Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 127
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:37:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#1]
is there any info on that new polymer receiver w/ metal inserts?

American tactical is importeing it.  It has a metal inset on the back so that the part the receiver extention threads into won't break off.  The guns americal article said it was "zinc"  

http://www.americantactical.us/5117/detail.html

if you go to the 5th slide on the home page tyou can see a picture of hte insert's dimensions.  I sent them an email asking about its weight and markings...

$49

ETA: they got back to me, that receiver is only .2 oz lighter than normal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:00:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#2]
thinking about getting one of those mag tac uppers, maybe a lower too, but has anyone had problems w/ them being out of spec or breaking?  Would be for a 8.5" build, so not a lot of leverage on it...

From OPs
Upper Receivers
Aero Precision Forged Stripped 7.16 U
Mag Tactical Upper, stripped 4.8 M

Lower Receivers
Aero Precision Forged Stripped 8.68 U
Mag Tactical Stripped 5.88 M

according to this, I could save 2.36 and 2.8oz, a toatl of 5.16 oz.  Not too shabby.  Wish Mag Tac would make that shit w/o F/A
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:07:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eturu:
I was going to build a lightweight AR here are some parts I found;

AP Custom carbon-fiber handguards (claim to be the lightest on the market)
Carbine Length: 7", 3.8 no barrel nut
Mid-Length: 9", 4.5 no barrel nut
Rifle Length: 12.375", 5.4 no barrel nut
XL Length: 15", 6.2 no barrel nut
View Quote

For example, their 9" middy Tactical model w/ the 12 o'clock rail permmatached is listed as 6.3 oz.  Add the standard barrel nut and you get 7.6oz.  For comparison, the 10" BCM KMR magnesium rail is listed at 6.3 oz w/ mounting hardware.  But that CF rail is at least $100 cheaper.  

Now for their 15" plain tube, the system comes in at a mere 7.5 oz, assumig the trunnion is included in the weight.... That would be quite good. I could save 11.3 oz by switching from my JP xl tube!

I emailed them to confirmt hat their tube weights listed are in fact including the Trunnion that mounts to a standard barrel nut.

ETA:  COnfirmed about the weight.

ETA: some google searching revealed at least 1 review here on arfcom saying that the system, using 4 set screws to secure the tube to the trunion is not very strong...
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:15:45 AM EDT
[#4]
lol, a DIY lightened bolt carrier.  pretty good  job actually.
from another thread here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
has anyone had problems with thier mag tactical lower? mine is very tight to the upper and seems to be rubbing again where the buffer tube threads and upper meet. i actually have to push the upper and lower together and force the rear take down pin in. im going to call them today just was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
AR Performance Barrels (www.ar15performance.com)

Info from the manufacturer website:

16" 5.56 Lightweight Barrel, 4150 CMW, Wylde chamber
1lb 9oz  (25 oz)

16" 5.56 Fluted Socom weight barrel, 4150 CMV, wylde chamber
2lb (32oz)

16" 5.56 Socom weight barrel, 4150 CMV, Wylde chamber
2lb 3oz (35 oz)
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rightwingnut:
thinking about getting one of those mag tac uppers, maybe a lower too, but has anyone had problems w/ them being out of spec or breaking?  Would be for a 8.5" build, so not a lot of leverage on it...

From OPs
Upper Receivers

Lower Receivers

according to this, I could save 2.36 and 2.8oz, a toatl of 5.16 oz.  Not too shabby.
View Quote

Yes, going with Mag Tactical receivers can save you a lot of weight! I think it's key for a sub-5lb build.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Rainier Arms Mini Compensator

Going on a 16" BCM lightweight build.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By maxpower98:
has anyone had problems with thier mag tactical lower? mine is very tight to the upper and seems to be rubbing again where the buffer tube threads and upper meet. i actually have to push the upper and lower together and force the rear take down pin in. im going to call them today just was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
View Quote

I have a fde Mag Tactical lower built up that my other uppers fit tight to. But there is no slop in it that I have felt in many other AR's. No need for the accu wedge rubber bumper in it either. I see the finish starting to wear in the area you mention (in the curve?).  I just got a black Mag Tact upper and lower delivered the other day (from different suppliers) and they fit together nicely. Very good fit, nice and tight with no slop.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-Cogburn] [#10]
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t431/bkarma/fa2efaa1.jpg
View Quote

