Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 127
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:16:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#1]
I wanted to share Venom Defense hybrid steel muzzle brake w/ titanium linear comp sleeve/mounting mechanism and Tactical Advantage Armory Titanium FDE FT23 (223/556/22) and Titanium Black FT30 (30 cal) before it goes out to Ionbond DLC. OD for for all muzzle devices are 0.750. FYI both of these took MONTHS (ordered earlier this year) with little to no communication before I received them.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
That airborne arms titanium gas block will be great for my 308. I really want a magnesium 308 handguard that has an aluminum barrel nut.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pscot468:
That airborne arms titanium gas block will be great for my 308. I really want a magnesium 308 handguard that has an aluminum barrel nut.
View Quote

Dark hour defense has your handguard.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have a spare DSA sand cut BCG they want to trade for optics?    I know a few here bought extras, so I thought i'd check
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JerDerv:

Dark hour defense has your handguard.
View Quote

Nah man. I already have a v7 hyperlight 308 handguard but they use titanium barrel nuts. I want an aluminum barrel nut.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Ceratac uses aluminum bbl nuts.  Their handguards have to be timed, however.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
A couple things I've been working on lately:

Lightweight A2 buffer tube.
Attachment Attached File

New lengths are always fun.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The lightweight rifle buffer tube is pretty sweet, was waiting for something like that to show up
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By andyglidewell:
View Quote

Sending a pm
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172608/IMG_20201027_190705_225_jpg-1689359.JPG
View Quote

Very impressive. I'm curious about the durability of these rails. Next year, once things settle down, I might use this and one of Faxon's new 14.5 pencil barrel for a new build.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:56:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#11]
So cool that this thread is still around. Sorry I don't have the time / passion to keep up with it, but others are carrying the torch proudly.

I have a little time to edit the first post if there is an updated link you guys are using.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm working up another Ultra-light Rifle article, which will likely be my last.  There's not much meat on the bone left for improving these parts, with exotic materials and skeletonizing abound.  

I've mapped out at least 6 ounces, possibly up to 12 I can drop off my old build, while still using unmodified off-the-shelf parts.  It still won't be as crazy as some on here, but if I can get ~4 lbs with suppressor and optic included  I'll be happy.  We'll see!  Still trying to finalize my layout, tough during a panic buy.

I'm posing an EE "wanted" ad for the following, if any ULW bros have a spare to sell/trade

Luth-AR 601 triangle CH
DSA Low mass Sand Cut BCG
AGA Precision or Schuster delrin FA plug
Taccom buffer
Tubb Flatwire spring
Ti grip screw

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:04:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: safes2small] [#13]
Finally have everything together and took it out today...

I like this rifle...

Attachment Attached File

Sightmark mini shot m spec
Gemtech Trek T 10.4 oz
Faxxon 16” LW profile barrel
SA adj gas block
Clark’s custom carbon ff tube
Fostech upper and lower
Brownells lightweight BCG
carbine buffer without any weights
Springco blue spring
Car style stock & normal buffer tube
Larue MBT
Magpul K2 grip
alum grip screw
2A and V7 lower parts:
Ti firing pin
Ti cam pin
LW mag catch
al castle nut and plate
al td pins
LW port door and rod
Ti buffer retainer pin

No bolt catch, might buy a titanium one?

Idk what I left out...
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By safes2small:
Finally have everything together and took it out today...

I like this rifle...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/102380/3F19B54B-82BC-47AE-9308-7D56A0D94354_jpe-1704553.JPG
View Quote

Thats a nice build!  Do you have a build list?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:12:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: safes2small] [#15]
Updated with what I remember, without digging out records. Gathered parts for over a year while waiting on the stamp. Tried to keep it as light as possible on a “budget”. Could have gone lighter but at a much higher cost. I think I have just over 1k in it with the can and stamp. I think that’s pretty good. Got lots of parts on sale:

Clark carbon tube on clearance for $100
Trek T was gunbroker nos $500
Upper and lower I found at a small shop $175 for the set, they took $150 as they’d sat for years...

If I SBR it and install 10.5 pencil barrel it would take almost 5 oz off. Then it would be sub 4# without the can. As it sits without the can it’s 4lb 3.7oz
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:25:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#16]

Lightweight A2 buffer tube.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172608/IMG_17112020_203712__1080_x_1080_pixel__-1689349.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172608/IMG_20201027_190705_225_jpg-1689359.JPG
View Quote

Those look pretty cool!

