Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2014 8:15:02 PM EDT
What I would like to do is introduce a little "creep" into the beginning of the second stage, so I can actually bring the sear contact right to the edge, for a better prediction of when the sear will break.

If you place your trigger finger at the very tip of the trigger (as low as you can place it) and squeeze slowly, you can actually feel a bit of creep before the hammer falls. (at least on mine anyway)

But that is very difficult and inconsistent to feel with your finger placed in the middle of the trigger curve.

I like that "take-up"  feel, and was able to adjust my excellent Jewell trigger in such a way that I could feel a tiny bit of 2nd stage creep before "let-off". (had to, the damn thing doubled a few times due to trigger bump)

I also had set the Jewell trigger "first stage" pull to a lighter setting than the Geissele.

Unfortunately the tip of the trigger digging into my index finger on the Geissele gets irritating after a while.

I sent an e-mail to Geissele and they told me that the trigger spring on the SSA-E was the lightest they made.

Had to swap out the Jewell for the Geissele because the lighter hammer spring on the Jewell would not work with my CMMG .22LR upper, and is a rather proprietary looking piece.

Anyone tried a lighter JP type trigger spring on their Geissele SSA-E?

Not even sure how it would work out, but I would like to try it and I really don't think bending the factory Geissele trigger spring is a good idea.

This is my informal target/plinking AR-15.

Any thoughts or experience?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no clue but, if it turns out that you can't, you may be able to swap it with someone on here who bought a SD-E and doesn't like the flat trigger. That might make it a bit more comfortable to run your finger all the way out at the end. It would be cheaper than stepping up to an adjustable and may accomplish what you are looking for.

edit: That's a good looking rig you've got there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but maybe you should get some time in with a good 6lb GI trigger and get used to that.  Wanting to lighten up an SSA-E makes me wonder a little bit.  If it is a match gun maybe buy a more uppity Geissele?  But for target-plinking I am thinking an SSA-E is a mighty fine trigger.   I find it really hard to gripe about any of my Geissele's, each for its intended purpose.  My target plinking guns have ACT and QMS and my benchrest or hunting Geissele's are SSA-E.  Your money your choice though.

We all like different things, so good luck finding what you want.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I used JP reliability springs on my SSA and G2S triggers and it dropped the weight by about a pound.  You could try the yellow springs and see what that produces.  Only issue i could see is  light strikes and the fact that Geiselle doesn't recommend the use of their triggers on 22 conversion kits.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used JP reliability springs on my SSA and G2S triggers and it dropped the weight by about a pound.  You could try the yellow springs and see what that produces.  Only issue i could see is  light strikes and the fact that Geiselle doesn't recommend the use of their triggers on 22 conversion kits.
View Quote

Thanks for the comments so far everyone.

Didn't know Geissele doesn't recommend the use of their trigger for .22LR conversions/uppers, but I have put approx. 700 rounds through mine so far without issue.

The Jewell didn't work well at all. (even with the .22 firing pin return spring removed)

Went to the rimfire section on this forum and found a list of triggers that worked with the .22 units, and Geissele was among those that worked.

The yellow spring is what I was thinking also, and I doubt that light strikes would be a problem due to the fact that the full power hammer spring would still be used.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Didn't know Geissele doesn't recommend the use of their trigger for .22LR conversions/uppers, but I have put approx. 700 rounds through mine so far without issue.

The Jewell didn't work well at all. (even with the .22 firing pin return spring removed)

Went to the rimfire section on this forum and found a list of triggers that worked with the .22 units, and Geissele was among those that worked.

The yellow trigger spring is what I was thinking also, and I doubt that light strikes would be a problem due to the fact that the full power hammer spring would still be used.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The yellow trigger spring is what I was thinking also, and I doubt that light strikes would be a problem due to the fact that the full power hammer spring would still be used.

ETA: uh oh.

Maybe the JP yellow spring isn't the way to go after all.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/657477_Geissele_Trigger_on__22LR_AR.html

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to put your finger at the very bottom of the trigger, sell your SSA-E and buy an SD-E. I have two and need a third, love them.

Beyond that, it's Geissele...leave it alone.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you want to put your finger at the very bottom of the trigger, sell your SSA-E and buy an SD-E. I have two and need a third, love them.

View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#8]
SSA and SSA-e are not adjustable

Geissele makes adjustable triggers. What about the national match?

for .22's if its a 10/22 Kidd is the man
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
+1  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  

+2
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want an adjustable trigger, get the Geissele Hi-speed NM.

The SSA-E is designed to be a drop-in, no fuss trigger that would serve well in a DMR role.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Only issue i could see is  light strikes and the fact that Geiselle doesn't recommend the use of their triggers on 22 conversion kits.
View Quote
I've been using an SSA in my Spike's dedicated 22LR AR for thousands of rounds with no issue but you're e-mail made me want to do a little more research and I found this post which seems to contradict that.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Our triggers are certainly compatible with the .22 rifle

-Geissele Customer Service
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:26:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Our triggers are certainly compatible with the .22 rifle

-Geissele Customer Service
View Quote

Well that is great news!

Been practicing dry firing with the stock SSA-E, after placing a piece of cotton in front of the hammer (thumb got sore) and I may still try a JP yellow spring  down the road and polish the disconnector surfaces to help with trigger return if necessary.

...of course I may just get smart and leave it the %@#*! alone too.

I will say that this certainly is a sweet little FCG "as issued".  

Thank you for posting Arty155!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top