User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 38
Posted: 10/11/2013 8:18:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: L119188]
I've seen several other light weight picture threads that included 8 pounders. Lets look at some real challenging builds. Rules are...gotta have a pic, gotta have the weight of the empty rifle. The rifle must weigh six pounds or less. I'll go first.
Attachment Attached File

Permanently attached phantom flash hider on a spikes 14 1/2" light weight mid length barrel
DPMS carbon fiber free float hand guard...cut to mid length from a rifle length tube
JP front sight rail
Lo-pro .625 gas block
Magpul MBUS sights
Standard aluminum upper with an adco forward assist plug
Standard bolt and buffer
New Frontier Lower
Magpul MOE grip
CAR butt stock
500 rounds so far...no malfunctions.

Empty weight: 5 pounds
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

Yeah there should be some limits on these things
-like barrels must be 14.5 or 14.7
-no plastic lowers
-pics must be on scale with wt showing
-no helium balloons tied to upper when on the scale
-no optics
-BCG CH must be in upper

Stuff like that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tct1000:
Cool thread OP, I wonder how long until pics of 6.5lbs then 7lbs and finally +8lbs rifles show up and this turns into a full blown post whatever ar you want thread....

-no plastic lowers
-no optics
-BCG CH must be in upper

Stuff like that

Not seeing an issue with any of the reqs you posted, why do anyone care if there is an optic or not, if it's an SBR or not, if it's made from traditional materials or not ...  if it can make weight?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bretshooter] [#2]
I disagree with no plastic receivers.  First, it takes GWACS Armory off of the table.  Secondly, it removes innovation.  Eventually a plastic stand alone receiver will be durable enough to compare with aluminum.   And as for the current ones, not every one is building combat worthy guns.  Some just hunt, backpack etc.

Hell, if it has an optic, and still weighs under 6, why not?  An RMR weighs less than an MBUS set, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey it was just a thought ya know....

My thinking on this kind of exercise is not going for the lightest possible but the lightest possible grounded in function first.
That really wasn't the purpose of this thread I know...just my thoughts on it...

I guess I would rather have a "filthy 14" than the lightest possible rifle every made if it can't hack it like the "filthy 14"

And no I do not nor have I ever owned a plastic rifle (though as a kid my buddy had a Nylon 66 and we shot the heck outta that) ..do have a bunch of Glocks though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

Keep this in mind, when Mag Tactical releases their new upper receiver and if Josh would install his aluminum carrier he will be BELOW THREE POUNDS!!!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GreenPlease:
WOW that's light!

Keep this in mind, when Mag Tactical releases their new upper receiver and if Josh would install his aluminum carrier he will be BELOW THREE POUNDS!!!

When did they announce this? Do they have any estimated release dates?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Lohe:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lohe:
Originally Posted By GreenPlease:
WOW that's light!

Should be out soon according to their FB page.  The FA model weighs 4 7/8 ounces stripped.  They might be making a non-FA model as well.  If they do I'm going with that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been calling them at least once a month BEGGING them to offer it in a non-forward assist version.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The thing that would REALLY help is if some manufacturer would offer a thinner upper and lower manufactured out of Scandium Alloy. You could reduce size and still retain strength. That also would make for a nice carrier
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey it was just a thought ya know....

My thinking on this kind of exercise is not going for the lightest possible but the lightest possible grounded in function first.
That really wasn't the purpose of this thread I know...just my thoughts on it...

I guess I would rather have a "filthy 14" than the lightest possible rifle every made if it can't hack it like the "filthy 14"

And no I do not nor have I ever owned a plastic rifle (though as a kid my buddy had a Nylon 66 and we shot the heck outta that) ..do have a bunch of Glocks though.
View Quote

I think grounded in function is a great idea but don't completely agree with your list.  I do agree these should be full length non-NFA rifles and leave those for another thread.  I think optics should be allowed as well because that could open up the possibility for lighter mounting solutions.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The thing that would REALLY help is if some manufacturer would offer a thinner upper and lower manufactured out of Scandium Alloy. You could reduce size and still retain strength. That also would make for a nice carrier
View Quote

I wonder if it would be lighter than the Magnesium one?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 1:44:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eodinert] [#10]
We need classes, like fighters.  NFA and non-NFA.  Otherwise, its a race to see who has the shortest barrel.

