BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2013 7:55:31 PM EDT
So I have two different rifles in need of replacement triggers and I am set on Geissele. However, I cannot choose between the SSA, SSA-E, or their other offerings so I thought I'd ask y'all (the professionals) as to which one you would recommend for my two rifles:

Rifle 1: -BCM 16" Middy (Daniel Defense complete lower) 5.56x45 with an EOTech 517...

-Primary Use: home defense & patrol rifle typically shooting at 20-250 yards

Rifle 2: -Daniel Defense 16" Middy 5.56x45 with a Trijicon ACOG 4X32 (sometimes an Elcan SpecterOS)

-Primary Use: patrol rifle when I run security for my cousin's ranch in Arizona (on the border) typically shooting from 100-450 yards.

Anyone with personal experience please chime in.

Thanks for the help guys.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
SSA
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SSA
View Quote

For both rifles?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a SDC on three of my rifles. Took a little getting used to but now I hate using any non flat triggers.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, SSA for both of those rifles. I don't own but I've used the SSA and I plan on purchasing one soon for my 14.5" carbine. I have the SSA-E on my 18" SPR and it's freaking sweet. Scary smooth and light and breaks like glass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, SSA for both of those rifles. I don't own but I've used the SSA and I plan on purchasing one soon for my 14.5" carbine. I have the SSA-E on my 18" SPR and it's freaking sweet. Scary smooth and light and breaks like glass.
View Quote

So why would I want to go with the SSA over the SSA-E?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
They are both very nice. I like the SSA-E better but only by a little.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are both very nice. I like the SSA-E better but only by a little.
View Quote

Why is that? I know the trigger pull is a bit lighter but other than that why would you choose one over the other (SSA vs SSA-E)?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I run the SSA in my 10.5" SBR, 14.5", and 18" SPR.  Very solid trigger, and very solid company.  No experience with the SSA-E.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The man himself recommends SSA over SSA-E for duty use
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have nothing but SSAs and SSA-Es in every single one of my ARs.

For me, if the rig sports a magnified optic, it has an SSA-E. If it sports a red dot, it has an SSA.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who's the man?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The man himself is trying to avoid lawsuits or speaking generally as he knows that not every consumer who visits his site to purchase a trigger is going to have adequate training, trigger control and discipline.

Frankly, while I do have SSAs on my red dot equipped rigs, it's solely because I don't precision shoot much with my red dots.

With that said, I have an SSA-E in my SR-15 Carbine with a 1-4x optic, and it's my SHTF rifle. There's no world or scenario where I accidentally discharge an SSA-E where I wouldn't with an SSA as well.

Frankly, there's nothing too light about an SSA-E if you are comfortable with an SSA. To me, the SSA-E is just as good of an all around trigger.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Bill geissele
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Why not just go for something different and get the Super Tricon?

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I run 3 SSA-e and one SD3G ( my dedicated 3 gun rifle VERY light trigger very fast follow ups but for a combat rifle not sure if I would recommend it)
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This! The SSA-E is a bit lighter than I would want on a carbine, combat, battle rifle. "The SSA is a non-adjustable combat trigger that performs like a match-grade two-stage trigger and allows precise and accurate trigger control. It is recommended for demanding applications such as Squad Designated Marksman (SDM) rifles, Law Enforcement use, and Close Quarters Battle (CQB) and mid-range carbine work"
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This! The SSA-E is a bit lighter than I would want on a carbine, combat, battle rifle. "The SSA is a non-adjustable combat trigger that performs like a match-grade two-stage trigger and allows precise and accurate trigger control. It is recommended for demanding applications such as Squad Designated Marksman (SDM) rifles, Law Enforcement use, and Close Quarters Battle (CQB) and mid-range carbine work"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And an SSA-E is just essentially a tad lighter SSA...
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can listen to the fellow who owns the company, knows triggers better than pretty much than everybody else on the planet and has chosen to make specific triggers to serve specific purposes ...

