BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/19/2014 11:13:58 AM EDT
I just installed one of these SSA-E triggers new and I must say that the Rock River Match trigger I have on one of my other AR'S has a much smoother pull and break. Unless this thing breaks in substantially after I take it to the range probably going to replace it. The SSA-E first stage takes up but then I get a little creep before the second stage breaks. Is this nornal with this trigger?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no creep with mine.  It breaks very cleanly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just installed one of these SSA-E triggers new and I must say that the Rock River Match trigger I have on one of my other AR'S has a much smoother pull and break. Unless this thing breaks in substantially after I take it to the range probably going to replace it. The SSA-E first stage takes up but then I get a little creep before the second stage breaks. Is this nornal with this trigger?
View Quote

im going to go out on a limb here.  I dont think creep or grittiness is supposed to be in the same thought as the SSA-E.  Maybe cycle it while watching a movie and see if it breaks in.  If not, call Geissele
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#3]
My SSA-E was a little meh at first, but it has improved a lot with a couple hundred pulls.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd call Geissele.  My SSA-E has a smooth first stage.  Second stage is crisp - no creep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you lubricate it per the instructions?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes I did lubricate it per instructions with the enclosed supplied lube.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Start a thread in there Industry section and they will take care of you. Great CS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks I will. I emailed them with the issue today and I will report back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Also consider trying it in more than one lower.  Maybe pin holes are a little off or at extreme end of tolerances in that lower.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Your experience with the SSA-E should be nothing but great.  The Geissele folks will get you straight.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're not impressed then there's something wrong with something.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#12]
The greatest improvement in Geissele triggers that I have used happens inside of 100 cycles. After that, there is no noticeable improvement. I am a huge fan and advocate of Geissele triggers, but the Super Semi line is less than impressive to me and most of the customers we have sold them to. We took a beating on our first order with returns and discounting those as used triggers. If someone wants one, we tell them to buy it elsewhere. We only carry the DMR based, SD based, and S3G units now, which are absolutely impressive and the finest triggers you can buy, IMO and many others. I'd sooner just run a lightly worked standard trigger and some yellow JP springs if I couldn't run one of the better Geisseles (Hi-Speed/DMR, SD line, S3G....).

evl....

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#13]
my redundant and unhelpful reply:

I have both triggers you mentioned.   If the SSA is not immediately noticeably better than the RRA something is wrong.  Either installed wrong, something is dirty or in the trigger sear areas, or defective.    I don't like to cheerlead, but the SSA is/should be nothing but greatness.

Post pics of foreign object in trigger group
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I have three SSA's and one SSA-E in my rifles, My SSA-E is by far the cleanest breaking of the four, no creep whatsoever in mine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I wasn't overly impressed with the ssa at first but since I have been shooting it for awhile it has gotten way nicer. I don't think I would want a trigger any lighter for my "go to" rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#16]
No foreign objects in trigger group. It's brand new.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks evlblkwpnz. I'll wait to see what Geissele says. I did also buy a DMR to install on my .308.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my redundant and unhelpful reply:

I have both triggers you mentioned.   If the SSA is not immediately noticeably better than the RRA something is wrong.  Either installed wrong, something is dirty or in the trigger sear areas, or defective.    I don't like to cheerlead, but the SSA is/should be nothing but greatness.

Post pics of foreign object in trigger group
View Quote

Thanks. It was unhelpful.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#19]
My SSA (not Enhanced) blows away the trigger that was in my 6920...but neither the SSA nor the SSA-E are a match trigger.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Your experience with the SSA-E should be nothing but great.  The Geissele folks will get you straight.