WTF? If there was an actual feather weight set up, I might be able to stomach it. Drilling holes in the bolt carrier with a magnifier, full rails, Heavy upper, heavy lower, heavy pistol grip...That's just what we can see in the pic. In fact everything except the hack job bolt is heavy. I guess different strokes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Wmcray:
Rainier Arms Mini Compensator
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd382/mhinvest70/SAM_0182.jpg

Going on a 16" BCM lightweight build.
View Quote

Looks to be the lightest option so far for a 16" barrel. Nice.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Rooster-Cogburn:

WTF? If there was an actual feather weight set up, I might be able to stomach it. Drilling holes in the bolt carrier with a magnifier, full rails, Heavy upper, heavy lower, heavy pistol grip...That's just what we can see in the pic. In fact everything except the hack job bolt is heavy. I guess different strokes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lol, I never even looked at that.  Perhaps he is just going for a light recoiling gun.  A lighter carrier can have its bounce managed by a lighter buffer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:41:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#13]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Yes, going with Mag Tactical receivers can save you a lot of weight! I think it's key for a sub-5lb build.
View All Quotes

From OPs
Upper Receivers

Lower Receivers

according to this, I could save 2.36 and 2.8oz, a toatl of 5.16 oz.  Not too shabby.

So those aero precision recievers are representative of milspec type receivers?

Yeah, if a colt 6920 weighs 5.9 lbs, you would pretty  have to go with lighter receivers and a skinnyier barrel forward of the gas block.   And maybe a lighter buffer/carrier with reduced gas system.    Does anyone know what a 16" m4gry barrel weighs?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#14]
So those aero precision receivers are representative of milspec type receivers?

Yeah, if a colt 6920 weighs 5.9 lbs, you would pretty  have to go with lighter receivers and a skinnyier barrel forward of the gas block.   And maybe a lighter buffer/carrier with reduced gas system.    Does anyone know what a 16" m4gry barrel weighs?
View Quote

Nothing magical about a Colt 6920. Uses a light barrel and a fairly light basic parts.

The Aero Precision forged receivers ARE milspec. The weights are probably a touch high because I was weighing the Cerakote versions that have a thicker finish on them.

Check out the "test" tab on the spreadsheet, you can get under 5 lbs fairly easily.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:02:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#15]
So, it looks like:
Forged Upper with Steel Forward Assist = 7.8 - 7.9 oz.
Forged Upper without FA (slick)                = 6.5 - 6.6 oz

So buying an upper without FA is going to save you almost an ounce and a half.

Also took apart one of my ARs to weigh the Magpul CTR and the Magpul MIAD grip- the magpul grip is about an ounce heavier than lighter grips with the plug in place.

Still, shooting for 32 oz for a complete lower is a pretty good goal I think. I believe the Colt 6920 lower weighs right about 33 oz.
--------------------
ACE Ultra Lite Assembly: 8.25 oz   (weighs more completely stock not ground down)
vs.
M4 stock, buffer tube, castle nut, Endplate: 6.6 + 3.84 + .6 + .64 = 11.68 oz

Realistically, the ACE unmodified is still probably the lightest possible stock combo, but maybe only by a little bit once some of the boutique parts come into the picture.
LWRC ultra compact extension, V7 endplate, v7 castle nut, Car Fiberlite Stock = very close to 8 oz.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#16]
So, it looks like:
Forged Upper with Steel Forward Assist = 7.8 - 7.9 oz.
Forged Upper without FA (slick)                = 6.5 - 6.6 oz

So buying an upper without FA is going to save you almost an ounce and a half.

View Quote

How much less is a drilled 9mm upper (no FA, no deflector)?
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Lol, I never even looked at that.  Perhaps he is just going for a light recoiling gun.  A lighter carrier can have its bounce managed by a lighter buffer.
View All Quotes

That makes my brain hurt. I didn't know you could do that, but it seems to make sense with some sort of relationship between the spring, weight, force, momentum ect. I suck at physics, and have never looked into recoil reduction in 5.56 since it's such a small caliber with light recoil anyway.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Mine had a similar problem, the upper wouldn't close and the rear takedown pin was misaligned. I got them both replaced and now they are GTG - great customer service (don't underestimate the power of being able to call the company you want to talk to, and have someone pick up on the other end).

