User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1 of 1565)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1565
Posted: 3/16/2014 2:38:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
When discussing the Mk 18 / CQBR program, we can divide the history and discussion in to two distinct categories: 1) The weapon system itself / upper receiver supplied and 2) the group of accessories deployed on said weapon systems (SOPMOD).

----------

Mk 18 Mod 0 / CQBR

The M4 carbine and M16 are not ideally suited for all missions, so it was proposed that the modularity of the M16 series would allow a user to replace the upper receiver of an existing weapon with one more suitable to the task. One of two proposed special mission receivers that were planned for inclusion into the SOPMOD Block II kit, the CQBR has taken off on its own. Like the proposed Special Purpose Receiver, the Close Quarters Battle Receiver has been more or less taken on by the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division (often referred to as NSWC-Crane or just "Crane") as its own project following the CQBR's removal from the SOPMOD program. Just as the Special Purpose Receiver morphed into the Special Purpose Rifle, and was type-classified as Mk 12 Mod 0/1, the complete CQBR-equipped carbine has been type-classified as the Mk 18 Mod 0.

The purpose of the CQBR remains to provide operators with a weapon of submachine gun size, but firing a rifle cartridge, for scenarios such as VIP protection, urban warfare, and other close quarters battle (CQB) situations. The CQBR is designed to provide improvement over previous AR-15/M16-type weapons in this category. The CQBR is usually issued as a complete weapon system, and not just an upper receiver. The CQBR was once only available to Naval Special Warfare units, but the Mk 18 Mod 0 has become general issue for Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure (VBSS) missions and, as of 2006, for NCIS agents deploying to active combat zones.[citation needed] The Mk 18 is also used by the Coast Guard's Tactical Law Enforcement Teams, Maritime Safety and Security Teams, and Maritime Security Response Team and the United States Navy's Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Operators.

Wikipedia has a good article with sources on the original CQBR/Mk 18 Mod 0 and its development.

----------

SOPMOD

The SOPMOD Program Management Office at NSWC Crane, IN, provides standardized, versatile weapons accessories to meet needs across SOF mission scenarios. These accessories increase operator survivability and lethality by enhanced weapon performance, target acquisition, signature suppression, and fire control.

The CQBR itself was originally part of the SOPMOD program as an accessory replacement upper receiver for the M4. However it was eventually separated out into its own project.

SOPMOD accessories for the M4/CQBR originally included things like the KAC RIS/RAS, SOPMOD stock, KAC M4QD suppressor, AN/PEQ-2 illuminator/laser, ECOS-N red dot, ACOG, etc

The SOPMOD program has gone through multiple minor and major evolutions throughout its lifetime. The most significant is commonly defined as "Block II" and included the introduction/replacement of accessories that met the updated needs of operators. The most visually significant "Block II" accessory is probably the replacement of the KAC rail/FSB with the  Daniel Defense RIS II free float rail with low-profile gas block. Other updates include things like the Surefire SOCOM sound suppressor, EOTech RDS (553/SU-231 & EXPS 3-0/SU-231a), LA-5/PEQ ATPIAL, etc

----------

Link to docs and photo albums

Presentation on CQBR from Crane
 Operator's Manual for Mk 18 Mod 0
 SOPMOD Program Overview presentation from Crane
 Photo Album of Mk 18 Mod 0
 Photo Album of CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories

----------

Because of the long history of both the CQBR/Mk 18 and SOPMOD programs, it's common to find weapons with various mixed configurations in the field, all depending on what time and unit the weapon system belongs to. Below are a few examples with descriptions to illustrate this.

Example of a Mk 18 Mod 0 in as-issued configuration including: M16A1 surplus lower receiver, SOPMOD buttstock, KAC RIS, KAC M4QD flash hider, Aimpoint Comp M2 in Wilcox mount, LMT rear fixed sight, CQD rear sling plate.

NSW Operator CQBRs with original SOPMOD accessories including KAC M4QD sound suppressor and AN/PEQ-2 IR Illuminator/Laser.

