Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2013 4:22:55 PM EDT
I am taking my red dot off one of my rifles and want to run irons only. Should I keep the diamondhead BUIS as my main sights or get some fixed ones llike DD iron sights? I am tempted to get some fixed ones since I don't plan on putting optics on this rifle. What do you all think?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a fan of irons only. IMO, go fixed. I'm a big fan of the DD fixed sights.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If BUIS, emphasis on BU, keep the flip sights. If primary, used fixed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 get fixed for primary sights.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I love irons. A good set is fantastic even over varying distances.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not tried Diamondheads, but I have one rifle with the Daniel Defense A1.5 on it.  It's a very nice sight and very simple.  As I understand it, the apertures are not same plain.  Some people prefer it this way or the other.  I cannot confirm this though.  My opinion is that if the sights you have are good and reliable, leave it alone but if you want the DD setup it's a good one.  I chose it for the same reasons you mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
You know the LMT sight is pretty nice, I use one of those and also have the carry handle on another carbine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I will go fixed DD most likely they look nice and simple. I have shot through holographic, red dot sights, and scopes and I keep finding myself coming back to my a4 build with irons only. I hit just as well with that as I do with red dots so why not shoot through what I enjoy. Thanks for the opinions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
My carbine has the Colt carry handle and the LMT removable front sight.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I love irons. A good set is fantastic even over varying distances.
View Quote

Me too.

A .052" ball tip front sight and Diamondhead premium rear sight work for me out over 100 yards.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Iron site only here. Troy flip up on the rear std fixed site in front
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Well common sense would say that a fixed sight is more inclined to hold it's zero. No matter how tight something is if it has the ability to move it will. With a sight even a small movement will throw off your zero.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:05:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.  Daniel Defense makes high quality products and their detachable iron sights are no exception.  If you are careful in how you tighten them, they return to zero just fine.  - CW

https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/fixed-front-rear-sight-combo.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#13]
My advice would to just take the optic off, and keep the BUIS you currently have. Leard thr proper holdover for various ranges and become proficient with irons. Then put the opitc back on because you would only be losing an advantage by going irons only.

IMOYMMV etc...

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My advice would to just take the optic off, and keep the BUIS you currently have. Leard thr proper holdover for various ranges and become proficient with irons. Then put the opitc back on because you would only be losing an advantage by going irons only.

IMOYMMV etc...

View Quote

It is impossible to argue with this logic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+2 and pic of rifle please!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep the diamondhead......you will change your mind again, why waste money
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd go one step further and say if you are an iron sight only / mostly shooter like myself, get an A1 / C7 / A2 upper.  If you MUST go flat top, then get either the DD or LMT depending on what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#18]
It is hard to go wrong with irons and a 50 yard zero. If you can do the RBZO with LMT's cut down rear sight that would be a good set up. My LMT came with a carry handle. I'm assuming you can but I've never handled one.

Or like others said, learn your holdovers past 225 yards or so.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Iron site only here. Troy flip up on the rear std fixed site in front
View Quote

This is how I run my 14.7 middy, it works, and works well. The Troy rear BUIS is durable and light considering. I love it...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#20]
All irons here too.. I run a BCM handle and an A2 on both my rifles. That's a his and hers by the way..
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+3!  I learned to first shot using irons only.  My instructor drilled it into me!  He says anything other than iron sights is cheating and the easy way out .....
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+3!  I learned to first shot using irons only.  My instructor drilled it into me!  He says anything other than iron sights is cheating and the easy way out .....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

P.S.   We still both also use red dot optics.........
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I shoot irons on one of my ARs. I just seem to like them better. I don't know. I may take them off and buy the DD and keep the flip ups if I ever go back or for when I inevitably by another rifle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I love the challenge of iron sites. For target shooting I find it to be much more fun. There is also something slick about the way a rifle looks without optics. That being said outside of the range my rifle is currently wearing an SRS or eotech depending on what I'm feeling at the time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I love the challenge of iron sites. For target shooting I find it to be much more fun. There is also something slick about the way a rifle looks without optics. That being said outside of the range my rifle is currently wearing an SRS or eotech depending on what I'm feeling at the time.
View Quote

I find it more challenging as well. I shot my my M1A and FAL irons only. They saw way more use than any other semi auto rifle I have had until prices went crazy. Now I have a ton of 223/556 and load more so I was gonna start going to the range with my ARs, hence why I want to strip this one down to the irons only.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#26]

But, when a time comes to use your AR, do you want a challenge, or a increased chance of survival stemming from an optional piece of equipment that gives you an advantage?

In a nutshell: the guy with the red dot will most probably down the guy with irons and the guy with the magnified optic will down the guy with the red dot from farther away. Until we can legally own tanks, take all the advantages you can, now.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In a nutshell: the guy with the red dot will most probably down the guy with irons and the guy with the magnified optic will down the guy with the red dot from farther away. Until we can legally own tanks, take all the advantages you can, now.

View Quote

That's utter rubbish and total mall ninja thinking.  The man with the higher tech equipment wins?  Who puts out such garbage?  Cheap dime store tactical mail order catalog companies?  

First of all, optics are by far the end all be all, esp the battery powered ones.  Doesn't take much to fuck up an optic, cold weather kills batteries, etc.  I'd put my money on Fud and his familiar lever gun than some mall ninja with an AR15 and his uber red dot scope.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's utter rubbish and total mall ninja thinking.  The man with the higher tech equipment wins?  Who puts out such garbage?  Cheap dime store tactical mail order catalog companies?  

First of all, optics are by far the end all be all, esp the battery powered ones.  Doesn't take much to fuck up an optic, cold weather kills batteries, etc.  I'd put my money on Fud and his familiar lever gun than some mall ninja with an AR15 and his uber red dot scope.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Training should be already implied. But generally, the faster one on target wins.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Irons are pretty damn fast under 100 yds
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top