... or you can listen to a group of people on the internet, some of whom express opinions about THEMSELVES and how their high opinion of themselves justifies you doing what they are doing.

There is a 30 minute video on the company website and it has been posted on threads here in the last two weeks as well.

One other consideration, regarding lawsuits ... you can be sued for civil damages by "wronged" third parties who would LOVE for you to have a "hair trigger" in the offending evil black weapon. Juries will NEVER understand the difference between the high end triggers - but they will easily identify a "hair trigger" as showing INTENT on your part to make it far too easy for you to do bad things.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#19]
A 4.5 pound trigger isn't a "hair trigger" but a 3.5 pound trigger is? Ok. I'm glad I just got the weight definition set straight.

As said, it will come down to user preference. Christ, there's people running Geissele S3G triggers on their go-to carbines. They post about it as well. Go stir shit up with them for no good reason now as well.

Would I run an S3G on any defensive carbine? Heck no. But do I realize that a well trained individual with an S3G trigger can do so? Of course. I'd have no interest in even trying that, but frankly, I'm not smug enough to fail to acknowledge that proper training can yield any trigger adequate for all around use.

An SSA-E is just a one pound lighter SSA essentially. Do you really not think that Bill Geiselle's general assessments of his triggers aren't exactly that? Generalized assessments? They know the average Joe who looks into their triggers likely isn't going to be putting several thousand rounds of training and practice into their triggers. They know that the average Joe who purchases their triggers is not some trained disciplined marksmen. For their typical consumer, they won't even notice the difference between an SSA and SSA-E. It's the safer bet.

Do you really believe Bill Geissele would say that his SSA-E can't be a great all around trigger? There's no way he thinks that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:09:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I wrestled with this for awhile.  In the end I went with the SD3G on my main AR, and will probably be getting the same trigger for a dedicated 22 RF build I am putting together.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#21]
G2S, same as SSA and cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Why not just go for something different and get the Super Tricon?

View Quote
Because that thing is a complete gimmick and not work half what they are charging for it.

What is the point of going out and just dumping magazines? Ammo is expensive, forget that noise.

You can get two proven triggers from Bill for the same price or one trigger and a bunch of ammo.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Dude, if you can afford an Elcan you can get the best triggers Geissele makes, get the Super Dynamic 3 gun for your home defense and a Hi speed match for your longer range rifle. Those are the PERFECT triggers for what you want. Nothing against SSA but it is a cheaper trigger, intended to be, and not nearly as crisp as either of the triggers I suggested.

I have had many Geissele triggers, I am kind of a trigger snob, but those are the best. Especially the Hi speed match for longer range applications. It is a beautiful experience.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#24]

One other consideration, regarding lawsuits ... you can be sued for civil damages by "wronged" third parties who would LOVE for you to have a "hair trigger" in the offending evil black weapon. Juries will NEVER understand the difference between the high end triggers - but they will easily identify a "hair trigger" as showing INTENT on your part to make it far too easy for you to do bad things.

View Quote

seriously?

Buy a SSA and SSA-E if you want one lighter than the other.  Buy both the same if you want to train with the same trigger.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#25]
SSA is my recommendation.

SSA-E is a target and long range trigger!  

In a self defense or hunting situation you are likely to want a 2.25 pound break instead of a 1.25 pound break as the first stage is essentially takeup of overtravel at about 2 pounds.

If shooting offhand or in a hurry, I want the SSA.  If supported and I can take my time, the SSA-E is my trigger of choice.

If you guys are all for unwanted discharges before getting on your target when in a tense situation, the SSA-E is going to be pretty easy to do that with if you haven't spent a lot of time on it.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#26]
TriCon on the first rifle and a SSAE on the second. I own both and they are awesome.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm guessing you guys haven't used the SD3G or Hi Speed Match before...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would I want the SD3G over the SSA? They aren't all that different price wise...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why would I want the SD3G over the SSA? They aren't all that different price wise...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't pick a trigger on price, unless you are poor. You pick one for an application.