ADDED: V7 Enlightened Upper Reciever
ADDED: Hogue 15 degree grip
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Have a friend with a 3d printer, testing out printing some low-wear parts with little structural stress.  Some are coming in around 1/3 the weight of the current PWD's top rated parts.  Details to follow if any of them aren't total failures.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:53:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#18]
Anyone take a look at the Fortis K2/K1 castle nuts and end plate combo? 7075 Al and is extremely lightweight for a captured, loctiteless, and stakeless design with relatively easy removal. I just got my K2 and forgot to weigh it before putting it on my rifle. Took about a min or so to install on one of my builds.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:
Have a friend with a 3d printer, testing out printing some low-wear parts with little structural stress.  Some are coming in around 1/3 the weight of the current PWD's top rated parts.  Details to follow if any of them aren't total failures.
View Quote

What material are y'all using?  I printed a grip and a few other parts out of ultem (PEI) before and they seemed like they would work no problem.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#20]

What material are y'all using?  I printed a grip and a few other parts out of ultem (PEI) before and they seemed like they would work no problem.
View Quote

Starting with PLA+ for an end plate, castle nut and minimalist buttstock.  Still looking for a good grip .stl that  plays nice with this printer and comes out at a good weight without feeling like I'll snap it
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 2:32:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Would be really interesting to see if it is possible to build a low-weight AR without spending a ton of money. Like weighing cost savings vs. weight savings.

Honestly the barrel, buttstock, and handguard are the biggest offenders.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By djkest:
Would be really interesting to see if it is possible to build a low-weight AR without spending a ton of money. Like weighing cost savings vs. weight savings.

Honestly the barrel, buttstock, and handguard are the biggest offenders.
View Quote

I don't think it's out of the realm of reality, panic prices aside.

I saw a lot of fostech magnesium receiver sets for pretty cheap last year.  The faxon pencil barrel ain't too bad.  An M&A Parts CAR-15 stock is cheap.  

As for rails/handguards, there's a lot of options.  Most are overbuilt and too pricey.  Dark Hour Defense has their darklite magnesium forends for under $200 for 9-11".  That's not cheap, but it's under a number of aluminum forends.

The taccom3g buffer system is really inexpensive, just needs adjustable gas in the works somewhere.

3d printing will further enhance our definition of lightweight, given that it's so much easier, faster, and cheaper to prototype parts
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:51:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#23]
Forged upper (no FA)  $75
Forged lower   $75
Faxton barrel  $170
Low profile GB
Milspec BCG
10.5" Midwest industries lightweight rail (or ultra lightweight for $60 more) $180
Battlelink Minimalist stock  $60
Hogue 15 degree grip  $20
Standard upper/lower parts

With everything else being stock that's probably 5.5 lbs which is in the lightweight realm but not ultra lightweight. But it doesn't make a ton of compromises either. $1000 ? Possibly.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#24]
The new KE Arms one piece polymer lower/stock for $110 stripped from Brownell's is likely a good place to start for an inexpensive lightweight build.  Think I posted the boy's .22 LR w/ 4X scope on a Sabre (Cav Arms Mk 2) lower in the under 6 thread a couple of weeks back.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Forged upper (no FA)  $75
Forged lower   $75
Faxton barrel  $170
Low profile GB
Milspec BCG
10.5" Midwest industries lightweight rail (or ultra lightweight for $60 more) $180
Battlelink Minimalist stock  $60
Hogue 15 degree grip  $20
Standard upper/lower parts

With everything else being stock that's probably 5.5 lbs which is in the lightweight realm but not ultra lightweight. But it doesn't make a ton of compromises either. $1000 ? Possibly.
View Quote

This is a good list.  The Hogue grip and a light stock make a surprising difference, as many stocks are way too heavy.

The New Frontier Armory LPF is cheap and light, though I think it's hard to sell people on the idea of a poly hammer and trigger unless they're really interested in ULW
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#26]
First couple T&E parts printed..

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#27]
First couple T&E parts printed..

https://i.imgur.com/KYJDdoUh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CN8ImgGh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Yj0BDOEh.jpg
View Quote

Interested in this!  Are you going to be offering to sale any of these parts or is this for your own use? Are you making any other parts?
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Micron:

Interested in this!  Are you going to be offering to sale any of these parts or is this for your own use? Are you making any other parts?
View Quote

That's a good question.  I suppose if these pass testing I'd be willing to print some out for ULW fellas at minimal cost.  It may even turn into something bigger, but first they have to prove they work
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Almost done...  I have a lighter grip and lighter gas block incoming, along with a Smoke Composites CF tube (no boss), taccom buffer and tubb spring.  Gonna 3d print the F/A delete plug.  Should easily be well under 3.5 lbs, maybe ~4lbs flat with suppressor and red dot.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#30]
So cool that this thread is still around. Sorry I don't have the time / passion to keep up with it, but others are carrying the torch proudly.