I'd buy again for sure. They are awesome.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 3:33:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: torrent7] [#19]
Random Parts - I didn't cross reference with the list already made, if there are dups, consider this confirmation of weights:

Noveske 15" NSR With (Rail+Barrel Nut, no panels)

Noveske NSR Barrel Nut

Aero Precision Stripped Upper with no F/A

Magpul MBIUS (Front)

YHM Original Phantom 4 port flash hider/comp

BCM Assembled Upper (Blem)

Noveske Keymod Sling Attach Point (feet not included in weight)

Not super lightweight, but its pretty light for a non lightweight barrel (Rainier Arms Select 18" Medcon barrel) - 2 lbs 1.2 oz

I don't have pictures, but I measured the following:
Troy Alpha Rail (FDE) 13" to 11.3 oz (not including barrel nut)
Warne Ultra High 1" Aluminum Rings: 4.6 oz
Black Hole Weaponry 18" Barrel: 39.4 oz (definitely not light weight)
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 2:23:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PiccoloPlayer] [#20]
MFT BMS 5.82 oz</a>" />

DPMS 3 prong A1 style 1.98 oz
</a>" />

CS Springs/Tubb flatwire spring 1.66 oz
</a>" />

According to someone at Rainier the AAC shorty weighs 1.4 oz. However, they also said the Rainier Mini Comp weighs 1.4oz. Source
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 2:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PiccoloPlayer] [#21]
Originally Posted By Nada-Nada:
I just got an MOE K Grip in. My Soehnle scale puts it at 64 grams or 2.25oz.

I know the spreadsheet shows 1.94oz. Probably my scale. That's a big difference though, I can't find the calibrated weight I once had to check it.

Edit: Best verification I have is a Simple Threaded Device. Owner says it weighs in at 2.24oz, my scale shows exactly that. Same scale puts the MOE K at 2.257oz

View Quote

Looks like Magpul changed this grip a bit. Skip to 7:50. I'm guessing this explanation accounts for the variance.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't see any trigger weights yet??? I have a CMC drop in  that I can pull out and weigh but I have a feeling it doesn't need to be on any "lightweight" list. Housing around it is steel.

Interested in one of the skeletonized Timney's....
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Elsinore13:
Don't see any trigger weights yet??? I have a CMC drop in  that I can pull out and weigh but I have a feeling it doesn't need to be on any "lightweight" list. Housing around it is steel.

Interested in one of the skeletonized Timney's....
View Quote

The ALG Defense ACT trigger is 2.58 oz. It's in the list. That includes the pins and springs.

Coincidentally the FCG is about 50% of the lower parts weight (disregarding grip).

Strangely my Umbrella Corp. grip is about 0.3 oz heavier than expected as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:28:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Any ideas on how much a Troy Medeival FH weighs? I have one pinned on my wife's 14.5 LW. Thinking about sending it to Adco and having the VDI installed if it would save an ounce off the very nose.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
Any ideas on how much a Troy Medeival FH weighs? I have one pinned on my wife's 14.5 LW. Thinking about sending it to Adco and having the VDI installed if it would save an ounce off the very nose.
View Quote

I will e-mail Troy today and see what they say.

The biggest advantage to the VDI manimal is that it is 0.745" OD so you can actually remove the gas block and barrel nut with the muzzle device pinned.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 11:04:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maxpower98] [#26]
Originally Posted By torrent7:
View Quote

Mine had a similar problem, the upper wouldn't close and the rear takedown pin was misaligned. I got them both replaced and now they are GTG - great customer service (don't underestimate the power of being able to call the company you want to talk to, and have someone pick up on the other end).

