Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2014 8:41:15 AM EDT
My AR has an issue were after about two mags (60rds) it'll start misfeeding were the bolt will scrape along the top of the next round. I'll clear that and after around 20 more rds it'll get to the point were the BCG doesn't even pull back at all after firing. Pulling on the charger will eject the round and reload the next one but after each shot I have to manually charge and fire.

It's well lubed and cleaned with about a total of 600 rds through it. The gas key is tight and I've tried different magazines. The most baffling thing about this to me is that the weapon fires fine when relatively cold but as it heats up the conditions get worse to the point that the BCG doesn't move at all when fired.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#1]

I've seen cam pins out of spec that would cause issues when the gun heats up, but never a complete lack of unlock. Is it physically hard/more resistent to cycle by hand when its hot?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a quick question. What kind of rifle is it and are the receivers aluminum or polymer?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]
No, I didn't feel an increase in resistance throughout. And I couldn't find any obvious signs of wear and it was still well lubed (slip 2000) after it degrades into "single shot mode".

The cam pin, is that the cotter pin on the side of the BCG holding the firing pin in place? A buddy of mine suggested that might be the problem and to check it for loseness but it feels snug and has resistance when pulling it out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, I didn't feel an increase in resistance throughout. And I couldn't find any obvious signs of wear and it was still well lubed (slip 2000) after it degrades into "single shot mode".

The cam pin, is that the cotter pin on the side of the BCG holding the firing pin in place? A buddy of mine suggested that might be the problem and to check it for loseness but it feels snug and has resistance when pulling it out.
View Quote
No the cam pin is the pin that goes through the bolt and "cams" in the slot on top of the carrier.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No the cam pin is the pin that goes through the bolt and "cams" in the slot on top of the carrier.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, I'm not sure how to know if it's out of spec, but the top square portion does spin awfully easily, to me at least, like it's loose. I don't have another bcg to compare it to.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ah, I'm not sure how to know if it's out of spec, but the top square portion does spin awfully easily, to me at least, like it's loose. I don't have another bcg to compare it to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But reading up on what the cam pin does I don't think this is the problem. After the rifle heats up the bolt doesn't move back at all when fired, the whole bcg stays in place. If I then pull back on the charger the bolt comes back and the cartridge ejects normally. It appears to be a gas related issue
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Possibly worn gas rings...
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmm, I did the stand it on end test and the bolt stayed in place. As I understand it that means that the rings are okay. I'll break it apart and visually verify them as well. Thank you
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hmm, I did the stand it on end test and the bolt stayed in place. As I understand it that means that the rings are okay. I'll break it apart and visually verify them as well. Thank you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Broken rings can make it bind and pass the test as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Out of spec barrel chamber?  What type of rifle or upper is it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#11]
its in the gas system

usually a gas block can expand, the gas key might leak a little, or gas rings lose too much.

I would check the gas key, see if one of the screws has broken (only can tell if it twist or not)

Gas block check the set screws if it has them, clean the block and look for leaks,

do the gas ring check

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Out of spec barrel chamber?  What type of rifle or upper is it?
View Quote

Lower is a S&W M&P 15 alumnium. Upper is a JSE Surplus 16" HBAR

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I found the problem. I'm new to the AR platform and didn't know how to, or that I should, remove the bolt from the BCG. The bolt was sticking when I pushed it in and out with my fingers. Once I pulled the bolt out, scrubbed it and the interior of the carrier (which both had build up), then aligned, or more correctly misaligned the O rings, the bolt operates smoothly, it'll stand on end without dropping but it has a nice smooth movement instead of catching. I'm confident that the weapon will fire properly now.

Thanks to BB, drop11, TaylorWSO for your help
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top