Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2013 2:59:28 PM EDT
Took subject rifle, purchased new from major distributor, to the range for the first time today.  Prep consisted of light cleaning of all action surfaces (BCG, upper receiver chamber) and application of light coat of M-Pro 7 lube, and thorough cleaning of bore (Hoppes 9, M-Pro 7, dry patches on jag until clean).  Ammo used was FM reman .223.  Out of only 50 rounds, I had two blown primers and one failure to go into battery.  I attributed the blown primers--one of which lodged in my feed ramps and caused the next round to fail to chamber--to the (re)manufacturer, which I've read tends to load on the "hot" side.  The failure to go into battery was odd.  It was on the last round (all new 10-round PMAGs), and I thought it was a bad primer because the bolt seemed to close, and I think I pulled the trigger and got a "click".  I pointed the rifle down range for 15 minutes, then tried to eject the round, but the charging handle wouldn't pull back.  A friend took a look and used his palm to strike the charging handle, which eventually popped the BCG back and ejected the round, which had an intact primer.  I put the round through again and it chambered and shot fine.  I guess the last issue could be ammo related, or magazine, but I really don't want to blame the rifle.  I didn't enjoy my first time out with my new BCM nearly as much as I'd expected.  My buddy's DPMS went through 100-plus rounds of .223 hand loads with no issues at all.  I'll break it down and inspect tonight.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't get down in the dumps about it yet. Feed it another couple hundred rounds before you worry. New rifles are like that sometimes. They just need to be broken in a little . The action of the internals working when fired should smooth everything out. I'd shoot a couple hundred rounds of some known good ammo and reevaluate .
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#2]
stop using the remanufactured ammo . the only reloads I shoot are the ones I personally load. I bet if you run some decent ammo through your rifle it wont miss a lick.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
stop using the remanufactured ammo . the only reloads I shoot are the ones I personally load. I bet if you run some decent ammo through your rifle it wont miss a lick.
View Quote

Yep.  Sounds like ammunition issues to me.  Get some known good ammo for it, and run it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Took subject rifle, purchased new from major distributor, to the range for the first time today.  Prep consisted of light cleaning of all action surfaces (BCG, upper receiver chamber) and application of light coat of M-Pro 7 lube, and thorough cleaning of bore (Hoppes 9, M-Pro 7, dry patches on jag until clean).

View Quote
Dump the Hoppes, it leaves nasty residue, use CPL. I recommend Break Free CLP. Next, clean and I mean scrub the hell out of the whole firearm paying close attention to the BCG upper, and chamber. New firearms are coated with thick (relatively) preservative which must be thoroughly removed before use.  Then thoroughly lube with whatever you preference is.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dump the Hoppes, it leaves nasty residue, use CPL. I recommend Break Free CLP. Next, clean and I mean scrub the hell out of the whole firearm paying close attention to the BCG upper, and chamber. New firearms are coated with thick (relatively) preservative which must be thoroughly removed before use.  Then thoroughly lube with whatever you preference is.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took subject rifle, purchased new from major distributor, to the range for the first time today.  Prep consisted of light cleaning of all action surfaces (BCG, upper receiver chamber) and application of light coat of M-Pro 7 lube, and thorough cleaning of bore (Hoppes 9, M-Pro 7, dry patches on jag until clean).

That's a new one. I have been using it for 30 years without issue.  

OP use factory rounds like others have pointed out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never know ARs to have issues needing a "break in"... as was said, feed it some decent ammo and try again. It doesn't have to be premium, ust new manufacture.

If you still have issues then I would say there is an issue with the rifle, but BMC should fix you up. Even they can let a bad one slip through on occasion.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]
First thing I'd do is shitcan that ammo. You're operating on borrowed time using that stuff from the sound of it. It's not worth blowing up your new AR to save a couple bucks on ammo. It's obvious the ammo has issues. I'd bet money your AR will function fine with proper ammo.

Also, used correctly, nothing wrong with Hoppes #9. Always worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
^^^What they said.

