Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2013 10:19:55 AM EDT
Hi Guys,

You must be getting tired with all these questions about which AR to buy for X-budget.

Well, here's a twist. I don't live in the US, and only have a limited selection.

There's several german AR's, which are nice, but the lowers (generally) don't accept pmags, and they are a bit more expensive than the other options.

These prices will probably not make sense to you lucky guys in the US:
I can get a Bushmaster ORC for 1450 euro
Or a DPMS Oracle for around 1000
I can also get several older second hand colt sporters for around 1000-1200
A sig M400 goes for around 1400

A custom build is not an option, as I'm not allowed to buy the parts myself and build one. I have to buy a complete rifle. (and having a gunshop build one with good parts would be more expensive. In the 2k range)

Once I have an AR, I am allowed to buy parts to upgrade it, so thats what I'm planning to do.
So my question is, what would you buy, knowing you will eventually be upgrading/replacing pretty much everything except the upper and lower receiver (and I'd prefer to leave the BCG in there as well, as long as it works reliably).
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#1]
For your purposes, I'd pick the Sig.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If you plan to change almost everything, buy the cheapest - presumably the DPMS or one of the older Colts (assuming they are small pin etc.).
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
IMO Colt or Sig would be my choice.

Or hell, a Tavor.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I plan on upgrading almost everything, but it has to be serviceable from the start.
I was thinking the ORC might be better to start with rather than the DPMS, but the only reason was because it has a better barrel (4150 chrome lined M4-profile vs 4140 non-chrome lined lightweight).
Unsure about difference in BCG, which I intend to keep the longest of the internals. Unsure about the small lower parts + trigger as well. Trigger will probably be replaced or at least tuned fairly quickly though.

If the only real advantage is the barrel, it's not worth the price difference (1000 vs 1450).

Colts would have to be checked on pin configuration. Many people around here probably won't even know if they have small or large pins.
I've heard mixed thoughts on the sig. Some say it has some proprietary parts, but general consensus is they do accept any mil-spec part. Some say pmags drop free, some say they don't. Still a contenter, but the uncertainty is putting me off a bit.

Any thoughts on quality of the upper and lower receivers of either option? Or no noticeable difference between them, and should I just get the cheapest?
I'm leaning towards the DPMS, but only if the upper/lower receiver are just as good as the other choices.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO Colt or Sig would be my choice.

Or hell, a Tavor.
View Quote

No tavor, will be getting an AR for sure, but the other 2 are still in the running.

Slightly put off from the sig though, but judging from reviews and several "x vs x" threads, it would probably be a better rifle than the bushmaster in the same price range.

So hard to make up my mind.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top