Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 1:57:54 PM EDT
Getting old and eyes going bad.  Can’t seen the front sight blade very well.  I was thinking of painting the front sight white.  Make it stand out better.  Good idea? What kind of paint should I use?  Thank
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi,I am in the same boat and what i done was clean off the front sight with alcohol and i painted the tip of the front sight blade with appliance white (like what you would paint a clothes washer with). It has helped me alot they also make HIVIS makes fiber optic sights but i did not care for it. it was a very fat blade. I hope this helps some,I am 56 and loosing my good eyesight too.Try some appliance white it worked for me.Hope it works for you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep the grammar Nazi stuff in GD - Eric802
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel your pain, but check these out, the .75 diopter ones work great for me. I can see my front sight clearly and still see the target as clear as when I had younger eyes. They don't look as cool as regular shooting glasses but they work very well.

Shooting Glasses
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can't SEE your front sight post......
View Quote

Just wait until you get older...then you will understand!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The link that Barvan40 posted? I use the Safety Reading Glasses, and they work great for both rifle and pistol.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I did that to one of mine to get a faster sight alignment when shooting pop-ups, the only thing is if your under a cover like some ranges have the shade totally blacks out any hi-vis color markings
so my fast pop ups are still 50/50.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hi,I am in the same boat and what i done was clean off the front sight with alcohol and i painted the tip of the front sight blade with appliance white (like what you would paint a clothes washer with). It has helped me alot they also make HIVIS makes fiber optic sights but i did not care for it. it was a very fat blade. I hope this helps some,I am 56 and loosing my good eyesight too.Try some appliance white it worked for me.Hope it works for you.
View Quote

What kind of paint should I use?  AR15 get really hot after a few firing rounds.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What kind of paint should I use?  AR15 get really hot after a few firing rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt the sight post gets very hot at all
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't SEE your front sight post......

lol  already there
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
what about this stuff:
http://www.brightsights.com/index.shtml
I've got an old Colt, Gold Cup that it my go to hand gun.  It has the Eliason sights, so unlike the new versions you can't swap out the sights without a gunsmith.  I have thought about painting that on the front sight but can't seem to bring myself to do it.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, I hear ya!

Well, I THINK I heard you.  My ears are going bad, too....

I've used regular copy paper "White-Out", the kind that comes with a little brush. It works well on pistols, too.

Degrease with acetone.  Apply.  Allow to dry.  It is no big deal to apply it every time you shoot.  It is tough enough for a day in the field, too, and unlike some paints doesn't chip easily and is easy to remove if you want to.

For winter field shooting with irons, I use garish, whorie red fingernail polish.  Works great and stands out against the snow and can be seen in the woods, too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe something like this seems like less hassle, don't know how well the composite would take bouncing around the truck and whatnot, that's be my only concern.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top