Why buy a quality rifle and then skimp on ammo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Hopped doesn't leave a residue behind. That's hogwash. I've used it for a long time. We used at Barrett for almost 14 years till we started using BoreTech.

Dump the reman ammo and use some factory fodder or learn to load your own.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#10]
It's the ammo.  Get some quality ammo and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep.  Sounds like ammunition issues to me.  Get some known good ammo for it, and run it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use quality ammo, and it will run fine.  From what I've read BCM's like 5.56.  Try that first.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Op takes new rifle for first outing, shoots garbage ammo through it. Has problems related to ammo. Doesn't enjoy first outing. What did you expect?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Absolutely....better ammo dude.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Op takes new rifle for first outing, shoots garbage ammo through it. Has problems related to ammo. Doesn't enjoy first outing. What did you expect?
View Quote
To be fair all I ever shot in my new Glock's and BCM/DD AR's were reloads for the first couple hundred rounds, and they ran perfect, but yea try some different ammo/mags OP.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Try some XM193 or 855, if you are still having trouble contact the manufacture. is the barrel stamped HP, MP, 1/7 5.56 and does the BCG have a BCM logo on it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I've only been shooting firearms for 52 years and I'm sure the folks who posted above me are much more experienced.

With your unit, it has now planted the seed of "dependability ... or .. lack there of".

If this is your SHTF unit, the importance of pulling the trigger and hearing "BANG" is near the top of your priority list.

From a "mechanical" point of view, be it your automobile, snowmobile, refrigerator or generator.... Is this an acceptable level of reliability?

Again, mechanically, when a firearm comes off the assembly line it should be at 100% reliability. When a firearm is handed to a LEO or a guy heading out on patrol.... The luxury of a "break in" period is not there.

The suggestion to buy better ammo is valid. The "what if" enters the equation for the day when you can not purchase your choice of ammo and the guy on the other side of the counter says "This is all I've got... take it or leave it ... the guy behind you has cash in hand and he will buy all I can ration out to him".

So, just a few things to ponder in your situation.

Thanks,

Hobo

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I recently bought a BCM mid 16 mod 0. But I have not shot it yet. Can you tell me where you got it. I am wondering if mine came from the same place and might have issues also.. I hope it works good. Like others have said buy some new good ammo and let us know if it works.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#18]
It ain't the rifle, son.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup--genuine BCM.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#20]
HoboHilton,

Thanks.  I purchased BCM for reliability, so I am disappointed that the rifle had issues with reman ammo from a reputable source.  I researched the manufacturer, and they seemed good to go.  I inspected every round, and they all looked good.  I'm not into tacticool tricking out, latest and greatest bragging rights, short or long range, super accurate target shooting, 3 gun, etc.  Guns are not a hobby for me, they're just one of many tools that I think everybody should own and know how to use.  When I buy any tool, dependability is my primary consideration, which is why I did a few months of skulking and research and decided to buy a BCM.  I will never feed any of my guns better than milsurp ammo, and I don't care how accurate they can be with "the good stuff".  I only care for what I consider practical accuracy at my chosen ranges with minimum spec ammo--acceptable results with acceptable input.  I will purchase some new, standard quality ammo and see how it runs with that, and I'll try some hand loads as well.  

Thanks to all for their opinions and experience.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I would have thrown away that reman junk after the first blown primer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#22]
My mid BCM BFH shoots laser beams with Independence and American Eagle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I lost my favorite AR and a 1911 r/t reman ammo. It cost me $1800 worth of guns to realize that the $0.05 or less that I saved per round was not worth it.

