User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/8/2013 4:47:49 PM EDT
Colt 6920 or LMT?

They seem pretty much the same to me unless I am missing something, but the Colt has a nicer price tag
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer LMT personally but don't have any hard data to why.  They have always done well for me... i have never been disappointed by one.  Colt and LMT are fairly similar when it comes to quality.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You specify the Colt 6920, but which LMT are you looking at?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Which name do you like better? Go with that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Flip a coin.......but I do tend to lean towards LMT more
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
LMT
You can get a 14.5 if you want
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
LMT would be my personal choice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]
LMT
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
LMT
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#10]
LMT
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#11]
LMT
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Colt 6920 or LMT?

They seem pretty much the same to me unless I am missing something, but the Colt has a nicer price tag
View Quote

I would assume that you're looking at the LMT standard patrol model 16" which would be close to the Colt 6920.

I've got two Colt 6920 and a LMT 16" carbines, LMT complete carbines have about 2 to 3 years backlog, but you could put together stripped upper half, BCG, CH, handguards, rear BUIS and complete lower from different dealers and it will cost usually more than the Colt 6920.

The complete LMT standard patrol model 16 comes from the factory with semi-auto BCG and standard carbine buffer, single layer heat shield M4 handguards, fixed LMT rear sight with elevation adjustment, ERGO grip, and 6 position mil-spec size receiver extension.

Minor differences are the LMT have no phosphate finish under the front sight base, but nobody reported any corrosion problems since they were produced in 2004.

Colt have finish under the front sight base, comes with full auto BCG, H heavy buffer, two layer M4 mil-spec handguards, Magpul MBUS2 folding rear sight, A2 grip, and mil-spec 4 position M4 buttstock.

Both use mil-spec steel barrel HPT & MPI tested each and every one, chrome lined, 1/7 twist, 5.56 NATO chamber, M4 feedramps, mil-spec forged upper and lower receivers, HPT & MPI tested bolts, and mil-spec size buffer tubes.

I had to upgrade my LMT semi-auto BCG and std. carbine buffer to full auto LMT BCG and H heavy buffer to improve its reliability, LMT bolts comes with mil-spec extractor Crane O-rings, Colt does not come with extractor O-rings.

The bottom line are the features you personally prefer, grip type, rear sight type, do you want to upgrade the BCG and buffer, etc.

Myself since I'm a very long time Colt owner for 42 years I'm leaning towards my Colts, I've only had my LMT for 8 years, but I like both of them.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
colt. ill pass on the mim lmt gas key. google image search the staking on a mim gas key and tell me its right. nope nope nope
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]
LMT
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#16]
You really can't go wrong either way...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to always say colt   I have a 6920 modified the way I like but I recently bought an lmt lm8mws (308).  All I can say is wow. Lmt makes a hell of a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Colt 6920
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a LMT and I love it
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You specify the Colt 6920, but which LMT are you looking at?
View Quote

good point sorry, just the standard patrol model
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#21]
LMT.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would assume that you're looking at the LMT standard patrol model 16" which would be close to the Colt 6920.

I've got two Colt 6920 and a LMT 16" carbines, LMT complete carbines have about 2 to 3 years backlog, but you could put together stripped upper half, BCG, CH, handguards, rear BUIS and complete lower from different dealers and it will cost usually more than the Colt 6920.

The complete LMT standard patrol model 16 comes from the factory with semi-auto BCG and standard carbine buffer, single layer heat shield M4 handguards, fixed LMT rear sight with elevation adjustment, ERGO grip, and 6 position mil-spec size receiver extension.

Minor differences are the LMT have no phosphate finish under the front sight base, but nobody reported any corrosion problems since they were produced in 2004.

Colt have finish under the front sight base, comes with full auto BCG, H heavy buffer, two layer M4 mil-spec handguards, Magpul MBUS2 folding rear sight, A2 grip, and mil-spec 4 position M4 buttstock.

Both use mil-spec steel barrel HPT & MPI tested each and every one, chrome lined, 1/7 twist, 5.56 NATO chamber, M4 feedramps, mil-spec forged upper and lower receivers, HPT & MPI tested bolts, and mil-spec size buffer tubes.

I had to upgrade my LMT semi-auto BCG and std. carbine buffer to full auto LMT BCG and H heavy buffer to improve its reliability, LMT bolts comes with mil-spec extractor Crane O-rings, Colt does not come with extractor O-rings.

The bottom line are the features you personally prefer, grip type, rear sight type, do you want to upgrade the BCG and buffer, etc.

Myself since I'm a very long time Colt owner for 42 years I'm leaning towards my Colts, I've only had my LMT for 8 years, but I like both of them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt 6920 or LMT?