Member of a Combat Camera team with a CQBR with KAC RAS and M4QD flash hider but with other updated accessories from the "Block II" SOPMOD kit including SU-231a (EOTech EXPS 3-0), EOTech G33 Magnifier, LA-5/PEQ ATPIAL, Insight WMX-200.

Good example of "early" CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories including SU-231 (EOTech 553) and SU-233 (Insight M3x weaponlight).

Example of a more "modern" CQBR with SOPMOD Block II accessories including the updated SU-231a (EOTech EXPS 3-0) and Insight WMX-200 weaponlight.

Many times certain configurations are common within certain branches/groups. Here a Marine Raider is seen with a CQBR with an AN/PEQ-16 (USMC issued vs. the LA-5/PEQ SOCOM issued ATPIAL) and KAC NT4 suppressor (vs. the current Surefire SOCOM suppressor).

----------

Building a clone

If you're interested in building a "clone" of a Mk 18 or CQBR equipped M4A1, here is a basic parts list to use as a guide and get you started. This list is not exhaustive and see the * note above regarding personalized accessories.

| Mk 18 Mod 0                      | M4A1 CQBR Block I                   | M4A1 CQBR Block II                                      
Lower Receiver         | Mil-spec forged A1               | Mil-spec forged A2                  | Mil-spec forged A2                                      
Stock                  | Gen 1 SOPMOD (Black)             | M4, CAR, SOPMOD, CTR & others       | M4, CAR, SOPMOD, CTR & others                            
Pistol Grip            | A1                               | A2, ERGO & others                   | A2, ERGO & others                                        
Rear Sling Plate       | CQD                              | CQD                                 | CQD                                                      
Upper Receiver         | Mil-spec forged M4 profile       | Mil-spec forged M4 profile          | Mil-spec forged M4 profile                              
Barrel                 | 10.3"                            | 10.3"                               | 10.3"                                                    
Rail                   | KAC RIS                          | KAC RAS                             | DD Mk18 RIS II (FDE)                                    
Rear BUIS              | LMT Fixed                        | LMT Fixed, MATECH, & others         | MATECH, KAC 300m, & others                              
Front Sight            | A2 FSB                           | A2 FSB                              | KAC 99051 BUIS (Taupe)                                  
Front Sling Attachment | FSB Sling Swivel                 | FSB Sling Swivel                    | CQD                                                      
Muzzle Device          | KAC M4QD                         | KAC M4QD                            | SureFire FH-556-RC                                      
Supressor              | None                             | KAC QDSS NT4                        | SureFire SOCOM556-RC (FDE)                              
LAM                    | None                             | PEQ-2                               | LA-5                                                    
Weaponlight            | SureFire M962                    | SureFire M952, M962                 | Insight M3X (Tan), Insight WMX200 (Bronze)              
Optic                  | Aimpoint Comp M2 in Wilcox Mount | Aimpoint Comp M2 in QRP Mount, ACOG | EOTech 553 (Tan), EOTech EXPS3-0 (Tan), ELCAN 1-4x (FDE)

----------

Link to previous threads

Previous Mk 18 / CQBR Thread Part I
 Previous Mk 18 / CQBR Thread Part II
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

#UncoverThatSerialNumberCitizenGang

View Quote
I shall not be infringed by your moderator powers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheers and Happy 4th everyone!

Link Posted: 7/4/2019 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MrKV:
Cheers and Happy 4th everyone!

https://i.ibb.co/cgdrCCL/B01-B7-B8-B-D7-D2-4-BFC-8252-95-A712-CD33-AA.jpg
View Quote
That came together good man, Happy 4th.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 12:29:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#4]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 12:29:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eMc9001] [#5]

*wee-oo wee-oo wee-oo*
View Quote
Alright, that's quality shit. lol'd.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]

I should probably remove it.
View Quote
Losing mod status in 3, 2, 1...
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the best price an nt4 can be had for? They are still up there right?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]

www.Trump.WRONG.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#13]

www.Trump.WRONG.jpg
View Quote
Just don't drink and post
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 4:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smithy] [#14]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:
Iam with you 100%, I just wish a pic of the combat latch was available. It would help my clone ocd....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