I really hate plastic lowers (except the cav/gwacs), and would never use one myself.  My rule is 'no crap parts', but that's subjective, and would be hard to define.  I say the rifle has to fire 1,000 verified rounds without blowing up to be 'king'
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 3:22:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been calling them at least once a month BEGGING them to offer it in a non-forward assist version.
View Quote

Same here. Ultimate lightweight 22lr trainer material right there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:40:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockSlap] [#12]
It's a bit heavy...for a .308!!

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh shit, now I've got to start on a light weight .308
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By eodinert:
Oh shit, now I've got to start on a light weight .308
View Quote

It wasn't easy
Some parts took months to find, and then months to get...
There is still probably another 1/2 pound to dump but it would involve cutting, welding and drilling-and since this is primarily a hunting stick first I wanted 18 inch .308 ballistics.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Wow, that really is amazing for a .308 build. What's the recoil like on that beast? I'd imagine that the follow up shots will be a little farther apart.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#16]

-no plastic lowers
-no optics
-BCG CH must be in upper

Stuff like that
View All Quotes
Cool thread OP, I wonder how long until pics of 6.5lbs then 7lbs and finally +8lbs rifles show up and this turns into a full blown post whatever ar you want thread....

-no plastic lowers
-no optics
-BCG CH must be in upper

Stuff like that

OP here...so the rules are...
SBR is ok
Plastic/magnesium/balsa wood lowers ok....as long as you have a rifle that will function correctly and fire a few thousand rounds without any issues.
The pic doesn't need to be on the scale...I trust you, but the weight should be included in the post.
No optics? The rifle needs some type of sighting system, and that should be included in the weight.
...and yeah, the weight is for the whole gun, BCG included...that was a joke, by the way...all the guns so far have had their innards.
...and the 7 and a half pound 308 is neat and all, but this thread is for rifles six pounds and under....don't know if I mentioned. Good stuff. Keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:34:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#17]
Sounds fine....just waiting on my BCM KM10

Here is my place holder

With the Aimpoint off and a set of Magpul sights I am below 6lbs on this

I think with the Bushy super light wt cut down to 14.7, a A2 flash hider, BCM KM10,and maybe a Vortex Razor red dot I am going to
come in way below 6lbs
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:34:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#18]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By L119188:

SBR is ok
Plastic/magnesium/balsa wood lowers ok....as long as you have a rifle that will function correctly and fire a few thousand rounds without any issues.
The pic doesn't need to be on the scale...I trust you, but the weight should be included in the post.
No optics? The rifle needs some type of sighting system, and that should be included in the weight.
...and yeah, the weight is for the whole gun, BCG included...that was a joke, by the way...all the guns so far have had their innards.
...and the 7 and a half pound 308 is neat and all, but this thread is for rifles six pounds and under....don't know if I mentioned. Good stuff. Keep 'em coming.
View All Quotes

-no plastic lowers
-no optics
-BCG CH must be in upper

Stuff like that

SBR is ok

But no one is going to top Josh Aston, but at least he can set the bar
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:02:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eodinert] [#20]

SBR is ok, but someone is going to come a long with a rifle with heavier components and a shorter barrel, and have a lighter rifle.
Plastic/magnesium/balsa wood lowers ok....but you're a punk if you use a Carbon 15, NFA, Plum Crazy, or any other shit lower.
The pic doesn't need to be on the scale...No, wait, yes it does.
...and the 7 and a half pound 308 is neat and all, but .308 rifles are in a different class, like SBRs

View Quote

Fixed it for you

Classes:
Unlimited 5.56 (Including SBR)
Title I 5.56
308 title I
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:26:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jukeboxx13] [#21]
Great thread but sadly no one has posted a good HD setup with optic and weapon light.