View Quote

well that makes me feel good even though i have not been able to get ahold of a real person. i have left several messages. but i shall continue because i hope they will make it right
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#27]

well that makes me feel good even though i have not been able to get ahold of a real person. i have left several messages. but i shall continue because i hope they will make it right
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By torrent7:

If you left a message, they'll call. I left a message and an e-mail. Got two calls.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Just in case any of you were wondering, yes the .750 gas block will slip easily over the VooDoo Innovations flash hider. V7 Ti here.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Just in case any of you were wondering, yes the .750 gas block will slip easily over the VooDoo Innovations flash hider. V7 Ti here.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/duc-man97/IMG_20140303_113210_058_zps8ffd0c75.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/duc-man97/IMG_20140303_210517_766_zps32ebbe57.jpg
View Quote

Thanks the the update. I was told by VDI that the manimal was designed specifically for this purpose. It also happens to make it lightweight.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Standard trigger/hammer pins .15 oz
NFA poly trigger .26 oz
NFA poly hammer .20 oz
Mako poly ejection port cover .20 oz
GI trigger 1.22 oz
BAD-ASS with short standard levers on both sides, .67 oz
Standard charging handle 1.14 oz
Smith aluminum bolt carrier w/key 3.7 oz
PM&T titanium carrier w/key 5.1 oz
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 10:15:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#31]
I am kind of in-doubt about the SLR rifle works stuff. They list the Solo 3-gun as being the same weight (8 oz) for the 13" and 15" models. This isn't possible, so I'm pretty sure one or both of the weights are wrong. Would really like to see a 3rd party weigh these. They also list the weight of the barrel nut, but don't say if the listed weight includes the nut or not.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I am kind of in-doubt about the SLR rifle works stuff. They list the Solo 3-gun as being the same weight (8 oz) for the 13" and 15" models. This isn't possible, so I'm pretty sure one or both of the weights are wrong. Would really like to see a 3rd party weigh these. They also list the weight of the barrel nut, but don't say if the listed weight includes the nut or not.
View Quote

I think they just made a mistake on the 3-gun description since all the other weights seem to be proportionate to their sizing with the others. I think that it was mentioned that it includes the nut. I too would like to see a third party weight. I have one of an AP Customs rifle length if I can figure out how to post a pic from my ipad.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
Standard trigger/hammer pins .15 oz
NFA poly trigger .26 oz
NFA poly hammer .20 oz
Mako poly ejection port cover .20 oz
GI trigger 1.22 oz
BAD-ASS with short standard levers on both sides, .67 oz
Standard charging handle 1.14 oz
Smith aluminum bolt carrier w/key 3.7 oz
PM&T titanium carrier w/key 5.1 oz
View Quote

Thanks for the weights. Are the PM&T carriers still made? I'm not sure if I want to have NLA parts on my list, or maybe if I do they need an asterisk by them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I have not seen any weights for optics.  I will be using Primary Arms Micro Dot MD-06L w/ Seekins mount.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:18:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LMTRocks] [#35]
I took some photos of the parts that I used when I did a LW build last year.

Yankee Hill 5.56 QD Brake

Noveske NSR-9 with no mounting hardware

Ballistic Advantage 5.45x39 barrel that was contoured from M4 down to .600 forward of the .750 gas block seat and also made to be a .625 gas seat.

I recall a SOPMOD stock being about 11oz on this scale I used.

I'm going to be doing another LW build for my lady and I, and as I get parts in I will do individual weights for all the parts.  I will be using 2 of the integral triggerguard Anderson lowers and the Anderson LPK with a Fortis QD endplate and Ergo grips.  She liked that grip better than the Magpul MOE+ so Ergo it is.

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Weights of forward assist, selector, port door & rod, take down pins, mag catch/release and endplate/castle nut combo.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 5:58:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: reverse_edge] [#37]
Not all of this is "light weight" but it's data none the less. At minimum it can be used to compare to other options. All weights are in OZ.

