETA:  Also, when I want to replace my DD barrel, I order one from a list of 20+ retailers where I can shop for the best price and I'm almost guaranteed to find one in stock.  The 6940?  Your stuck with possibly 1 retailer or going direct with the manufacturer.  

Of course this may not be an issue for you, I'm just conveying why it prevents me from buying one.
View Quote

That's usually around the cost for the complete upper:  http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LE6940CK
You can buy Colt from Colt, SAW, G&R tactical, Brownell's and a few others..
The 6940 offers a robust, once piece free float rail system kind of like LMT's MRP.
Is it noticeably better? Probably not.
Just trying to give OP an objective outlook.  He can't go wrong with either if the choice is between Colt and DD.  
As you know, there are too many people on this forum that are quick to call something "the best" just because that's what they own.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There are many items that SAW has that are not actually on the website.  You just have to call or email Ken Elmore, he can get you anything Colt related.
The 6940 offers a robust, once piece free float rail system kind of like LMT's MRP.
Just trying to give OP an objective outlook.  He can't go wrong with either if the choice is between Colt and DD.  
As you know, there are too many people on this forum that quick to call something "the best" just because that's what they own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many items that SAW has that are not actually on the website.  You just have to call or email Ken Elmore, he can get you anything Colt related.
As you know, there are too many people on this forum that quick to call something "the best" just because that's what they own.

I completely agree.  Either will be a fine rifle that'll provide years of service.  I just like to point out potential downsides to any purchase questions as a large majority of modern rifle manufacturers put out quality products.

I'll also agree that there is a lot of brand loyalty here.  Hell, all I own are home builds.  One has a DD barrel, 2 have a PSA barrel, and another has a BCM barrel.  You won't find any favoritism from me unless it is overwhelmingly earned.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#40]
OP I know this gun is off topic, but if you could pull off the CQB version of the 6940......The 6945

^^ Pic belongs to Predator
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You SO right
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You SO right

Seems like you want a pissing match.  

Get the DD.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#42]
DD strictly for the fact that its a midlength gas system that is worth $200 to me alone.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:49:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Hmmm interesting.  I know the dwell time looks good on pape r with the mid length, but I don't see a difference.  Not even felt recoil.
Of a the brands I own (Colt, FN, DD, LMT and Noveske). The only one that has outperformed in the accuracy department is the Noveske.  The rest have been on par with eachother.  But YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've said my piece.

Hmmm interesting.  I know the dwell time looks good on pape r with the mid length, but I don't see a difference.  Not even felt recoil.

I've found Colt barrels to be less accurate than other brands.  Just my experience.  That's not to say I think they are bad quality.  I have just had better luck with other brands as far as accuracy goes.  But just to be fair, the Colt barrels were govt profile and SOME of the other barrels that I found to be more accurate are HBAR SS barrels.  So it might be a bit skewed.  But I also had an A1 upper SAK barrel that was very accurate.  So....

Plus, no way do I think a carbine shoots as soft as a middy or rifle for that matter.  That's just a given for me.  But YMMV.  

So my vote goes for the DD.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The barrel, and the individuals  assembling the DD.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You on the Colt Koolaid?  What gives you the idea they are the gold standard?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#46]
If you can, I would try to buy both the DD and Colt.  That way you would have both a carbine and mid length gas system AR's.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's usually around the cost for the complete upper:  http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LE6940CK
As you know, there are too many people on this forum that are quick to call something "the best" just because that's what they own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The question is what makes one rifle better than the other.  Spicificly what makes the DD better than the Colt.

1.  No proprietary parts.  The Colt has a proprietary gas system.  Big downer.  
2.  The DD has a modular handguard so you can remove it or change it at will.  Where as the Colt has the monolithic upper receiver.  Other companies do have the same thing LWRC, LMT for example.  
3.  DD have a CHF barrel.  Extra longevity.
4.  The DD is not made by a union.

those things right there justify the cost of the $200 difference.

Is the rifle "better", no,  thats a preference.  Is the DD a better value, yes, By far.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read my other posts.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#49]
DD has the (eta: better)float tube and the CHF barrel. I think it's a $200 worthy upgrade if you have the money. I have a Colt and no DD.

ETA 2: parts are the same besides those mentioned and one barrel isn't necessarily more accurate than the other, despite what you read in this post. :P Nor will 1 barrel necessarily last longer than the other. On average, theoretically, a CHF barrel should last longer than a standard barrel. This isn't always the case and I have yet to see anyone actually test it with results. Mid length gas would also be a plus to me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top