Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2013 7:19:26 AM EDT
Just finished first build and took out to range. Bolt doesn't lock back after last round fired. I tried several new unopened pmags and all did the same. So assume its not the mags. Troubleshooting help...
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#1]
what ammo are you shooting and whats your rifle setup? gas system, buffer weight, all that good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
ammo or buffer/spring. tulammo is known weak.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

what ammo are you shooting and whats your rifle setup? gas system, buffer weight, all that good stuff.
View Quote
A) Since you built the rifle; do you know how/did you properly lube the rifle for your range trip?

B) Who made your barrel?

95% chance that the rifle is under-lubed, or you're shooting weak ammo with an H or H2 buffer and the ammo doesn't have enough attitude to fully cycle the BCG. Do/did you have any failures besides not locking back on empty? (any short-strokes/failures to feed?)

Tula and Herter's (re-boxed Tula) are weak ammo and don't fully cycle rifles sometimes. If that's what you were shooting, you probably need more lube. It's common for rifles to need run somewhat wet with lube for a few hundred rounds until things wear in sufficiently and everyone gets happy.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#4]
With an empty mag in, does it lock back if you pull the bolt back with the charging handle?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you check for gas leaking at the front sight block?
Your buffer may be too heavy.

What ammo you using?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you assemble the lower/upper yourself or was it bought already assembled? You may have used the wrong spring for your bolt catch causing it to bind up. I've seen people use the disconnecter spring by accident which will cause what your describing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just finished first build and took out to range. Bolt doesn't lock back after last round fired. I tried several new unopened pmags and all did the same. So assume its not the mags. Troubleshooting help...
View Quote

Clean and lubricate weapon.

1. Insert empty magazine, pull charging handle to rear..... does bolt stay locked back.

2. Load one round Mil Spec ammo, fire round...... does bolt lock back?

3. Put in carbine weight buffer, repeat (2)

Answers?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't by chance have a B.A.D. Lever  or similar type device attached to your bolt release?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#9]
The build is an Armalite upper with...
-JP Enterprises full mass BCG
-Rainier Arms UltraMatch 14.5" middy
-JP Enterprises silent captured spring
-Surefire muzzle brake
-Larue low profile gas block
-Larue Stealth 13.2" handguard
-Geissele SSF trigger
- Tactical Link BAD

This was the first time to the range and have never put a round through it. I applied FireClean to the internal components and ran it wet. The ammo not sure I grab 20rds out of a few K I had loose. This builds purpose is a duty car and want it to take anything I feed it. I did notice the hammer rubs against the bolt catch and binds the bolt catch up when disassembled from the upper. You have to push the hammer towards the cocking position just a tad to free the bolt catch but didn't think this would contribute to the issue considering the hammer is in the locked position during battery.

Also the BCG does lock back on an empty mag when charging. Tried firing one round 4 times and had the same outcome with no lock back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
-Surefire muzzle brake
-Geissele SSF trigger
- Tactical Link BAD

This was the first time to the range and have never put a round through it. I applied FireClean to the internal components and ran it wet. The ammo not sure I grab 20rds out of a few K I had loose. This builds purpose is a duty car and want it to take anything I feed it. I did notice the hammer rubs against the bolt catch and binds the bolt catch up when disassembled from the upper. You have to push the hammer towards the cocking position just a tad to free the bolt catch but didn't think this would contribute to the issue considering the hammer is in the locked position during battery.
View Quote

Just try the simple setup on the bottom of the image, a standard buffer spring and a carbine weight buffer.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just try the simple setup on the bottom of the image, a standard buffer spring and a carbine weight buffer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/VLTOR%20A5%20stock/a5buffer5.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Surefire muzzle brake
-Geissele SSF trigger
- Tactical Link BAD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/VLTOR%20A5%20stock/a5buffer5.jpg

Sorry, double post.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
-Surefire muzzle brake
-Geissele SSF trigger
- Tactical Link BAD

Also the BCG does lock back on an empty mag when charging. Tried firing one round 4 times and had the same outcome with no lock back.
View Quote

This is more than likely your problem. Others have had the same issue, remove it and try again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
-Surefire muzzle brake
-Geissele SSF trigger
- Tactical Link BAD

View Quote

Remove the Tactical Link BAD and try again.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
If the bolt catch detent spring is over pressure, it won't allow the catch to operate quick enough to catch bolt when firing. It will manually operated. I ran across this a while back with some lower kits I bought from some one I normally did not buy from. Not something you normally run into, so it can chase you around. Hope this helps.
Craig.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What does that mean?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This builds purpose is a duty car

What does that mean?

im assuming he means it's purpose is a "duty carbine"?
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Check your bolt catch, spring and plunger.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Are you using Magpul 10 rounders?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top