I have a little time to edit the first post if there is an updated link you guys are using.
View Quote

It's the OG of LW thread! Awesome to see ya in here man! The link in my sig goes to the PWD, which you inspired (and for which you get credit in the FAQ section!). If you could add it to the OP that would help a ton...sometimes newbies can't find it as they browse around the thread.

@djkest
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

It's the OG of LW thread! Awesome to see ya in here man! The link in my sig goes to the PWD, which you inspired (and for which you get credit in the FAQ section!). If you could add it to the OP that would help a ton...sometimes newbies can't find it as they browse around the thread.

@djkest
View Quote

Added it to the OP- check it out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Awesome, thanks much!
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:20:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Crap.  The ONE dude who still seemed to have Trinity Force ULW .625" aluminum gas blocks shit the bed.  He sent a steel one, so I let him know his mistake.  He says he'll make it right and send the aluminum.  So, he sends another steel one.  I let him know I now have two GB's that I don't want.  He said he sent the steel on purpose, because it's stronger.  Also, he has to retire now before Biden puts everyone out of business.

Lot of drama for a $10 gas block that's discontinued.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Lightweight pistol grip screws

Has anyone tried one of those nylon screws for the pistol grip?
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3425280075/145-3425280075-ND/11636719?itemSeq=346403601

It's the first one listed on the PWD, less than half in weight of an Al screw. It's a few bucks on Digikey.com, so I'm tempted to try one.
Anyone foresee any serious problem with it? Or any actual experience?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Maybe check your local hardware store 1st, might have it for a few cents.  Or McMaster or Fastenal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, I'll try those places. I'm pretty new to building ARs, so I just want to check if someone more experienced with materials and ARs foresee any big potential risk with using a nylon pistol screw...
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By yrs:
Yeah, I'll try those places. I'm pretty new to building ARs, so I just want to check if someone more experienced with materials and ARs foresee any big potential risk with using a nylon pistol screw...
View Quote

I wouldn't do it unless it is a 22 and even then I would be skeptical. Imagine simply hitting the grip at a weird angle and the screw breaking.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ahrion:  I wouldn't do it unless it is a 22 and even then I would be skeptical. Imagine simply hitting the grip at a weird angle and the screw breaking.
View Quote

Then the pistol grip falls off, safety detent falls out, rifle's still functional.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Then the pistol grip falls off, safety detent falls out, rifle's still functional.
View Quote

I mean if you're considering using a nylon pistol grip screw I doubt the weapon you're building is gonna be intended for hard use :) These sub 3.5 lb weapons ain't gonna hold up to hard "duty" use for very long. They're MIGHT be 1 exception that proves the rule.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 4:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlterEgo2] [#40]
Why does pistol grip screw need to be 1/4" (why was it originally spec'd that size?) ? Why not 3/16" or 10-32?
Only saving weight in the diff between less steel & more AL, etc. But was just wondering.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By pscot468:

I mean if you're considering using a nylon pistol grip screw I doubt the weapon you're building is gonna be intended for hard use :) These sub 3.5 lb weapons ain't gonna hold up to hard "duty" use for very long. They're MIGHT be 1 exception that proves the rule.
View Quote

I don't think that's true at all for the ones around 4.5 lbs and above. The tensile strength and corrosion resistance for the 2055 and 2099 in aluminum is much higher than 7075. If you get the 7068 castle nut and the lithium aluminum handguard with a 7068 nut, even with a titanium carrier, the gun will probably outlast any of your stock manufacturer rifles.

Muzzle devices and gas blocks in titanium may show quicker erosion, unless being coated with DLC or ti-nitride.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#42]
So a while back my Tegra lower cracked around the top of the receiver extension threading.  I disassembled it and let it sit, until about a month ago when I found some info on a good plastic weld and I thought well why not try to fix it? Mixed the 2 part plastic weld and carefully applied it inside the crack using a tooth pick and around the outside but not in the threads themselves.  The tricky part was finding a way to hold it open and not further damage the lower.  I used Permatex 84145 Permapoxy Black Plastic Weld (about 10 bucks on amazon). It definitely will melt the plastic surfaces a little so to preserve the threads I wiped off the inside and screwed the buffer tube on and off a couple times while it cured. A day later I reassembled the lower parts, and did a test fit sanding it down till everything fit correctly and I had a good lockup with the upper. So far I've only fired it with a CMMG .22LR conversion kit with no issues. I hope to fire normal ammo through it and report on how it holds up soon.