Those are too totally different triggers, with different applications. I have a few SD3G's, and like them for what they are intended for. Yes I am running one on a Defense rifle.
The HSM is a super trigger for long range shooting.
I'm going to try a SDE next. I really like the flat trigger bow
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#30]
From what I understand, teh S3G has a 3.5 lb pull?, and so does teh ssa-e.  Just no two stage.

So, why would someone say the s3g is not good for a work rifle, but the ssa-e is?

ETA: since there are giesels trigger knowing guys here...
 would it be worth teh cost to pick up a giessele even though I have CMCs?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
seriously?
Buy a SSA and SSA-E if you want one lighter than the other.  Buy both the same if you want to train with the same trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

seriously?

Your advice to the OP is spot on regarding the two triggers and training.
With regard to civil lawsuits - have you ever been involved in a civil law suit?
The standards used to reach verdicts in CIVIL lawsuits is vastly different than the standards in CRIMINAL lawsuits. George Zimmerman is going to learn this lesson the hard way - when the civil lawsuit is adjudicated the jury is going to award Trayvon Martin's family MILLIONS of dollars in damages.
Go find a TRIAL lawyer with thousands of actual hours spent in CIVIL courts if the modification of an AR-15 to use a SUBSTANTIALLY lighter pull trigger would be considered material in wrongful death lawsuit ( be sure to tell the lawyer the SSA is 50% less pull than the 'factory' trigger ) and ask two questions:

1. Will the modification of the rifle to use a MUCH lighter pull trigger be presented by plaintiffs as proof of INTENT to increase the "lethality' of the weapon. (For those of you who are honest with yourselves - ISN'T the intent of the aftermarket trigger  to improve the performance of the rifle?)

2. Would the judge block the plaintiff's lawyer from characterizing the aforementioned after market trigger as a "hair trigger"?  (Doesn't matter what WE think of the term - it matters whether the judge thinks it is a fair characterization - and then remember, the jury is not going to be made up of ARFcommers, the plaintiff's lawyer is going to seek out every anti-gun juror they can pack onto the jury.)

I own AR-15's ... but they are NOT part of my Home Defense plan because they have been substantially modified and I have been involved in CIVIL lawsuits.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Barliman, what am I missing here?

You knock me for being part of "some group of people on the internet" for suggesting that an SSA-E can be an adequate trigger for all-around use...yet it's now spot on advice to recommend both an SSA and SSA-E to the OP? Is that not what my initial post here suggested to the OP? Yes, it is.

You for whatever reason chose to go on some rant about "internet people with high opinions of themselves" purely because I suggested that an SSA-E can be an all-around trigger for a trained individual.

Shit, if you thought that was crazy advice (though it sounds like it's all of a sudden not to you)...I'd love to hear what you think about those individuals who have been suggesting S3G triggers for defensive use. Reality is, I'm sure they suggest that for a reason...because they are all well-trained with S3G triggers, and to them, it's a great all-around and defensive trigger.

Who would've thought! Bill Geissele has gotta be steamed right now! People trained with and got comfortable with one of his triggers outside of his generalized recommended use for it! How dare they!

And originally, the SSA-E was a "hair trigger" that would pack some serious legal ramifications if used in defense...now the SSA is in the same boat as well, eh? Interesting...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#33]
When I'm talking Home defense, I'm talking somebody kicking my door in, and entering my house. I live in the country. It's not like some drunk will mistake my house for his.
I've been through the 40 hour LEO mandatory firearms Training program. I know what I can and can't do.
I'm surely not talking about running out into my yard to blast at someone
Although technically if someone is outside and shooting into your house. You are within your legal right to return fire.
Personally a law suite is the last thing I'm worried about.
Right this second if someone crashed through my door. They would get greeted with a Colt 1911, with 200 gr Gold Dots.
Oh crap, that Colt's been highly modified too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I hear ya, pikie.

I was more just making a point as Barliman seems to think that any use of Geissele triggers outside of the generalized use recommend by Bill on their site is just done by internet couch commandos or something.

