Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2014 10:39:06 PM EDT
Where can I sell my Preban AR15 to?  Yes, I know that the fed AWB expired in 2004 but there are still some states that have AWB in place.

I have a Preban Colt Competition H-BAR in 5.56 with FH, bayonet lug, collapsable stock.
Preban Colt AR15 9mm.

These are factory assembled rifles and I do have the letters from Colt indicating them as Preban (paid Colt a few bucks awhile ago for them to research the status of these rifles). Both have the metal block in the lower receiver (above the safety). They are in excellent condition.

What is the current fair market values?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the gun auctions sites to get an idea of what your Pre-Ban Colts are worth.

I believe that there are four other States besides CA that still recognize Pre-Ban rifles.  Unfortunately, it's illegal to import them into CA.  I think the other States may all be in the Northeast.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Where can I sell my Preban AR15 to?  Yes, I know that the fed AWB expired in 2004 but there are still some states that have AWB in place.

I have a Preban Colt Competition H-BAR in 5.56 with FH, bayonet lug, collapsable stock.
Preban Colt AR15 9mm.

These are factory assembled rifles and I do have the letters from Colt indicating them as Preban (paid Colt a few bucks awhile ago for them to research the status of these rifles). Both have the metal block in the lower receiver (above the safety). They are in excellent condition.

What is the current fair market values?

View Quote

There is only one state where pre-ban means anything anymore. It is either Massachusetts or Maryland, but I cannot remember which. As for value, perhaps check the EE.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:12:01 AM EDT
[#3]
It is Massachusetts cause I am stuck in it! Preban Colts are around $1500 here but I've seen them as low as $1200 recently depending on condition.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:43:50 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want an appraisal ask here:

Retro Appraisal Thread

Might not be 100% retro but they can help you out

As for selling try the EE or like someone else said an auction site like gunbroker.

Also pics
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The 1994 Crime Bill really muddied up the waters.

For a decade, AR's with flash suppressors, bayonet lugs, and folding stocks were the darling of collectors, now all those rifles are ordinary or sub-par compared to what we can buy or build every day of the week.

In todays market, I'll be surprised if you get as much or more for them than a new rifle costs.

In 2002 when I bought my first AR I looked at everything, and I narrowed it down to the Armalite, the Colt, and the Bushmaster, and I didn't buy the Colt because of the chopped bolt carrier, and the pin sizes, so I went with the Bushy, mainly because it was the one everybody recommended then.

I'd keep them, shoot them, and enjoy them.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:20:02 AM EDT
[#6]
"Pre-ban" doesn't mean anything these days, except in 1-2 states.  In some cases, such as California, it actually hurts your cause because it's old enough to be on the banned list and therefore newer is better.  With how common ARs are nowadays, it will be harder to sell -most people want the detachable carry handles and all the "newer" stuff.  I'd look into selling it to a NRA high power shooter or a Colt collector.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top