User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2013 4:47:12 PM EDT
Hi all,

I am debating on building another AR (a 308), since its super addicting and i am almost done with my first. However, the hobby isn't cheap..

So, was looking for some opinions..should I spend the money an build another rifle, or just keep pimping out mine? I am thinking in a SHTF situation, would I really need two guns..

Jules
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't limit yourself to one of anything.

Two is one and one is none.

Backups to the backup.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd split the difference and buy a 308 Upper/Lower set and then upgrade the rifle I already had.

Build up the 308 slow while enjoying the rifle I already built.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one, just about finished with first build and ordered upper and lower for another build.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Have rifles that fit your needs. I don't like having a dozen $500 ARs that are all junk because I most likely won't use all of them. I'd rather have a few optimized rifles that I actually use; spend the rest of the money on quality components, accessories, and training. I currently have a .308 AR for hunting and medium-long range, a 5.56 Recce for close-medium range (geared toward medium range), and am waiting on my paperwork for an SBR for close-medium range (geared toward close range).
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Well if your current build is a 556 & you now want a 308 you will need to start building a whole new rifle.

Many calibers just need a new complete upper set & possibly some new mags depending on the caliber.  22, 5.7, 300, 6.5, 6.8 ... etc.

The big guys wont fit into the magwell of the standard lower.  So you are pretty much stuck building/buying a new rifle. & new mags & more ammo...  Shooting is expensive anymore.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
As a friend told me, if you know how to shoot the one rifle, when the shit hits the fan, there will be multiple idiots with fancy rifles who do not know how to shoot them.  Take careful aim, and just take theirs
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The more the merrier, I have 3 builds going on as we speak(wife doesn't know).
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

amen!  2 here but she's starting to look at me funny
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]
One or two lowers

Multiple uppers tailored to specific tasks
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah its only a matter of time before the gigs up and ill be sleeping on the couch haha
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd rather have 2 good ones (LMT, DD, BCM, Colt level quality) than 1 great one (KAC, Noveske) or 3-4 cheap ones.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Two is one and one is none.

Backups to the backup.
View Quote

Be the Hydra!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Run away. It's a disease. I now have 3.
I have been threatened by the wife now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Spend the money on multiple ARs, or have just one great gun?
View Quote

Spend the money on multiple great guns. Good fun, every waking moment and penny spent on your next upgrade or build, er... uh.... maybe that's a sickness
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Go nuts on just one, make that weapon gucci as hell, and have money for a sweet optic, and hell, get a Dbal i2 while you're at it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one rifle that I would describe as SHTF ready speaking in the way of build quality, reliability, accuracy, features. The only accessory I need is a light. I'm still trying to decide which one. Everything else is there, though.

I have one other lower that I plan to build on with high quality components.

I'll also be building a lower to use for more of a plinker status rifle. Even then, it will still be built from NIB components by reputable manufacturers. I agree that you tend to get what you pay for. They may not all be $2000+ investments, but they don't have to be bottom of the barrel crap either.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#17]
My current is set up for 5.56, i know id need a new lower for a 308..  

In my case, its me building more rifles than my boyfriend
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a few lowers and they keep growing...and from there, they grow into rifles.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#19]
You know you need a dedicated .22.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I faced the same decision many years ago.  First it was buying field parts, then total rebuild replacement parts.  Then I said heck, for the money of the parts, I can just buy another AR.  I settled on this.  2.  Because there's a limit.  But....for the last 8 years I have carried 3.  Why?  The first is mine, the second for any many of my friends who don't have one and where I could use a little support OR if one does break it's the best "FIELD PARTS" kit around.  And recently, always a third....but of course, to sell off that $750 AR for $2,000 when the next rush rolls in....  Anything more than that and its not practical to carry and wil probably be left behind in a real rush.  Carrying two is enough...
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#21]
SBR + suppressor first.  

Then work on redundancy in other rifles.

Should of done this from the get go before buying a bunch of rifles.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Psht... rookies.

We have 3, one being an AR pistol.  Sure, they aren't Colts, BCM's or LWRC's or anything, that's for next year.  My wife is now tired of the run of the mill guns and wouldn't mind seeing a few higher quality ones around.

Just don't go broke over them and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Psht... rookies.

We have 3, one being an AR pistol.  Sure, they aren't Colts, BCM's or LWRC's or anything, that's for next year.  My wife is now tired of the run of the mill guns and wouldn't mind seeing a few higher quality ones around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Psht... rookies.

Please....May I marry this woman who wishes for her husband to buy MORE, higher quality guns????
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#24]
You can NEVER have too many guns
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Please....May I marry this woman who wishes for her husband to buy MORE, higher quality guns????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Psht... rookies.

I should know better than to say this......

Marry a Marine chick but proceed with caution.

On second thought, how much you payin'?    I'll take a goat and alpaca, I keep my son.

Not GD, whoops.

For the sake of making this post productive I will add another argument I like.  Let's use me as an example, sure I have three lower end AR's (one is a 'parts' gun).  Judging by OP's thoughts, which are similar to ours, I don't have these AR's lying around just for my own joy at the range.  Sure, I'm building them to fit specific needs (both being SHTF and various recreational shooting) but may also serve as "GI" guns, once the finer firearms are purchased.  Conversely, not directly related to OP's expressed concerns, these firearms may also be sold at 3x their value during a panic, putting OP in a position to consolidate cheap rifles for quality ones over time.

An alternative to the above is to keep the AR's and accumulate quite the parts bin, which really can't hurt.

