Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2013 8:32:49 AM EDT
Arfcom billet upper in my future, so I have the option. What are some benefits of a forward assistless upper?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean lines, slight decrease in weight.... other than that not much.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Arfcom billet upper in my future, so I have the option. What are some benefits of a forward assistless upper?
View Quote

There are literally HUNDREDS of threads beating this to death.

Here is  a link to a thread where I listed links to quite a few other threads:

LINK
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Fewer parts to buy. Less weight. Cost and weight savings isn't really a concern on a billet anything.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Good reliable rifle don't need one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Because silently chambering a round has no tactical value?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can do that with your thumb.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll never use it, but I get twitchy when I hold one without it.

Just looks and feels so wrong.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I certainly cant say your way wont work, and you certainly cant say mine wont. So we'll just have to agree to disagree and call it diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Id much rather have a FA for all its (no matter how minute) benefits than not.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you silently chamber a round with your thumb without the FA?

I can tell you of one specific case outside of combat where it is useful.   A friend was hunting with an AR and forgot to chamber a round.  When he initially pulled the trigger and nothing happened he had to chamber a round....quietly, as the two deer were very close.   Without a forward assist to get the round fully into battery I don't believe he could have made the shot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I can tell you of one specific case outside of combat where it is useful.   A friend was hunting with an AR and forgot to chamber a round.  When he initially pulled the trigger and nothing happened he had to chamber a round....quietly, as the two deer were very close.   Without a forward assist to get the round fully into battery I don't believe he could have made the shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You thumb the bolt carrier (recessed bit), thereby pushing the bolt and round into the chamber. It is super easy to do. I run FAs on all my ARs but I know people who swear by this method.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You thumb the bolt carrier (recessed bit), thereby pushing the bolt and round into the chamber. It is super easy to do. I run FAs on all my ARs but I know people who swear by this method.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah  I see what you're talking about now.  Duh...never tried that before.  Thanks for pointing that out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't used a forward assist in 38 years of shooting M16's and AR's. I could see where it might be useful during a sustained engagement, and your weapon is getting dirty, but if one good round is hard to chamber subsequent ones will be too. If a factory round is that out of spec, or you are shooting a reload that possibly missed the re sizing stage, pounding on a FA will just jam it in there tighter. Seems like it would be best to eject that round to the ground and chamber another. One round of ammo is cheap, compared to tying up your weapon with a round that won't fully chamber. I have an L.E. Wilson cartridge gauge for .223 /556mm, and every round I buy or reload, I check it in that gauge. If the round doesn't enter that gauge easily, and fall out easily. the bullet gets pulled and that case gets re sized.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During my tour in Vietnam and many night ambush sets..used my FA often...I do not want an AR without one except perhaps as a range rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I vote with

I like them, use them after a press check

NEED? probably not for a range gun, no
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll never build a personal rifle with FA again.  I've got two that need to have the uppers replaced.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I love my rainier non/FA uppers
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll never build a personal rifle with FA again.  I've got two that need to have the uppers replaced.
View Quote

HUGE +1
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except they're never in stock anymore.  Les Baer let me do a pre-order about six weeks ago, they said it'd be eight weeks, it's shipping tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

LINK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

There's probably a dupe for every thread on this website!  The search options suck for non-team members that's one of the things I miss most thanks for the link. I'm thinking this is gonna be a 3gun type build, but it's also going to be my favorite I think. I'd like to see the Arfcom upper with the FA, I like the look of the nonFA upper. Thanks for the reply fellas
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are these currently available for sale? Not seeing them in store
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#23]
When I chamber a round in the dark I ride the charging handle and make sure the bolt closes with the forward assist.
Actually I ride the CH a lot, most of the time the extractor will pop over the rim of the case, but occasionally a little encouragement from the FA is needed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When I chamber a round in the dark I ride the charging handle and make sure the bolt closes with the forward assist.
Actually I ride the CH a lot, most of the time the extractor will pop over the rim of the case, but occasionally a little encouragement from the FA is needed.
View Quote

Why do you ride the CH?

So you're using the FA to fix a problem you caused?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I never use it but I can't bring myself to build without it. I was goin to get a MUR without but I took what was available and I sleep better at night.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Have it come apart in your rifle to damage the rifle, has been my experience with the forward assist.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Except they're never in stock anymore.  Les Baer let me do a pre-order about six weeks ago, they said it'd be eight weeks, it's shipping tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get either the Model 1 Sales or RRA 9mm uppers and drill the gas tube hole.  Clean, no FA or Deflector.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Have it come apart in your rifle to damage the rifle, has been my experience with the forward assist.
View Quote

Really, can't say I ever heard that one before. Did the pin break that holds the internals.....in?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#30]
A quality good functioning rifle does not need one.

However all ammo is not created equal.  Ammo prevents complete bolt closure more than anything.  I've seen guns lock up and there wasn't anything that would easily be done without a forward assist.

Forward assist for the win.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why do you ride the CH?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you ride the CH?

I ride the CH to load the weapon reasonably quietly.
I do it that way at other times so I stay reasonably proficient at it when I need or want to be quiet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I do it that way at other times so I stay reasonably proficient at it when I need or want to be quiet.
View Quote

That is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you ride the CH?

How? You must be using the FA.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A quality good functioning rifle does not need one.

However all ammo is not created equal.  Ammo prevents complete bolt closure more than anything.  I've seen guns lock up and there wasn't anything that would easily be done without a forward assist.

Forward assist for the win.
View Quote

Only thing that I've ever had hold the bolt open was Kuwaiti sand, and the forward assist wasn't able to close it enough to avoid an out of battery failure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you ride the CH?

Not sure what your question is.
If you are asking how my bolt will close without the FA; I don’t use the o-rings, just a spring with the black insert.
I also use the CS flatwire op springs which are a little stronger especially with CAR stock setups.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top