Like a guy who is trained to operate a two-stage 4.5 pound trigger is all of a sudden going to be accidentally discharging shots all over the place into innocent bystanders and what not if he steps down to a nearly identical two-stage trigger that's 3.5 pounds.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Barliman, what am I missing here?

You knock me for being part of "some group of people on the internet" for suggesting that an SSA-E can be an adequate trigger for all-around use...yet it's now spot on advice to recommend both an SSA and SSA-E to the OP? Is that not what my initial post here suggested to the OP? Yes, it is.

You for whatever reason chose to go on some rant about "internet people with high opinions of themselves" purely because I suggested that an SSA-E can be an all-around trigger for a trained individual.

Shit, if you thought that was crazy advice (though it sounds like it's all of a sudden not to you)...I'd love to hear what you think about those individuals who have been suggesting S3G triggers for defensive use. Reality is, I'm sure they suggest that for a reason...because they are all well-trained with S3G triggers, and to them, it's a great all-around and defensive trigger.

Who would've thought! Bill Geissele has gotta be steamed right now! People trained with and got comfortable with one of his triggers outside of his generalized recommended use for it! How dare they!

And originally, the SSA-E was a "hair trigger" that would pack some serious legal ramifications if used in defense...now the SSA is in the same boat as well, eh? Interesting...
View Quote

Let's go back and use what your exact words:
The man himself is trying to avoid lawsuits or speaking generally as he
knows that not every consumer who visits his site to purchase a trigger
is going to have adequate training, trigger control and discipline

Frankly, while I do have SSAs on my red dot equipped rigs, it's solely because I don't precision shoot much with my red dots.

With that said, I have an SSA-E in my SR-15 Carbine with a 1-4x
optic, and it's my SHTF rifle. There's no world or scenario where I
accidentally discharge an SSA-E where I wouldn't with an SSA as well.

So your advice to someone who joined last month and has a grand total of 33 posts when he started this thread (and lacking ANY background on experience, capabilities, training, etc of the OP) is to blow off the idea of being guided by the person who KNOWS Geissele triggers better than ANYONE else and you DON'T think you are basing your advice on your "opinions about THEMSELVES YOURSELF and how their YOUR high opinion of themselves YOURSELF justifies you the OP doing what they YOU are doing"???

My advice was:
"You can listen to the fellow who owns the company, knows triggers better
than pretty much than everybody else on the planet and has chosen to
make specific triggers to serve specific purposes"

I didn't recommend or attempt to dissuade the original poster from ANY Geissele trigger choice.

And as for:
"And originally, the SSA-E was a "hair trigger" that would pack some
serious legal ramifications if used in defense...now the SSA is in the
same boat as well, eh? Interesting"

Scroll back up and read my reply to EdgecrusherXES_45 for a more in depth discussion of the term "hair trigger" as it would be likely to be used in a CIVIL court lawsuit alleging "wrongful death".

With respect to Bill Geissele, I'll guarantee he understands the legal point being made. He would even pick up on the fact that I am not referring to ANY of his triggers as being a "hair trigger".

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#36]
For what its worth my just installed Geissele SSA-E (enhanced) measures 4lb pull total.   Its a crisp and fast trigger that uses a full tension hammer spring. . Two stage to target shoot with a single stage type feel for rapid fire.  It may not be for everyone but it seems like an ideal all around compromise trigger for me.  The SSA probably adds a little bit of extra safety for stressful situations.
I've always been a die hard fan of Timney triggers, and they are excellent products, but these Geissele triggers, take things to the next level. They offer choices for every type of shooting.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Just because the OP is new with just 33 posts does not mean he isn't proficient with the AR platform. The way I read his initial post is of someone who is comfortable with the platform, but he is just not set on which Geissele to go with.

I will reiterate, with trigger time, anyone capable of being a quality disciplined shooter can make an SSA-E just as efficient of an all-around trigger as an SSA.