I'm combat latch AF.  Mil/hotdog latch blows.  But, never seen an ITW pic - has to be one out there though.
Iam with you 100%, I just wish a pic of the combat latch was available. It would help my clone ocd....
Sounds like a jobs for @Combat_Diver - CD any chance your'e seeing Pri GB's with Combat/Serrated latches out there?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
What's the best price an nt4 can be had for? They are still up there right?
View Quote
You're not going to do much better than around $1,350.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#18]
That FSP RIS II though, shiiiiit that is sexy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a jobs for @Combat_Diver - CD any chance your'e seeing Pri GB's with Combat/Serrated latches out there?
View All Quotes

I'm combat latch AF.  Mil/hotdog latch blows.  But, never seen an ITW pic - has to be one out there though.
I'm interested as well
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By krdt:

You're not going to do much better than around $1,350.
View Quote
Dang. I like them better. But that's alot.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Dang. I like them better. But that's alot.
View Quote
Totally agree with you there.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#22]
True, they're expensive... but with RCs showing up at $1,600, they may actually become the less expensive clone correct option eventually, heh.

If the choice is between an RC at $700 and an NT4 at $1,350, it's pretty easy to go with the RC - when it starts becoming an RC or even RC2 at $900-$1100, plus a 4 prong at $300, things become a lot more cloudy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#24]
True, they're expensive... but with RCs showing up at $1,600, they may actually become the less expensive clone correct option eventually, heh.

If the choice is between an RC at $700 and an NT4 at $1,350, it's pretty easy to go with the RC - when it starts becoming an RC or even RC2 at $900-$1100, plus a 4 prong at $300, things become a lot more cloudy.
View Quote
This is true. I have two 4-prongs that cost roughly $300/each, so $600 total. Two NT4 mounts cost roughly $75/each. So the difference in just the two mounting devices is $450.

I wish I had just jumped on the NT4 from the beginning. Probably would have cost roughly the same in the end.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#25]

That's a good point. NT4 mount is cheap as sin (especially for a KAC product) hell, don't NT4's even come with an M4QD?

I think they used to at least.
View Quote
Yes they do and excellent point. So the difference in the two mounts is closer to $525.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
No way I'm buying a 4 prong and I wouldn't pay more than 700 for a rc or sb. I'll be running my sandman for the time being but I need some more suppressors. I feel like the rcs are not made well. Do they work, yes. But strikes, erosion, build up etc just turn me off. Are there any issues with the nt4?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#27]
No way I'm buying a 4 prong and I wouldn't pay more than 700 for a rc or sb. I'll be running my sandman for the time being but I need some more suppressors. I feel like the rcs are not made well. Do they work, yes. But strikes, erosion, build up etc just turn me off. Are there any issues with the nt4?
View All Quotes

I will just tell you flat out that's nonsense. The RC is extremely well made - tough, low back pressure, little gas leakage and one of the best mounting systems out there.

I don't think erosion is any different than any other can made with similar materials - it's just that RCs tend to be used on short barrels with prong flash hiders and have been well documented with pictures. People also mistake cosmetic erosion with actual damaging erosion. In reality, the RC has a quite thick Inconel blast baffle  - I'd estimate it's twice as thick as the NT4 blast baffle. Naturally, some of the baffle thickness is offset by the 4 prong causing more targeted erosion, but if you used an SFCT to be comparable to the M4QD, I wouldn't be surprised if an RC could last as long as an NT4, maybe even longer due to the thicker baffle. If not, the RC has the huge added benefit of being able to be rebuilt.

The RC does have a tighter bore than the NT4 and the occasional baffle kiss happens, but it's usually entirely cosmetic. I don't hear of many RCs needing to rebuilt because of a legitimate strike. As far as carbon buildup, the shape of the NT4 baffles actually lends itself to faster accumulation (and my limited testing backs this up - the NT4 was accumulating weight quite fast). You can see why it'd pick up weight below:

I would say in a purely pragmatic comparison, the RC is probably superior to the NT4 in many ways (better mount, less gas leakage, less back pressure, lighter, etc.). But they are both very well built, tough cans.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

I have a real and a "copy" of the 4-prong and I didn't pay more than $70 dollars for either BUT if I was forced to pay more than $125~130.00 for a SF flash hider I'd just by the closed-tine Warcomp or 3-prong and call it good. It would be covered by the can most of the time anyway.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: julyAZ] [#29]
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#30]

I will just tell you flat out that's nonsense. The RC is extremely well made - tough, low back pressure, little gas leakage and one of the best mounting systems out there.

