Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2013 5:02:08 PM EDT
I'm thinking about picking one up from bcm. I wanted a more compact rifle from my 16 inch middy and i've always like the M4 (14.5 carbine) look. And wanted to know a few things. Do they handle and balance well? Have any problems running really light ammo(tula and the sort). I run the Thumb Break method of holding the for end of my rail. Anyone run like this and find it ok to do on a 7 inch rail? i know 12 would be better but i have one of those and like i said looking for something a little bit more handy. Thanks fellas
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I think mine is balanced well, but it's not light by any means due to the barrel's heavier profile. I don't have the BCM, mine is a Colt unit.

Mine runs like a sewing machine with everything I've feed it. I have never shot, nor plan to shoot Tula or any other cheap steal cased ammo. Just my personal preference.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think mine is balanced well, but it's not light by any means due to the barrel's heavier profile. I don't have the BCM, mine is a Colt unit.

Mine runs like a sewing machine with everything I've feed it. I have never shot, nor plan to shoot Tula or any other cheap steal cased ammo. Just my personal preference.

View Quote

I'm not really so concerned about weight as how well balances. Its good to hear they are good in that category.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're anywhere near nw ohio, you can chech mine out sometime.

Good luck, I think you'll be quite pleased with the SOCOM barrel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Do not step into the SOPMOD Block II thread. Your wallet will soon regret your decision.

But it is actually a good place to ask this question since the clone guys will have a lot of experience with that particular barrel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#5]
A 14.5" SOCOM barrel with DD RIS II rail and iron sights is a perfect balance....

with an Aimpoint T1 variant it is also Great. with a Eotech or Aimpoint red dot it is OK...

With an ACOG or red dot and magnifier (other than T1 because it weighs so little) it will probably be a bit heavy....

a full on scope and/OR bipod....

and it turns into a PIG.....

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Not BCM, but mine balances well and doesn't get very hot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys i think i'm going to pick one up when the i see them up again on BCMs site.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine (Colt 14.5" SOCOM) seems to be OK.  I just got it, so don't have much experience with it yet.  However, paired with a LMT SOPMOD stock, it does not strike me as being front heavy.  I'm running a KAC RAS and FSB on it, so traditional M4 set up.  I have yet to run it hard, but at this point it seems to be well-balanced.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:01:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine (Colt too) with batteries in the SOPMOD Stock balances well. Seemed to balance better with a longer rail (leverage is my guess) than with a shorter one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top