Thanks for the side by side, I appreciate it.
Sounds like everybody is pretty split. I know I cant go wrong with either. I have built all of my previous rifles, but my department mandates a factory built rifle (for liability I guess...). I wanted to go BCM or DD because Ive always wanted one but for some reason they are not on the approved list at this time
I may bite on the colt if I find one at wally world, I may have to hunt a little harder for the LMT.
Thanks folks
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#23]
If my count is correct, we have 12 LMT Votes (+1 more from Aimless, if considered a "vote" vs statement of no corrosion under the non-parked FSP) VS 4 Votes for Colt.  

12 to 4 in favor of LMT.  Not really a split, more like a landslide.  Both make excellent products.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#24]
LMT
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#25]
LEWIS MACHINE AND TOOL.

But get a MRP or LM8.  

Get a complete SOPMOD lower for $472.78 from Rainier.

Add the 16" upper for 511.43

Auto BCG $185.00

$1169.21 plus 7.95 and x-fer fee at your FFL.

What's the 6920 cost you?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If my count is correct, we have 12 LMT Votes (+1 more from Aimless, if considered a "vote" vs statement of no corrosion under the non-parked FSP) VS 4 Votes for Colt.  

12 to 4 in favor of LMT.  Not really a split, more like a landslide.  Both make excellent products.
View Quote

also have a few basically either or are good to go.
What I meant was there was really no major issues/serious differences differentiating between them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I have to admit that I'm somewhat surprised by the number of people recommending the LMT over the Colt, assuming, as the OP has confirmed, that we're talking about simple, 16" M4 variants.

Which is not to say that LMT makes a poor or inferior product, I very much like and own LMT products, however, IMHO, in comparing basic 16" M4 patrol carbines, it should be practically no contest:

The Colt has the lower price and the wider distribution, i.e. the trifecta of easier to find, faster, and cheaper.  That, to me, is a big check in its box.

While relatively minor issues, the Colt has the more desired function components - the full weight BCG and the "H" buffer, as well as the, I daresay, more popular, though it's not at all my preference, MBUS flip-up BUIS.  

The LMT, in a part for part comparison has nothing to recommend it other than two more positions of the receiver extension, and an Ergo grip - parts replaced, if so desired, for under $100 combined, and in other words, not enough to make up for the extra you'd pay over the Colt...

Unless you're factoring in the notorious "fit and finish" and/or politics, the complaints against Colt have always been their price and non-standard parts (most recently, FCG pin sizes).  The newest iteration of the LE6920, whatever other complaints you might have about the "2013-configuration," dispense with both of those.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What I meant was there was really no major issues/serious differences differentiating between them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than the fact that the majority would opt for the LMT over the Colt, which has been made clear.

It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that Colt is the route to go despite the differing opinions you asked for and have been given. If that's the case, then by all means, get the Colt.

You don't need to twist the opinions given and make excuses over that. It's your cash.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
colt. ill pass on the mim lmt gas key. google image search the staking on a mim gas key and tell me its right. nope nope nope
View Quote

Would love to see your face when you realize how many of your other firearms have MIM part as well....not to mention the car your probably driving, or the jet engines that fly over your head everyday....did you think this was some new process with LMT?  Also its a nonissue......if it bothers you THAT much why dont you take that $1 part and swap it out......I LOVE IT when the LMT bashers come in and thier main arguement is a $1 piece of hardware....... Oh yea and just so you know guess who else uses MIM parts......COLT, Ruger,S&W,Kimber......just to name a few
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I have Colts so must naturally buy Colt
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#31]
People tend to gravitate towards what brands they own to validate their own purchase decisions.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Neither.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I've owned several rifles from bot companies

LMT is better. Colt's have tool marks all over and just feel cheaper when compared to LMT
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:42:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
While relatively minor issues, the Colt has the more desired function components - the full weight BCG and the "H" buffer, as well as the, I daresay, more popular, though it's not at all my preference, MBUS flip-up BUIS.  

The LMT, in a part for part comparison has nothing to recommend it other than two more positions of the receiver extension, and an Ergo grip - parts replaced, if so desired, for under $100 combined, and in other words, not enough to make up for the extra you'd pay over the Colt...

~Augee
View Quote

LMT chopped carry handle > MBUS
LMT charging handle > stock charging handle
There's also the LMT bolt with the cut by the lugs. The LMT has a few things going for it over the Colt.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
People tend to gravitate towards what brands they own to validate their own purchase decisions.
View Quote

I don't own either, but have handled both.  I chose LMT because I've seen better customer service from them towards members here and from other sites than I have seen from Colt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:42:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I've owned both and have used both extensively. Neither rifle will let you down. Fit and finish LMT wins hands down, Colt leaves tool marks, rough edges, and the exterior is just sloppy in general. Either rifle is an excellent choice, but my money would go to LMT.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
LEWIS MACHINE AND TOOL.