Reason why I am interested is for building one for my wife.

ETA: I guess you dont allow optics, which is fine since I doubt a HD setup could weigh 6 pounds with one.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:24:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#22]
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:
Great thread but sadly no one has posted a good HD setup with optic and weapon light.

ETA: I guess you dont allow optics, which is fine since I doubt a HD setup could weigh 6 pounds with one.

View Quote

Actually optics are required in this thread

If you go with something like an Trijicon RMR, Vortex Razor Red Dot, Doctor,or Leupy Delta Point you can keep the wt quite low.
same if you go with a Surefire,Streamlight or Thorn tail keymod for a light..

Once BCM comes out with their KM10 and KM13 (7.5 OZ with barrel nut) rails keeping a 14.5 under 6lbs should be pretty easy actually
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:27:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: November5] [#23]
Once BCM comes out with their KM10 and KM13 (7.5 OZ with barrel nut) rails keeping a 14.5 under 6lbs should be pretty easy actually
View Quote

The Clark carbon fiber is still an ounce and a half lighter than the KM13.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#24]

If you go with something like an Trijicon RMR, Vortex Razor Red Dot, Doctor,or Leupy Delta Point you can keep the wt quite low.

View All Quotes

Looking forward to see some, and the smallest optic I will go is a Micro Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By JoshAston:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshAston:

Yea, but how do you mount a light to it?

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:44:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#26]
Looking forward to see some, and the smallest optic I will go is a Micro Aimpoint.  
View All Quotes

With the micro Aimpoint on my wife's carbine I am at 6lbs 4oz looking at a Haley keymod Thorn Tail Insight light right now.

With a Bushy super light 14.7 barrel a BCM KM10 or KM13 a GI flash hider I am pretty sure I can have the Micro & the light and still
be under 6lbs...

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#27]

With the micro Aimpoint on my wife's carbine I am at 6lbs 4oz looking at a Haley keymod Thorn Tail Insight light right now.

View All Quotes

Photo?

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:38:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#29]
Photo?  
View All Quotes

Photo?  

url=http://s282.photobucket.com/user/9DivDoc/media/IMG_0002_zps7a73200f.jpg.html]
Right now this is at 6lb 2oz ...I could probably lighten the trigger group and the flash hider and hit 6lbs on the nose....decided to use parts I have laying around and build another lighter wt version as soon as BCM gets their new KM rail out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice, and a CTR stock should lighten it up some more.

I think I"ll do a similar build for my wife.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

MOE stock, ain't nobody got time for extra ounces of the lock tab.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Awesome table you have there.

Rifle ain't bad either, LOL
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:03:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexasRifleman] [#33]

Specs?

Guesses redacted.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

The CTR comes in at 9.2 oz my IMOD is at 9.5 oz

My wife however likes the IMOD better than the CTR due to the cheek rest area

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#35]
Originally Posted By TexasRifleman:
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae35/txshotguns/B4DEA9C9-CF4F-482F-841F-E9B0020564AE-2253-000002CB83791C32_zps6d1d8c4a.jpg
Specs?

I'm guessing:

14.5" midlength lightweight barrel with pinned vortex
BCM 10" keymod rail
Aimpoint micro
Vltor Imod stock
Magpul moe K grip
View Quote

Currently its wearing an NSR 11 (the BCM KM13 or MK10 will shave some oz's off)
Noveske 14.5 Skinny N4 (same barrel on Thunder Ranch edition) (Bushmaster Super Light profile will shave some Oz's off - I think)
BCM upper & lower (A polymer lower and an upper with no FA or brass deflector would be lighter)
Gunfighter Mod4 (medium) (1.1 oz same as GI)
Aimpoint micro,Tango Down covers, LaRue mount (HK mount) (I could go with an RMR or Vortex Razor red dot and shave a few more oz off) -Magpul flip up sights lighter still-
VLTOR IMOD (the CTR MOE would be a few oz lighter)
Magpul KGrip
Vortex FH (GI flash hider is 2.2 oz the Vortex is 2.9 oz)
Geissele SD-C (the GI trigger group is probably lighter but not sure if it would be lighter than the Geissele curved trigger groups or the ACT?)
BAD levers (GI should be a tiny bit lighter?)
BAD front pivot pin (GI is probably unnoticeably lighter)
Magpul polymer trigger guard
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:25:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#36]

This thread got me wondering.