View Quote

I just put a SSA-E in my BCM RECCE last week & boy am I impressed!
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Creep? SSA-E??? WHHHAAAAAT? Try a hundred rounds or so and then call if it doesn't improve. Triggers are just like barrels sometimes. Just wondering, hows reliability? no light primmer strikes or anything right?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Creep? SSA-E??? WHHHAAAAAT? Try a hundred rounds or so and then call if it doesn't improve. Triggers are just like barrels sometimes. Just wondering, hows reliability? no light primmer strikes or anything right?
View Quote

Just installed it today. Have not been to the range. I did dry fire it about 150 times today though and no better. Depending on what Geissele says I may just get rid of it anyway and reinstali the original Stag Varmint match trigger which is much better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Most complaints I've heard of, usually ended once they took it out and shot it. Either way if there is a problem Geissele will take care of it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I have two SSA-E's.  One was stellar out of the package.  The second was "meh."  I lubed it and ran a hundred or so rounds through it and it was as good as the other.  Shoot it a little first and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a SSA that had a bit of movement before it would brake. After shooting it a bit I can no longer feel it.
It it doesn't smooth out on its own let Geissele take care of you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Must be something wrong with that trigger. Both my SSA-E's felt the same out of the box as 500 rounds later ( as far as I can tell anyway) no creep , very smooth with a clean break. I would contact Geissele. I cant rationalize grit in the trigger but those RRA's can be very different. I felt a well worn RRA 2 stage that felt very smooth and broke very nicely at about 3 lbs ( felt lighter than my SSA-E anyway).
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'd call Geissele.  My SSA-E has a smooth first stage.  Second stage is crisp - no creep.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I would put a couple of rounds through it but if it doesn't improve call.  For a trigger that cost that much you should get exactly what you want and that's Geissele's feelings as well from my dealings with them.  On the other hand, one of the reasons that Geissele's triggers are so good because they are so consistent in their quality, yes I realize this comment is ironic on this topic, but you might just want to go back to you RRA trigger.  Some RRA trigger are fantastic, others are not so much, I think it's the inconsistencies of their triggers that kills them.

Sometimes you just get married to a part that fits you.  For example, I have lowers from KAC, BCM, and Noveske but the one that I feel the most comfortable with is a Palmetto lower......I could never tell you why.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#29]
They are great to their customers and I am curious as to what is said about it. Due to the timing of it (early 2013), we really didn't have any other options than to refund their money and take a hit or upgrade them and take a hit. I think part of the problem for us was that a lot of new AR owners, who owned pistols with great triggers (worked 1911s, etc.), did research and it appears, at first, that any Geissele trigger will give them that "Wow! What a vast improvement and awesome trigger" experience. The DMR based models, S3G, and SD models do deliver that "WOW!" experience and are well worth the extra money. The SSA and SSA-E, not so much, IMO. Not that they aren't good triggers, but the experience just isn't good enough when compared to a lightly refined standard trigger with JP springs to condone the expense. It may not be what many want to hear, but that is how I see it. I can't help but wonder if the people who love the SSA models have spent much time with the other higher end Geissele triggers.  

evl....

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#30]
The SSA-E is still a combat trigger and isn't meant to have benchrest characteristics. When you buy a Geissele SS or SD, you're buying a trigger that can handle a high round count without wearing down the engagement points much over time. They're still remarkably better in terms of feel to a stock trigger but there are other triggers out there that are lighter and have a shorter reset.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

They are great to their customers and I am curious as to what is said about it. Due to the timing of it (early 2013), we really didn't have any other options than to refund their money and take a hit or upgrade them and take a hit. I think part of the problem for us was that a lot of new AR owners, who owned pistols with great triggers (worked 1911s, etc.), did research and it appears, at first, that any Geissele trigger will give them that "Wow! What a vast improvement and awesome trigger" experience. The DMR based models, S3G, and SD models do deliver that "WOW!" experience and are well worth the extra money. The SSA and SSA-E, not so much, IMO. Not that they aren't good triggers, but the experience just isn't good enough when compared to a lightly refined standard trigger with JP springs to condone the expense. It may not be what many want to hear, but that is how I see it. I can't help but wonder if the people who love the SSA models have spent much time with the other higher end Geissele triggers.  

evl....

