Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2014 10:37:19 AM EDT
I need the measurements off just the action spring. I am building a homebrew ar folder. I'm hoping someone will do me a favor and save me frome buying the wrong springs...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Why can't you just use a regular spring?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the process of re-working the entire recoil system. it will use a smaller diameter coil, but same rate. most parts will be above the barrel. I'm hoping that it will just drop in...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I love when people tinker and make stuff on their own, I'll be happy to help when I get home. Do you need the thickness of the spring? Or do you need me to disassemble the SCS and measure it's length? I haven't disassembled it before so not quite sure how it's done.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Neat stuff.

Don't forget your going to be dealing with the same style but opposite direction off axis forces that cause carrier tilt and it's extra ware.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
alright, I'm glad someone wanted to help. I don't need the length or (quite...) the wire thickness. I need the outside diameter and inside diameter of the coil. Looking at the spring like a tube, how big across is the hole through the center. likewise, looking down center, how wide is it from side to side.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neat stuff.

Don't forget your going to be dealing with the same style but opposite direction off axis forces that cause carrier tilt and it's extra ware.
View Quote

I'm not too worried about tilt. I basically chopped off the rear half of the carrier. I didn't really see the point after gutting the recoil components. especially if the stock is going to fold...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#7]
What are you using as a carrier hard stop?  Solid compression of the spring or a plug threaded into the extension hole (or inside whatever threads there, like the folding stock mount)?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Neat stuff.

View Quote

Not if the spring guide rod is rigidly attached to the carrier via a beefed up key.  No tilt in ZM300 carriers.

Without that, there certain could be a tilt issue in the upper receiver
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not if the spring guide rod is rigidly attached to the carrier via a beefed up key.  No tilt in ZM300 carriers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neat stuff.

I've never seen a ZM gun in person but what I'm doing is very similar.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What are you using as a carrier hard stop?  Solid compression of the spring or a plug threaded into the extension hole (or inside whatever threads there, like the folding stock mount)?
View Quote

I made an adapter of sorts for a Law Tactical hinge. It's aluminum with a nylon bumper.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
OD of the spring was.494. The OD of the spring guide was .370. I couldn't get an ID of the spring.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks a ton! it looks like that's the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OD of the spring was.494. The OD of the spring guide was .370. I couldn't get an ID of the spring.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/CC7A8D8F-B85C-4FD6-A3FD-2B838CEEA5FC-247-00000302F90E6BB7_zpsf60938f1.jpg
View Quote

Sure you can.  How thick is the wire?  Calculate the inner diameter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/CC7A8D8F-B85C-4FD6-A3FD-2B838CEEA5FC-247-00000302F90E6BB7_zpsf60938f1.jpg

Oh yeah.

It's been a long day.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top