Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 11:29:17 PM EDT
Any of you guys have a 14.5 barrel midlength with one of the perm attach supressors to bring it to legal length?

Does a bayonet work with this setup?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Any of you guys have a 14.5 barrel midlength with one of the perm attach supressors to bring it to legal length?

View Quote
yes, the barrel doesn't grow when you attach a FS

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#2]
There are better things to use for roasting meat over a fire.

If your out of ammo, fixing a bayonet on a 14.5" stick isn't much of a winning formula. Do you plan on getting training with it or just having it shoved up your rear end?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Two things I've learned from gun forums:

1) Criminals will flee in terror at the sound of a pump shotgun racking

2) Those same criminals will laugh derisively and charge towards a spear.

I don't use a bayonet personally, nor do I use a carbine for home defense. But some people do, and since one of the hazards of using a long gun is having the barrel grabbed in tight spaces, it seems to me that having a sharp object at the end of said barrel that might accidentally be grabbed by an intruder going for the barrel wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm a bayonet agnostic. But there are a lot more useless things than bayonets that people hang off their AR's.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#4]
why are you people giving him shit over a simple question?

The answer is, it will work but barrel ring will barely reach the flash hider and is not ideal.  Bayonets are designed for 14.5" carbine length barrels.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why are you people giving him shit over a simple question?

The answer is, it will work but barrel ring will barely reach the flash hider and is not ideal.  Bayonets are designed for 14.5" carbine length barrels.
View Quote

I agree with your first point.  It was a good, reasonable question.  However I'm not sure I understand your second point.  Edited because reading is fundamental and I missed the "midlength" bit in the OP. He seems to be talking about permanently attaching a longer muzzle device to bring a 14.5" barrel up to 16+".  That has no effect on the bayonet mount, and only impacts using a bayonet if the muzzle device is larger than an A2 flash hider.

Whether it seems to make sense to a lot of folks or not, a bayonet is part of the kit for USGI rifles, and having a meter-long pointy stick is better than having only a hand-held knife.  I don't know if there's been a US Army bayonet charge in the last 40 years, but that doesn't mean it's not possible, nor that there is NEVER a tactical situation where it would be appropriate.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lengths are different for a 16 inch barrel with a flash hider attached and a 14.5 with a perm flash hider attached.

This ain't GD... these are the tech forums.  I would expect more from someone who paid all that money for a life membership.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If your out of ammo, fixing a bayonet on a 14.5" stick isn't much of a winning formula. Do you plan on getting training with it or just having it shoved up your rear end?
View Quote

Again, not GD.  Thanks for nothing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't care if there has not ever been a bayonet charge in modern times.  Like a lot of people I just would like the option.

If you don't have something to add to the topic (comparison pics would be nice if someone has that capability) please do not crap in my thread.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The reason I like bayonets is Liberals HATE them

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Measure from the rear of the bayonet lug to the flashhider, you will have the length of the flashhider to work with here.
A standard M7 measures ~5 inches from rear of the lug cut to the rear of the ring
on a German made KCB 77 it is ~4 7/8
on a M 10 I get ~ 5 1/8 inch
These are measurements with the ruler against the rear of the ring lug to the end of the handle so when mounted the lug does sit slightly into the handle, maybe 1/4 inch max.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#12]
A bayonet will work on the following setups:

20" rifle gas barrel with FSB/lug
16" mid length gas with FSB/lug
14.5 carbine length gas with FSB/lug

It will not work on a 14.5 mid length gas with FSB/lug (too short)

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, it won't work. It will work with a carbine gas 14.5", or a midlength gas 16", but not a midlength gas 14.5" like you specified in the OP.
Nevermind the rest of the responses that didn't really read what you asked.
View Quote

You're right.  I was thinking mid length with a 16" barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top