View Quote

I have to disagree. I added JP yellows to my Colt trigger, which was a huge improvement (pull went from ~8 pounds to about 5). However, I then got a SSA from Bill and Amy themselves at Camp Perry during a match, and it's a huge improvement over the previous setup. Everyone that I've let shoot my rifle comments on my trigger, and these are not just your "Average Joe's" at the range; rather people with some time on a trigger like my USMC buddies, service rifle shooters, etc.

As for the OP. If you are not happy in the least, call Geissele. I'd bet my dinner (homemade chicken noodle soup tonight) they will take care of you.

Good luck.

p.s. I have used a Hi-speed DMR in the past, and I just picked up said trigger at SHOT. I can't wait to get some range time with it.

ETA: grammar

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have to disagree. I added JP yellows to my Colt trigger, which was a huge improvement (pull went from ~8 pounds to about 5). However, I then got a SSA from Bill and Amy themselves at Camp Perry during a match, and it's a huge improvement over the previous setup. Everyone that I've let shoot my rifle comments on my trigger, and these are not just your "Average Joe's" at the range; rather people with some time on a trigger like my USMC buddies, service rifle shooters, etc.

As for the OP. If you are not happy in the least, call Geissele. I'd bet my dinner (homemade chicken noodle soup tonight) they will take care of you.

Good luck.

p.s. I have used a Hi-speed DMR in the past, and I just picked up said trigger at SHOT. I can't wait to get some range time with it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

evl....

Good luck.

I'm with Muad on this.  I don't have experience with the Hi-Speed, but I have shot several SSA's and the SSA-E.  I also have a rifle with a ACT trigger with the JP yellow spring kit.  The ACT/JP combo is considerably lighter and smoother than any stock trigger, but it is far less crisp and predictable/repeatable/controllable under stress than an SSA.  I also have doubts about the yellow hammer spring's reliability with hard rifle primers.  I use that combination only in a 9mm rifle for that reason.

I have a hard time believing people shooting stock AR triggers didn't have a "wow that's so much better" reaction after comparing a stock trigger to an SSA.  The difference is not subtle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Must be something wrong with that trigger. Both my SSA-E's felt the same out of the box as 500 rounds later ( as far as I can tell anyway) no creep , very smooth with a clean break. I would contact Geissele. I cant rationalize grit in the trigger but those RRA's can be very different. I felt a well worn RRA 2 stage that felt very smooth and broke very nicely at about 3 lbs ( felt lighter than my SSA-E anyway).
View Quote

agree

the trigger is not going to change after 500 rounds and should be spot on right out of the box.

group think and inaccuracies is strong here
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

The creep is not normal, and i've used 5 different SSA and SSA-E triggers.  All were clean and crisp right out of the box (er...bag)

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

evl....

View Quote

I bought the SSA-E because its characteristics suited my uses better than an ultra short and light competition trigger. If I was in a controlled competition environment like competion shooting I would opt for for SG3. Speaking for myself , I feel a HUGE difference between a milspec trigger and a marked improvement over the ALG (even with yellow springs) with the SSA-E
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#36]
I have an E on the way. We will see how it compares to the regular SSAs I already own.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The creep is not normal, and i've used 5 different SSA and SSA-E triggers.  All were clean and crisp right out of the box (er...bag)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

I have a G2S; the bargain basement model. Zero creep, and breaks exactly as described (like a carrot).

