BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2013 10:37:25 AM EDT
Hello Everyone:

I have handguns and I am looking for my first Assault Rifle. I am going to be using it for Home Protection and Training. My budget is $1000 - $2000. The only one I really have done extensive research on is the Noveske and that looks like a great rifle to get. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

CodeBlack
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello Everyone:

I have handguns and I am looking for my first Assault Rifle. I am going to be using it for Home Protection and Training. My budget is $1000 - $2000. The only one I really have done extensive research on is the Noveske and that looks like a great rifle to get. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

CodeBlack
View Quote

I prefer the term "Modern Sporting Rifle" vs "Assault Rifle".  Noveske is a good choice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I am in the same boat as you- I CCW in Fla and shoot in jax. The AR world is new and your $ limits are mine also. I may go the DIY route, with all the reading it looks like a doable!.  Maybe with time the gurus will come out and give some pointers meanwhile - good luck
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I prefer the term "Modern Sporting Rifle" vs "Assault Rifle".  Noveske is a good choice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello Everyone:

CodeBlack

I prefer Assault Rifle because that's what it is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello Everyone:

CodeBlack

Negative.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Negative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello Everyone:

CodeBlack

Negative.

If we want to get technical the AR's sold to Citizens are very different military Ar 15's. But it is still not your average rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hello Everyone:
CodeBlack

Assault rifle is a term that originated in Germany as Sturmgewehr.  An assault rifle has select fire capability.

A civilian non-NFA AR15 is only sem-automatic.  It is a semi-automatic rifle.

The term assault weapon was coined by the democrats in the 90's to describe scary black guns to pass the assault weapons ban.

If you're new to the AR, then the first think to know is that AR does not stand for Assault Rifle.  It was named by the original designer for Armalite and stood for Armalite Rifle.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If we want to get technical the AR's sold to Citizens are very different military Ar 15's. But it is still not your average rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello Everyone:

CodeBlack

Negative.

An assault rifle is a select fire, magazine fed weapon in an intermediate caliber. AR-15's are not select fire, and function just like any other semi-automatic rifle. MSR is a better fit, or just AR, or whatever. But an AR-15 is not an assault rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello Everyone:

CodeBlack

Negative.

Do you consult the liberal media for your terminology?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello Everyone:

CodeBlack

That's not what it is. DO NOT buy into the liberal media's attempt to change the definition. If we adopt their terminology, they will own the debate.
"AR' stands for Armalite Rifle. Not assault rifle.

An assault rifle fires more than one bullet with each trigger pull. The AR-15 is simply a semi-automatic rifle that fires an intermediate cartridge. It's a civilian adaptation of a military assault rifle.

To answer your question, Noveske makes some fine products. You won't be disappointed. I would recommend a 14.5" barrel with a pinned flash hider, or if you think you might upgrade later, a 16" with a removable flash hider. For home defense, shorter and lighter is better. you'll want a flashlight mounted on it for sure. A red dot sight could also be beneficial if you're into those. My current HD setup has a light and fixed iron sights. If I'm in my house and engaging targets that close quarters, I doubt I'll really be aiming down the sights much at all. With the light on I can see the irons just fine anyways.  I might add an RDS in the future, but its not in the budget now. First i need to get my SBR stamp.  

This is a 10.5" barrel. This little pistol is a blast on the range, the Rainier Arms barrel is very accurate. The smaller package is much more maneuverable in tight quarters. It will be even better when I can put a real stock on it.

ETA: The muzzle device is a Troy Claymore linear brake. I chose it with the hope that it will direct more of the concussion towards what im shooting at, hopefully saving my ears a little grief, since sound suppressors aren't legal in my state. If you can legally own one, on-gun hearing protection would be beneficial for a HD carbine as well.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Negative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello Everyone:

CodeBlack

Negative.

First lesson. Just because the idiots on TV use the term "assualt rifle" does not make it correct. It needs to be capable of either burst or full-auto to be deemed an "assualt rifle". At least this is how I view it. An AR-15 is semi-auto only. No happy switch. It's maybe a little closer to being an "assualt rifle" then a Ruger 10/22. Also note, those "high-capacity clips", are really normal capacity magazines. Using the term "clip" makes a person sound like an idiot. A swift punch to the face is so ordered for correction.

