Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 6:42:36 AM EDT
I've just ordered two lowers from RainierArms to start my first build. I know all the parts I will need in the end but I'm not sure how to pick out my upper I would rather purchase a complete upper due to lack of tools.
Pic of lower.

Can I order a 14.5 with out a ton of paper work?

or do I need to go with the 16"?

Any help or direction you guys or gals can give would be great. Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#1]
14.5 requires a pinned / welded muzzle device to a total length of 16" without getting a $200 stamp from Uncle Sugar for a SBR.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#2]
If your upper has a permanently attached muzzle device that brings it to 16", than go for it.  If not, you'd either have to have it pinned and welded or apply for a tax stamp, which would take 6+ months right now.  You could also build the lower up into a pistol lower.  There is a fourth, illegal option we won't discuss.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Pinned and welded muzzle devise makes you legal.  Rainer should be able to perform the task for $50
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as the 14.5 has perm attached flash hider that has an overall length of 16" before it is mated with a lower you can own the 14.5 without a tax stamp if it is not then you will need a tax stamp. You can order any length without any special paper work. Its the attaching it to a lower that requires paperwork for an sbr.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:52:44 AM EDT
[#5]
School me " Pinned" is that the same as staked?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  Pinned would be a hole drilled in the muzzle device and a divot drilled in the barrel to seat the pin.  Then the hole is welded shot.  It prevents the muzzle device from being removed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Ok
so as long as the overall length is 16 breach to tip I'm good?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Pinned would be a hole drilled in the muzzle device and a divot drilled in the barrel to seat the pin.  Then the hole is welded shot.  It prevents the muzzle device from being removed.

Ok

Yes, as long as the barrel is either 16", or you have a permanently attached device to bring it to that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help guys I'm going shopping.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#10]
If you get the 14.5 make sure to get it pinned/welded/whatever that its permanently attached to make 16".   Or just order the 16" one and call it a day.   Tools are easy and fairly priced now but most of the time you can find an upper very close to what you want for cheaper than buying it part by part.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you get the 14.5 make sure to get it pinned/welded/whatever that its permanently attached to make 16".   Or just order the 16" one and call it a day.   Tools are easy and fairly priced now but most of the time you can find an upper very close to what you want for cheaper than buying it part by part.
View Quote

Yea that's what I'm seeing, I think I've made up my mind I'm just waiting to hear back.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Keep in mind though that if you have aspirations to ever change handguards, gas blocks, the muzzle device itself, or other things that often have to come off the end of the barrel you can't just screw off the "permanently attached" muzzle device.  For the weight and handling of 1.5" of barrel material you give up quite a bit of flexibility, nevermind a louder, brighter flash and boom.  I'm not sure that you gain enough to outweigh what is lost.  Just food for thought before dropping the $$$.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keep in mind though that if you have aspirations to ever change handguards, gas blocks, the muzzle device itself, or other things that often have to come off the end of the barrel you can't just screw off the "permanently attached" muzzle device.  For the weight and handling of 1.5" of barrel material you give up quite a bit of flexibility, nevermind a louder, brighter flash and boom.  I'm not sure that you gain enough to outweigh what is lost.  Just food for thought before dropping the $$$.
View Quote

Oh yea, I temporarily forgot about not being able to remove the gas block and barrel nut in case of future handguard changes etc.

Good post jhend170.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#14]
why do you want a piston?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#15]
For your first AR, don't buy a 14.5" barrel and pin the muzzle device. Buy a 16" barrel so you can easily make changes as you start discovering what you like / don't like.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have to tend to agree with this.  I just got my first AR and got a 14.5 pinned BCM upper and I started looking into changing out the handguards just yesterday.  What a bitch it's gonna be.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top