I don't think erosion is any different than any other can made with similar materials - it's just that RCs tend to be used on short barrels with prong flash hiders and have been well documented with pictures. People also mistake cosmetic erosion with actual damaging erosion. In reality, the RC has a quite thick Inconel blast baffle  - I'd estimate it's twice as thick as the NT4 blast baffle. Naturally, some of the baffle thickness is offset by the 4 prong causing more targeted erosion, but if you used an SFCT to be comparable to the M4QD, I wouldn't be surprised if an RC could last as long as an NT4, maybe even longer due to the thicker baffle. If not, the RC has the huge added benefit of being able to be rebuilt.

The RC does have a tighter bore than the NT4 and the occasional baffle kiss happens, but it's usually entirely cosmetic. I don't hear of many RCs needing to rebuilt because of a legitimate strike. As far as carbon buildup, the shape of the NT4 baffles actually lends itself to faster accumulation (and my limited testing backs this up - the NT4 was accumulating weight quite fast). You can see why it'd pick up weight below:

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/knights.carbon.buildup.png

I would say in a purely pragmatic comparison, the RC is probably superior to the NT4 in many ways (better mount, less gas leakage, less back pressure, lighter, etc.). But they are both very well built, tough cans.
View Quote
Ah I forgot about that picture. That's terrible. I do like the fact that guys are getting their rc rebuilt for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#31]
All this talk of the NT4. The wait begins. Check hasn't even been cashed yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Ah I forgot about that picture. That's terrible. I do like the fact that guys are getting their rc rebuilt for a reasonable price.
View Quote
Here's another pic, not sure if it's an RC but it is a surefire.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
Just the standard PRI M84 Gas Buster.  Next rotation shortly should have the Geissele Airborne charging handles on the URGIs.

CD
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By wissota4:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384425/161833_jpeg-1004674.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384425/161833_jpeg-1004674.JPG
It's a 212; you can tell by the end cap weld location.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 1:16:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Just the standard PRI M84 Gas Buster.  Next rotation shortly should have the Geissele Airborne charging handles on the URGIs.

CD
View Quote
78Staff is non-compliant lol...

Link Posted: 7/5/2019 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AR_Marv:
All this talk of the NT4. The wait begins. Check hasn't even been cashed yet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/465788/IMG_2320_JPG-1004668.JPG
View Quote
That is sexy.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Would I be banished from the clone community if I just got a Turbo K and sprayed it FDE?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Would I be banished from the clone community if I just got a Turbo K and sprayed it FDE?
View Quote
I dont have a clone correct can either. :/
But eventually, I will.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

Yep.
View Quote
I had a feeling
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Yep.
View Quote
They say that about 10.5 barrels, hotdog selectors, incorrect sights and stocks. But we get those all the time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#43]

They say that about 10.5 barrels, hotdog selectors, incorrect sights and stocks. But we get those all the time.
View Quote
I nominate you the new clone moderator then.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#44]

I nominate you the new clone moderator then.
View Quote
We had an old one??
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#45]

We had an old one??
View Quote
CHINASPEC556.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#46]

CHINASPEC556.
View Quote
Never heard of her.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#47]

CHINASPEC556.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Which 45 degree Surefire Scout mount will work with the ATPIAL? Thinking about ditching my Unity Tactical micro hub.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 12:42:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -KentuckyWindage-] [#50]
Originally Posted By J_MONEY:
Which 45 degree Surefire Scout mount will work with the ATPIAL? Thinking about ditching my Unity Tactical micro hub.
View Quote
Always been a fan of Arisaka products.

https://arisakadefense.com/collections/frontpage/products/side-scout-mount-picatinny
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top