But get a MRP or LM8.  

Get a complete SOPMOD lower for $472.78 $449.14 from Rainier.

Add the 16" 14.5" upper for 511.43  $485 @ dsg

Auto BCG $185.00  Full auto

add charging handle $25

add matech buis $45

$1189.21 plus 7.95 and x-fer fee at your FFL.

What's the 6920 cost you?
View Quote

LMT all the way(edited in red, and it includes a $200 SOPMOD stock.)
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Price wise I say the Colt is better bang for your buck.  But I believe LMT does a few tweaks to the bolt with a sand groove I believe and finished I think in NiB that is not in the mil-spec bolt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#39]
garretts1776, does the dept. specify which models you are able to purchase?  What will it's intended role be (just patrol or will you be using it for personal use as well)?  What prices are you seeing the 6920's at?  Will you be modifying it in any way (IE rails, stock, etc.)?  If model is not a requirement, I highly suggest you check out the LMT MRP platform.  For ~$1600-1700 you get a monolithic upper, quick change barrel / caliber/piston/DI capability,  a nice set of irons, SOPMOD stock and it is built like a tank.  I know the price is a bit more but when factoring in a rail and stock, not to mention the various configurations you can run it in, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.   The LM8 is a slick version of the MRP platform. Good luck in your decision making process and stay safe!

Edit - G_MAN hit my other point spot on, you can obtain a LMT patrol for a bit less than previously quoted.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Colt>LMT

I'd pick the one that others reverse engineer from.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Colts come with larger gas ports than the LMT?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Colt>LMT

View Quote

You mean buy ArmaLite?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Colt>LMT

View Quote

What is it with these guys with "Glock" in their names and Colt?

This sounds like a pretty spot on response from "GLOCKREAPER."

Glock minds must think alike I guess.

I'm a Sig pistol guy so I guess that's why I'm immune to the Colt fairy dust.

In seriousness though, it's these types of comments regarding Colt that frankly make me laugh, and at the same time, make me hope several who browse these forums seeking advice don't get persuaded into a Colt solely because of a few blind followers all hopped up on a rollmark.

If one simply came along and said Colt was a great and reliable rifle, there'd never be any arguments about it whatsoever. It's when this TDP and reverse engineering crap is brought up implying that Colt is some be all end all rifle while every other is a second class imitator when the lines of good advice and misleading people are crossed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You mean buy ArmaLite?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt>LMT

You mean buy ArmaLite?

When Colt bought out Armalite it was a prototype not in production. Since than Colt brought to production and made changes to the platform. Is this not true?

I know there are a lot of Colt haters here but please stick to the facts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In seriousness though, it's these types of comments regarding Colt that frankly make me laugh, and at the same time, make me hope several who browse these forums seeking advice don't get persuaded into a Colt solely because of a few blind followers all hopped up on a rollmark.

If one simply came along and said Colt was a great and reliable rifle, there'd never be any arguments about it whatsoever. It's when this TDP and reverse engineering crap is brought up implying that Colt is some be all end all rifle while every other is a second class imitator when the lines of good advice and misleading people are crossed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt>LMT

You sir own the best status symbol's.

Glock and Colt = reliable
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt>LMT

And everything not Glock or Colt is not reliable? Only Glock and Colt know how to manufacture quality firearms? Help me understand.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

LMT quit making them because of people bitching, which is funny because in testing the MIM key proved more durable than the forged.

I won't take MIM from just anyone, but I will from LMT.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have to admit that I'm somewhat surprised by the number of people recommending the LMT over the Colt, assuming, as the OP has confirmed, that we're talking about simple, 16" M4 variants.

Which is not to say that LMT makes a poor or inferior product, I very much like and own LMT products, however, IMHO, in comparing basic 16" M4 patrol carbines, it should be practically no contest:

The Colt has the lower price and the wider distribution, i.e. the trifecta of easier to find, faster, and cheaper.  That, to me, is a big check in its box.

Unless you're factoring in the notorious "fit and finish" and/or politics, the complaints against Colt have always been their price and non-standard parts (most recently, FCG pin sizes).  The newest iteration of the LE6920, whatever other complaints you might have about the "2013-configuration," dispense with both of those.  

~Augee
View Quote

I have to agree with this. The MRP is a great gun, but the patrol model (while still solid) is sucking hind tit in their lineup.

I don't really think the buffer and BCG is that big a deal(as LMT tends to cut their ports to the minimum spec) and the stress relief groove behind the lugs borrowed from the enhanced bolt is nice, but the Colt is more common and standard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#49]
If I had to choose between the two it would be LMT. Honestly, neither one would be on my short list though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#50]
both
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top