Stocks:

VLTOR Modstock                   8.00

Magpul CTR Stock         9.10

VLTOR iMod stock           9.88

B5 Sopmod Gen2         12.06

Lower Parts/Grip/Misc:

Norgon ambi mag release  0.50

Magpul BAD Lever          0.28

Tango Down BG-17          3.32

WOTG "Proctor Sling"           1.90

BCG/CH:

Colt Charging Handle                  1.12

Colt BCG                                11.56

BCM Mod4 Gunfighter                  1.26

PSA BCG                                11.50

BCM BCG                          11.64

Buffers & Springs:

H2 Buffer                                4.66

Carbine Buffer Spring                1.90

VLTOR A5 Buffer                5.30

VLTOR A5 Buffer Spring      2.12

PSA Buffer                          2.96

PSA Buffer Spring                 1.90

Optics/Irons (w/ Batteries):

Mueller Speed Shot 1-4x                      18.76

Primary Arms MD-09 w/ PA Riser                6.42

Aimpoint PRO in ADM Mount              10.80

Aimpoint T1 w/ Larue 660                        5.78

LaRue SPR 1.5                                        7.06

DD 1.5 Rear Sight                                1.70

DD Fixed Front                                        1.12

KAC 300m Rear Sight                          1.48

KAC 600m Rear Sight                                1.76

Lights/Mounts (w/ batteries):

IWC TRX Surefire Mount                                        1.70

Surefire E2D LED (VTAC)                                        3.74

Surefire x300 ultra w/ universal latch                        4.10

Surefire x300 ultra w/ rail lock mount                        4.16

Surefire x300                                                        3.80

Surefire Scount w/ Gear sector mount & SR-07 switch5.90

And for reference, some uppers I weighed without taking them all apart:

DD 14.5" LW Midgas w/ chopped FSB and 13" TRX-E Alpha      47.76

6920 upper (no HG, no BCG/ch, no sight)                              47.20

BCM 16" ELW w/ BCM LP Gasblock & KMR 13                      44.20

BCM 16" LW w/ Chopped FSB & URX3 Rail                              51.14

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Here are some weights I have:

Centurion CMR 14" Rail: 14.2oz (yes, grossly overweight)
Surefire MB 556: 3.6oz
Noveske 16" LW Polygonal: 28oz (no gas block)
JP Rifle Buffer Spring: 2oz
JP LMOS Rifle Buffer: 3.2oz
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 1:42:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elsinore13] [#39]
Midwest 10.5 SSK with barrel nut and pinch bolts. 219.6 grams / 7.74 ounces

Now, when is someone going to make an aluminum or titanium barrel nut for this thing? Seems to be popular enough.  V7?????

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone dissect this complete one from Mag Tactical yet?

http://magtacticalsystems.com/index.php/rifles
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone dissect this complete one from Mag Tactical yet?

http://magtacticalsystems.com/index.php/rifles
View Quote

Well, it uses an M4 stock, Midlength 16" pencil barrel, Fortis Rev 12" handguard,  Mag Tactical upper and lower, and a lightened bolt carrier. The only thing that is particularly interesting to me is the bolt carrier, wondering which one they use and where I can get one. It's actually a pretty decent price for a premium lightweight carbine, you couldn't make something similar in weight for much less money.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 10:04:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#42]
Midwest 10.5 SSK with barrel nut and pinch bolts. 219.6 grams / 7.74 ounces

Now, when is someone going to make an aluminum or titanium barrel nut for this thing? Seems to be popular enough.  V7?????

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/duc-man97/IMG_20140312_123255_503_zps23235c96.jpg
View Quote

They list that as 7.7 oz. I guess that is close enough and we can call MI honest in their listed weights.

That is a heck of a value, in terms of price and functionality per oz since it already comes with 5 qd sling points WO adding any thing to the tube.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 10:14:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#43]
Originally Posted By Whhood:

I think they just made a mistake on the 3-gun description since all the other weights seem to be proportionate to their sizing with the others. I think that it was mentioned that it includes the nut. I too would like to see a third party weight. I have one of an AP Customs rifle length if I can figure out how to post a pic from my ipad.
View All Quotes

I went back and forth with the guy over email about the weight.  It almost seemed like he was being evasive but maybe I just was not clear enough initially.  Ultimately he certainly claimed that the 15" solo 3 gun, hardware and the 7075 barrel nut grossed @ 9.3oz.
ETA: i see they updated their site and are claiming more than that now. Perhaps he added the weight of the nut too???

Note that they have two solo lite hg with full 12 o'clock rails and they also have a solo 3 gun w/o a full top rail, so it is possible that the extra long 3 gun version is as light as the 12" solo... (ETA: I see they now have a second 13" solo 3 gun coming out).