Don't get discouraged with a gun due to subpar ammo. Blown primers are rare.... two from one batch is most likely too hot or loose primer pockets.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Just buy some factory ammo and try it then email the distributor. You said you are using reliable remanufactured ammo could you share the name brand? That is a very important detail you are leaving out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the BCM mid 16, got it a few months ago, I have used a multitude of different ammo's;  brass, and steel, pricey, and cheap, no problems... Buy some american eagle xm855 and go to town!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I purchased the reman ammo from Freedom Munitions.  The vast majority of what I read about this manufacturer has been very good.  My CZ75 has gone through about 2000 rds of the stuff with not one issue.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
HoboHilton,

Thanks. I purchased BCM for reliability, so I am disappointed that the rifle had issues with reman ammo from a reputable source.  I researched the manufacturer, and they seemed good to go.  I inspected every round, and they all looked good.  I'm not into tacticool tricking out, latest and greatest bragging rights, short or long range, super accurate target shooting, 3 gun, etc.  Guns are not a hobby for me, they're just one of many tools that I think everybody should own and know how to use.  When I buy any tool, dependability is my primary consideration, which is why I did a few months of skulking and research and decided to buy a BCM.  I will never feed any of my guns better than milsurp ammo, and I don't care how accurate they can be with "the good stuff".  I only care for what I consider practical accuracy at my chosen ranges with minimum spec ammo--acceptable results with acceptable input.  I will purchase some new, standard quality ammo and see how it runs with that, and I'll try some hand loads as well.  

Thanks to all for their opinions and experience.
View Quote

I think there is a misunderstanding what is being said. I totally agree that a rifle should be tolerant of a wide range of ammo. I'm not suggesting that there isn't good remanufactured ammo available. New ammo from the mainstream manufacturers have blown up their share of rifles.

What I and the others are saying is we would be very surprised that the cause of the problems in this instance is with the BCM rifle. It's remanufacterd ammo. The history of the first loading and brass quality is not known. Even if this place has a stellar reputation, I think it's far more likely that the cause of popped primers has something to do with the ammo and not the rifle. Loose primer pockets, too hot of load, both or just quality control in general. It's happened with name brand, first time loaded ammo. If I had a BCM, Colt, or ANY other brand rifle and I was popping primers, I would suspect an issue with the ammo first. Regardless of who the manufacturer was.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Did a quick google of Freedom Munitions problems and found lots of interesting reading....

It aint the rifle....imo
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Did a quick google of Freedom Munitions problems and found lots of interesting reading....

It aint the rifle....imo
View Quote

I concur.  Just did the same. While there were positive reviews too, there were enough negative reports to make me steer clear. One guy proclaims its better than Federal because the brass looked shinier. lol!

I especially like "They had some KBs early on but I think they got that taken care of."
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Agreed.  The ammo is most definitely the issue--can't conceive of how a rifle would blow primers.  Still, I am disappointed that my luck is seemingly so poor that I wound up with the worst batch of ammo I've ever heard of.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Update:

After thoroughly cleaning all the brass particles out of every nook and cranny of both upper and lower receiver, I returned to the range with a few hundred rounds of M193.  The rifle performed perfectly as far as reliability is concerned.  I'm still seeing some slight half moon marks on the heads of my cases, though, and since I'm gearing up to reload my .223 brass, I want the cases as undamaged as possible.  I've read that slowing the timing a bit through use of a heavier buffer and/or spring might do the trick, so I ordered a Sprinco blue and Spike's ST-T2.  I don't plan to use underpowered ammo at all, and likely won't use .223 often, so I'm not worried about reliability impacts at this point.  I'll report back next week or so.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#32]
The half moon marks are likely ejector swipes.  That's typically an indicator of ammo being loaded to high pressure, not generally a rifle issue.  I usually see similar marks in 3 different guns when using the same XM193 round.

If you want unmolested once-fired brass, try to use .223-spec ammo.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Maybe you should sell your BCM and buy a DPMS.

He'll be back with another 20 threads wondering why his BCM won't run because he changed the buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Use quality ammo, and it will run fine.  From what I've read BCM's like 5.56.  Try that first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. ^^

BCM even states on website to use mil spec pressured ammo. My bcm will shoot M193 all day.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Please oh please be unhappy with the rifle.

I'll take the upper off your hands for a suitably low price and save you a ton of grief.

Just keep me inmind.

