Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2013 11:09:00 AM EDT
I was never interested in AR's until the antis told me I couldn't be trusted with one. So as soon as there was a break in the panic, I bought a S&W M&P15 Sport, since it was the best bang for the buck and was available. I paid a little too much at $730 (especially since they stopped making it with the 5R barrel, dammit), but at the time the future was too uncertain to screw around.

I really wanted a midlength, though, and when DSG Arms had Spikes midlengths for a ridiculous $399 before Thanksgiving, I jumped. Fit and finish perfectly matched the S&W lower. It's simple, but I dig it. At a total of $1130 I got a sweet middy and a spare upper, which of course I used for a budget build. Yeah, I guess I'm hooked.

I figure the "M&P15" stands for "Midlength & Perfect" now.

PS - the carry handle is BCM. I like irons. And the bayonet is to make Diane Feinstein cry.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice rifle.  S&W also offers their own mid-length on their "Magpul MOE" rifle.  I think it is one of the few mid lengths they offer.  I commend you for going with the full carry handle, as I am an irons guy myself!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks real good, did a similar thing with my Sport.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Tapco stock?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#4]
BAYONETS!  The word was enough...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice.  Thanks for posting.

I think that is a good combo - Spikes & Wesson!  Ha ha.

I sort of have the same thing but with a carbine barrel.  It's a S&W lower with Spikes Tactical M4 upper and a CMMG 16" M4LE barrel.  I have a lo pro gas block and am running a DD MFR 12.0 rail over the barrel.  For these purposes, I'll omit description of the furniture beyond that it is mostly Magpul.

I would have preferred a middy 16, but the carbine barrel was all I could get in melonite at the time of the build, and I wanted that treatment on this barrel.  It's worked out great for me.   And the "plus" is that it's registered for  FFL transfer as a Smith and Wesson.  Despite the high quality rifles from many very good companies, the S&W name, even as a late entry to "black guns"  does have some clout come resale time, if I were ever to do so.  S&W seems to have done their homework well on the lower.  I did upgrade the trigger, which seemed generally good, but well above expected pull weight.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tapco stock?
View Quote

Nah, that's the original S&W. It's got a slip-over rubber buttpad on it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was never interested in AR's until the antis told me I couldn't be trusted with one. So as soon as there was a break in the panic, I bought a S&W M&P15 Sport, since it was the best bang for the buck and was available. I paid a little too much at $730 (especially since they stopped making it with the 5R barrel, dammit), but at the time the future was too uncertain to screw around.

I really wanted a midlength, though, and when DSG Arms had Spikes midlengths for a ridiculous $399 before Thanksgiving, I jumped. Fit and finish perfectly matched the S&W lower. It's simple, but I dig it. At a total of $1130 I got a sweet middy and a spare upper, which of course I used for a budget build. Yeah, I guess I'm hooked.

I figure the "M&P15" stands for "Midlength & Perfect" now.

PS - the carry handle is BCM. I like irons. And the bayonet is to make Diane Feinstein cry.

<a href="http://s173.photobucket.com/user/schizuki/media/Spikesmiddy_zps9e983c4d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/schizuki/Spikesmiddy_zps9e983c4d.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s173.photobucket.com/user/schizuki/media/Spikesmiddy2_zpsbb508cd0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/schizuki/Spikesmiddy2_zpsbb508cd0.jpg</a>

View Quote

Do you mean $499 or did you get some kind of discount?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Most likely a black Friday special of $399 for the stripped upper.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice weapon O.P , love the K.I.S.S concept and the integrated trigger guard on the S&W lower is a nice touch.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:06:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most likely a black Friday special of $399 for the stripped upper.
View Quote

Nope. $399 for a complete upper. I whipped out my credit card so quick it almost melted from the atmospheric friction.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:59:07 AM EDT
[#11]
nice and simple.

toss a light on there and call it a day.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:06:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you shot the rifle yet?  If so, you're probably better off throwing that rubber pad away...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I like both Smith and Spikes products, I barely missed out on the DSG deal on black Friday or I would have had another Spikes middy. Nice looking rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top