It also claims that every key mod hole is also a qd socket.  I don't doubt that the holes are that size but I do wonder if they are really strong enough...  I like the looks of the qd holes in the MI handguard, for example, better.

Also op, please add the weights of the AP customs CF tubes.  The confirmed with me that the weights they list includes the tube, hardware and "trunnion" but NOT the milspec barrel nut it mounts to, so add that in.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 10:25:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Whhood] [#44]

I went back and forth with the guy over email about the weight.  It almost seemed like he was being evasive but maybe I just was not clear enough initially.  Ultimately he certainly claimed that the 15" solo 3 gun, hardware and the 7075 barrel nut grossed @ 9.3oz.  It seems possible since the thing is narrow, vented at 12o clock without a top rail and generally rather relieved.  I do suspect it would flex a little though if a shooting sling was attached near the muzzle.  

It also claims that every key mod hole is also a qd socket.  I don't doubt that the holes are that size but I do wonder if they are really strong enough...  I like the looks of the qd holes in the mi rail better, for example.
View All Quotes

I went back and forth with the guy over email about the weight.  It almost seemed like he was being evasive but maybe I just was not clear enough initially.  Ultimately he certainly claimed that the 15" solo 3 gun, hardware and the 7075 barrel nut grossed @ 9.3oz.  It seems possible since the thing is narrow, vented at 12o clock without a top rail and generally rather relieved.  I do suspect it would flex a little though if a shooting sling was attached near the muzzle.  

It also claims that every key mod hole is also a qd socket.  I don't doubt that the holes are that size but I do wonder if they are really strong enough...  I like the looks of the qd holes in the mi rail better, for example.

I agree on the QD issue for sure. I'd still like to see a third party weight on the 13" or the 15".

ETA- I just saw that they updated the weights on their website.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Also op, I know the ace UL assembly is sort of hard to list they way you have things listed since it neccesitates their gusset if one uses either rifle or "entry" received extent ion, but could you put the weight of the assembly in there of just the aluminum butt, gusset with sling loop and rifle rec ext?  Perhaps you could just put it in parenthesis at the bottom of the buttstock list?  It is still the lightest is it not?
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Also op, I know the ace UL assembly is sort of hard to list they way you have things listed since it neccesitates their gusset if one uses either rifle or "entry" received extent ion, but could you put the weight of the assembly in there of just the aluminum butt, gusset with sling loop and rifle rec ext?  Perhaps you could just put it in parenthesis at the bottom of the buttstock list?  It is still the lightest is it not?
View Quote

I've been a little slow to update lately. But what I can do is list the entire assembly weight and what it comes with.

It is really light, about 8oz.  
Compared to say a lightweight tube, endplate, castle nut, and stock, the lightest you can get on that is about 10.5 oz.

That + mag tactical lower
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 10:50:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#47]
oops, well disregard what I said about SLR's handguarsds a couple posts above.  Now they guy is listing the 15" solo 3 gun at 11.4oz.  Still not bad for a 15" handguard but 9 oz it is not.  Worst of all, it is not clear whether that listed weight includes the barrel nut or not.    Frusturating.  Maybe I'll email him agiain.  Looked at our correspondence, he said that the nut and hardware is1.03 oz, not 1.3 oz...  I ask him for clarification about his listed weights.

Looks like they have a 13" 3-gun style sans top rail cept at the very front but it is "coming soon" so I'm not even gonna bother believing that weight.

ETA: he got back to me and said that the weights now listed included the HG, barrel nut and hardware.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#48]

I've been a little slow to update lately. But what I can do is list the entire assembly weight and what it comes with.

Compared to say a lightweight tube, endplate, castle nut, and stock, the lightest you can get on that is about 10.5 oz.

View All Quotes

I updated my post on pg 2 a bit, it could be just under 7oz w/o a foam sleeve or rubber butt pad and w/ the short 7" round tube acutally!  However, hardly any man can run a gun w/ a stock that short.  Mine, slightly ground, is basically 8.25 oz.  Loose the sleeve and it would be 7.35 oz.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Scope mounts:
Aero Precision Ultralight (2.98oz)

Aero Precision Ultralight Extended (2.98oz)

Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top