GD
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Isn't this a forum for information exchange?  I think my first experience with an AR--which resulted in blown primers and weapon jams--was appropriate for this forum.  It's not like I purchased the ammo I used off the back of a truck--I'd been using 9mm from the same manufacturer for at least a year with not one issue, so I figured their .223 would likely be OK.  I learned from that mistake, and won't make a similar mistake again.  Rifle makers are more concerned with reliability than reloading, and understandably so, but I think slight mods to produce undamaged brass for reloading is a worthwhile pursuit.  All I'm trying to do is make my rifle work for ME.  I like to practice, and I can't afford to exclusively use new 5.56 ammo.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Easy now. Sounds like you solved your problem. You don't have to use full power 5.56 exclusively. Dont worry about that. You can run a wide range of ammo including some lower impulse factory. 223 or even steel case. Main thing we were saying is you had a ammo issue, not a rifle issue.

If you want to try a heavier buffer go for it. Wont hurt anything. Might help with the 5.56 brass marks. Just steer clear of the first ammo you used.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Isn't this a forum for information exchange?  I think my first experience with an AR--which resulted in blown primers and weapon jams--was appropriate for this forum.  It's not like I purchased the ammo I used off the back of a truck--I'd been using 9mm from the same manufacturer for at least a year with not one issue, so I figured their .223 would likely be OK.  I learned from that mistake, and won't make a similar mistake again.  Rifle makers are more concerned with reliability than reloading, and understandably so, but I think slight mods to produce undamaged brass for reloading is a worthwhile pursuit.  All I'm trying to do is make my rifle work for ME.  I like to practice, and I can't afford to exclusively use new 5.56 ammo.
View Quote

It's all good.  Just learn to wade through the "piling on."

You've established that the rifle works.  Now you can look for the cheapest ammo that works with your rifle.  You just haven't found it yet.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some people just forget to take off their asshole hat sometimes.  Good choice on rifle----I got back in to the AR game with a BCM middy, and I think it flat out rocks.  We all make mistakes, hopefully we all learn from them.  Go shoot that stick!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Third range session was great.  I swapped out the factory spring and H buffer with a Sprinco blue and Spike's T2.  Shot 100 rounds Federal .223 and 100 rounds LC 5.56 without any issues.  The .223 cases were close to pristine, and the half moon marks on the XM193 cases were slightly reduced.  I might try a heavier buffer/spring combo to see if the marks on the 5.56 cases can be eliminated, even though that might cause reliability issues when using .223.  Pretty happy with my Troy fixed rear sight, too.  3 inch groups at 50 yards is better than I've done before with iron sights.  I wonder what differences between my BCM middy and my buddy's DPMS carbine are resulting in such different case wear patterns.  He has a standard carbine buffer (not H) and spring, and that combo provides a lot less resistance than my set up.  I have an operationally reliable rifle that produces cases that are safe for reloading, so any more tweaking is just recreation at this point.  That being said, I'm looking into taking the hard edges off the bolt lugs over the feed ramps, and playing a bit with extractor / ejector spring tension.  Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#41]
By bolt lugs you mean the locking lugs on the barrel extension or the bolt lugs on the actual bolt?  Not sure I'd mess with either but especially not the bolt.  I do like the theory behind the idea though and enjoy shooting an LMT enhanced BCG in a DD upper.  I know nothing about gunsmithing so I don't try anything beyond standard AR assembly.

Good to hear that the gun is working out.  During your first range trip, did you swap mags with your friend?  You mentioned he was shooting reloads but didn't say if those were FM or his own.  I wonder how the FM worked in his gun and his reloads in yours.  My 2 BCM 16" mid uppers have been flawless (all factory including plenty of Silver Bear) although I have never checked for ejector marks on brass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry op, but your problems sounds 100% ammo related. The reloads probably weren't headspaced correctly to work out in your rifle, thankfully you or your rifle were not injured.  Get some quality ammo & rock on.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Lots of people have said it OP and i'll say it too. FM is crap ammo. I personally would rather shoot tula or wolf before FM. The past year they have put out really awful ammo. I used to love their 9mm. But after  few close calls i'm terrified of it. And the thought of using their 223 ammo makes me what to crap my pants.