You didn't need to act as if I was making some crazy self absorbed bold claim by going against what Bill Geissele generally recommends his triggers for.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I hear ya, pikie.
I was more just making a point as Barliman seems to think that any use of Geissele triggers outside of the generalized use recommend by Bill on their site is just done by internet couch commandos or something.
Like a guy who is trained to operate a two-stage 4.5 pound trigger is all of a sudden going to be accidentally discharging shots all over the place into innocent bystanders and what not if he steps down to a nearly identical two-stage trigger that's 3.5 pounds.
View Quote

I have had friends in Special Forces over the last 35 years.
NONE of them have EVER downplayed the possibility of an accidental discharge happening to ANYONE including THEMSELVES.
FYI, my 6940 has a High Speed National Match from Geissele in it ... and as I mention above ... it is NOT part of my Home Defense plan.
I've posted several times over the years - I am in the "first a handgun, then a shotgun" group.
YOU want to ignore legal risks? Cool.
But WHY do you feel compelled to belittle usage/risk advice up to the level of a Bill Geissele?

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Frankly, I'm not.

I've told you, I'm sure that Bill Geissele is generalizing when he states his recommended uses for his triggers - I honestly believe this is obvious.

An SSA-E may be too light for some. Shit, an SSA may even be too light for some.

I'll once again repeat that I don't believe for a second that Bill Geissele would even bat an eye if you told him his SSA-E is your perfect all-around trigger. It is just a one pound lighter SSA after all.

Once again, you're focusing on me going against Bill's generalized recommendations, but at least I am doing it with a more apples to apples comparison due to how similar the SSA and SSA-E are.

Others use S3Gs on defensive rifles. That's far more going against Bill's recommendation. But you know what, I'm sure those guys using S3Gs in defensive carbines know their way around that trigger, and opt to run it that way for a reason. Don't think Bill would bat an eye to that either.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

So I have two different rifles in need of replacement triggers and I am set on Geissele. However, I cannot choose between the SSA, SSA-E, or their other offerings so I thought I'd ask y'all (the professionals) as to which one you would recommend for my two rifles:

Rifle 1: -BCM 16" Middy (Daniel Defense complete lower) 5.56x45 with an EOTech 517...

-Primary Use: home defense & patrol rifle typically shooting at 20-250 yards

Rifle 2: -Daniel Defense 16" Middy 5.56x45 with a Trijicon ACOG 4X32 (sometimes an Elcan SpecterOS)

-Primary Use: patrol rifle when I run security for my cousin's ranch in Arizona (on the border) typically shooting from 100-450 yards.

Anyone with personal experience please chime in.

Thanks for the help guys.

View Quote

S3G is what you need for both they have 3.5 trigger pull the SSA has 4.5 the SSA-E has 3.5 ( SSA-E is great for a scoped rifle)

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#41]
This discussion has went off the tracks several posts ago. It is now borderline sillyJust because one chooses to use a trigger for a different purpose than Bill Geissele recommends. Is not belittling the person at all.
You, or anyone can have an AD with anything you shoot.
You'd freak out if you ever shot my Squirrel gun.
Now mind you, I'm a gun person. But I shoot an Anschutz MS-54 Silhouette rifle with a 3.5x10 Lupy on it. That trigger is  2.5 OZ I set it at that 25 years ago.  There is a HAIR trigger.
I can slam that bolt forward as hard as I like. It won't go off. But it's just a single shot 22.
We all make choices in life, and live with them.
If a friend wants to shoot that rifle. I tell them not to touch the trigger till they want to shoot it. Me, I can touch it, and know exactly when it will go off.  Over the years I've shot that rifle more than any other one I own.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#42]
So other than the back and forth bullshit...between the SSA, SSA-E, and the SD3-G, which would be ideal for either of my rifles?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#43]
SD-E if you are even considering a flat bow trigger.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#44]
My only experiences with the Geiselle triggers have been the SD-C trigger. It's a "buy once, cry once" trigger so really you can't go wrong. The SD-C seem to work perfectly for close quarters combat situations. I have ran it and it feels freaking awesome. It behaves very similarly to a 1911 trigger and a tad bit better than the SSA trigger in terms of "perceived" trigger pull.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In a self defense or hunting situation you are likely to want a 2.25 pound break instead of a 1.25 pound break as the first stage is essentially takeup of overtravel at about 2 pounds.

