Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/12/2013 8:52:03 AM EDT
Just joined the forum but have been browsing for the last few days.  Tons of info out there and y'all seem very helpful!  I, like many of you I'm sure, am seeing the writing on the walls that our political heroes in Washington will eventually decide that the "evil assault rifle" should be banned again.  I want to start building now, but I just don't have the funds.  I'm thinking of buying a stripped lower now, and starting to buy mags when I can.  My question is, what other parts will be most likely affected by a ban?  I would guess barrels would still most likely be available, but not sure about bcg, handgaurds, etc.  If you were having to slowly buy parts as you could afford them, what parts would you buy first.  Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a lower receiver, many magazines, a BCG and a barrel and you will be just fine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a lower receiver, many magazines, a BCG and a barrel and you will be just fine.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I built a rifle during during the panic and lowers, magazines and BCGs were the hardest to find in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone priced out an AR from parts during the black Friday sales @ $380, including shipping & FFL fees.  Buy your lower, then troll the EE, go to gun shows, pawn shops, gunsmiths - pick up used parts.

You might already have a stock on hand:

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortthumbhole/effortThumbhole.html
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This the mags will be first to go IMO. They have already decided you don't need firearms now they are just waiting for another Manchurian candidate to do something evil
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I essentially did the same thing.  What worked for me was to pick up the pricey stuff first, then as it was purchansed I could accelerate the build as the parts I needed got less and less expensive.  Personally I'd start with a matched upper and lower, they feel so much better when they fit nicely together.  Not a functional issue, but if you've used solid guns, bolt actions especially, it can be disconcerting when there is some slop there.  Next, to have something to do and push you to go further, get your lower parts.  You get those functioning and you just HAVE to keep going at that point.  From there, as previously stated, barrel and BCG.  Then stock, handguard, and things get cheaper from there (unless, like me, you're building a full ambi gun).  At this point you have something that looks like a gun, and the grip, charging handle, and gas block are in order.  That leaves your gas tube (if you're going direct impingement and not piston), a muzzle device, some sights, and some ammo.  Surely I've missed something (memebers fill in the blanks here) but you're pretty close to blowing money on ammo at that point.  

If I were to have any "sage" words of unsolicited advice, buy the best quality everything that you can afford.  I found it best to build it the way I wanted it, not the way someone might think I did.  Therefore, all the "upgrades" are the original parts themselves.  I saw no sense in buying basic anything knowing I'd probably uprade it later anyway.  You don't have to buy all Larue/DD/Noveske/LWRC stuff to have a quality piece either.  Those are ALL great makers, and any parts you might get from them will be premium and of the highest quality made, you just don't have to break the bank to get really good parts is all I'm saying.  Hey, if money is no object I'm going F'n NUTS with the build, but it was for me, so for considerably less $$$ than any of the those listed I think I built something of near their quality and is a piston gun.  If you want a build list of what's in mine let me know and I'll post it and you will be able to see where I saved money but didn't give up much.

On that note welcome and good luck with the build.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  I'm going to start buying when I can shortly.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the lower you want and then a lower parts kit, mags are next and if you have at least a few you feel a little better. Then the BCG is next most important, get a good one m16 and PSA had a spikes for 109 a few days ago. The rest should be available even in a panic. Almost forgot, buy ammo when you see a deal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I am in the same boat here.  I just ordered 2 stripped lowers from PSA knowing that they will be worth a whole lot more than I paid for them some day. I have also started buying some 30 round PMags at my local farm supply for $12 each.  Sounds like I need to start saving up for BCGs and ammo now.

Good luck on your build!  Hopefully we are preparing for nothing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
BCG's and mags were the hardest to find for me. I would love to stockpile stripped lowers, but every one turns into another gun. Be careful it addicting. You can't build just one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top