BTW if you are running 5.56 in a 14.5 middy run an H buffer or H2 if you can get away with it. Lower powered stuff i would run just a regular carbine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Update:

After thoroughly cleaning all the brass particles out of every nook and cranny of both upper and lower receiver, I returned to the range with a few hundred rounds of M193.  The rifle performed perfectly as far as reliability is concerned.  I'm still seeing some slight half moon marks on the heads of my cases, though, and since I'm gearing up to reload my .223 brass, I want the cases as undamaged as possible.  I've read that slowing the timing a bit through use of a heavier buffer and/or spring might do the trick, so I ordered a Sprinco blue and Spike's ST-T2.  I don't plan to use underpowered ammo at all, and likely won't use .223 often, so I'm not worried about reliability impacts at this point.  I'll report back next week or so.

Rifle makers are more concerned with reliability than reloading, and understandably so, but I think slight mods to produce undamaged brass for reloading is a worthwhile pursuit. All I'm trying to do is make my rifle work for ME. I like to practice, and I can't afford to exclusively use new 5.56 ammo.

View Quote

Stop using junk ammo & wasting your money on things that are not necessary(unless you enjoy blowing $ then go for it) You should have contacted BCM about it as the rifle running the stock "H" buffer shouldn't be an issue.

Don't forget to put a velcro sticky on the brass deflector to not only save your brass but keep it from getting nicks. Soft moving mats laid out on the ground help also!

CMMG makes a great .22 conversion kit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I've never had an issue with any of my bcms but I only shoot my reloads, which aren't weak sauce. Shoot better stuff through it, lube it well and run it hard. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Op try the h2 buffer, I tried the st-2 buffer but it didn't run well for me, I switched over to an h2 and it runs great, my groups tightened up and my hair grew back and my smile is whiter. H2 buffer, good ammo, lube generously. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Stop using junk ammo & wasting your money on things that are not necessary(unless you enjoy blowing $ then go for it) You should have contacted BCM about it as the rifle running the stock "H" buffer shouldn't be an issue.

Don't forget to put a velcro sticky on the brass deflector to not only save your brass but keep it from getting nicks. Soft moving mats laid out on the ground help also!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update:

Rifle makers are more concerned with reliability than reloading, and understandably so, but I think slight mods to produce undamaged brass for reloading is a worthwhile pursuit. All I'm trying to do is make my rifle work for ME. I like to practice, and I can't afford to exclusively use new 5.56 ammo.

Hahaha.... Good laugh for me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Third range session was great.  I swapped out the factory spring and H buffer with a Sprinco blue and Spike's T2.  Shot 100 rounds Federal .223 and 100 rounds LC 5.56 without any issues.  The .223 cases were close to pristine, and the half moon marks on the XM193 cases were slightly reduced.  I might try a heavier buffer/spring combo to see if the marks on the 5.56 cases can be eliminated, even though that might cause reliability issues when using .223.  Pretty happy with my Troy fixed rear sight, too.  3 inch groups at 50 yards is better than I've done before with iron sights.  I wonder what differences between my BCM middy and my buddy's DPMS carbine are resulting in such different case wear patterns.  He has a standard carbine buffer (not H) and spring, and that combo provides a lot less resistance than my set up.  I have an operationally reliable rifle that produces cases that are safe for reloading, so any more tweaking is just recreation at this point.  That being said, I'm looking into taking the hard edges off the bolt lugs over the feed ramps, and playing a bit with extractor / ejector spring tension.  Thanks for all the info.
View Quote

You're overthinking brutha, I reload and I don't worry about dents, when you resize it those dents magically disappear. I only look for any cracks or excessive wear. Bcm bcg's extract well. I've not had any issues with my bcm uppers or bcg's shoot and reload with confidence. Enjoy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top