If shooting offhand or in a hurry, I want the SSA.  If supported and I can take my time, the SSA-E is my trigger of choice.

If you guys are all for unwanted discharges before getting on your target when in a tense situation, the SSA-E is going to be pretty easy to do that with if you haven't spent a lot of time on it.  
View Quote

I don't undersrand this. Under pressure I would not use it as a 2 stage at all. Just one swift pull of ghr finger when its time to shoot. Also the first stage will act as a buffer if you are jumpy . Its not like you would be walking around with the first stage taken up waiting to make a shot. That would be pretty damned dumb in my opinion.
If you operate a 2 stage in the way I describe above it as just as safe as any single stage on the market.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Wow, sorry I came back to this thread. What a bunch of over-analytical, "i've got friends in Special Forces" let's go back and re-quote people, know-it-all's.

OP, I would consult directly with Geissele for a trigger that best suits your application and what YOU are looking for. They will be more than helpful without all the rhetoric
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't undersrand this. Under pressure I would not use it as a 2 stage at all. Just one swift pull of ghr finger when its time to shoot. Also the first stage will act as a buffer if you are jumpy . Its not like you would be walking around with the first stage taken up waiting to make a shot. That would be pretty damned dumb in my opinion.
If you operate a 2 stage in the way I describe above it as just as safe as any single stage on the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

If a friend wants to shoot that rifle. I tell them not to touch the trigger till they want to shoot it. Me, I can touch it, and know exactly when it will go off.  Over the years I've shot that rifle more than any other one I own.
View Quote

I have the same approach to anyone wanting to shoot my 6940 and it is a LOT heavier pull than your squirrel gun. If you have ever fired a High Speed National Match, you'll understand why. If you haven't, the best summary I can give is the description I gave of the High Speed National Match in a July thread:
It does what I thought would be impossible for any trigger to do:
Its ONLY feedback to your awareness of the trigger is the slight, consistent pressure on the front pad of your trigger finger.
There is NO creep
There is NO increase in resistance just before the break - NONE
You CANNOT anticipate the break ... it just   h a p p e n s ... you know the rifle has fired by the recoil/report.

I have NO problem with any informed choice a responsible gun owner chooses to make. For me - the High Speed National Match trigger is PERFECTION of what a trigger should be, but I would NEVER recommend it to anyone with less than 5,000 rounds downrange (i.e. they need to be REAL familiar with the platform and how they interact with it) and their being aware of how it is completely different it is from what they are used to using.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#49]
go to Geissele's webpage and click on any of the triggers...there will be a graph near the bottom that outlines the length of pull, weight, and break point.  I like those graphs because I can visually see which trigger has a short or long take-up, if any...how crisp the break is, and also how long the trigger travel is, and the weight of the trigger through the range.
I have 4 SD3Gs and it is NOT crisp, as one of the poster insists.  The pull feels like a slightly long single stage and unpredictable when it breaks...no way crisp as you cannot "feel" a stop or wall tension where going past that point will result in a boom.
On the SSA for instance, you can tell it's a 2-stage where the first pull is somewhat long and soft, then you hit a wall where 2nd stage is.  Pull beyond that wall results in a predictable and CRISP short travel that results in boom.
You can look at the graphs Mr Bill outlines his trigger and get a visual of what I just described, and also how it compares with his other triggers...when you have a visual of how each trigger works, you can email Mr Bill for further details.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#50]
You honestly just need to shoot some rifles with these triggers. A buddy of mine had a SDC and I thought it was ugly, but after using it I fell in love. I now run the geissele flat bows on several rifles, including a SD3G on my defense gun. I plan on a SDE for the next build. The SD3G I am used to and love it on my defense rifle, but I sleep with a CPAP on and probably couldn't hear someone break in.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top