Many people have said my rifle felt pretty light, so I decided to see exactly. 6.0lbs on the money with irons.

6.8spc 18" SS
All MOE furniture.

Scope & QD mount bring it to 7.0lbs
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#37]
Yep Josh's rifle... thats pretty much gonna be in 1st place forever

Everybody else is just jockeying around for 2nd place
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks, 9divdoc.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#39]
A few random thoughts:

We ALL need to keep pressure on Mag Tactical to offer their upcoming upper receiver without a forward assist or brass deflector!
We might ask them to branch out into Magnesium Pivot & Takedown pins also Safety Selectors
Mc Master Carr has aluminum hex head cap screws in the correct size for the pistol grip screws (already using them )

And I'll throw this barrel profile out for your thoughts:

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

MOE the to lose 1 ounce and I don't really like those cheek rest stocks like the IMOD.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#41]
MOE the to lose 1 ounce and I don't really like those cheek rest stocks like the IMOD.  
View All Quotes

Yeah but remember its not for you its for your wife
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#42]
A few random thoughts:

We ALL need to keep pressure on Mag Tactical to offer their upcoming upper receiver without a forward assist or brass deflector!
We might ask them to branch out into Magnesium Pivot & Takedown pins also Safety Selectors
Mc Master Carr has aluminum hex head cap screws in the correct size for the pistol grip screws (already using them )

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Post. ings%20photos/7473b699500b79860f2275ccc4258c51.jpg
View Quote

I have no qualms about no FA, but I'm leery of not having a deflector.  The pins/screws and selector are good ideas for the weight obsessed.  

As for the barrel, looks fine, my own plan involves an 11.5" with that profile.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Got some ranier arms goodness today...

<a href="http://s553.photobucket.com/user/rsmcginnes/media/photo-6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj397/rsmcginnes/photo-6.jpg</a>

Now all I have to do is figure out how to unglue that hand guard. :-/
View Quote

HOW!!!!!!!!

I am on their list.  I have not gotten a single email, for those uppers.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

HOW!!!!!!!!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Got some ranier arms goodness today...

<a href="http://s553.photobucket.com/user/rsmcginnes/media/photo-6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj397/rsmcginnes/photo-6.jpg</a>

Now all I have to do is figure out how to unglue that hand guard. :-/

HOW!!!!!!!!

Les Baer and Aero both offer the same upper.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:38:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: November5] [#45]
A few random thoughts:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Postings%20photos/7473b699500b79860f2275ccc4258c51.jpg
View Quote

I don't know that I'd trust magnesium pins, maybe scandium.  

Noveske already has a safety with plastic levers.  Hera has their BAD knockoff that i think is aluminum, not sure about the body, but the levers are definitely not steel.

ETA: you could shorten the tapered portion of your barrel profile significantly and lose a bit of weight.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#46]
I tried for months to get a price on 500 aero uppers without FA before giving up and talking to Rainier. Now they come to the party??
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Damn! How'd you do that?
View All Quotes

Damn! How'd you do that?

Easy......There is no barrel installed yet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Russ4777:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Russ4777:

Damn! How'd you do that?

Actually there is.  That's a fully functional rifle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#49]
A few random thoughts:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Postings%20photos/7473b699500b79860f2275ccc4258c51.jpg
View Quote

I really like your idea for the Magnesium Pivot and Takedowns pins/safety selectors etc... I'd have to have a brass deflector though!
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I tried for months to get a price on 500 aero uppers without FA before giving up and talking to Rainier. Now they come to the party??
View Quote

And they're cheaper than Les Baer and Rainier at only $95.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 38
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top