Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:08:52 PM EDT
I have never shot a rifle before, but have always been interested in owning one and have to be honest... the AR15's when customized are BAD @$$!

Currently don't own any firearms as I had to let them go when my now 2nd X-Wife didn't want me having any firearms around the house, but have owned a 45 Ruger that I hated, 9mm S&W that was so-so at best, H&K USP 40 which I loved out of the box and a Benelli M3 Super 90 which I also loved (though my shoulder didn't the first time firing).

So on with some questions if you don't mind...

1. Looking at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nBwN31z-U (start around 3:45)... how much would something like this set me back and what other kind of improvements might you suggest? (money is no object as my motto is.. "Go Big or Go Home").

2. What would be the max distance the AR15 can shoot accurately?

3. What's your thoughts on a suppressor for the AR15 and what would the pro's vs con's of adding a suppressor be?

4. How would you rate the recoil in comparison to a shotgun like the Benelli M3?

Again... this would be my first venture into rifles and am really looking to get into this sport and possibly into some competition down the road. Also this is kind of a learning curve for the next rifle I already have lined up for next year... which is the H&K MR762A1 LRP. Figured I would be best served by taking baby steps before getting into that beast.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]

1. That gun is specific built to shoot long range. It has a krieger 20" barrel which is top quality, most likely a lighter pull match grade trigger, good optic, and a suppressor. Easily going to be over 3k with all of that stuff on it.
2. I shot 600 yards and was hitting a gallon jugs and a steel gong pretty accurately a few days ago. Shooting out of a rest and sandbags and taking in windage. But they are pretty damn accurate and most of the misses will come from the shooter and not the gun.
3. I would love to get a suppressor one day when I have an extra lump of money. Right now its just not feasible for me seeing how my money would be better spent stockpiling ammunition and reloading supplies. Also there is going to be a very long wait period to get a suppressor.
4. The recoil in a .223/5.56 is hardly noticeable. With a brake even less so!

A gun like the one in the video is purpose built for long range shooting so if thats what youre looking for, then go for it. But you could probably build a very nice SPR for well under 3k and even under 2k. Focus on the use you want to get out of a rifle and build the gun around that concept! My first AR was going to be a coyote/long range plinker. I went with a 3-9x scope, 18" 1/8 stainless barrel, and a nice bipod. My total is about $1650 in my gun and it does everything that I could ask for!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:13:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess you have the basics having shot pistols and shotguns. But a rifle is different. I suggest you buy a middle of the road AR and a lot of ammo and practice, maybe take a class or 2. At least buy some DVDs and watch videos, read a lot.

The way I was taught to fire the M16 and the way it's taught now are completely different. The old way is called chicken wing and is not the best way. The new way looks much better but is designed for wearing body armor. I will have to modify it and make my stance personal yet incorporate the newer methods. I am at least a few months away from my first purchase of my own AR. Find out what is correct and comfortable for you, buy a lot of ammo and magazines and go to the range and practice. Get your stance and you system down, it's about muscle memory. It's about doing the same thing over and over again the same exact way. Make sure you are doing it right the first time, it's harder to fix things once you get into bad habits.

Make sure you know how to clear the weapon and the proper sequence for malfunctions. I don't remember all of them and it's something I have to brush up on. Practice that too. Do all that until you can do it in your sleep. Practice until you are a proficient shot. Learn about the ins and outs of the system and what every thing does. Once you have all that down it's time to get a better rifle. Also learn about the different types of ammo so that you can figure out what ammo is best for your needs. All weapons respond differently to different ammo and it takes some time to find out what your rifle likes as to get the most out of it.

As for recoil, it's not that much, like a push on your shoulder. Look into a good rifle for about a grand. You can't go wrong with a Colt LE6920, best bang for the buck and most people will agree. Best resale value and you get a good rifle out of the box. No questions about mil-spec or quality of the parts. Once you know all the companies and the difference between commercial and mil-spec and the different materials used you can put together a specialized rifle for your specific needs.

I'm not a new guy in the sense I have worked with the weapon in the US Army. But this was a long time ago and I never owned my own, I will very soon and hopefully more than one. So I have done a lot of research on the rifle over the past few months.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome info from both you guys, thank you so much.

I'm just a few months away from making my purchase/s and really getting excited. I'm still not sure about if I want to go the silencer route or not but that's the least of my concerns right now. I was thinking of maybe trying my hand at reloading as well, which I was interested in doing when I owned my handguns but opted not too because of the cost. But this time around I am for sure going to take the plunge... no wife to tell me what I can't do...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_21/1199793__Long_Ranger__for_sale___RRA_AR15__20_in_HBar__SS_Scope__Magpul_PRS___more_.html

that's probably a good start for what you want, and it's at a good price as well. I'd get it while it's hot if you're looking to enter into some long range shooting. EE is a great place sometimes to find exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a work in progress buyer's guide to also educate you on what features you should be looking at.

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/the-ar15-buyers-guide-simple-steps-for-buying-a-great-rifle/

As for accuracy...

Chrome lined barrels can still wack things out to 600.

proud of that one.  Box stock A2 clone without fancy wiz bang free-float rails or NM sights. 55 grain American Eagle.

600 yards!

My first time shooting at that distance.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top