Long story short it looks like for minor damaged Tegra (and now New Frontier Armory) "carbon fiber" Polymer lowers there is a way to repair them. Glad to have my lightweight rifle back up and running
I also took the opportunity to thread in a set screw for the rear take down pin retaining pin so I could remove the castle nut and rear plate, and modify the smoke composites stock to catch on the buffer retaining pin and safe a few more grams.

Damaged crack before repair

And the Repair:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:12:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: withoutremorse42] [#43]
Rifle is assembled, 3lbs 4.4 ounces.  Still need to find a lighter gas block, can save .5 oz there.  Could use a Ti grip screw and a couple other tony parts, but I don't think I'll get sub 3 lbs unless I can get a sand cut BCG and an adjustable GB that doesn't increase the weight saved by the sand cut BCG

ETA shown in loose assembly, the buttstock wasn't tightened on yet.  Test fire soon.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Rifle is assembled, 3lbs 4.4 ounces.  Still need to find a lighter gas block, can save .5 oz there.  Could use a Ti grip screw and a couple other tony parts, but I don't think I'll get sub 3 lbs unless I can get a sand cut BCG and an adjustable GB that doesn't increase the weight saved by the sand cut BCG

ETA shown in loose assembly, the buttstock wasn't tightened on yet.  Test fire soon.

https://i.imgur.com/2WpSZUah.jpg
View Quote

Which gas block and BCG are you currently running?

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:35:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#45]
I feel bad about my 6 lb hog now, with everyone reaching into the 3s and 4s.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#46]
You showed the way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By j_cobbers:
So a while back my Tegra lower cracked around the top of the receiver extension threading.  I disassembled it and let it sit, until about a month ago when I found some info on a good plastic weld and I thought well why not try to fix it? Mixed the 2 part plastic weld and carefully applied it inside the crack using a tooth pick and around the outside but not in the threads themselves.  The tricky part was finding a way to hold it open and not further damage the lower.  I used Permatex 84145 Permapoxy Black Plastic Weld (about 10 bucks on amazon). It definitely will melt the plastic surfaces a little so to preserve the threads I wiped off the inside and screwed the buffer tube on and off a couple times while it cured. A day later I reassembled the lower parts, and did a test fit sanding it down till everything fit correctly and I had a good lockup with the upper. So far I've only fired it with a CMMG .22LR conversion kit with no issues. I hope to fire normal ammo through it and report on how it holds up soon.

Long story short it looks like for minor damaged Tegra (and now New Frontier Armory) "carbon fiber" Polymer lowers there is a way to repair them. Glad to have my lightweight rifle back up and running
I also took the opportunity to thread in a set screw for the rear take down pin retaining pin so I could remove the castle nut and rear plate, and modify the smoke composites stock to catch on the buffer retaining pin and safe a few more grams.

Damaged crack before repair

And the Repair:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
View Quote

I would suggest a thumbhole stock to reinforce a plastic lower unless you're going to stick to .22 LR.  Hera is the lightest on the market that I know of.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:08:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Mustang-Man:

View Quote

If I remember offhand (I've swapped a lot of parts on many rifles last few days) the gas block is the V7 Ti at .68oz.  The BCG is the 2A RBC Ti at 5.95 oz.

Just tossed on the suppressor today, it's at 4lbs .4 ounces.  I want to get 3.99 lbs with suppressor and red dot...  It's achievable, I just have to get creative.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#49]

If I remember offhand (I've swapped a lot of parts on many rifles last few days) the gas block is the V7 Ti at .68oz.  The BCG is the 2A RBC Ti at 5.95 oz.

Just tossed on the suppressor today, it's at 4lbs .4 ounces.  I want to get 3.99 lbs with suppressor and red dot...  It's achievable, I just have to get creative.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Master of Arms titanium adjustable titanium gas block is a hair lighter. Only other option for BCG would be a JP ultra low mass aluminum carrier which should drop another couple ounces.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Master of Arms titanium adjustable titanium gas block is a hair lighter. Only other option for BCG would be a JP ultra low mass aluminum carrier which should drop another couple ounces.
View Quote

I've held a JP aluminum carrier.  It's crazy light.
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top