Welcome!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#11]
A little fellow 13'er advice.  Joining a forum and then defining that forum for members who have a join date next to their name all the way back to 2001 is not the way to win friends and influence people.  That said welcome!  I was not new to the AR when I joined but I am a newbie to site membership since January. I highly recommend your reading some NFA nomenclature and the history of Armalite, Eugene Stoner, etc.  It may help smooth your entrance here.  

Now then with your budget I would look at Spikes, BCM, and Daniel Defense.  Noveske and KAC maybe options for you also. Your choice on how much you wanna spend on a modern sporting rifle.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
/snip

View Quote

We would love to get technical... OBVIOUSLY you're not ready for that.

What is an average rifle?  What AR15 is the military issued?  Clip or Magazine?  Come on were are just waiting to be technical...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I am far from a Liberal. And I am not going to get into Politics with you. Maybe you should tell them to change the name. AR to MSR 15
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I am far from a Liberal. And I am not going to get into Politics with you. Maybe you should tell them to change the name. AR to MSR 15
View Quote
AR stands for Armalite Rifle, not assault rifle.  You should read up.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're from New Jersey. You must be a libtard!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Read more post less bub.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Going from bad to worse.  Wondering if somebody is guarding the bridge right now?

EDIT: Rather than ad a new post I will just edit this one to say full fledged troll in action.  He is wanting us to feed the monkey.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, I bet you think AR stands for Assault Rifle. It actually stands for ArmaLite Rifle. You aren't going to make any friends around here (especially in this political climate) if you continue demonizing the platform.

That said, I think a Noveske is an Excellent choice given your budget. I would also consider a Larue if it were not for the obscene waiting list. One other point of consideration... when you say $1000-2000, do you mean for the base rifle or the complete gun ready to go to a range/training class/etc.? Parts and accessories add up fast and you'll blow through $2000 in a heartbeat if you were thinking optic, BUIS, light, sling, fore grips and the like. For example, a Surefire light designed for use on an AR can easily run you $300+, and any good red dot is going to be $400+. If you want the most bang for your buck, you may want to keep an eye out for Palmetto State Armory's $1000-1100 mid-length premium rifle with included Aimpoint Pro Patrol red dot optic.  That would leave you enough cash left over for ammo, light, sling, range bag, etc.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wondering if somebody is guarding the bridge right now?
View Quote

Yes I am. STOP YELLING AT ME!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Well I guess the Military is Wrong then.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for coming here and straightening us all out.  You clearly already know more than us, and do not really need any tips from us.

IBTM
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Thanks for coming here and straightening us all out.  You clearly already know more than us, and do not really need any tips from us.

IBTM
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IBTM
Well said.  I think somebody is watching to see if his thread gets a flame stuck on it?

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP, I bet you think AR stands for Assault Rifle. It actually stands for ArmaLite Rifle. You aren't going to make any friends around here (especially in this political climate) if you continue demonizing the platform.

That said, I think a Noveske is an Excellent choice given your budget. I would also consider a Larue if it were not for the obscene waiting list. One other point of consideration... when you say $1000-2000, do you mean for the base rifle or the complete gun ready to go to a range/training class/etc.? Parts and accessories add up fast and you'll blow through $2000 in a heartbeat if you were thinking optic, BUIS, light, sling, fore grips and the like. For example, a Surefire light designed for use on an AR can easily run you $300+, and any good red dot is going to be $400+. If you want the most bang for your buck, you may want to keep an eye out for Palmetto State Armory's $1000-1100 mid-length premium rifle with included Aimpoint Pro Patrol red dot optic.  That would leave you enough cash left over for ammo, light, sling, range bag, etc.
View Quote

And a training course. Which I am going to go out on a limb and say you would benefit from, OP.

Welcome to forum, but you might want to read a little (a lot) before you go to war with other- more educated- members.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#24]
/Troll

ETA: A 13'er from Joisey... Whadda ya expect.

PS. I always kinda liked the term "paramilitary rifles".  That's what the old Shooters Bible called them back in the "80's.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
You need to cite a wild claim like that.  Here, let me show you how to do that.

