Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2014 5:44:09 PM EDT

Just finished my first AR last night!
I built the lower from parts, I wanted to build the upper as well but I didn't have the funds to buy the tools and ammo, so the ammo won out. I also don't currently have access to a vice.

I was originally going to replace the hand guard and front sights with a free floating one with a rail to attach a folding front sight. But looking at it finished. I dont think I can change it. Haha
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave it.  Nice and simple, looks excellent!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks great.  You should move your rear sight further back.  Where's the upper from?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice - Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks great.  You should move your rear sight further back.  Where's the upper from?
View Quote

Ok, the sight had just shown up in the mail so I put it on real fast for the pic. Thinking about saving up for some type of red dot sight anyways. I Can't wait to shoot it.

The upper is a spikes tactical 16" mid-length. I got it from aim surplus.
Hope it fires as good as it looks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Leave it.  Nice and simple, looks excellent!
View Quote

Even my fiancé said it's a good looking gun, and she isn't in to them.
It's a beautiful thing. Haha
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that you've built one, there will be more.  Nice looking AR.

I had Black Rifle Disease (BRD) for awhile and built all the ARs I'll ever need as well as building them for relatives (neat way for them to learn how to do it themselves so they can build more if they want).  I built A2 flat tops, 24" bull barrel varmint rifles, 16" carbines in .223 and .300 black out, etc.

Then of course you have to buy magazines, ammo, spare parts and maybe optics, depending on what your intent is for the builds.

I have  2.5X10 on my vARmint rifle, a 3X9 with BDC on one flat top A2, SUITs on two of the carbines, an AimPoint on one, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice, shoot the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks pretty good.  What type trigger did you choose?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Now that you've built one, there will be more.  Nice looking AR.

I had Black Rifle Disease (BRD) for awhile and built all the ARs I'll ever need as well as building them for relatives (neat way for them to learn how to do it themselves so they can build more if they want).  I built A2 flat tops, 24" bull barrel varmint rifles, 16" carbines in .223 and .300 black out, etc.

Then of course you have to buy magazines, ammo, spare parts and maybe optics, depending on what your intent is for the builds.

I have  2.5X10 on my vARmint rifle, a 3X9 with BDC on one flat top A2, SUITs on two of the carbines, an AimPoint on one, etc.
View Quote

Oh I plan too. Next one in saving up for I want to have a 24" barrel and a really nice scope. For some long range play. That will be another learning experience.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks pretty good.  What type trigger did you choose?
View Quote

I used a "ALG Defense Quality Mil Spec Trigger-QMS-Tuned By Geissele"
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm glad your first experience with assembling an AR was a success.
don't be afraid to face the next challenge head on.
range report mandatory.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used a few alg triggers, much better than mil spec.  what is that lower? i dont recognize that rollmark.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Good job, OP.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've used a few alg triggers, much better than mil spec.  what is that lower? i dont recognize that rollmark.
View Quote

It is SNS industries. A company based out of Skagit county in Washington. Seems to be really good quality.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome to HELL!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Welcome to HELL!
View Quote

Because I won't be able to help but keep buying more parts and building more guns? Lol. I already have my next plan idea. Just need to know what parts I want and save up the money.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice 16in. middy. Toss an Aimpoint with a QD mount in front of that BUIS, and call it a day.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice 16in. middy. Toss an Aimpoint with a QD mount in front of that BUIS, and call it a day.
View Quote

Yea, that's my next step before I start another build. I want to find some sort of good quality optic for this. That's one thing I know nothing about.
Time for more reading. Haha
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#19]
a good beginner red dot can be had by visiting Primary Arms.  Great optics for great prices.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Fix rear sight and shoot.  Looks good.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fix rear sight and shoot.  Looks good.
View Quote

Will do as soon as I get home. This whole build has been a huge learning event.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is SNS industries. A company based out of Skagit county in Washington. Seems to be really good quality.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks good.

(I believe) SNS lowers were made by Mega, so they are definitely quality. I have one myself.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks pretty similar to mine. I just finished my first a few weeks ago and did a 16" mid length too but, went the OD green route for my MOE stuff. If you don't like that grip (I hate them) and are thinking about swapping it out for an MOE one, I'd recommend getting the MOE +. It's only a couple of dollars more than the standard MOE and has a rubber coating. Of course, if you like the one you have, that's works too. I'm going to be putting an optic of some sort on mine in the future too but, I decided I was going to put at least 1K rounds through it first. The money the optic will cost is just much more enjoyable spent on ammo.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks pretty similar to mine. I just finished my first a few weeks ago and did a 16" mid length too but, went the OD green route for my MOE stuff. If you don't like that grip (I hate them) and are thinking about swapping it out for an MOE one, I'd recommend getting the MOE +. It's only a couple of dollars more than the standard MOE and has a rubber coating. Of course, if you like the one you have, that's works too. I'm going to be putting an optic of some sort on mine in the future too but, I decided I was going to put at least 1K rounds through it first. The money the optic will cost is just much more enjoyable spent on ammo.
View Quote

I think it would be worth getting a better grip. $25 something plus shipping isn't too bad.
For some reason it didn't even occur to me to get anything other than black for my rifle until I saw the OD green mag I bought. Now I wish I had gotten it that color lol. Not a major loss.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Looks good.

(I believe) SNS lowers were made by Mega, so they are definitely quality. I have one myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks good.

I'll definetly be going back to them when I start my next build.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think it would be worth getting a better grip. $25 something plus shipping isn't too bad.
For some reason it didn't even occur to me to get anything other than black for my rifle until I saw the OD green mag I bought. Now I wish I had gotten it that color lol. Not a major loss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it looks good. I'm sure you'll have future build that you can make different colors if you want. Nothing wrong with the classic black though. It has it's benefits too. If you want to buy a grip from a company other than magpul, it's going to match better than if I go out and buy a different brand of OD for mine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd suggest looking into my recently found favorite, a BCM GUNFIGHTER Mod 3. Can be had from AIM for $18 shipped.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:32:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Now go shoot the hell out of it
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice! May grab a Magpul STR?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice! May grab a Magpul STR?
View Quote

Is that one you like more? I actually bought that MOE by itself for this build.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#31]
that's a pretty nice set up

how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Good job Op.  It's great for your first build.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#33]
looks snazy....just wait till you look around more see pictures and be like...hey! i like that lets free float it..then its a different charging handle...then a different optic...then a different sling plate, light setup etc...and you look at your now 1800$ rile, and see a plain jane one and shoulder it and say hey ill build a regular A4 setup i like that...and the process begins again....your so screwed haha!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top