Will I keep all of these AR's forever?  I highly doubt it.  Come the next panic I will be in a position to sell a firearm at a net gain to a friend and still not beat their head in according to the going rate.  This past time around I was playing catch up. We won our first AR in March and I said to a lot of my friends how lucky we were.  I thought if you weren't already in the game it was too late.  I am very glad to say I was wrong and even more proud that my wife understands it's more than just my penis size issues.

No pics until after 1000 posts and someone tells me I'm the friggin smartest dude ever, whichever comes first.  

The road our society is headed down, I would buy as many as you possibly could.  I would also not overlook other aspects of self sufficiency, either survival or defense.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I sold one once a 24" RRA Varmint, I know where it is and still thinking about getting it back. I build one that was lighter and shot just as good and could not justify a 12lb ar15 Looked good though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I built mine up about as good as it gets. Top of the line everything. She is my first and I wanted it to be exactly what I wanted and that it absolutely is.

Now i'm thinking about another. i too am considering 308 because I already have the exact ar I want. I considered build another ar15 but it would be this ones twin minus 1.5 inches on the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Buy them all

I just sold 2 to get my first Noveske.

My most shot AR is a 14.5" PSA with an A2 upper. I love that gun.

My personal take: don't buy junk. You'll just end up replacing down the road.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I like to do purpose built guns.

SBR 9mm for cheap plinking
SBR suppressed .22lr, great for new shooters
Fighting carbine
Truck gun
Coyote gun
NRA highpower
3-gun Tac Ops
Lightweight rifle

Got two more lowers intended for my kids.  I haven't figured out yet what direction they'll go.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hi all,

I am debating on building another AR (a 308), since its super addicting and i am almost done with my first. However, the hobby isn't cheap..

So, was looking for some opinions..should I spend the money an build another rifle, or just keep pimping out mine? I am thinking in a SHTF situation, would I really need two guns..

Jules
View Quote

No matter what you do, they multiply!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'd rather have 2 good ones (LMT, DD, BCM, Colt level quality) than 1 great one (KAC, Noveske) or 3-4 cheap ones.
View Quote

This is the route that I took.  I put together 2 very nice rifles.  They work very well but don't have the fancier things that you might see out of a KAC or Noveske.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
SBR + suppressor first.  

Then work on redundancy in other rifles.

Should of done this from the get go before buying a bunch of rifles.
View Quote

Very wise words.  I went with a 14.5'' then I went with an 11.5'' and I'm awaiting clearance for the can now.  It's the natural progression/cycle I'd say.  Rifle, SBR, then can.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I feel like asking a bunch of self proclaimed gun-addicts if you need another gun is like asking snoop dog (sorry, snoop lion) if you should smoke more weed...
That said it seems like the smart money is on yes...
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

SBR 9mm for cheap plinking
SBR suppressed .22lr, great for new shooters
Fighting carbine
Truck gun
Coyote gun
NRA highpower
3-gun Tac Ops
Lightweight rifle

Got two more lowers intended for my kids.  I haven't figured out yet what direction they'll go.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

As do I. And this is why I can never have too many.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:50:13 AM EDT
[#36]
It never hurts to have more than one…
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#37]
1 gun.

That's how I am. I spend the cash to have one great gun that is good at its task... doesn't matter how far it puts me back in affording another gun down the road. It needs to be done right.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:05:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I think three is a good number. You could tailor each one to different needs. Any beyond that would be just for investment purposes for me, and that money would be better off being  put towards ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:29:40 AM EDT
[#39]
I think 2 is the minimum.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:33:25 AM EDT
[#40]
haha well the general consensus seems to only further my addiction. So if I build a .308, what are the best specs to have? Make it a SBR or go with a longer barrel?

Lowers are getting cheaper, this is not good
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:42:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
haha well the general consensus seems to only further my addiction. So if I build a .308, what are the best specs to have? Make it a SBR or go with a longer barrel?

View Quote

honestly, if you are going to go the 308 route id go 18"s.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:03:17 AM EDT
[#42]
With the direction you are wanting to go (.308),  I'd get a second AR,  building up the current one that you have down the road.

It's way easier to justify a modification expense later to add to your current rifles than it is to buy a new gun,  and more guns can be more fun.  

I'm building my 6th AR right now (Well,  7th I suppose... I gave one to my brother),  and I'd rather have some guns that have a different purpose.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:10:28 AM EDT
[#43]
2 is 1 and 1 is none!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:14:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd read a little bit in the Various forums we have here to get a better idea as to what you may want to accomplish. Having a .308 SBR, while cool as heck, really doesn't do the round justice IMO. I'm with everyone else that builds/buys rifles for a specific purpose. The shortest in .308 I'd personally go is 16".

I'm able to run my SR25 as a battle rifle the way I have it set up with a 1-8 power optic. I can engage targets up close and personal along with hitting reduced IPSC targets at 1000 yds.

AR Variants Forum

AR10 Forum
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:16:36 AM EDT
[#45]
If your worried about SHTF then yes, the adage of 2 is 1, 1 is none applies.

Either way, I suggest you resist the urge to go overboard on your current AR. There is a point of limited ROI when upgrading your AR and a lot of shit out there that serves little purpose other then separating you from your money. Just start with a decent quality 14.5" - 16" carbine or midlength rifle then get an Aimpoint Pro or Eotech, a BUIS, a light and sling and your GTG
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:22:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except wive's
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I always have a duplicate of my  "keepers".
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My current is set up for 5.56, i know id need a new lower for a 308..  

In my case, its me building more rifles than my boyfriend
View Quote

wait,,, you mean to tell me your a wommanzzzz......

PICS!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think 2 is the minimum.
View Quote

got gave you two arms, two eyes, two legs, two eyes, and two breasts for a reason,,

minimum is two, which is one,,, which is none,,

so get 4...
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Except wive's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except wive's

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top