The OP should contact Geissele if he hasn't done so already. Something is wrong, either with the trigger or the installation.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

agree

the trigger is not going to change after 500 rounds and should be spot on right out of the box.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agree

MY SSA-E improved after use.  I can not speak for anyone else.  No group think or inaccuracies as far as my SSA-E is concerned.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have three SSA's and one SSA-E in my rifles, My SSA-E is by far the cleanest breaking of the four, no creep whatsoever in mine.
View Quote

Have one of each-outstanding!  Absolutely great- crisp and no creep. The super gun SG3 and SD3 triggers are lighter and shoot faster but you have to really be a disciplined shooter not to fire off a shot inadvertently. Maybe the OP wants a single stage trigger like on a bolt action rifle?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#40]
i wont own an AR without a geissele, I have an SSA, SSA-E, and SD3G. all awesome and for different purposes. I have the SSA-E in my MK12, and like others here, i was nothing but impressed, so either something is wrong with you, or get on the horn with bill and diagnose
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'm with Muad on this.  I don't have experience with the Hi-Speed, but I have shot several SSA's and the SSA-E.  I also have a rifle with a ACT trigger with the JP yellow spring kit.  The ACT/JP combo is considerably lighter and smoother than any stock trigger, but it is far less crisp and predictable/repeatable/controllable under stress than an SSA.  I also have doubts about the yellow hammer spring's reliability with hard rifle primers.  I use that combination only in a 9mm rifle for that reason.

I have a hard time believing people shooting stock AR triggers didn't have a "wow that's so much better" reaction after comparing a stock trigger to an SSA.  The difference is not subtle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

evl....

Good luck.

FWIW, I ran the yellows for a two day match running IMI M855, and I had zero issues. That trigger setup (Colt/JP Yellow) is now in my wife's rifle, which has seen about 100-150 rounds of IMI M855, and a couple hundred rounds with the .22LR upper.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The greatest improvement in Geissele triggers that I have used happens inside of 100 cycles. After that, there is no noticeable improvement. I am a huge fan and advocate of Geissele triggers, but the Super Semi line is less than impressive to me and most of the customers we have sold them to. We took a beating on our first order with returns and discounting those as used triggers. If someone wants one, we tell them to buy it elsewhere. We only carry the DMR based, SD based, and S3G units now, which are absolutely impressive and the finest triggers you can buy, IMO and many others. I'd sooner just run a lightly worked standard trigger and some yellow JP springs if I couldn't run one of the better Geisseles (Hi-Speed/DMR, SD line, S3G....).

evl....

View Quote

Interesting......I've had my heart set on the SSA-E trigger for installation on my AR-10(T), which I will be using for precision bench-rest shooting. But from what you're saying, it sounds like the Super Dynamic Enhanced (SDE) is a better choice...???
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

evl....

View Quote

I'm a little confused by your post.

Isn't the SSA the same as the SD-C, just with a curved trigger, and isn't the SSA-E the same as the SD-E, just with a curved trigger? Was not aware that there where any internal differences that made the SD-C or SD-E any better.

OP.....I put a SD-E in my rifle and it has been smooth and crisp right from the start. Hopefully, and I'm pretty sure they will, Geissele will take care of you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No foreign objects in trigger group. It's brand new.
View Quote

I would contact them. They have as good customer service as the best manufacturers in the industry.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

180 deg for our experience when it comes to returns.  Customers who have an issue will get taken care of.  No need to contact the reseller.  Go directly to our shop.
View Quote

That is why I did not hesitate to buy an SSA,  I found a great deal on one and emailed Geissele to ask about warranty work and they responded:

All of our triggers have a lifetime warranty regardless of which vendor you purchase from. If there is ever an issue with the trigger, just give us a call.

I was sold...and have not been disappointed.  As noted on the prior page, my SSA blows away my stock trigger...and I cannot imagine anyone being "less then impressed" with the difference.  The stock Colt trigger was heavy, gritty, and had a massive amount of creep.  The second stage on my SSA may not be an icicle break, but it seems like it to me based on what I had before.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

MY SSA-E improved after use.  I can not speak for anyone else.  No group think or inaccuracies as far as my SSA-E is concerned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agree

most likely you got used to it or failed to notice the difference after use....respectfully
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

most likely you got used to it or failed to notice the difference after use....respectfully
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agree

nope
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:31:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agree

This.  The parts are hardened tool steel.  They don't "break in".  Perhaps the guy with a subjective believe otherwise did not lube it properly and the lube finally got to where it was needed?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top