Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2013 1:04:12 PM EDT
I'm looking to free float the barrel on my AR and I'm looking for suggestions. The rifle has a standard front sight on the block and the gas system is carbine length.  I plan on only using a bi-pod and AFG on the handguard as I like simple setups.

I've been looking at the Midwest Industries G2. The upside to this model is that it has all the rail space I could ever want and it uses a standard barrel nut. The downside is that it has way more rail space than I will ever use and it's much heavier than other slick sided handguards because of that.

I'm not against the idea of buying used but the EE is a total mess.

Do you have any other suggestions that:

• Don't require me to remove the barrel or the gas block (necessitating two-piece design)

• Come in a carbine length (7") or have a gap for the FS/GB like the extended MI G2

• Un-railed are preferable but not out of the question.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Its really not hard to remove the barrel nut and gas block etc.  Find a local friend who is willing and has the tools.

Here is a bunch of various manufactures of rail's and their links.

Troy Industries

Yankee Hill Machine

Samson

Midwest Industries

Daniel Defense

Centurion Arms

Vltor

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Centurian C4 cutout FTW. Love mine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty handy but I'd like to avoid taking the upper apart, as I have yet to build my first from the ground up. I do have local friends that have done this but for the sake of simplicity I was hoping there was an easy answer. Do you think that an extra 14 oz on the handguard will be noticable?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its really not hard to remove the barrel nut and gas block etc.  Find a local friend who is willing and has the tools.

Here is a bunch of various manufactures of rail's and their links.

Troy Industries

Yankee Hill Machine

Samson

Midwest Industries

Daniel Defense

Centurion Arms

Vltor

View Quote

I'm pretty handy but I'd like to avoid taking the upper apart, as I have yet to build my first from the ground up. I do have local friends that have done this but for the sake of simplicity I was hoping there was an easy answer. Do you think that an extra 14 oz on the handguard will be noticable?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Extra 14 oz?  Where are you getting that number?

ETA:  I'd personally go Centurion or DD Omega.  With the Centurion you'll have to cut off the deltra ring but it's not all that hard.  BTW the handguard you'll be taking off has weight to it and so does the delta ring so in actuality you'll only be adding a few extra ounces, not the whole 14 you were thinking.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the product website for the MI G2:
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=422

I'd prefer to do the extended carbine if I was going to go with this model.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
its probably closer to an extra 5-6 when you remove the other garbage
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
its probably closer to an extra 5-6 when you remove the other garbage
View Quote

I only have standard issue plastic two piece handguards, but that brings up a good point. Thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top