(Page 3)

Early Colt AR-15s, their magazines, and their operator’s manuals were marked with

ArmaLite’s name. Colt’s retained the AR-15 designation on commercial rifles. To this

day Colt’s has a model designation with the letters AR, which stands for "ArmaLite”.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

/Troll
View Quote

It's Chris Christie
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Please elaborate.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

(Page 3)

Early Colt AR-15s, their magazines, and their operator’s manuals were marked with
ArmaLite’s name. Colt’s retained the AR-15 designation on commercial rifles. To this
day Colt’s has a model designation with the letters AR, which stands for "ArmaLite”.

http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/History.pdf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Page 3)

And Armalite made Assault Rifles.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Just stop digging, OP. You aren't going to get anything constructive out of continuing with your current line of comments.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

[action]swiftpunchtotheface[/action]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#31]
But whatever sorry guys didn't mean to upset you. I am here to learn about the rifle and I guess I was wrong. Lets start over and stick to the subject that I asked.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(Page 3)

My Apologies. You are right. The platform should be called AR-AR-15. I see a major recall coming down the pipe so that they can fix all those rollmarks.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Army defines an "assault rifle" as follows:

"Assault rifles are short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges."

So the military Is right, and you are alone in your ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#34]
And yes, ArmaLite did make Assault Rifles but the did not call them that. When Armalite was making guns for the military, they were Select Fire. The civilian version of this platform is semi-auto. It is NOT an Assault Rile.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I love guns I am all for guns. I am a NRA Life member. I joined this site to learn.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
But whatever sorry guys didn't mean to upset you. I am here to learn about the rifle and I guess I was wrong. Lets start over and stick to the subject that I asked.
View Quote

Yes, lets move on.

Noveske is a great choice in your price range. You should also look at   Daniel Defense, and BCM complete rifles.

ETA: Rainier Arms R.U.C. as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(Page 3)

Let me know when you start to read anything anyone has posted.  Your ignorance and stubbornness are astounding for someone claiming to have a desire to learn.

Let me explain it one more time with a reference.  Do try to read it this time.

-The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."

-AR-15-style rifles are NOT "assault weapons" or "assault rifles." An assault rifle is fully automatic -- a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.

-If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an "assault weapon," he or she either supports banning these firearms or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both. Please correct them. "Assault weapon" is a political term created by California anti-gun legislators to ban some semi-automatic rifles there in the 1980s.

-AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi-automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.

I'd like to see one reference for any claim you've made.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes, lets move on.

Noveske is a great choice in your price range. You should also look at   Daniel Defense, and BCM complete rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, lets move on.

there are several great rifles in your price range, and most will retain their value.  I personally prefer building my own rifles.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Let me know when you start to read anything anyone has posted.  Your ignorance and stubbornness are astounding for someone claiming to have a desire to learn.

-The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."

-AR-15-style rifles are NOT "assault weapons" or "assault rifles." An assault rifle is fully automatic -- a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.

-If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an "assault weapon," he or she either supports banning these firearms or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both. Please correct them. "Assault weapon" is a political term created by California anti-gun legislators to ban some semi-automatic rifles there in the 1980s.

-AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi-automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.

http://www.nssf.org/msr/facts.cfm

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Page 3)

Thank you

http://www.nssf.org/msr/facts.cfm

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Building is always a great way to go, and the finished product is something you will cherish for a long time. That being said in my experience I'm glad I bought my first rifle. It gave me the chance to learn the platform and figure out what I like and what I didn't. I laugh now at the shit I did to my first AR, but it gave me the ability to build a hell of a rifle on my second time through..
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#41]
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Tactical-Rifles.cfm?cat_id=552

They say Tactical is there a difference between Assault and Tactical. Just asking
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

They say Tactical is there a difference between Assault and Tactical. Just asking
View Quote
"Tactical" is 99% marketing terminology. A similar term that gained a lot of popularity with manufacturers a few years ago was "Zombie". Even EOTech stooped low enough to make a Zombie RDS.

EDIT:

This is what most people "in the know" think when they hear the term "Tactical" (also read as "Tacticool").

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its just a way for them to group like items together. "Tactical" is a buzzword.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
"Tactical" is 99% marketing terminology. A similar term that gained a lot of popularity with manufacturers a few years ago was "Zombie". Even EOTech stooped low enough to make a Zombie RDS.  

EDIT:

This is what most people "in the know" think when they hear the term "Tactical" (also read as "Tacticool").

http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tacticool-ar-15-1024x485.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tacticool-ar-15-1024x485.jpg

Nice Rifle. What make is that?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EDIT:

aaaaaaannnnnd, I'm done here.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone feel trolled yet?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

Colt 6920
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Anyone feel trolled yet?
View Quote
first page post 18 i believe see guarding bridge reference.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#49]
So- all the rest aside. I dont have a gunsmith in my pocket. Are there clear manuals out there for the DIY and if so can you mention the ones you trust?

thanx
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EDIT:

Wow.  Well.  Ya'll have a great evening.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top